Unfazed foreign tourists take coup in their stride

Lite Beer

Hopefully this coup might result in the scruffy ill mannered holidaying scratters from the UK going elsewhere for their vacation.

The LOS will be a far better place with no pink skinned, beer bellied, foul mouthed plying their 'wares'.

And the Russians.

Oh dear, there's a coup on, and that's all that worries you two....

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a tourist and I see the military are the best thing to happen after so much corruption with wicked politicians

Thailand is always great and the coup is not stoppin the fun

Last night's party was a night to remember and some of the best fun is during the coup

Obviously a frreedom loving democrat.

I am a tourist and I see the military are the best thing to happen after so much corruption with wicked politicians

Thailand is always great and the coup is not stoppin the fun

Last night's party was a night to remember and some of the best fun is during the coup

You must be from Uganda and big fan of Idi Amin too.

Demu does have a valid point.

Thailand for a very long time has been a cesspit of corruption from the very top down.

You just need to look at the day to day antics of the so called police to see that. Anything that can even attempt to clean up the mess has to be welcomed, and if a few drunk whoring tourists are inconvenienced, tough.

Anyone who believes corruption has now come to an end because of the coup must also believe in the Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus.

All the political parties, as well as the police and military are equally corrupt. Just different pockets being filled now. Thailand is no safer

or more dangerous with the coup other than many crimes happen late at night when over-served bar patrons are weaving there way home.

Of course tourists who are now there will make the best of the situation and I am sure they will have a great time, and tourists that can't

cancel or postpone there trips will still come and also enjoy themselves. But I would be very surprised if anyone who has not booked will

say, "oh look Thailand is under Martial Law and has a 10 pm - 5am curfew, lets go there" The tourist industry will suffer greatly in the

coming months if they don't end this curfew right quickly. blink.png

• Like 2

just had a couple of mates book their flights here for july, not on the least worried about the coup as they are not coming over to party. Seems the ones that dont like it are those wanting to drink and party hard, those that are here for other reasons seem to be fine with it as they can stioll see all the attractions they want to, all it is doping is screwing up the "late" night life.

• Like 1

bolllox

i have friends who direct the operations of an International hotel chain in Thailand ..a massive 90% drop in bookings, plus cancelations of pre made bookings are over 60% …this is just the start, and anyone who believes the Army will give back power anytime soon is deluded

I always wanted to be an unfazed tourist when I grew up but now I am an unfazed expat. Oh gee why should we care about the economic impact of the lagging tourist money or the Hiltons of the world??

We have had to cancel a regional conference next week as a result of this. Many were still prepared to travel but the travel advisories from HK and Singapore are so harsh (one wonders why...) nobody from there would come.

Crying shame , we have spent 2 years convincing them to use Bangkok as a regional training centre and then this ! At present , we have another training planned here in a couple of months and I am fighting to keep that as planned for the time being. If that gets cancelled as well, then I think that will be Bangkok ruled out as a conference destination for my organization for a couple of years.

I think a dark few months for tourism and MICE lays ahead...

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Are you some kind of booking agent or just a lowly conference attendee? Who is we and who is them? "we have spent 2 years convincing them to use Bangkok as a regional training centre" What is your organization??, " ruled out as a conference destination for my organization for a couple of years."

just had a couple of mates book their flights here for july, not on the least worried about the coup as they are not coming over to party. Seems the ones that dont like it are those wanting to drink and party hard, those that are here for other reasons seem to be fine with it as they can stioll see all the attractions they want to, all it is doping is screwing up the "late" night life.

Did you not party when you were young and silly? Make a few mistakes? Attempt to get off with the (wo)man of your fancy? Listen to pop music stereo cassettes?

Bloody hell, man! Allow today's youngsters a bit of slack!

With hotel occupancy so low have the smarter hotels started offering generous discounts, or have prices remained the same?

This is Thailand so they will raise prices. Just did a quick check on Expedia to see if there were any cheap fares for a last minute booking - no chance £630 non stop from London to Bangkok was the cheapest. So no bargains as such yet as far as I can see.

