Tambien Bahn, Yellow Residents Book.

There are a lot of threads, going back to 2007, about the issuing of Tambien Bahn, Yellow residents book.

As I obtained mine last Friday, I would like to share my experience on TVF.

I visited the Local Authority Offices last Monday to inquire what documents they needed to issue the book.

1. Copy of Marriage certificate, (both pages).
  2. Copy from Immigration office that I am entitled to stay in Thailand.
  3. Copy of certificate, stamped by the ministry of foreign Affairs, stating the names of your Father and Mother. (I, used the divorce certificate, stamped by the Embassy, translated, and stamped by the Ministry))
  4. Copy of wife’s Tambien Bahn, Blue Book
  5. Copy of wife’s ID card.
  6. Copy of your Passport.
  7. 150 Baht.
  8. Your wife.

Went back on Friday, after making appointment and gave them the papers, stated above.

After signing all the papers and the wife signing also, I was asked to wait for about 3 hours, while the officer was studying my papers and had numerous brakes for drinks, chatting and laughing around.

I was subjected to listen to the Army songs, coming from the Television (some of them, quite catchy).

Anyway, at the end, I was handed the Yellow Book.

What, I would like to ask the members, is what is the benefit of having that book?

I got it, because the wife insisted, and when I asked why, the answer was that living in Thailand I need it.

Your answers will be appreciated.

Regards

Costas

While you don't really "need" it, a yellow book can be useful at times. Opening bank accounts, for example.

Also can be used in lieu of a Residency cert for driving licenses and buying/selling vehicles, I have heard. Probably someone here can confirm that.

• Like 1

I went for mine about 4 years ago. We went to the office and after a few minutes she was called to the desk. I could see the conversation getting a bit heated and then after about 10 minutes she came back and said we needed photos. Apparently she had been told to come back some time later with a list of their requirements. She got a bit upset at this and told the guy she worked the same hours as he did, only reason we were there that day was because she had been to the revenue department on company business. She demanded to see the manager and that is when he asked what we had and that we needed photos.

We shot round the corner to a photographer and got them in about 20 minutes. When we got back to the office she was called to desk virtually immediately and after about 10 minutes I was called to the desk. I had to show my passport which he copied and then sign a couple of forms, another 10 minutes and it was all over. My brother in law picked the book up a week later.

It comes in useful at times, particularly at hospitals, I am registered at 4 local hospitals and the staff appeared reluctant until I produced the yellow book.

• Like 1

Can you tell us the name of the certificate that must have your mother and father's names (stamped by Ministry of Foreign Affairs)? Does this need to be in Thai?

I assume that the divorce decree had this information in it already. But for those without a divorce decree, the certificate or form name would be helpful.

edit: is it possible to get one without marriage?

Also, what exactly does the yellow book state inside? does it ever need to be updated or is it a one-time thing?

Edited by 4evermaat

I got mine a few months ago, mainly for the fact that if I didn't manage to be in country to get my normal 1yr non-o extension, for whatever reason. I could get a new non-o multiple entry visa from Vientiane embassy (as per the officer quote) with no problem. So, in some instances, it may help with the paperwork.

• Like 1

Can you tell us the name of the certificate that must have your mother and father's names (stamped by Ministry of Foreign Affairs)? Does this need to be in Thai?

I assume that the divorce decree had this information in it already. But for those without a divorce decree, the certificate or form name would be helpful.

edit: is it possible to get one without marriage?

Also, what exactly does the yellow book state inside? does it ever need to be updated or is it a one-time thing?

I presume, that a Birth certificate, translated in Thai and stamped by the Ministry would be OK.

The divorce decree was what I had in hand, without having to run to BKK.

Sorry, I don't know if you can get one without marriage.

Maybe some other members can give this info.

It is an one time thing but you have to update if you change your address.

Lots of empty pages inside.

Otherwise it's all in Thai.

Wife said that it also contains an ID number, allocated to me.

Sorry, I can't help you more.

Regards

Costas

It may be down to the Amphur or the requirements may have changed, but I was not asked for anything from Immigration or the Ministry. Just the marriage certificate and wifes blue book. I had just built the house and I think i had a document pertaining to the house but not sure if that was used.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Gentlemen before you go duplicating another posters documentation requirements you need to go to YOUR amphur and ask what THEY require. NO two amphurs in Thailand have the same requirements.

It may be down to the Amphur or the requirements may have changed, but I was not asked for anything from Immigration or the Ministry. Just the marriage certificate and wifes blue book. I had just built the house and I think i had a document pertaining to the house but not sure if that was used.

As I stated in my OP, this was my personal experience and requirements from my local Ampfur.

Please check with your local area, as Khwaibah said.

