anyone ignoring the curfew in your area ?

speedtripler

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, don't need to get too melodramatic. And - if you missed it, it was announced that shift workers and tourists are exempt - and if like me you live 800km away from BKK then not even a ripple was felt.

So don't drop your purses just yet ladies

According to the order as posted on #21 in this thread, tourists are NOT exempt, so this is dangerous advice.

Perhaps if a mod agrees, Rykbanlor's post should be removed.

Our village is very peaceful. On a normal day the sidewalks are hinged up before 10 pm. So we have a curfew without any military order.

Now I was thinking it's a normal day here under the curfew. Although we cannot complain of our police in general, today I heard they are going through the shops:

pssst, please not more than 5 people ....

As if the Thai revolution would start from here in a remote village of the Mae Hong Son Province.

In south central Pattaya things closed down, but it wasn't as total as the last time we had a curfew.

A number of cars, song taeows and motorbikes were moving about with their headlights off (because you won't know they're there if their headlights are off facepalm.gif ).

Last time we had a curfew someone went about with a loudspeaker on the back of a truck announcing that everyone needed to close down and go home. Didn't hear that this time, but I did hear the occasional hand claps of motorcy taxi drivers trying to get the attention of would-be customers well into the wee hours.

The schools are not open Friday morning, but the Friday market, Friendship Supermarket and such seem to be up and running pretty much as usual and with pretty typical road traffic. Didn't see any police ticketing cars parked on the wrong side of Pattaya Tai, but then apparently the Navy from Sattahip took over their police station last night so maybe they're "redundant" today.

Edited by Suradit69

I'm going out tomorrow night no matter what.

Of course you will..... going out at 6pm and returning home at 10pm. Have a good un.

There's a brave lad winnie and when you are locked up you will be screaming for your embassy to help you.

somebody just whispered this curfew is now going to go on for 1-2 years, true?

You can only hope,but i doubt it

If that were true, all this fuss about visa and visa exempt stamp abuse will be moot. There will be no more foreigners here, tourist or expat. And you thought the crash of 97 was bad....

10 minutes from downtown Chiang Mai and traffic was normal at 11PM - 2 AM ( I need sleep also )

Lots of Tuk Tuks out on the highway and bypass, not sure why they were out, but there were many late at night.

Things in San Sai all normal other than the shops were closed.

tourists are exempt -

oh...Did you just make that up?

People (Tourists or Thai's) on the way to and from the airports are exempt as long as they have travel documents. One would assume that would apply to the taxi driver driving them too, if they are in a taxi.

In Koh Chang, every thai people I know say something like that : "don't worry, there is no curfew on Koh Chang, everywhere else maybe, but not here :)", "never mind the curfew, it's not for koh chang", "you can do same same before don't worry".

I don't realy know why. I know police is not very active and present in Koh Chang, but I know also there is a military base.

So far I don't know more, because I didn't ignore the curfew. I was home at 10PM, and didn't try to go out after that.

tourists are exempt -

People (Tourists or Thai's) on the way to and from the airports are exempt as long as they have travel documents. One would assume that would apply to the taxi driver driving them too, if they are in a taxi.

Exactly. But does not mean tourists are exempt altogether. Only when going to and from the airport.

Yeah, don't need to get too melodramatic. And - if you missed it, it was announced that shift workers and tourists are exempt - and if like me you live 800km away from BKK then not even a ripple was felt.

< it was announced that shift workers and tourists are exempt >

Not in Lamphun. My wife got sent home from work before curfew started.

Tourism- so tourists are exempt, but as Thais are not, there won't be any workers to run the bars, restaurants etc, so unless tourists like wandering deserted streets, not much point in that.

Ok. I only knew tourists going to and from the airport were exempt... perhaps I need to read more.

Now, If they see you guys with no Tourist visa stamp in your passport...you are not exempt.

Seriously...Stop pretending you are tourists, because last week the Official Long Stay with Retirement/Marriage visas were looking down on us with tourists visas.

Look who is laughing now. lol

Edited by slipperylobster

I'm in Singapore at moment [Thai girls at 4 floors not obeying the curfew]. But have a flight booked for tonight arriving BKK 10:30pm. Good to know the curfew isn't affecting those travelling in. Just checked with the airline - flight still on (so far). Should be a nice quick trip into town providing the airport has taxis at the time. Bit short on genuine information in that respect - but nothing new there! I'll be well pissed off if I have to stay in the airport until 5am. Maybe I'll upgrade to business class just in case. Anybody got any good advice? That was maybe a silly question!!!

Advice? Book an onward flight with Bangkok Airways, the cheapest possible economy. That way you get to use their lounge at BKK. It's got to be cheaper than upgrading to business. Mind you I'd rather fly business anyway.

• Like 1

Yes until 2017 at least

Who told you that ? I doubt that very much, the tourist industry would be wiped out,that would be 10% off of the economy,Singha would be on short time and the girls would all be 'born again virgins'

Yes until 2017 at least

Who told you that ? I doubt that very much, the tourist industry would be wiped out,that would be 10% off of the economy,Singha would be on short time and the girls would all be 'born again virgins'

How very true. Mind you when I ask any girl here if they're a Virgin, they invariably say 'Not yet'

• Like 1

tourists are exempt -

Exactly. But does not mean tourists are exempt altogether. Only when going to and from the airport.

Yes, thank you. That is what I said. facepalm.gif

Yes, the curfew is permanent. And there will be no more alcohol sales or consumption between the hours of 05:00 and 22:00. Tourists will only be affected if they drink, or come seeking the nightlife here.

And there will be no more alcohol sales or consumption between the hours of 05:00 and 22:00., food may be served only.

Otherwise business is as usual.

Think you got your times mixed up there, mate!

" And there will be no more alcohol sales or consumption between the hours of 05:00 and 22:00." ?

• Like 1

According to the order as posted on #21 in this thread, tourists are NOT exempt, so this is dangerous advice.

Perhaps if a mod agrees, Rykbanlor's post should be removed.

Well, to be fair, I didn't actually give any advice aside from warning not to drop handbags. * I apologise for my hasty reading of the post there, I mistook tourists with documents travelling from airports being exempt, to just all tourists. But where I am in Krabi, and I'm sure alot of other folks throughout the country can maintain - we are still going on as normal. So my saying not to get too melodramatic seems fair, I didn't incite anyone to dance naked through the streets of Bangkok screaming blue murder.

Edited by Rykbanlor

Was Sukhumvit Soi 11 open last night? Climax and the little van bars?

Nope.

But there was still people about so I would not be surprised if bars started to reopen soon.

I think we should be able to go to that bar in Nana Plaza where the girls are dressed as Air Hostesses on the basis that we're international travelers.

• Like 1

Was Sukhumvit Soi 11 open last night? Climax and the little van bars?

Nope.

But there was still people about so I would not be surprised if bars started to reopen soon.

I think we should be able to go to that bar in Nana Plaza where the girls are dressed as Air Hostesses on the basis that we're international travelers.

Every one of them a virgin

• Like 1