I just wish to say that I love everything about this coup. I love the coup leaders, I love their supporters such as Scamper and djamie on this forum. The coup is a wonderful thing. I now realise that democracy in the west was a foolish illusion. We all need to promote coups and army takeovers. Whenever I visit the western world, now that I have come to this realisation, I will be promoting coups.

Sorry moderators if I'm not sufficiently enthusiastic. Here's a bit more to indicate my undying love for coups:

Lovely lovely coups. Promote them, advocate them. Coups are the way forward. Democracy is finished: democracy is the "old way". Coups are the future. I'm so glad I have had a chance to be present at this coup. I used to believe in democracy (silly me). Now I am a "coup person".

May I change my avatar to "Coup Anteater"?

• Like 2

With hotel occupancy so low have the smarter hotels started offering generous discounts, or have prices remained the same?

Thai logic dictates an increase in price to cover the losses.

I just wish to say that I love everything about this coup. I love the coup leaders, I love their supporters such as Scamper and djamie on this forum. The coup is a wonderful thing. I now realise that democracy in the west was a foolish illusion. We all need to promote coups and army takeovers. Whenever I visit the western world, now that I have come to this realisation, I will be promoting coups.

Sorry moderators if I'm not sufficiently enthusiastic. Here's a bit more to indicate my undying love for coups:

Lovely lovely coups. Promote them, advocate them. Coups are the way forward. Democracy is finished: democracy is the "old way". Coups are the future. I'm so glad I have had a chance to be present at this coup. I used to believe in democracy (silly me). Now I am a "coup person".

Military rules is far better then democracy,, just look at how few protests there are in North Korea

I would be very suprised if the Curfew does not end soon. Within a few days.

The military junta can play the "look we allow you to go out" as a trump card. And not playing it will be held against them,, so alot of incentive to play it soon.

Thailand - the location of the bawdy Hollywood movie "The Hangover: Part II".

Sigh....Why do I feel like puking when i read this lame byline which seems to appear in every tourism related article about Thailand nowadays.

We saw a fair few tourists (Westerners anyway) and they seemed to be having a real hoot playing Foreign Correspondent on their social media accounts.

Ofcourse, normal people can still have a great time in Thailand right now.

I just have an allergic reaction to the bs that the military controlled media is spewing out, makes me wanna puke, and laugh. Laughing alot today :D

In the UK after leaving Bangkok on Thursday. Will be back home in Bangkok in another two weeks. The military will slowly ramp up the pressure and that's when the real trouble will sadly start.

The real trouble will start if and when the red-shirts start their moves.. It could be tomorrow or in 6 months,, depending on how long it takes for them to get organized.

The army has allegedly warned protesters that today is the last day protesting will be tolerated.

hahaha reminds me of when Suthep kept calling out the final protest, I wonder if the military too will postpone the "last day" 12 times biggrin.png

It's even funnier than I first realized,, The army is saying that protesting WAS TOLERATED until Today,, that when they first said protests was not tolerated, was just a joke? hahahahahahhahahha

Edited by hobz

Some hotels are offering cheaper rates, but not drastic.

I just booked a flight for tomorrow and the airfare was actually a bit more than normal. I'll tell you how full it was tomorrow.

Historically, there seems to be a tendency to increase prices in hard times, but perhaps they're smarter now?

8 years ago the coup was very low impact, as far as coups go, and this one looks similar.

However, the last one did nothing to resolve the problem. This one I think is different and I believe there is a definite agenda and 'milestones' for orderly handover to the normal democratic process again. Thailand faces some huge changes over the next few years, and perhaps this is the only way to navigate them successfully, though everyone's definition of success is different.

