Nikon D800S

I am led to believe that Nikon could possibly announce a New Camera some time in June......just a matter of days away.

The NR site seemed to make some hints at various improvements such as;

Expeed 4

sRAW

Higher frame rates of 5FPS and 6FPS with battery grip.

Improved auto focus, similar to D4S

No low pass - AA filter (Same as D800E)

Better low light capabilities

So, I know a little while back MJP was thinking about rolling down the Nikon road, has anyone else considered this camera?

Also, I've looked for Camera shows in June and couldn't find any substantial ones, so perhaps this won't be announced in June.....Perhaps Nikon might 'bleed' some information out to the people, same as they did with D4S.

So what do you think MJP, interesting or not?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ ND...I also read the NR page on this but didn't dig as much as you have.

If it can make my morning coffee the way I like it....simply black & strong...

I may be interested. Other than that....nah.

Matter of factly...as age creeps up...I'm seriously considering flogging

my 800's and investing more in something like the rumored Fuji XPro-2

in the near future. I'm getting tired of lugging the heavyweights around

when smaller & lighter jobbers do the same thing just as well and do

it with stealth. Mind you I am gonna keep a couple Nik lenses and use

adaptors with me Leica's & current XPro-1 so in some instances

stealth goes out the window...and I reckon those instances will be

rather rare.

PM me if interested in low SC 800's with "additionals" to be included.

Edited by sunshine51
  • Like 1

rather rare.

Oooooohhhhhhh. IMO, you've crossed a little line there. Lighter jobbers doing the same thing. Mee thinks not. Perhaps you meant they do an adequate job, but I'd like to beg to differ about it being, "exactly the same"

As for the rest. I'm having a hard time convincing u know who about the D800, as she used the camera for a week and handed it back, preferring the D3S. Now, I guessing she just spoilt with the FPS, as she likes the birds and wild-life and find the performance pleasing. I was going to get her to consider a slightly faster 800, as she still likes to shoot with the old D300s.

Of course I don't want to get into one of those speed to and fro things as I'm alraedy sure she'd do fine with the 800.

Lenses?

We pretty much got everything. Do you have a Super telephoto.....500 or 600mm ?

We already got, 14-24, 24-70, 70-200VRII, and so,e primes, 105, 50mm and 35mm. Got a tele converter 1.3x

also a dx wide, whatever it is, mainly gathering dust but occasional works it's way onto the 300.

I will ask around for u though. Many friends, so will ask around.

I really understand the weight thing and I also like some of,the newer cameras like the Fuji are FAB. For a user like me, the Fuji is too good lol.

I may sit off the small cameras for another year or so and see what crops up, as a glove box, handbag, easy Cary option for when one goes out and doesn't want to deal with all the lugging b.s.

What lenses are you wanting to flog?

Would be nice if now n then if we posted what camera was used. My good one dissapeared with No1 Son, so all ive got is a Kodak Easyshre. Can it live with the Mighty Cannons here .?..facepalm.gif

Mighty Canons ?

Kodak Easydhre ?

rather rare.

Oooooohhhhhhh. IMO, you've crossed a little line there. Lighter jobbers doing the same thing. Mee thinks not. Perhaps you meant they do an adequate job, but I'd like to beg to differ about it being, "exactly the same"

As for the rest. I'm having a hard time convincing u know who about the D800, as she used the camera for a week and handed it back, preferring the D3S. Now, I guessing she just spoilt with the FPS, as she likes the birds and wild-life and find the performance pleasing. I was going to get her to consider a slightly faster 800, as she still likes to shoot with the old D300s.

Of course I don't want to get into one of those speed to and fro things as I'm alraedy sure she'd do fine with the 800.

Lenses?

We pretty much got everything. Do you have a Super telephoto.....500 or 600mm ?

We already got, 14-24, 24-70, 70-200VRII, and so,e primes, 105, 50mm and 35mm. Got a tele converter 1.3x

also a dx wide, whatever it is, mainly gathering dust but occasional works it's way onto the 300.

I will ask around for u though. Many friends, so will ask around.

I really understand the weight thing and I also like some of,the newer cameras like the Fuji are FAB. For a user like me, the Fuji is too good lol.

I may sit off the small cameras for another year or so and see what crops up, as a glove box, handbag, easy Cary option for when one goes out and doesn't want to deal with all the lugging b.s.

What lenses are you wanting to flog?

PM speeding it's way to you now!

Well, the Mega Bucs ones don't really show their worth here unless someone tells us, spelling or not.As I said it would be nice to see what one gets for the extra bucks.

One can get many things for the extra bucks AoP...The top end MF camera of today is

Phase One...or just Phase....they run around 50K USD...for starters.