If you search on the net, I'm sure you'll find all the info you need, however, for the forum, a Yellow Book is merely a statement of proof of address. This can be obtained e.g if your wife has land and/or house in which you reside, she (or the other entity) will have a Blue book (reserved for Thais and Permanent Residents only) for that house/land address, and can act as a guarantor that you indeed reside at that address. To obtain a yellow Book, will require a visit to the Local Amphur (District) office, together with 2 witnesses of local standing to verify you, and some offices may also require paperwork from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok as proof of your validity, others may not depending on the circumstances. otherwise, a standard immigration letter of proof of address from your local office will be ok. This will mean photocopies of your passport ID page together with a bill of some sort for your address and addressed to you. Some offices may accept bank/visa card statements as proof, others may not, again check with the Amphur first. On presenting yourself at the Amphur, you might be interviewed (this is to weed out the people who try and get a yellow book illegally), maybe you won't depending on the Amphur. The whole process might take a few hours to a few minutes depending on the Amphur again, and depending on who your with. The Yellow Book provides you with some sense of validty in Thailand if required, but for my part, the main being that it may help in getting multiple entry visas (non-o) rather than single entry as I may expect. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Local Amphur, Kantharawichai, Mahasarakham Province

About 4 years ago after doing a lot of research here on Thai Visa I ventured down to the local Amphur to enquire about a yellow book only to be told that falang can not have one….

I knew that this was not the case so I ,my wife as interpreter, insisted that I could…anyway to cut a long story short, out came the big book of rules and I was told to come back the next day.

Well as you can guess I was right, just because nobody else had asked for one they think they don’t exist.

So for my Yellow Book :-

I had to take the Phu Yai Ban (Village Headman) and another witness (neighbour) to say I lived in the Village, they had to sign forms etc.

Also they insisted on having my passport and birth certificate translated, and then verified by the M.F.I…Found out later this was so they could have my name, and my Mother and Fathers name in Thai.

Copy of marriage certificates (both)

Also 2 Photos and copies of my passport pages showing visas and extensions of stay,

As well as the wife and her ID and Tabien Bann (blue book).

All in all it took about 3-4 weeks to get my book with NO CHARGE.

Incidentally our Amphur insists that Yellow Books can only be given if you are married, which I know is not the case.

Have a nice Day.

A few things I would like to answer as I saw no clear answers there.

Costas, the use of the Yellow House book is not yet a must, but it will be, in some time from now it will be an obligation to prove your residential address. The only way to do that is the Yellow House book.

I have had a statement of residence from the amphoe, for my pension application, but that was one paper, dated, so not valid anymore next day.

The Yellow House book is, like the first page of the blue book, a certificate with details of the residence, page 2 then shows details about yourself, and if you have people living in, they could be mentioned too, in case they are not Thai.

The Yellow House book gives you open doors at banks, car dealers, motorcycle shops, as with that you can buy a car or any vehicle on your name.

Immigration prefers to have a copy of your Yellow House book, for extension of stay, other than based on marriage. Also, as posted, Thai embassies consider it proof of residence. Think of this: no tourist, short time or long time or overstay, has a Yellow House book, When you apply, your passport and visa or extension is checked, so no "work around". It's kind of legitimate proof of residence, only for expats.

No, you don't have to be married, it's about you and your residence. If you are single and rent a house, you can obtain a Yellow House book too, in my case my ex wife is the first person in the blue book, that I have, and I am the first and only person mentioned in the Yellow book.

I expect that it will become a "must have" for expats, as no other proof of residence is available.

BTW mine took 3 months, I live in the sticks and probably was the first expat to apply. Luckily ex FIL works at the subdistrict government so that opens a few doors. There was no tea money involved... :)

• Like 1

Costas, the use of the Yellow House book is not yet a must, but it will be, in some time from now it will be an obligation to prove your residential address. The only way to do that is the Yellow House book.

I have had a statement of residence from the amphoe, for my pension application, but that was one paper, dated, so not valid anymore next day.

The Yellow House book is, like the first page of the blue book, a certificate with details of the residence, page 2 then shows details about yourself, and if you have people living in, they could be mentioned too, in case they are not Thai.

"

No, you don't have to be married, it's about you and your residence. If you are single and rent a house, you can obtain a Yellow House book too, in my case my ex wife is the first person in the blue book, that I have, and I am the first and only person mentioned in the Yellow book.

I expect that it will become a "must have" for expats, as no other proof of residence is available.

BTW mine took 3 months, I live in the sticks and probably was the first expat to apply. Luckily ex FIL works at the subdistrict government so that opens a few doors. There was no tea money involved... smile.png

"The Yellow House book gives you open doors at banks, car dealers, motorcycle shops, as with that you can buy a car or any vehicle on your name.

Immigration prefers to have a copy of your Yellow House book, for extension of stay, other than based on marriage. Also, as posted, Thai embassies consider it proof of residence. Think of this: no tourist, short time or long time or overstay, has a Yellow House book, When you apply, your passport and visa or extension is checked, so no "work around". It's kind of legitimate proof of residence, only for expats."

Incorrect there are government agencies and banks that do note recognize a yellow house book. This book can help but it is not an end all.

"

The Yellow House book gives you open doors at banks, car dealers, motorcycle shops, as with that you can buy a car or any vehicle on your name.

