Thai coup leader disbands Senate, assumes law-making power

george

Unfortunately the UNDoHR cannot be seen as a law but must be seen as a political program/goal instead. That means the Declaration applies even in Thailand but there is no court you could turn to, if your fundamental rights are violated. That would have been the case with the former Thai "judiciary", now with martial law in force the chance to ask a court for help does not even exist theoretically.

Absolutely the UN is a toothless organization with no real power to enforce it's mandate. However the Declaration is something that every country should aspire to but as we should be aware academic theory is difficult to apply in practical situations.

Article 21.

• (1) Everyone has the right to take part in the government of his country, directly or through freely chosen representatives.

Thailand violates this right because a university degree is required to hold office in Thailand's Democracy.

The word Democracy is used as if it is the be all and end all of everything. Unfortunately it is not and it exists in many forms. I doubt that most people who talk of Democracy have any idea that in most countries especially developed ones it is governed by Proportional Representation. Which simply means it is not one person one vote. You are only voting to elect your provincial government not national government. However the Thai system does give two votes. One for a candidate and one for a party. Monks are not allowed to vote in Thailand.

Dr. Thaksin made voting compulsory in Thailand, which is un-democratic. His original proposal was if someone fails to cast their vote their right to vote would be withdrawn. I am not sure if this is still the case but Democracy includes the right to vote, abstain or spoil your ballot paper.

From a personal perspective I have zero faith or trust in Democracy because it is a flawed system and as many people have commented it is the best of all evils but these comments have usually been made by politicians. I have no answer that would please everyone but Democracy is extremely open to infinite manipulation and it always will be.

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unfortunately the UNDoHR cannot be seen as a law but must be seen as a political program/goal instead. That means the Declaration applies even in Thailand but there is no court you could turn to, if your fundamental rights are violated. That would have been the case with the former Thai "judiciary", now with martial law in force the chance to ask a court for help does not even exist theoretically.

Absolutely the UN is a toothless organization with no real power to enforce it's mandate. However the Declaration is something that every country should aspire to but as we should be aware academic theory is difficult to apply in practical situations.

Article 21.

• (1) Everyone has the right to take part in the government of his country, directly or through freely chosen representatives.
Thailand violates this right because a university degree is required to hold office in Thailand's Democracy.

The word Democracy is used as if it is the be all and end all of everything. Unfortunately it is not and it exists in many forms. I doubt that most people who talk of Democracy have any idea that in most countries especially developed ones it is governed by Proportional Representation. Which simply means it is not one person one vote. You are only voting to elect your provincial government not national government. However the Thai system does give two votes. One for a candidate and one for a party. Monks are not allowed to vote in Thailand.

Dr. Thaksin made voting compulsory in Thailand, which is un-democratic. His original proposal was if someone fails to cast their vote their right to vote would be withdrawn. I am not sure if this is still the case but Democracy includes the right to vote, abstain or spoil your ballot paper.

From a personal perspective I have zero faith or trust in Democracy because it is a flawed system and as many people have commented it is the best of all evils but these comments have usually been made by politicians. I have no answer that would please everyone but Democracy is extremely open to infinite manipulation and it always will be.

In terms of real democracy, like in a Scandinavian country or NZ (not Thai-style), what do you think is a better system than democracy?

As much as I dislike the Shinawatres and the people they put in power positions, and as flawed as democracy is in Thailand (whew, long sentence), the Shinawatres should still be at the helm. If the Thai majority voted them in, so be it, until a new bunch of crooks are voted in. It's ultimately up to the Thai people. If they vote for dummies and crooks (the type of people who authorize $33k each for little black boxes which do nothing), then that's what they get.

It's like a bunch of rowdy kids given a choice of what they want for lunch. The choices: tofu & egg salad, or candy. If they vote to have nothing but candy for lunch, and then they get stomach aches and tooth decay, well som nam na (that's their karma).

I care more for nature than for politics. Yet Thai politicians have wordlessly declared war on nature. Look around. Nature is losing every battle. Thailand is becoming a mini-China, with no real parks, and nearly everything not covered in buildings is being covered with concrete and asphalt.

• Like 1

What government did you ask for an education?

Ask is the wrong word. I was given a government education.

Who ultimately paid for your "government education"? When exactly did education become a "basic human right" and in what country?

