Tipping Etiquette in Thailand

Hal65

I leave the paying and tipping up to my wife. She normally leaves a tip if the service has been OK. She normally gives the tip to the waiter/ess separately from the bill. If you leave a tip in the folder or leave change it should be shared by all staff. If you just want to tip just your waitress give it to them in their hand separately.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This topic turns up almost as often as "Where Can I Find a Good Pizza?" People who have worked in service industries where pay is low and good service is expected (waiting on tables, driving taxi, etc.) tend to be the best tippers. Rich people are the worst, generally.

The only place where I rather resent leaving a tip is at a coffee bar, where you order at the counter and pick up your own drink there. All over the world, the "Tip Box" has made an appearance on the counter. Thanks, Starbux! I guess it's worth it if they swirl a little heart picture into your cream.

---Ex Cab Driver

• Like 1

Tipping is not expected in Thailand. Thais are very straightforward with money, the price is the price and that's it (when speaking of restaurants and such, markets and such are different, there you can talk about discount).

That being said, I follow, and would recommend to others too, a tipping etiquette in which to leave a small tip when eating food which is cheap and good. For example, if the price is 35, just pay 40. If the price is 50-55, pay 60, and so on. In more expensive places I only tip if I feel like I have received a better than average service, which doesn't happen very often (as with more expensive places, I'm expecting a higher quality in service and food anyway).

Why would you recommend doing that?

In cheap places there is no need to tip, you are making a tit of yourself if you do, unless you are a tourist or just off the boat.

Generally, Thais don't tip people like in my country eg the barber, petrol pump attendant etc.

This topic turns up almost as often as "Where Can I Find a Good Pizza?" People who have worked in service industries where pay is low and good service is expected (waiting on tables, driving taxi, etc.) tend to be the best tippers. Rich people are the worst, generally.

The only place where I rather resent leaving a tip is at a coffee bar, where you order at the counter and pick up your own drink there. All over the world, the "Tip Box" has made an appearance on the counter. Thanks, Starbux! I guess it's worth it if they swirl a little heart picture into your cream.

---Ex Cab Driver

Don't usually tip cabbies just like I don't tip bus/train drivers.

It may not be expected but at MK Restaurants The server for some reason always waits after you receive the pay tray like they expect you to pay a tip. I hate this .Why don't they give you your change and leave

Its because they expect a tip . For what. We cooked the food.

they never do when I go there, which is every week.

When you receive your change you will often see that it includes, for example 50 to 100 baht in coins and maybe 5 x 20 baht notes.

The staff are anticipating that you will at least leave the coins and hopefully the small notes as well.

So yes, in these places the sataff expect a tip.

When you receive your change you will often see that it includes, for example 50 to 100 baht in coins and maybe 5 x 20 baht notes.

The staff are anticipating that you will at least leave the coins and hopefully the small notes as well.

So yes, in these places the sataff expect a tip.

if they are that blatent i would go out of my way to not leave a tip and collect every single coin

even if ended up giving it to a begger outside .........

I usually balance my tips at some where between 0% and 0% of the final bill depending on service provided.

Cheap bastards like you should stay home and eat out of your garbage can. They should have a minimum of 10% added to the bill so guys like you would have to dish it out.

• Like 2

In a restaurant I would leave 20+ any coins coming with the change, that is what my Thai friends does and only in a place that charge you 100 and up per dish and the food and service is good!

But if I go for a 2 hour Thai massage (only massage noting "extra") I will tip a 100 if it's good because the masseuse must work really hard with my 130kg!

Edited by Kasset Tak

I usually balance my tips at some where between 0% and 0% of the final bill depending on service provided.

Cheap bastards like you should stay home and eat out of your garbage can. They should have a minimum of 10% added to the bill so guys like you would have to dish it out.

in bkk its normally 10% service and 7% tax so every bill is padded by 17% anyway and i doubt the min wage staff get any of it

and taxman proabably doesnt either

are you suggesting to leave an additional 10-20% on top of the 17% ?

that would make the food pretty expensive and kill many restaurants in the process

Many restaurants have a 10% service charge in which case fark all is given as a tip. All other places are given 20 baht.

My suspicions are that the "service charge" is a ruse & unlikely to filter down to the staff. I therefore usually drop THB 20 in the tip box of my regular haunts which is appreciated.

I have asked at quite a few restaurants if the included 10% service charge is passed on to the staff and have found no

places that do. So I avoid these places and generally leave a 20 baht tip.