Then there's the Leica KE-7 & 7A that came with a 50mm F2 ELCAN lens and

other stuff in a box available only to the US military. The KE-7 was a Leica M4

on steroids but still kept the classic lines of the civilian M4.

ELCAN is still around today making optical sights & other neat stuff for militaries.

ELCAN stands for Ernst Leitz Canada...just fyi.

At one time in my life I had the pleasure to sign out (keep but return) a KE-7A kit

as shown in the attached photos. For what they go for today...starting at 20K USD

for one in good condition to over 40K USD for the complete military kit still in

box (very rare)...I often wish that I had simply told the quartermaster (guy in supply)

that it had suffered battle damage and was destroyed in the field...and sent the

thing home in a package or just stashed it away to leave with me. Oh well...

only around 500 of these special Leica's were ever made....hence today's

price.

post-146250-0-05802700-1400944414_thumb.

post-146250-0-49173600-1400944435_thumb.

Wow MJP! That's neat!

However...instead of say...2 bodies & 3 lenses of Leica or XP-1size,

I can't see carrying around 3 cameras to do the job. That's just me

old son however...I reckon Sig is on to something exciting here.

Mind you...I could carry 2 and zoom/crop in post....

Nice links.

Well, the Mega Bucs ones don't really show their worth here unless someone tells us, spelling or not.As I said it would be nice to see what one gets for the extra bucks.

Hello AoP,

I've already read what Sunshine wrote to you so I will avoid covering the same bit of road.

I am somewhat in agreeance with you, to a point. For someone like me, I would probably never be likely to be able to extract 100% from a Camera like Sunshine said (ie; Fuji pro) which is kinda like a prosumer camera, only better. (taking cover from sunny). In actual fact, I'm useless at it so a point and shoot would do me. Many ppl are like this.

As for my wife and her collegues and friends they are chasing something different from their photography. The w, will spend hours messing around to get one shot, she can achieve everything she wants IN CAMERA and seldomly uses photoshop. Her main function for a program like Photoshop is putting watermarks on, bit of cropping, sometimes a bit of sharpening. She hates heavily adjusted photography and they can spot doctored work a mile off. She requires a camera that takes the fastest of lenses and has a deadly accurate focusing system, 3d tracking and the like for wildlife etc. That's why she likes D4S level cameras, as they are fast and deadly accurate. ALSO the buttons are programmable and with a high end lense such as the 70-200 VRII etc, no small camera can compete. Also the larger body aids with manhandling the big lenses.

Finally, you get a D4S, walk out into the dark and BANG,you nail shot after shot, even on stuff my poor old eyes can't focus on.......just dial up the ISO and away you go,no flash & no worries. You CANNOT achieve any of that with the smaller lense. For nocturnal animals, flash is horrible both for the photo and the animal. For the bird, early morning and late afternoon, with shadows, poor light and the like, the little job won't even go close to nailing the shot.

Anyway, I'm only running off the top if my head and I'm not the dill on the camera, my only roll being to lug the shit around and to do as I'm told ;). In the early days I also use to bank roll some of her gear, however ow she mostly takes care of that, I just buy little gifts some time, but seriously it's a wad of gear and most unnecessary for most of us. Personally I can stuff up the easiest of shots with the best of the gear,so I've got no hope.

Finally for the wealthy and those chasing street cred (& there's plenty of those about), it is often amusing to see ppl walking with high end DSLR and cheap crappy lenses on them. waste of time IMHO. OR the guy with the big gear and it's running on Auto. I'd like a dollar for every person I've seen with like a D800level camera and the flash keeps popping up in low life and they have no idea how to set the camera to achieve basic results......laughable really.

all the best.

• Like 1

^^ ND, exactly. It's performance at the extremes that makes the difference. I can shoot my Pentax K-3 side by side with much more expensive full frame cameras and most people would struggle to notice the difference. But this is only in good light. Turn the lights down and the K-3 is smoked, not so much on low light AF (which is very good) but it just won't perform well in poor light at higher ISO. The crop sensors are too noisy, especially at this pixel density. To get anywhere in low light you have to shoot wide open and even with my 50/1.2 and 55/1.2 all you get is a lot of purple fringing and not very sharp.

Bigger the sensor the better . . . to a point, before the camera loses other performance attributes like frames per second and buffer capacity.

^^ ND, exactly. It's performance at the extremes that makes the difference. I can shoot my Pentax K-3 side by side with much more expensive full frame cameras and most people would struggle to notice the difference. But this is only in good light. Turn the lights down and the K-3 is smoked, not so much on low light AF (which is very good) but it just won't perform well in poor light at higher ISO. The crop sensors are too noisy, especially at this pixel density. To get anywhere in low light you have to shoot wide open and even with my 50/1.2 and 55/1.2 all you get is a lot of purple fringing and not very sharp.