Education is a basic human right in my home country Sweden. All education in government or privat schools are free up to the age of 19. After that the University education is nearly free. Just a very very small fee that every person can pay. Like a couple of hundred dollars a year.

And if you are older and didn't got any good education when you where young. Then the governement will give you a salary when you continue your studies at mature age.

Every person that is 16 or older and study also get a student grant of about $ 160 a month. And if you need more you get a study loan

Edited by larsjohnsson

What government did you ask for an education?

Ask is the wrong word. I was given a government education.

Who ultimately paid for your "government education"? When exactly did education become a "basic human right" and in what country?

Education is a basic human right in my home country Sweden. All education in government or privat schools are free up to the age of 19. After that the University education is nearly free. Just a very very small fee that every person can pay. Like a couple of hundred dollars a year

With the technology and resources available today.... the price of education should be going down (but isn't because of the lack of foresight). Textbooks can be replaced by community (educational community) edited editions of ebooks/wiki's. Most lectures and assignments could be made available for downloading and learning at home. The only thing that still needs institutions for is to certify that you learned what you were suppose to learn and for lab assignments where physical work is needed. The vast majority of information learned at all levels could be broken down into a mind map equivalent where you learn small sections of information at a time and then are tested on those bits until you learn enough coverage of that knowlege map to be qualified. (mind map is a traversable relationship between ideas - the shorter the traversal - the closer it is related).

Education is a basic human right in my home country Sweden. All education in government or privat schools are free up to the age of 19. After that the University education is nearly free. Just a very very small fee that every person can pay. Like a couple of hundred dollars a year. And if you are older and didn't got any good education when you where young. Then the governement will give you a salary when you continue your studies at mature age

Sweden is a civilized country. Thailand is a different kettle of fish altogether.

Thailand claims to offer free education for grammar thru High School. Reality is much different. I personally know of Thai hill tribe families who don't send their kids to school. Education is not at all free in Thailand. There are high expenses for uniforms, books, and more, ....AND IT ALL HAS TO BE BOUGHT RETAIL.

Result, many families can't afford to send their kids to school.

Do the Shinawatres or military brass care about that? ha ha ha, they've got much more important things to be concerned about.

It would seem the military are finding more and more about the goings on of the previous administration and their families :

Posted 4 minutes ago

Rare wood logs confiscated from resort in Mae Hong Son

MAE HONG SON, 26 May 2014, (NNT) -The Military and officials of the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation have raided a resort in Mae Hong Son and confiscated logs of rosewood and praduak.

Officials found several logs of the rare wood, both processed and unprocessed, along with a number of chainsaws at Pai River Rock Resort in Pai District of Mae Hong Son Province. The resort is owned by Mr. Jaruwong Ruengsuwan, the eldest son of the former Interior Minister and Pheu Thai Party Leader Jarupong Ruengsuwan.

Aside from the logs, the joint forces also discovered explosives and weapon components, as well as several protected animals held in the compound. Officials said that the owner does not possess the necessary documentation to keep the wild animals, adding that the authorities from the Department of National Parks would place these animals under their care for the time being.

nntlogo.jpg.pagespeed.ce.5C6sHNTwTn.jpg
-- NNT 2014-05-26

Article 21.

I believe that in the UK if you fail to register on the electoral role, you can be fined up to 1000 pounds sterling. that's also hardly democratic either if that's the case, especially if you have no intentions of voting.

I have never voted in my life, and have no intentions of either as there's no such thing as an honest politician, they all lie through their teeth by virtue!!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This one caught me by surprise -- it looked as though he was going to let it stand since a large number of them were appointed by the right people. I guess he wants people that do exactly what he says. Lets see if he has them report and locks the senators up. Don't like coups at all - but if he actually cracks down on all corruption equally I would change my mind.

Cracking down on all corruption?
How does one become a general in Thailand?

Hmmm. Not many on here defending the coup now are there?

I don't understand why the general has taken over the senate but I trust he is doing what has to be done for the good of the country and the people.

I thought it was funny: "Civil liberties have been curbed, media restrictions imposed, most of the constitution abrogated"

BUT THIS IS NORMAL !!!!!!

civil liberties and freedom to say what you want and media freedom is ALWAYS RESTRICTED!!!!

the Curfew is also COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY... he is simply doing it to "show off" just how powerful he is: "The great and powerful Wizard of Oz" using his instruments behind a curtain to make himself look larger than life and scare the thai public at how great he is.