I'm constantly astonished at the lack of decent journalism, particularly in Thailand, by the big news agencies. The BBC has had people based in BKK for many years yet seem to understand virtually nothing about what is going on - perhaps now there's a curfew they may venture out from the bar! Unfortunately, governments around the world have blind devotion to democracy and are informed by news agencies and others with equally warped views of the world. My hope is that Thailand will be given sufficient 'space' to resolve it's issues without being harrassed into reinstatement of democracy too early (and I hope that the military have plan for how they will go about it!)

• Like 2

The army has allegedly warned protesters that today is the last day protesting will be tolerated.

hahaha reminds me of when Suthep kept calling out the final protest, I wonder if the military too will postpone the "last day" 12 times :D

Quip if you will but they have so far been anything but indecisive or slow to act. Edited by wellred

hahaha reminds me of when Suthep kept calling out the final protest, I wonder if the military too will postpone the "last day" 12 times biggrin.png

Quip if you will but they have so far been anything but indecisive or slow to act.

Except that they said the first day of the coup that gatherings of 5 people would not be allowed, and then they allowed it anyway.. :)

Quip if you will but they have so far been anything but indecisive or slow to act.

Except that they said the first day of the coup that gatherings of 5 people would not be allowed, and then they allowed it anyway.. :)

They were probably just testing the waters. Let see.

Except that they said the first day of the coup that gatherings of 5 people would not be allowed, and then they allowed it anyway.. smile.png

When im fast and decisive i dont test the waters, you just contradicted your statement smile.png

Except that they said the first day of the coup that gatherings of 5 people would not be allowed, and then they allowed it anyway.. smile.png

When im fast and decisive i dont test the waters, you just contradicted your statement smile.png

They had to be quick in the coup so that they didn't give anyone a chance to escape. Smacking people around is a different thing which they shouldn't be so quick to resort to. Use some common sense.

They had to be quick in the coup so that they didn't give anyone a chance to escape. Smacking people around is a different thing which they shouldn't be so quick to resort to. Use some common sense.

I never said what they SHOULD do.

Only saying that they allowed people to protest even though they said it would be against the law.

I think they should allow any peaceful protest. I think they should remove the "rule" that only 5 people can gather for political reasons.

I think they should disarm and arrest any violent protest.

I also think they should call out elections as soon as possible.

I think that they should eradicate corruption if possible.

*edit* Please read my words before telling me to use common sense, some people might get insulted by being told to "use common sense" .. It's common sense to use common sense, you don't need to say it smile.png

*Edit 2* I dont want to argue about it,, we both know what has happened, and ofcourse it's good that they didn't attack the protesters,, nobody wants bloodshed..., I was just reminded about the "final day" thing,, like Sutheps final protest, and my never ending "last time i eat unhealthy" or an alcoholics "last beer" .. biggrin.png

*Edit 3* empty threats and promises wont give you respect.

Edited by hobz

I never said what they SHOULD do.

Only saying that they allowed people to protest even though they said it would be against the law.

I think they should allow any peaceful protest. I think they should remove the "rule" that only 5 people can gather for political reasons.

I think they should disarm and arrest any violent protest.

I also think they should call out elections as soon as possible.

I think that they should eradicate corruption if possible.

*edit* Please read my words before telling me to use common sense, some people might get insulted by being told to "use common sense" .. It's common sense to use common sense, you don't need to say it smile.png

*Edit 2* I dont want to argue about it,, we both know what has happened, and ofcourse it's good that they didn't attack the protesters,, nobody wants bloodshed..., I was just reminded about the "final day" thing,, like Sutheps final protest, and my never ending "last time i eat unhealthy" or an alcoholics "last beer" .. :D

You talk too much lad. Taking a break from Thai visa may be in your interest. :-)

You talk too much lad. Taking a break from Thai visa may be in your interest. :-)

Agreed my friend :) I'm trying to see a movie actually, And I keep getting drawn in here,, I love arguing too much :)

Good night friend. We will laugh or cry about this discussion soon. Hope there's no bloodshed. And hope the curfew is lifted soon. And we must really hope that the corruption goes away.

Yes, coups are trending now.

Democracy is just soooo 20th century.