Bigger the sensor the better . . . to a point, before the camera loses other performance attributes like frames per second and buffer capacity.

Regarding your last statement. That is one of the reasons that you find Nikons flagship camera is only 16mp, verses some of the other options around. For example the D800 cameras are 36mp but relatively slow at fps, but they are moving an incredible amount of data at 4fps @ 36 mp.

The low light ability of that 16mp camera is outstanding. Of course some people only judge the camera by the amount of MP it has, sadly if they only realised 10-12 mp is more than enough for most people.

The beauty of that massive 36 mp comes when cropping, the down side of it is the file size.....which only really requires more money to be spent on computing power/storage.

You can see a big difference in ISO capability between our old clunker D300S and the Big Bang Nikon, it's like chalk and cheese.

IYou already know but anyone doubting this could test their camera right next to one of the big guys to see what we mean.....same photographer, same scene, two cameras. Of course it helps if you can drive the camera 5555555

• Like 1

Last year, I movedup to the D5200, which confirmed two things: how much I enjoy messing about with photography (especially when using our forum for 'themed' shots) and secondly just how horribly ignorant and amateurish I am (again especially when looking at some of our contributors). I saw a release/rumour about the new Nikon and thought "Wow! I bet that will produce good shots" but of course, it's a bit like the old computer adage, GIGO. The shots will really only be as good as the person behind the lens, in terms of skill using the equipment's facilities, and their creativity....two areas this happy snapper has oodles of space in which to improve and expand!

OK...not totally relevant to the OP, I'm sorry, but this seemed a good opportunity to say thanks to you all for the encouragement, inspiration and even appreciation that you have showed.If, for some horrible reason TV should fall victim to censorship or closure, then you will be welcome on Rob8891's Flickr page, where I dump a lot of photos (maybe time to some housekeeping!)

Thanks, guys!

• Like 1

Learn to use off camera flash and it's not all chalk and cheese.

You use off camera flash when photographing wildlife? You must be good. Actually there's thousands of examples where one might not want to use a flash. You understand I wasn't putting the D300 down, there is after all a reason why we kept this camera ;)

• Like 2

Last year, I movedup to the D5200, which confirmed two things: how much I enjoy messing about with photography (especially when using our forum for 'themed' shots) and secondly just how horribly ignorant and amateurish I am (again especially when looking at some of our contributors). I saw a release/rumour about the new Nikon and thought "Wow! I bet that will produce good shots" but of course, it's a bit like the old computer adage, GIGO. The shots will really only be as good as the person behind the lens, in terms of skill using the equipment's facilities, and their creativity....two areas this happy snapper has oodles of space in which to improve and expand!

OK...not totally relevant to the OP, I'm sorry, but this seemed a good opportunity to say thanks to you all for the encouragement, inspiration and even appreciation that you have showed.If, for some horrible reason TV should fall victim to censorship or closure, then you will be welcome on Rob8891's Flickr page, where I dump a lot of photos (maybe time to some housekeeping!)

Thanks, guys!

Nothing to apologise for, you make a very valid point. It's the exact reason why that it doesn't matter which camera I pick up, the photos are still just ordinary 555555.

Some people are well qualified to drive the better cameras and achieve outstanding results. It's those people that find a big difference between the good cameras and anything else.

Anyway, I was mainly looking to lure MJP into a D800S or whatever they r going to call it. I will be interested to see what the specs are over the current camera.

Good luck with your D5200, nice camera.

Thanks, guys!

Nothing to apologise for, you make a very valid point. It's the exact reason why that it doesn't matter which camera I pick up, the photos are still just ordinary 555555.

Some people are well qualified to drive the better cameras and achieve outstanding results. It's those people that find a big difference between the good cameras and anything else.

Anyway, I was mainly looking to lure MJP into a D800S or whatever they r going to call it. I will be interested to see what the specs are over the current camera.

Good luck with your D5200, nice camera.

More tempted with the D800s than a medium format Pentax. Deffo!

Would have to dump all the Pentax crop cams and glass though.

• Like 1

That's the thing M. When you cross over it hurts, no matter what way you look at it.

I'm only stirring you.

if there's not much in the 800 s upgrade, you should speak to sunshine...... he's dropping down to a girls camera cos his arms can't hold the d800 up anymore. he's got good glass too.

You and I could hard ball him on price ;)

What r the chances he'll spring us here :P

Sunshine, without peeping at near pixel level how much better in terms of colout or sharpness are your images from the 800e, also have you ever shot something that has resulted in moire in the image eg...from fabrics or whatever?

