Farangs not yet made the grade to expats status.

ScotBkk

I always have enjoyed a good banter so Here is my 2 cents worth Firstly ATF has the right to do think and whatever pleases him but when defining a name or term get your facts straight please. An expatriate (expat or sometimes ex-pat) is a person temporarily or permanently residing in another country and culture other than their own. Now for any others You also have the to think and do as you please if it makes you happy . I may not agree with your opinion or belief but that is my right. In the end we all own that right, and must answer for our actions no matter how informed or misinformed we maybe.In closing to all be safe life is to short to waste.

SB I don't expect anyone to agree with my politically incorrect stance on life, but the legal definition of expat (for taxation and resident purposes) and the colloquial definitions are different. I agree life is short and it's getting shorter by the second!

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First and foremost, I would like to thank TV for allowing me to read the nonsensical garbage that is posted here on a daily basis without the requirement of logging in.

Secondly, I hope to see the majority of you burning in hell for making me fish out my login information for the sole purpose of responding to the idiocy that this topic has garnished. I would also like to add a special caveat: 'die, die in a fire'.

Thirdly, it was somewhat amusing at the start to read responses that were complete rubbish in regards to the OP, however it quickly turned into disgust. This must be due to the ever increasing 'I can't be bothered to read the whole post before responding' child's mentality that has become so common place here. In fact, some of you have publicly broadcast that in your responses to other thread as if it were glorified when, in fact, it should be vilified.

In closing, I would like to point out to you all that the number of TV posts you have, how many years you've been a TV member, how many trips you've taken to LOS, how many years you've lived in LOS, how many years you've been happily (or dysfunctionally) married, how many bar girls you've had sex with, etc, etc, ultimately add up to nothing of any value to anyone other than yourself, yet you seem to constantly throw these numbers around as if they add credibility to your own opinion. And let us be clear that your opinion is of no more or less value than anyone else's. What you and your ilk may fail to realize is that you have taken on the helms of a forum which was meant to share information, to pass constructive advice, to better the community, yet in the end this forum will die with you as you continue to alienate new members. That is your legacy - the failure to pass this information for all future generations who may follow in your footsteps.

And to those of you who do add good information to threads, pass constructive advice to newer people, who do better this community, let me say I'm sorry. I'm sorry that the valuable information you have to share, is being lost in a sea of malice, contempt, and rubbish.

First of all, outside of ScotBkk's head, there is no plot to push out any new posters.

TVF is a great place to find out new information and to share resources and the majority on this board will and do help out other posters.

If ScotBkk has been upset by another poster on another thread he should have dealt with it instead of opening a new thread full of hate and insults.

When I first read the OP I agreed in principle to the points but the way that he puts himself across (arrogant and superior) does not help his cause.

I did not reply to any of his earlier posts but when he started to get all arrogant and superior in post # 19 I felt that he needed to be reminded of the reason for his original posting.

As a reminder, in post # 19 ScotBkk states the following:

"I don't have time to sit about on my posterior all day writing comments dispersed into the unknown in cyberspace. I'm not an English Teacher either being over qualified to teach in this particular field that requires no intellectual know how (for some) or so it seems - to beget a job in Asia. I do wholly respect this institution nonetheless' suggest that some people have somehow managed to infiltrate the educational system teaching pupils nothing that would help them in the foreseeable future."

When I pointed out the irony in this post ScotBkk then tried to deny any double standards.

After that ScottBkk was fair game to have his true character exposed.

In short, ScotBkk thinks that he is far superior than anyone else on this board but his plan to show off this involved berating others for being haughty while acting in a pretentious and bumptious manner.

ScotBkk thinks that the world is his playground but as soon as he is put in his rightful place he then refuses to proceed with the argument that he has started.

If you read back on his posts in this thread and how he talks down to people/handles himself, you will see the real nature of this jumped up twot.

ex·pa·tri·ate
noun
eksˈpātrēit/
  1. 1.
    a person who lives outside their native country.
    "American expatriates in London"
adjective
eksˈpātrēit/
  1. 1.
    (of a person) living outside their native country.
    "expatriate writers and artists"
    synonyms: emigrant, living abroad, nonnative, foreign, émigré; More
verb
eksˈpātrēˌāt/
  1. 1.
    settle oneself abroad.
    "candidates should be willing to expatriate"
    So in reality ...the colloquial use of the word "Expat" is the same as the legal use of the word.
    Nit picking but if you are going to state something as "fact" may as well tell us the source unless of course its just your opinion

When reading many of the posts one has to assume a large portion of the people who reply with such vindictive comments and smart assed replies are generally posting while pissed. PWP appears to have evolved into an art form on this website and several of the most prolific posters must find this an available outlet to express their frustrations since their girlfriends or ladyboys keep them on a short leash.

