anyone ignoring the curfew in your area ?

speedtripler

Phuket.

1am. Just arrived home after visiting friends, passed numerous 'noodle' type eateries still serving food, some with 9 or 10 customers (gatherings of more than 5) whilst 'bone fide' restaurants had to close at 10 or 11pm. Also, local drinking establishment with 15 Thais happily drinking and chatting. Is this curfew in place or not? I'm not critising the army/coup but what's good for the goose etc. Phuket, where I live, is totally dependent on the tourist/expat dollar, can the powers that be not see this?

• Like 1

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phuket.

1am. Just arrived home after visiting friends, passed numerous 'noodle' type eateries still serving food, some with 9 or 10 customers (gatherings of more than 5) whilst 'bone fide' restaurants had to close at 10 or 11pm. Also, local drinking establishment with 15 Thais happily drinking and chatting. Is this curfew in place or not? I'm not critising the army/coup but what's good for the goose etc. Phuket, where I live, is totally dependent on the tourist/expat dollar, can the powers that be not see this?

about 50/50 in my area in bkk

a lot of places did close althought most still served until 22.00 so probably open until 23.00

theres a few bars and karaoke still open now and most of them are almost full of people drinking as if there

is no curfew

i dont know how these owners can stay open serving food and drinks when the 7-11s are closed ?? selective curfew in my area

it wont affect my drinking if everyone else is still drinking too :)

By 1130 Bangla Rd was shut and nearly empty. Light traffic on beach and song roy phi roads. A few tourists wandering about. At about midnight a pick-up truck arrived with several soldiers armed with M-16's. They milled about by the police box for about 20 minutes taking pictures of each other, then piled back into the truck and left. By 1am Kata, Karon, Chalong, Rawai completely shut down, but still some very light traffic on the roads.

IMG_6072.jpg

By 1130 Bangla Rd was shut and nearly empty. Light traffic on beach and song roy phi roads. A few tourists wandering about. At about midnight a pick-up truck arrived with several soldiers armed with M-16's. They milled about by the police box for about 20 minutes taking pictures of each other, then piled back into the truck and left. By 1am Kata, Karon, Chalong, Rawai completely shut down, but still some very light traffic on the roads.

IMG_6072.jpg

why are they wearig jungle camoflage in the city ? is there no money to buy urban gear ? laugh.png

• Like 1

Was Sukhumvit Soi 11 open last night? Climax and the little van bars?

Nope.

But there was still people about so I would not be surprised if bars started to reopen soon.

I think we should be able to go to that bar in Nana Plaza where the girls are dressed as Air Hostesses on the basis that we're international travelers.

There were girls walking around with signs say OPEN TILL LATE in Soi 4 last night.....that late apparently was 5am.

I went home early because we had been drinking since 1om but my friends stayed.......I never saw any policemen except for the guy who guards the gold shop at Soi 10.

As far as the army goes I have yet to see a soldiers anywhere between Nana and Tong Lor.

Love to hear from anyone who has

Does anyone have any idea or guess when the curfew will end? This is my third coup, the first one in 1991, I was on Koh Samui, and no one noticed any change, there sure wasn't a curfew on Samui. The second one I arrived in Bangkok the night of September 19 2006 and was too tired to go out. But I went out the next night and there sure wasn't a curfew, why the big deal this time?

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Does anyone have any idea or guess when the curfew will end? This is my third coup, the first one in 1991, I was on Koh Samui, and no one noticed any change, there sure wasn't a curfew on Samui. The second one I arrived in Bangkok the night of September 19 2006 and was too tired to go out. But I went out the next night and there sure wasn't a curfew, why the big deal this time?

I am hearing through tonight from some of the brass.

Just wondering if anyone knows of individuals actually being detained or arrested for being out after 10pm? I have not heard of any myself...

Why not try it, be the first one, up to 2 years imprisonment i believe. Jesus wept, can't you lot stay in for a few nights

One van bar remained the first night of curfew (thursday) until the wee wee hours and a few places on nana were still open around 2-3 am.

The van bar on 11 was informed that they would not be allowed to stay open on friday, but i did not venture out again to check.

climax dis close for curfew thursday night.

Im thinking 11 was totally dead last night and talking to friends who went out, that has been confirmed.

if this is your third coup, you should know speculation on these issues id pointless 2 days into the curfew.

As with all things the curfew will slowly lose meaning and be less diligently policed until such a time as it is repealed, just like the last bkk curfew.

What a hero, talking about this on a forum. Some stickler will end up reporting to this to the military and those MCOT people will block this website.

