British Embassy Emergency Travel Document

Hi

Hope im posting in right section.

My UK passport is in UK being renewed and my company want me to go to Hong Kong at the end of the month for a week.

The British Embassy has told me there is no problem issuing me an ETD (temp passport)

My 3 questions are:

Will Hong Kong accept me on an ETD (we have a company office there)?

Do I need to apply for a visa for HK on an ETD?

Do I have to get an exit stamp or inform Thai immigration of my movements?

many thanks for any info you have

As far as I know, HK will have no problem and you can stay upto 6 m8nths without a vVisa as a British National.

The problem is going to be immigration when departing Thailand, if you dont have your information about when you entered Thailand and on what basis that could be a problem when trying to leave.

Others with more knowledge will post soon I am sure.

Edited by CharlieH

As far as I know, HK will have no problem and you can stay upto 6 m8nths without a vVisa as a British National.

The problem is going to be immigration when departing Thailand, if you dont have your information about when you entered Thailand and on what basis that could be a problem when trying to leave.

If you haven't got a copy of your old Passport and visa and TM card you will end up in Immigration jail. Period. Then you will be deported back to the UK after you purchase a ticket. No exceptions or other destinations. Immigration will probably also make you pay 20K overstay. This is why the Thai Immigration always tell people to keep a copy of their passport and visa. Have a nice day now!

Edited by ATF

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

How come you sent your original passport, instead of copies, back to the UK with your renewal application in the first place?

The rules recently changed after the disappearance of the Malaysian Airliner. All passports have to be returned now.

So why not file a police report for a lost passport ?

Even if he files a Police report for a lost passport and gets an ETD if he doesn't have a copy of his old passport and visa he will have to go back to the UK.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

How come you sent your original passport, instead of copies, back to the UK with your renewal application in the first place?

The rules recently changed after the disappearance of the Malaysian Airliner. All passports have to be returned now.

Even if he files a Police report for a lost passport and gets an ETD if he doesn't have a copy of his old passport and visa he will have to go back to the UK.

Surely if he comes back in he will get 30 days Visa Not Required.

There is also the option of getting a visa in Hong Kong.

The problem is leaving Thailand. If he hasn't got his old passport or a copy of it and the visa, entry stamp and preferably TM card he will be deported back to the UK. No problem going to HK on an ETD but he will not be allowed to leave Thailand without deportation back to his home country.

Also don't turn up at the airport with copies of everything. Go to Immigration first with the copies and get your old visa stamped in the ETD.

Edited by ATF

The problem is leaving Thailand. If he hasn't got his old passport or a copy of it and the visa, entry stamp and preferably TM card he will be deported back to the UK. No problem going to HK on an ETD but he will not be allowed to leave Thailand without deportation back to his home country.

Also don't turn up at the airport with copies of everything. Go to Immigration first with the copies and get your old visa stamped in the ETD.

So everyone who loses their passport, or has it stolen, is deported to their home country ?

I don't think so..................

So everyone who loses their passport, or has it stolen, is deported to their home country ?

If someone loses their passport and doesn't have a copy of it and visa etc. They will be allowed to leave Thailand on an ETD after reporting to Immigration (not airport Immigration) first but only to their home country. If you just turn up at the airport with an ETD and nothing else you will be sent to Immigration Jail until the matter is sorted out. Believe me it has happened to several people I know.

If someone loses their passport and doesn't have a copy of it and visa etc. They will be allowed to leave Thailand on an ETD after reporting to Immigration (not airport Immigration) first but only to their home country. If you just turn up at the airport with an ETD and nothing else you will be sent to Immigration Jail until the matter is sorted out. Believe me it has happened to several people I know.

I don't actually believe it but, as always when I am wrong I am prepared to stand corrected - and apologise if necessary.

However, I find your claims about being deported to be ludicrous.

Someone who has suffered the loss/theft of their passport, and has been issued with a bona fide ETD by the British embassy, should not have to experience any difficulties with immigration. I can see the logic of visiting an immigration office before departure - but surely the British embassy will advise on this.

On the OP's case he is working Thailand and is likely to have copy records that should his passage with immigration.

http://www.undolifestyle.com/places/thailand/losing-a-passport-and-dealing-with-disaster-in-bangkok/

Edited by Jip99

I don't actually believe it but, as always when I am wrong I am prepared to stand corrected - and apologise if necessary.

Someone who has suffered the loss/theft of their passport, and has been issued with a bona fide ETD by the British embassy, should not have to experience any difficulties with immigration. I can see the logic of visiting an immigration office before departure - but surely the British embassy will advise on this.

On the OP's case he is working Thailand and is likely to have copy records that should his passage with immigration.

http://www.undolifestyle.com/places/thailand/losing-a-passport-and-dealing-with-disaster-in-bangkok/

With all due respect fully read your link carefully.