In a restaurant I would leave 20+ any coins coming with the change, that is what my Thai friends does and only in a place that charge you 100 and up per dish and the food and service is good!

But if I go for a 2 hour Thai massage (only massage noting "extra") I will tip a 100 if it's good because the masseuse must work really hard with my 130kg!

ever heard of diets ?

• Like 1

I leave the paying and tipping up to my wife. She normally leaves a tip if the service has been OK. She normally gives the tip to the waiter/ess separately from the bill. If you leave a tip in the folder or leave change it should be shared by all staff. If you just want to tip just your waitress give it to them in their hand separately.

I gave a tip to a waitress, in her hand, and when leaving I noticed it had gone into the "staff" tip box. Maybe some places have a policy that all tips are for the sharing around among staff.

Not again!

Think the tippers can be classified as:

1. Those who are stinking rich and never tip ( this is why in their sad lives they have become very rich and have no feelings for their staff and those less fortunate than themselves)

2. Those who tip silly amounts ( though must admit gave a 1000 baht tip to the guy serving your whisky and coke by mistake in a club)

3. Guys like myself who put a few coins in the folder and then give maybe 50 or 100 to the waiter / waitress. ( 100 baht means absolutely nothing to me- but makes a difference to the kid serving you)

4. Some are on a very tight budget and are not likely to tip at a small food stall-that's quite acceptable if you don't have much.

• Like 1

ive seen tables full of thais in suits spend a few thousand in a restaurant and leaving no tip or maybe just a 20 thb

definately not 15-20%

tips are american ,not thai ,i wouldnt worry about it too much

lol. go eat a bag of dicks.

tipping ? well, take the bills and leave the coins

The first time I visited Japan I did that. A few blocks down the sidewalk, the teen male server gasped up behind me, holding out the coins.

True, but Japan is the only place that I have ever had it happen in the world.

Well classy response

Please refer to my previous post.

I would guess that Spoonman is in category 1 or unfortunately is in category 4 ?

Am not sure- but of course as ever on TV his original post is a total wind up?

At places with service charge, street stands or bad service, usually 0.

Standard restaurants 20 THB + coins or less than 10%.

But this is not a fixed rule. Here it's 'up to me' and is not expected.

In case I really appreciate the service, what happens not so often, I happily tip a 100+ THB at a simple restaurant into the hand or 20 to 40% everywhere else. My idea is to develop good service staff by rewarding them.

• Like 2

Well classy response

I would guess that Spoonman is in category 1 or unfortunately is in category 4 ?

I do not fit into any of your categories.

Well classy response

Oh well never mind- maybe go back to counting that jar of satangs and give out a few in the next restaurant you visit- might make you feel good.

.....in a nightclub my Thai friend will tip the waiter 100 baht at the beginning of the evening !!

Very good idea for future good service. Which brings us to, how much, if at all, do you tip a regular restaurant?

Well classy response

Oh well never mind- maybe go back to counting that jar of satangs and give out a few in the next restaurant you visit- might make you feel good.

Why would I give my money away to a complete stranger ?

• Like 2

Because we live in a country where there is almost no social mobility- the( usually) young person who is serving you is on minimum wage.

He or she is probably living hand to mouth, sharing a room with others and does not have that luxury of thinking- where can I go on hols next week, oh dear Ethiad has put up the price of business class, let's pop into the Hilton for dinner.

They are certainly being hassled by the family to send money.

I have no idea about your circumstances , but I will never really worry about money for the rest of my life, but have no desire to splash out on a Porsche or spend crazy money on building houses etc.

Therefore giving a little can make a great deal of difference to a fellow human being. It adds up, and staff in a restaurant look in anticipation to sharing out the contents of the tip box.

Be a little more humane.

All the best.

• Like 2

I'll admit that after years and years, I still tend to ask my wife every time how much to tip (as she still asks me every time in US). Normally it's 20-40 baht in a mid-level restaurant or bar, although if one waiter is particularly helpful she'll hand money to that person. If you put it in their hand, as opposed to leaving with the bill, they can keep it themselves rather than split it. Also, as others have said, we never tip in a noodle shop.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I dont know either of you guys but if spoonman doesnt want to tip so be it. I have to admit his response made me chuckle. I know americans always tip as its part of their culture, the British, not so much. Theres always people at different ends of the spectrum, i respect the balls and decision of giving no tip but i also admire the generosity of someone like gerard052 willing to give more, i wish i was in a position to be able to do that.

Sent from my GT-P6800 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1