I'm confused...I was presenting this as evidence of the curfew more or less being followed. Did you take it some other way?

Just wondering if anyone knows of individuals actually being detained or arrested for being out after 10pm? I have not heard of any myself...

Why not try it, be the first one, up to 2 years imprisonment i believe. Jesus wept, can't you lot stay in for a few nights

How many is "a few"??

Nope.

But there was still people about so I would not be surprised if bars started to reopen soon.

I think we should be able to go to that bar in Nana Plaza where the girls are dressed as Air Hostesses on the basis that we're international travelers.

There were girls walking around with signs say OPEN TILL LATE in Soi 4 last night.....that late apparently was 5am.

I went home early because we had been drinking since 1om but my friends stayed.......I never saw any policemen except for the guy who guards the gold shop at Soi 10.

As far as the army goes I have yet to see a soldiers anywhere between Nana and Tong Lor.

I've not heard of any arrests yet either but I stay in my own area after midnight sipping beer with the locals just in case, I don't want to be the first farang arrested lol

I think if you stay off the main roads and intersections you will be ok

They can't arrest everyine who's drinking outside their homes and many of the bars in my area are actually someone's house with a few tables and chairs so if asked to go inside we could for a few minutes lol

The curfew said don't go out between 10 - 5 am but it didn't say you can't be at someone else's property and if you take away the money, it's not a bar, it's a private party, is it not?

So far, I repeat, so far - everything is as usual. Must sound like a stamp of approval for the Army.

Yesterday, Fri 23, I finished with my doctors at Bumrungrad at about 8 PM. Took a bus out of BKK and arrived at about 11 PM at my Provincial town.

Got into my car and drove home for about 30 min.

Nothing happened ( except I got a ticket for leaving my car in a no parking zone). Must go and see my local friendly BIBs.

Still in a bar near petchburi Rd, no sign of it closing anytime soon

Staff still accepting orders on food and drink, maybe they know something we don't?

Maybe they live here so they're technically already at home but customers at every table regardless

Anyone spotted places open around victory monument? I'm hungry as hell.

I've heard talk on facebook of bars doing all night lock-ins, get there at 10 and you cant leave until 5am. Sounds like fun.

in phuket last night went out to buy something to eat in phuket town area and a lot of lads from the army were on the back of a pickup truck just driving around with guns on their laps they shouted to me and some others on bike to go home.

tonight in phuket town hypnosis night club is currently open (near bus station) it is full so dunno how long till police notice i thibk people are starting not to follow the rules here now

in phuket last night went out to buy something to eat in phuket town area and a lot of lads from the army were on the back of a pickup truck just driving around with guns on their laps they shouted to me and some others on bike to go home.

tonight in phuket town hypnosis night club is currently open (near bus station) it is full so dunno how long till police notice i thibk people are starting not to follow the rules here now

A warning shouted to go home would be fine with me, id pay the bill and go

Arrested with 2 Yrs jail and 40k fine is another story entirely but since that hasn't been enforced yet i feel ok having a beer with the locals beside my home

Of course, if they start to enforce it I'll be at home drinking on the roof with a few friends but right now nobody seems worried amongst my Thai friends so que sera sera

Last night we had a lock in at my bar (Jomtien). Closed the door and put up a big sign saying "Bar Closed - Private Party till 5am" Turned off all the lights and carried on serving to a bar full of people. About 11:30pm the Army turned up and demanded that every one go home. I complained we were all indoors and the doors were locked. He did not care, instead he said he was going to arrest every one because there was more than 5 people there! I was going to tell him he was stupid but my staff immediately deserted me. They all went straight home, including the cashier! Customers followed very quickly afterwards. Except for me and two friends who sat and drank alone till about 1:30am.

Rumour: My wife tells me that last night the Army smashed down the door to get into a bar in Soi Boukaew (Pattaya). Cannot confirm it myself but the way they hit my bar I can believe it.

Tonight many bars and Gogo's in Pattaya are advertising lock in parties. Will be interested to see what happens to them.

Chris

• Like 1

Nope.

I've not heard of any arrests yet either but I stay in my own area after midnight sipping beer with the locals just in case, I don't want to be the first farang arrested lol

I think if you stay off the main roads and intersections you will be ok

They can't arrest everyine who's drinking outside their homes and many of the bars in my area are actually someone's house with a few tables and chairs so if asked to go inside we could for a few minutes lol

The curfew said don't go out between 10 - 5 am but it didn't say you can't be at someone else's property and if you take away the money, it's not a bar, it's a private party, is it not?

perhaps you would like to argue the finer points of the law with an 18 year old non English speaking soldier wielding an M16

• Like 2