When is a moderator a member and when are they moderating

Langsuan Man

When moderators make a comment on the subject matter of a topic, unless they state specifically otherwise, they are stating their own opinion, and not that of Thaivisa. Members should feel free to politely challenge them, agree with them, or ignore them just as they would any other member.

When they are posting about behaviour, rules, allowed, or disallowed content, or any other point that is clearly moderating, then any discussion of it needs to be done in private. If you feel uncomfortable approaching the moderator, or as is often the case, they are unavailable, simply contact support@ and explain your concerns, with a link to the situation.

• Like 2

"I understand that one of the rules here at Thai Visa is that any comments about moderation or moderators are not tolerated in the forums..."

People criticize the Martial Law. Our Martial Law, or Marshall Law, in Thaivisa, has existed since its inception. LOL!

I was once told to get out of a Gay Forum because I was not Gay. I cried!

Then, a moderator, when questioned why gays can have their own forum and not the straights, answered that all other forums are for straight people. I certainly dared not to raise question there. I now wonder if being straight is at a disadvantage, being alloted less rights! I must be abnormal being a straight! I should hunt for a 21 year old gay partner as stated by a member in another thread! Ditto!

OP, I have debated the topic several times with moderators and no hard feelings. I don't think they see their comments on the topic as special.

It's only if you have an issue with moderation itself that you need to PM. One time Scott gave me a vacation because he misunderstood who I was replying to or something like that. I PM'd him and explained, and he lifted the suspension.

I would NOT want to be a moderator. It just looks like the dirty work to me. It's a lot more fun to be the resident azzh@le, LOL. tongue.png

OP, I have debated the topic several times with moderators and no hard feelings. I don't think they see their comments on the topic as special.

It's only if you have an issue with moderation itself that you need to PM. One time Scott gave me a vacation because he misunderstood who I was replying to or something like that. I PM'd him and explained, and he lifted the suspension.

I would NOT want to be a moderator. It just looks like the dirty work to me. It's a lot more fun to be the resident azzh@le, LOL. tongue.png

NeverSure, you certainly act different than your handle! Perhaps you should change your handle to AlwaysSure?

I hate deletions without acknowledging in the thread, and that's what has had happening in my case! We are not kids that you edit our posts which you think are "correct"!

When I was wrong, I admitted it, but not from deleting them anonymously without acknowledging it in the thread!!

It seems petty arguing to present a case to the support! Moderators are usually right anyway for I have seen most moderators are well qualified for what they do except the pc part, for some!

"I understand that one of the rules here at Thai Visa is that any comments about moderation or moderators are not tolerated in the forums..."

People criticize the Martial Law. Our Martial Law, or Marshall Law, in Thaivisa, has existed since its inception. LOL!

Then, a moderator, when questioned why gays can have their own forum and not the straights, answered that all other forums are for straight people. I certainly dared not to raise question there. I now wonder if being straight is at a disadvantage, being alloted less rights! I must be abnormal being a straight! I should hunt for a 21 year old gay partner as stated by a member in another thread! Ditto!

That's false information. It is NOT the policy of the gay forum to exclude non-gay posters. Maybe it SHOULD be, but that is not the policy. So please if you have further questions about your obvious misunderstanding, post on the gay forum. Obviously ANTI-GAY posts are not welcome on the gay forum any more than misogynistic posts (especially from men) would be welcome on a women's forum, etc.. Was that the problem? I suspect it was.

Edited by Jingthing

That's false information. It is NOT the policy of the gay forum to exclude non-gay posters. Maybe it SHOULD be, but that is not the policy. So please if you have further questions about your obvious misunderstanding, post on the gay forum. Obviously ANTI-GAY posts are not welcome on the gay forum any more than misogynistic posts (especially from men) would be welcome on a women's forum, etc.. Was that the problem? I suspect it was.

Have you comprehended correctly what was written by muchogra above?

He recanting his experiences, not the Policy of that Forum.

His experiences can not be false because they are his experiences.

Personally I think its wrong, like having the referee in a football game playing, shouldnt be allowed as tbey cannot be impartial to whatever is happening and will appear biased.

Seperate persona for on or off duty, I think.,

At times it can be confusing. Occasionally a Mod will make a posting that is enforcing forum rules while at the same time offering a personal opinion about a subject within that same posting.

Making comment on such a posting becomes a grey area.

I'm not one for Mods having different personas. I think transparency is a key to a forum maintaining its credibility.

I know this is an off the shelf forum template, but it would make sense for future versions to have a facility where a posting made by a Mod, in their capacity as a Mod is highlighted as such.

Any other postings made by the same Mod, not highlighted/flagged, would be considered of their personal viewpoint.

• Like 1

There are rules for the forum and there are specific rules for some of the sub forum. Everyone is expected to follow them. Calling Moderators or members idiots isn't permitted and statements such as 'we normal folks' in reference to a minority isn't exactly being very nice.

Scott, being called an idiot, I can understand that must hurt, no-one likes that.

How is a post viewed if one member call the other a liar?