Immigration prefers to have a copy of your Yellow House book, for extension of stay, other than based on marriage. Also, as posted, Thai embassies consider it proof of residence. Think of this: no tourist, short time or long time or overstay, has a Yellow House book, When you apply, your passport and visa or extension is checked, so no "work around". It's kind of legitimate proof of residence, only for expats.

BTW mine took 3 months, I live in the sticks and probably was the first expat to apply. Luckily ex FIL works at the subdistrict government so that opens a few doors. There was no tea money involved... smile.png

SanukJoell, Thank you very much for your post.

It answers my questions and I believe it will be very helpful also for the rest of the members.

Thank you again

Regards

Costas

• Like 1

SanukjoeII.

Please get yourfacts straight.

I received my yellow book on a tourist visa,7 years ago.

When I purchased a property (sole ownership)

the blue book was duly noterised.

I then held both.Yes (yes I am a foreigner)

Local Amphur, Kantharawichai, Mahasarakham Province

About 4 years ago after doing a lot of research here on Thai Visa I ventured down to the local Amphur to enquire about a yellow book only to be told that falang can not have one….

I knew that this was not the case so I ,my wife as interpreter, insisted that I could…anyway to cut a long story short, out came the big book of rules and I was told to come back the next day.

Well as you can guess I was right, just because nobody else had asked for one they think they don’t exist.

So for my Yellow Book :-

I had to take the Phu Yai Ban (Village Headman) and another witness (neighbour) to say I lived in the Village, they had to sign forms etc.

Also they insisted on having my passport and birth certificate translated, and then verified by the M.F.I…Found out later this was so they could have my name, and my Mother and Fathers name in Thai.

Copy of marriage certificates (both)

Also 2 Photos and copies of my passport pages showing visas and extensions of stay,

As well as the wife and her ID and Tabien Bann (blue book).

All in all it took about 3-4 weeks to get my book with NO CHARGE.

Incidentally our Amphur insists that Yellow Books can only be given if you are married, which I know is not the case.

Have a nice Day.

Mine went about the same as yours , but in Wapi. The only additional requirement / suggestion, that by making a meager donation to the towns temple reconstruction fund things might move along a bit quicker

I travel a lot on assignment in foreign countries across the World and often need to renew my Non-Immigrant "O" Visa in far away places (some with strange and unusual variations in the requirements needed at the various Embassies). My partner and I are not married but we have two children aged 6 and 2 - I get my Visa based on the fact that I'm their father.

At any one of the Embassies I've used from Manila to Abuja, Nigeria (and many points in between) producing my Yellow Book (which I've had for 6 years) seems to solve any minor problem. For example, as another poster has already noted - I can get a multiple entry Visa even though the Embassy states clearly the non-citizens apply in country X (eg Doha, Qatar) can only be issued with single entry visas. Having it with me in Nigeria and showing it to the kind Visa officer and he waived their local requirement that I also have to produce a certificate from the National Drug Enforcement Authority stating that I had not been convicted of a drug related offense in Nigeria in the last 3 years.

My Yellow book and colour photo copies of the same have enabled me:

- to pay a resident / local rate entering a National park and a local museum

- open a couple of bank accounts (with local credit cards)

- get a separate internet cable connection in my name and connected to my office in the house

- get my pre-paid AIS123 SIM converted into a post-paid account in my name which covers roaming and can be paid monthly when the bill is delivered to my BKK home and paid even when I'm on the other side of the world.

In fact it has been absolutely INVALUABLE - and I can't imagine why everyone living here hasn't got one. An earlier poster noted there is variation Amphur by Amphur but go find out the requirements most are described above. I was surprised to find that although I live in a up-market cluster development out in Samut Prakan beyond the airport - there is a traditional leader that we had to go see and take him a respectful "gift" to show our appreciation for accepting me as one of his residents. Now I'm sure that his "taste" in gifts had been inflated by the number of farangs in his area - but on reflection it was worth every baht.

• Like 1

SanukjoeII.

The fact is that not all district offices use the same requirements, as we have seen from the posts by members who applied for and received the yellow house registration book.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have one and am not married. The only use I've had for it is to open bank accounts. Would it also get me a non-immigrant O visa? I have been living in Thailand on tourist visas and visa exemptions. I don't work and don't need to. I would satisfy the requirements of retirement visa except for the age criteria.

SanukjoeII.

Yes I heard some guys talking like you, that they are in a blue TABIEN BAAN,,, but in all these cases it turned out that non of them could read or write thai!! Maybe you can.....

But hey, you falang, in a blue book, come on, you mean that Thailand is making that huge mistake...

Strange!!

Glegolo

• Like 1

Glegolo.

Please read again.

I never said my name was in the blue book.

I held the blue book,plus the yellow.

The blue book was notarized as such.

I recently sold the property and relinquished both.

Glegolo.

Please read again.

I never said my name was in the blue book.

I held the blue book,plus the yellow.

The blue book was notarized as such.

I recently sold the property and relinquished both.

Good that you explained, now me and other people can understand what you write

Glegolo