1. Replace your Thailand visa Once you have received your new passport, you will need to go to the Thai immigration bureau head office to obtain a replacement visa. For this, you will need the original police report, your new passport and I will also take any other ID or paperwork I have, just to be on the safe side. I was told it can be done in one afternoon.
  2. Although I need to stay in Thailand until my new passport arrives, after speaking to Air Asia on the telephone, they have confirmed that I can still travel domestically within Thailand, with a photocopy of my passport and the police report. So, I’ll be off down to Phuket and Krabi soon for some beach time.
  3. Keep a photocopy and/or a scan of your passport handy. Also consider your visa. I have a 1 year non-immigrant O type visa for Thailand. Having a photocopy or scan of this is handy if you have any problems with immigration while your passport if being processed (2-4 weeks for UK)

As far as Immigration at the Airport is concerned if you cannot show proof of when and where you entered the Country you will be arrested. If you can prove this and are on overstay it's not a problem just pay your 20K and go anywhere you like.

Usually Immigration will be able to match up your visa and entry copies with their computer records, but if they can't you will be deported. Now you know why every Thai Government Department wants everything in triplicate.

With all due respect fully read your link carefully.

1. Replace your Thailand visa Once you have received your new passport, you will need to go to the Thai immigration bureau head office to obtain a replacement visa. For this, you will need the original police report, your new passport and I will also take any other ID or paperwork I have, just to be on the safe side. I was told it can be done in one afternoon.
  2. Although I need to stay in Thailand until my new passport arrives, after speaking to Air Asia on the telephone, they have confirmed that I can still travel domestically within Thailand, with a photocopy of my passport and the police report. So, I’ll be off down to Phuket and Krabi soon for some beach time.
  3. Keep a photocopy and/or a scan of your passport handy. Also consider your visa. I have a 1 year non-immigrant O type visa for Thailand. Having a photocopy or scan of this is handy if you have any problems with immigration while your passport if being processed (2-4 weeks for UK)

As far as Immigration at the Airport is concerned if you cannot show proof of when and where you entered the Country you will be arrested. If you can prove this and are on overstay it's not a problem just pay your 20K and go anywhere you like.

Usually Immigration will be able to match up your visa and entry copies with their computer records, but if they can't you will be deported. Now you know why every Thai Government Department wants everything in triplicate.

No - I fully agree about trotting off to immigration (with copies of anything relevant to your permission to stay + copy of the police report) and I would imagine that the BE would be advising this. As said, the OP is likely to have copies of paperwork because he is working. No overstay, no fines, no prison.

No - I fully agree about trotting off to immigration (with copies of anything relevant to your permission to stay + copy of the police report) and I would imagine that the BE would be advising this. As said, the OP is likely to have copies of paperwork because he is working. No overstay, no fines, no prison.

Correct. Even if he doesn't have copies of anything but has a Police report/confirmation from his Embassy his new passport is being processed. Immigration will most probably be able to find his records in the system. If they find he is on overstay they will stamp his ETD with his entry stamp and visa details and give him 24 hrs to leave. They are nice people. However arriving at the airport with just a blank ETD. Go directly to jail, do not pass go, spend a few days in Immigration Jail until the problem is sorted out. If on overstay or they can't find your records pay 20K and get deported at your own expense back to your home country,

Good question from the OP.

Edited by ATF
  • Like 1

If you haven't got a copy of your old Passport and visa and TM card you will end up in Immigration jail. Period. Then you will be deported back to the UK after you purchase a ticket. No exceptions or other destinations. Immigration will probably also make you pay 20K overstay. This is why the Thai Immigration always tell people to keep a copy of their passport and visa. Have a nice day now!

You don't need a copy of your old passport. Immigration can get your entry/permit to stay info from their computer system. But having copies dose help.

Getting an ETD would be the same as getting a new passport after having the old on lost or stolen. You would have to go to an immigration office with a copy of the police report to have your stamps put in the ETD passport.

If on overstay you could pay the fine at that time and apply for a 7 day extension to give you time to leave the country.

• Like 2

You don't need a copy of your old passport. Immigration can get your entry/permit to stay info from their computer system. But having copies dose help.

Getting an ETD would be the same as getting a new passport after having the old on lost or stolen. You would have to go to an immigration office with a copy of the police report to have your stamps put in the ETD passport.

If on overstay you could pay the fine at that time and apply for a 7 day extension to give you time to leave the country.

Joe I didn't know Immigration would give a seven day extension, that's very generous. Thanks for the info. However several people I know of have tried to leave Thailand with just a blank ETD and every one of them has been arrested and taken to Soi Suan Plu Immigration Jail until the matter has been resolved one way or the other.

Joe I didn't know Immigration would give a seven day extension, that's very generous. Thanks for the info. However several people I know of have tried to leave Thailand with just a blank ETD and every one of them has been arrested and taken to Soi Suan Plu Immigration Jail until the matter has been resolved one way or the other.