Would you advise someone to buy the e version than the normal 800?

I cant afford an 800 but was thinking of the 7000 but I think I can push a bit further into my credit card for a 7100 which has no OLPC.

The D700 was considered but there is pretty much no difference in image quality than a brand new D7000 for nearly half the price, OK there's other benefits but I don't need them right now.

I know both the 7000 and 7100 can deliver what I need but just wondered your opinion about the removal of the filter if it has ever posed a problem in any of your shots.

^^^ rhythmworx... Straight 800 vs 800E first...yes I have had the moire problem a couple times at first but I just change my position to eliminate it. Just move off angle a tad bit & presto...no moire no more. In shooting peoples faces (press conferences etc) the 800E is as sharp as a laser razor if one has the glass to enable that sort of sharpness and that glass costs heaps. To me this is the only difference between the two cameras and in the end quite possibly not worth the extra $$$$ one will shell out for the 800E over the 800. Advice to buy? That really depends on you and what you want in the end. In essence will you require that laser razor sharpness in everything you will be shooting? Are you willing to shell out the dosh for a laser razor capable lens ...say the 70-200 @2.8 VRII? Plus a battery grip to help offset the weight of the big lens & enable longer shoot times? That kit right there is big bucks & personally I wouldn't want to use any 3rd party stuff to save the $$$$. The largest difference to me between the D7K & D7100 is the sensor...forget the other "minor stuff" others say make a difference between the two. They are both great cameras and if you must push the credit card then by all means get the 7100. But think seriously about this...a brand new D7K is fairly cheap these days and do you really need 24MP? I mean, if you can't get a good shot with 16MP what diff will 8 more MP make? Also do you envision in your future to go full 35mm frame equivalent? Please understand I hate the term FX...I used to own a Hassie H4D-50...was that FX? I kinda doubt it as it's a different format altogether where DX & FX have zero meaning. But I digress...If you reckon that somewhere in the future you will want the full frame 35 equivalent sensor...then keep your DX (APS-C) investment reasonable. What's reasonable? Up to you. But I wouldn't buy a heap of DX lenses and a couple bodies now to only flog em off in a couple years because you won't get much trade in or in a personal sale...much for it all. If you're looking at a dual capable camera (stills & video) then forget the D700. There apparently is new hack that enables the 700 to shoot video but in essence the 700 is a straight still camera and what I would recommend to you if you only want stills and have that nagging "I want FX real soon" idea in the head. Low shutter count 700's in great condition are a around the price of a new 7100 now. Both the D7K & the D7100 do excellent video....just fyi. In the end FX glass is expensive. DX glass is cheaper....in price but not quality. It's awfully difficult to "future proof" a camera these days so my best advice to you is to buy the best you can afford for the budget you have and get out shooting & off the keyboard!

I forgot to mention the colour between the 800/800E....no difference...if one uses "good glass".

NB...edit to add the last line.

Edited by sunshine51

Just read that apparently the D800S or 810 (whatever they call it) is actually being made in Thailand.

I'm starting to wonder about Nikon, prior to this Thailand was only slotting the APS-C (DX) sensor cameras together..... all the full frame stuff was being stitched together in Japan.

ND is it definitely a FF camera they are releasing?

Could be the D400, D7300

Oh and sunshine cheers for the reply, decided not to upgrade until my photos are as good as they can get.

I go through this never ending upgrade v' don't upgrade cycle each month, and come to the conclusion not to upgrade.

Edited by rhythmworx

^^^ ND...Cost cutting perhaps?

DEFINATELY. Nikon has problems, sales are dropping, their people ( board) don't have the answers. Past problems and their inability to handle them appropriately are continuing to effect them.

The need to sell cameras and they need to streamline production.

THEY DO NOT NEED another series of QC problems.

dangerous times .......

• Like 1

Could be the D400, D7300

Oh and sunshine cheers for the reply, decided not to upgrade until my photos are as good as they can get.

I go through this never ending upgrade v' don't upgrade cycle each month, and come to the conclusion not to upgrade.

D7300 - NO.

D400/9300 - Possibly.

I am leaning towards a D800 'update' as it is a chance to boost sales with minimum $$$$ output. ie: Same camera with expeed 4 (already developed for D4s) and a few minor tweaks. It will also streamline the D800/D800E production line with just the 1 replacement camera (no aa filter & better program to deal with moire). Cost = New box and sticker ;) & not much more :)

Could be the D400, D7300

Upgrades or "cross-deck"....it all boils down to 1.5 "things"...Money and the future you see yourself in.

DX to FX can be painful....bear that in mind.

• Like 2