Coup makers shut down schools from 23-25 May

webfact

Coup makers shut down schools from 23-25 May

BANGKOK, 23 May 2014 (NNT) – The National Peace and Order Maintaining Council orders all academic institutions to close from 23 – 25 May 2014.

Deputy Spokesman of the Royal Thai Army Col.Winthai Suwaree on Thursday night announced exceptions to the current curfew from 10 PM – 5 AM for the following groups of people: travelers arriving or departing from the country, shift officers or workers, people delivering products from cold storage and short-life cycle products, people who have the need to travel such as patients going to the hospital and humanitarian workers. Other people who need to travel for an emergency can ask for permission from army officers.

The army deputy spokesman later announced that the National Peace and Order Maintaining Council, the coup makers, also ordered all academic institutions, both public and private, to close this Friday until Sunday.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-05-23 footer_n.gif

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does that mean school for the little kids too? Mine are just having their breakfast and I would like to know if they are going to school today, or we have to make new plans. What about working parent's do they need to stay home today with their kids?

• Like 2

I didn't get any notice from my kids schools?

That's probably because the military only made the decision out of the blue at 8 p.m last night. Will probably mean that a lot of parents will have to call in sick also to look after their children.

All academic institutions closed?? Does that mean all schools are open?!bah.gif

My daughter's school holidays were from 5 Mar to 19th May! Just what she needs, more time off! No wonder all the kids here are lobotomized numbskulls!

That's a nice thing to say.....

Did you not have a summer holiday when you went to school?

same as with the curfew, they obviously want to keep the decks clear for a few days.

I didn't get any notice from my kids schools?

One of my neighbours is a teacher and the staff at her school have been told to go in today to handle expected confusion as students and parents will turn up.

I can't be certain but it seems the school are relying on families getting the message from the likes of the information crawler shown on blocked tv screens and obviously many will not.

My daughter's school holidays were from 5 Mar to 19th May! Just what she needs, more time off! No wonder all the kids here are lobotomized numbskulls!

same as with the curfew, they obviously want to keep the decks clear for a few days.

" . . . keep the decks clear for a few days."??? How does keeping children from being educated and socializing with other children in a school environment help maintain 'peace and order'? Pursuing a decent education in this country is challenge enough with all of the scheduled days off, not to mention the 'quality' of education. Now we have to keep our children from attending classes in the name of 'peace' and order'? Unbelievable.

Edited by venturalaw
  • Like 2

What exactly is the reason for shutting the schools? Have they created a new public holiday "National Coup Day"

Same thing happened in 2006. After coup was announced the schools were closed for a day or 2, I can't remember exactly. After that everything went back to normal. I think schools will be opened on Monday again if the situation will be under control.

Same here in Phuket, just hot a call from one of the other parents. What she actually said was, being completely wrong, is that there is now a curfew in the daytime too! My wife is in Tesco now trying to buy most of the shop!

One has to watch ones mouth in these trying times, I can only wonder what the reasoning is for this. Perhaps purely to keep the roads clear and check drivers. I think anyone out and about today can expect to see road blocks so makes sure you have your passports and work permits with you.

SDM

• Like 2

" . . . keep the decks clear for a few days."??? How does keeping children from being educated and socializing with other children in a school environment help maintain 'peace and order'? Pursuing a decent education in this country is challenge enough with all of the scheduled days off, not to mention the 'quality' of education. Now we have to keep our children from attending classes in the name of 'peace' and order'? Unbelievable.

Don't be silly now,

Have you not noticed that many kiuds have to leave home before dawn and return late in the evening?

It's more about keeping people off the streets as far as possible for a shortwhile I suspect.....

• Like 1

Where do you think the politicians/military come from?

• Like 1

They did the same after the last coup so its better to be safe than sorry and keep your children at home today. My daughters school texted late last night to say they were closed.

• Like 2

They would have had Saturday and Sunday of anyways, so really, the schools are only closed for one day. Stupid headline rolleyes.gif

Then you obviously have no children at school in Thailand.

All educational establishments are ordered to be closed. This would include schools, universities, vocational colleges etc..

They are to be closed for all activities - not simply regular lessons. On weekends all sorts of activities academic and otherwise take place in the grounds of educational establishments.

They would have had Saturday and Sunday of anyways, so really, the schools are only closed for one day. Stupid headline rolleyes.gif

I suppose a huge amount of language schools, universities and normal school open at the weekend for extra tuition.

Don't be silly now,

Have you not noticed that many kiuds have to leave home before dawn and return late in the evening?

It's more about keeping people off the streets as far as possible for a shortwhile I suspect.....

Silly? It strains credulity for children to be navigating "the streets" before 5AM or after 10PM in pursuit of a Thai education. And even if that might be the case in smaller villages, how is that an obstacle or threat to 'peace and order'? You have quite an imagination.

Edited by venturalaw
  • Like 1