Showing up at the airport with a blank ETD or passport would be foolish in my opinion. Especially if they did not have a police report or some other proof of a lost/stolen passport.

If a person goes to immigration with proof their passport was lost or stolen they will be understanding. The 7 days costs 1900 bahtand is really 7 days to leave the country.

No they don't - see the following statement on https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y/thailand/renewing_new/adult which was updated as recently as yesterday:-

"You must also bring your current passport with you when you apply, and a full colour photocopy of the entire passport (every page including blank pages). You can’t travel with it after you’ve applied for a new one - but you will be able to keep your existing passport for ID purposes."

No they don't.

I just got an extension based on retirement in my old passport which was supposed to have been cancelled by HMPO.

No they don't - see the following statement on https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y/thailand/renewing_new/adult which was updated as recently as yesterday:-

"You must also bring your current passport with you when you apply, and a full colour photocopy of the entire passport (every page including blank pages). You can’t travel with it after you’ve applied for a new one - but you will be able to keep your existing passport for ID purposes."

Under the previous system when UK citizens had to send their passports to HK they were allowed to keep their old passport and not send it. The OP said the BE has kept his old passport so why don't you take it up with him? They keep changing these rules on a constant basis. However it's a good idea to keep copies of your passport and visa info. Even as Joe and myself said you probably won't need it. But it does save a lot of time when Immigration searches your records. And as you said yourself this information was updated yesterday.

No they don't.

I just got an extension based on retirement in my old passport which was supposed to have been cancelled by HMPO.

Great minds think alike!smile.png

But out of curiosity did you succeed in obtaining a full year's retirement extension in your old passport? In other words, would this have still been valid and fully useable for another year at least had not all pages already been full with visas and stamps?

Under the previous system when UK citizens had to send their passports to HK they were allowed to keep their old passport and not send it.

They still keep their passports under the current system.

Edited by rajyindee
  • Like 1

No they don't.

Great minds think alike!smile.png

But out of curiosity did you succeed in obtaining a full year's retirement extension in your old passport? In other words, would this have still been valid and fully useable for another year at least had not all pages already been full with visas and stamps?

Yes - I had 7 years remaining on the old passport and 2.5 pages of a 48 page passport. My concern was my renewal passport would not be back before my previous permission to stay expires on 18th June.

Under the previous system when UK citizens had to send their passports to HK they were allowed to keep their old passport and not send it. The OP said the BE has kept his old passport so why don't you take it up with him? They keep changing these rules on a constant basis. However it's a good idea to keep copies of your passport and visa info. Even as Joe and myself said you probably won't need it. But it does save a lot of time when Immigration searches your records. And as you said yourself this information was updated yesterday.

I am still awaiting the OP's response to the question which I posed to him in post #4!

Presumably your BE ref relates to the British Embassy who, as has been well documented elsewhere on Thaivisa, no longer play any role in the passport renewal process? If it was UKVAC staff in With-It Tower who insisted that his original passport needed to be returned to the UK with his renewal application, they are clearly not doing their job properly!

Under the previous system when UK citizens had to send their passports to HK they were allowed to keep their old passport and not send it.

They still keep their passports under the current system.

Well if the OP still has his old passport even if it is cancelled and a letter from the BE saying his passport is being renewed and an ETD he is free to travel to HK.

I am still awaiting the OP's response to the question which I posed to him in post #4!

Presumably your BE ref relates to the British Embassy who, as has been well documented elsewhere on Thaivisa, no longer play any role in the passport renewal process? If it was UKVAC staff in With-It Tower who insisted that his original passport needed to be returned to the UK with his renewal application, they are clearly not doing their job properly!

Someone not doing their job properly wouldn't be a first for any government department. The change that I was referring to came about after the Malaysian Airliner. Before passports didn't have to be physically cancelled like before. When you renewed your old passport a series of holes were punched in it making it unusable for travel but your visas still remained valid. Now it seems they have gone back to this sensible system.

If it was UKVAC staff in With-It Tower who insisted that his original passport needed to be returned to the UK with his renewal application, they are clearly not doing their job properly!

Someone not doing their job properly wouldn't be a first for any government department.

The UKVAC isn't a government department.

If it was UKVAC staff in With-It Tower who insisted that his original passport needed to be returned to the UK with his renewal application, they are clearly not doing their job properly!

Someone not doing their job properly wouldn't be a first for any government department.

The UKVAC isn't a government department.

Ok am I mentally retarded or you? If I was i wouldn't be able to tell and if you were you wouldn't be able to tell. And if we both were we wouldn't be able to tell. Aaaarrrrrggghhh. Get me outtaa here!!!!!!

Ok am I mentally retarded or you? If I was i wouldn't be able to tell and if you were you wouldn't be able to tell. And if we both were we wouldn't be able to tell. Aaaarrrrrggghhh. Get me outtaa here!!!!!!

Save the personal stuff for someone else. wai2.gif