So, how to proceed, is there any point ?

You write to a foriegn embassy in Bangkok, you ask 3 basic direct questions. The reply comes within 48hrs, has absolutely nothing to do with what you asked and is basically useless.

You repeat the email, asking PLEASE could you answer what has been specifically asked, reply comes back, irrelevant and nothing answered. You write again, asking that if they cannot understand the questions, perhaps they could direct you to another person or department who can. Reply comes back, "we'll get back to you".

Patience wearing thin now, frustration building, write to Home country government dept and complain of incompetance and no assistance at there Embassy. Reply with appology and they have referred the matter to the Ambassaodor. Reply received from Ambassador of the Nation concerned, "Dear Sir, I'll look into it, Ambassador" thats it in its dntirety!

Talk about economical with words, so my Thai Visa comrades, where do we go next when even the Ambassador writes such an awful response, and clearly couldnt care less either. State Department ? Press? Social Media?

OR........Just let it go you are wasting your time!

Any bright ideas ? This has become one of those challenges now where I just cant let it go, dog with a bone syndrome.

Edited by CharlieH

I would find someone that can email the embassy in the language of that country asking the same questions as English may not be very well understood there ? Or get the person who speaks that language to call them and ask.

Or thats what I would do thumbsup.gif

CharlieH ... I understand when you mean.

I emailed the Australian Embassy in Bangkok, asking a specific question.

The reply I received was as if it was generated by a robot.

It was remotely relating to my simple question, but showed no comprehension of the initial enquiry.

In the end, I was none the wiser.

Elephants_zpsb52ebc80.png

It seems most embassies prefer to hire natives (they work cheaper) instead of citizens of the country they represent, except for the highest positions. Odd than when you go to your embassy its hard to find someone who speaks your language. Even U.S. embassy will only hire Americans if they read/write Thai fluently, but there Thai staff can be hired with crap English.

It was remotely relating to my simple question, but showed no comprehension of the initial enquiry.

It must be difficult for embassy staff in a place like this, steady stream of beer bellied no hopers wearing singlet tops, shorts and thongs strutt in demanding this and that. Trailing behind them at a half or quarter their age is some reluctant native who's only role seems to make giggling sounds and communicates with words like, 'You bad man' & 'You sexy man'.

I've always had good results from Australian Embassy staff and I can imagine they must get bombarded with some seriously stupid emails. Might just be one of the reasons email can be this way. Have you tried picking up the telephone?

Edited by neverdie
  • Like 2

Well I was aiding a friend communicating with the British embassy in Bangkok after his wife lost her passport and needed an emergency visa to get back to the UK. Eventually I gave up in frustration with the arrogant, condescending, seemingly uninterested operatives (glorified checkout clerks if you ask me) that work there. He ended up contacting the British equivalent of the US State Dept in London (sorry, dunno I forget what its called). That seemed to generate a fairly rapid response from the embassy staff here

Same with the German embassy. I would post your questions here, you are more likely to get a useful answer. Most of the time anyway.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Hate to say it ....and sorry this reply is probably of no use....

But...your dealing with a government agency, and most if not all government agency are incompetent!whistling.gif

Generally I have found that correspondence, either by email or letter is something that is put away to deal with as a last resort (which means...they never get to it)

As for a solution....well the only thing I can think of is to call and talk to someone directly (hopefully you can get a supervisor) although they usually put you on hold and pass you around until you get so fed up you just hang up.blink.png

Only other option is to go to the embassy in question in person (I know ...major hassle) and make a nuisance of yourself until someone does give you an answer!

As said ....sorry that this response is probably of no help.....

But wish you luck with the problem.wai.gif

classic case of ' computer say's no' syndrome.

If dealing with your own embassy, then a complaint to the relevant government department and/or your elected representative; in the UK this would be the Foreign Office (unless it's a visa matter, in which case UKVI and/or the Home Office) and MP.

If an EU national and it's an EU embassy other than your own and the issue is to do with your EU rights, then a complaint to SOLVIT.

Otherwise, no idea.

To close this thread, and to show that persistence pays, I wrote again to the Ambassador, asking if the information was now available or did I need to escalate the matter further. I received a polite precise reply to ALL my questions and an apology.

For the benefit of those that are UK Citizens and are contemplating taking your Thai Spouse to a Shengen area country here is what is definitively required or not required may be more accurate.

1. A flight booking is not requested. The same applies to accommodation.

2. A travel insurance is not requested (only recommended)

3. An invitation letter is not requested (only recommended)

• Like 1

To close this thread, and to show that persistence pays, I wrote again to the Ambassador, asking if the information was now available or did I need to escalate the matter further. I received a polite precise reply to ALL my questions and an apology.

For the benefit of those that are UK Citizens and are contemplating taking your Thai Spouse to a Shengen area country here is what is definitively required or not required may be more accurate.

1. A flight booking is not requested. The same applies to accommodation.

2. A travel insurance is not requested (only recommended)

3. An invitation letter is not requested (only recommended)

Charlie,

Did you notice how many Australians felt the need to get involved ?

Is that insecurity.... or roots ?

What do you think ?