Second hand Yamaha .n00b here :(

An acquaintance has offered to sell his Yamaha Nano sport 115cc, for 15,000 bht!

I don't know all that much about bikes so I'm not sure if this is a reasonable price?
I'm told a new chain-guard has been put on, breaks tightened and no loose parts.
Valid papers but no plates.. 4 speed manual and has clocked 24,000ks.
He bought it 2nd hand for 20,000 and has rode it 3yrs - reason for selling is because
he bought a brand new Honda Click..

Worth the price?

Motorbike enthusiasts please help :)

I've only seen photos of the bike a little dusty but I believe in good order. The guy I'm buying it from is a colleague in my department.

Apparently he's wife only rode the bike in the village far from the main town/roads which is the reason they never bothered to get registration.
How much for plates and registration? (or is that the same thing)

Apparently he's wife only rode the bike in the village far from the main town/roads which is the reason they never bothered to get registration.

If they bought it used & never changed the reg then it would still have a green book & plate

from previous owner albeit expired plate/tax

If they bought it new the dealer is the one who supplies green book & plate so

.....this sounds like a fishy deal IMHO

Edited by mania

How many Ks can the average 125cc bike do before the engine bust? Well, I went to a dealership today and saw a few nice bikes that I'm interested in. they averaged from 20,000 - 25,000 bht - but all have clocked over 150,000 ks - I need to buy a bike before the 9th of next month because I'm changing apartments and need to get too/from work daily. I'm also low on funds and the absolute last thing I want is my bike to clonk out first week riding it.... ahhhhhh!

As others said.. no green book no plates don't do it harder to sell later. The prices that they offer you for bikes with 150.000 (are you sure) seem a bit high. I bought a Yamaha 135cc with 15.000km on it for 25.000 and I did not even haggle about the price.

Kristy,

Just to get an idea of prices you should look in the thavisa adverts, i just saw a click 125I with 6321 km for 30.000 that sounds a lot better already. Maintenance is cheap here for scooters.

One more remark if no plates or green book.. how can you be 100% sure its not stolen ?

Kristy,

Just to get an idea of prices you should look in the thavisa adverts, i just saw a click 125I with 6321 km for 30.000 that sounds a lot better already. Maintenance is cheap here for scooters.

One more remark if no plates or green book.. how can you be 100% sure its not stolen ?

You make a valid point indeed. I'm told the bike has valid papers (don't know exactly what that means though) just not registered.

yea! I;ve seen heaps of good bike deals in the advert section of TV, only problem is I'm located in Kalasin......

If they bought it used & never changed the reg then it would still have a green book & plate

I'm told it was bought 2nd hand already.......

I'm told it was bought 2nd hand already.......

Then it should have a green book naming the legal owner

which would be transferred to you

When folks say they have "papers" here they mean invoice or excise only.

Not legal & considered a "gray" bike

Buying is possible & many do but in a land with so many legal bikes to buy

why bother or take the risk?

Check Face Book if you have an account

What ever province you live in will have a "second hand Chiangmai" or insert where ever

you live instead of chiangmai to see the page. Many scooters there as well as major shops.

Those are usually the better ways to go.

Good Luck

Edited by mania

can I get the bike legally registered if it haas no plates or green book?

Sure you probably can but do you want to go thru that?

You need to chase down the legal owner because someone

will be listed somewhere

But as I said do you want to go thru all that when so many others

are available?

Seems like taking sand to the beach :)

can I get the bike legally registered if it haas no plates or green book?

Unless the seller has the green-book & in his name, forget it.

If only plate is missing...not sure, probably doable.

Ask a dealer to look at the transaction and see if they will handle it.

Edited by papa al

How many Ks can the average 125cc bike do before the engine bust? Well, I went to a dealership today and saw a few nice bikes that I'm interested in. they averaged from 20,000 - 25,000 bht - but all have clocked over 150,000 ks - I need to buy a bike before the 9th of next month because I'm changing apartments and need to get too/from work daily. I'm also low on funds and the absolute last thing I want is my bike to clonk out first week riding it.... ahhhhhh!

"20,000 - 25,000 bht - but all have clocked over 150,000 ks" If that's true a/ they are well past their use by date and b/ why hasn't the dealer wound the clock back???

"they averaged from 20,000 - 25,000 bht - but all have clocked over 150,000 ks" If that's true a/ they are well past their use by date and b/ why hasn't the dealer wound the clock back???

• Like 1

"they averaged from 20,000 - 25,000 bht - but all have clocked over 150,000 ks" If that's true a/ they are well past their use by date and b/ why hasn't the dealer wound the clock back???

I'd actually be quite wary about buying a bike from someone who didn't even know how / can't be bothered to wind the clock back!

Update: I spoke with my colleague this morning and he said he bought the bike from a dealership in his wife's name and has all supporting documents to prove it. just no plates.
The bike is registered in her name with her tabian baan details etc.. I have no idea if I'm making sense, but I'm just forwarding what I was told.....

Still worth buying?

Edited by kirstymelb101

Update: I spoke with my colleague this morning and he said it bought the bike from a dealer in his wife's name and has all supporting documents to prove it. just no plates..

Great that means he has the greenbook albeit in his wife's name.

Since he bought from a dealer "new" then the plate is there at the dealer

Tell him go get it.

Once that is done go with his wife since she is the owner to the DMV

Have her sign off & see the book put into your name.

Then & only then pay her

Nothing else works

Edited by mania
  • Like 2

Update: I spoke with my colleague this morning and he said it bought the bike from a dealer in his wife's name and has all supporting documents to prove it. just no plates..

Great that means he has the greenbook albeit in his wife's name.

Since he bought from a dealer "new" then the plate is there at the dealer

Tell him go get it.

Once that is done go with his wife since she is the owner to the DMV

Have her sign off & see the book put into your name.

Then & only then pay her

Nothing else works

My colleague had bought the bike second hand already from a dealership.

The previous owner before him didn't have the 'green book', only papers.

My colleague never received a 'green book' from the dealership, only transfer papers / name and credentials of the previous owner.

And my colleague used this information to transfer the bike into his wife's name.

So the bike is technically registered in his wife's name

But doesn't have plates.

Am I making sense? @_@

Edited by kirstymelb101

And my colleague used this information to transfer the bike into his wife's name.

But doesn't have plates.

Am I making sense? @_@

Yes I understand now what your saying & the

advice would then be walk away period

What your pals friend has is what they call invoice

basically a receipt the wife bought it.

Just walk away

Good bikes with legal green books are everywhere

• Like 1

But doesn't have plates.

Am I making sense? @_@

Just walk away

If it's still legal and the bike is registered in the wife's name what's the problem?

But doesn't have plates.

Am I making sense? @_@

Just walk away

Yes I agree.. no green book not worth it.. too much trouble with it.

But doesn't have plates.

Am I making sense? @_@

Just walk away

If it's still legal and the bike is registered in the wife's name what's the problem?

First of you should get a big discount as it makes selling harder.

Second might be real hard to get plates or get it in your name. No plates nice target for police. Insuring it is harder ect ect.

But you seem to have your mind set on it. So just go for it ignore what is been said.

The fact is so many good bikes for sale.. why go for a handicapped one unless at a really discounted price.

• Like 2