There are good bits of information to be found here but much of the nonsense and smart ass replies seem to come from pussy whipped people who PWP.

Just my opinion but I could be wrong.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Soutpeel, on 26 May 2014 - 03:48, said:Quote
Jay1, on 25 May 2014 - 22:25, said:Quote

I remember chatting with a guy who I had the misfortune to work with..He had been in Thailand for years and years. I mentioned that at the weekend I was going to Khaosan Road. He looked at me in disdain and said "Khaosaon Road? It's just full of backpackers"

He beleived that he was now superior to those people. What a <deleted>.

I have had "English teachers" act all "superior" to me and even instructed me into how to be Thaier than Thai, thinking I was a tourist, but much hilarity was had when I enquired how long they had been in Thailand and they said 12 months and when they enquired as when I had arrived to commence my time as a two week millionaire in Thailand, I said 12 years ago, I work here for a MNC, and please go away you spotty little git...wink.png

Its the same as having to admit to an all-knowing "expat" that you have only visited Thailand half a dozen times as opposed to their twelve.

The difference is however the last visit was 17 years ago (all entry & exits on re-entries since then) and am still here. Not really worth mentioning details like that though...............wink.png

OP, what is the (your) benchmark to define your different classes of expat? I am honestly interested in knowing.

Unfortunately, there is no set definition. There those who care and those who don’t give a toss. I for one love having a blether and pint with expats unless they start rabbiting on about how cheap life is in Asia and like that. It’s also sickening when they seem to enforce there superiority about who they know and could call in a flash if there was a sign of trouble. All this is just a facade to try to gain your undying respect for these over the top egotists.

Live and let live is my motto.

Please understand, I’m not inferring everyone is the same. I’ve met and befriended many great guys in Thailand and we have some brilliant laughs and to me – that’s what life is all about – being Happy!!!

Incidentally, I feel honoured now I have a lt more support than I did earlier (am) and now the cutting remarks have peeled off considerably and suspect I've opened a Pandora's box now the <deleted> has hit the fan.

Thank you ALL

You made me think back to my experiences...when having a drink at an ex-pat bar...the first thing I am asked is ...how long you been in country...which has not been that long...then the look of...your opinion then...is not worthy of my time...how insulting to people who have not been in country for years...shows a lack of class and bad form...that is one of the reasons I do not frequent those kinds of places...let the smug...enjoy each others continuous BS...I do not need to be a member of the good ole boys club...to enjoy myself in Thailand...

First and foremost, I would like to thank TV for allowing me to read the nonsensical garbage that is posted here on a daily basis without the requirement of logging in.

Secondly, I hope to see the majority of you burning in hell for making me fish out my login information for the sole purpose of responding to the idiocy that this topic has garnished. I would also like to add a special caveat: 'die, die in a fire'.

Thirdly, it was somewhat amusing at the start to read responses that were complete rubbish in regards to the OP, however it quickly turned into disgust. This must be due to the ever increasing 'I can't be bothered to read the whole post before responding' child's mentality that has become so common place here. In fact, some of you have publicly broadcast that in your responses to other thread as if it were glorified when, in fact, it should be vilified.

In closing, I would like to point out to you all that the number of TV posts you have, how many years you've been a TV member, how many trips you've taken to LOS, how many years you've lived in LOS, how many years you've been happily (or dysfunctionally) married, how many bar girls you've had sex with, etc, etc, ultimately add up to nothing of any value to anyone other than yourself, yet you seem to constantly throw these numbers around as if they add credibility to your own opinion. And let us be clear that your opinion is of no more or less value than anyone else's. What you and your ilk may fail to realize is that you have taken on the helms of a forum which was meant to share information, to pass constructive advice, to better the community, yet in the end this forum will die with you as you continue to alienate new members. That is your legacy - the failure to pass this information for all future generations who may follow in your footsteps.

And to those of you who do add good information to threads, pass constructive advice to newer people, who do better this community, let me say I'm sorry. I'm sorry that the valuable information you have to share, is being lost in a sea of malice, contempt, and rubbish.

First of all, outside of ScotBkk's head, there is no plot to push out any new posters.

TVF is a great place to find out new information and to share resources and the majority on this board will and do help out other posters.

If ScotBkk has been upset by another poster on another thread he should have dealt with it instead of opening a new thread full of hate and insults.

When I first read the OP I agreed in principle to the points but the way that he puts himself across (arrogant and superior) does not help his cause.

I did not reply to any of his earlier posts but when he started to get all arrogant and superior in post # 19 I felt that he needed to be reminded of the reason for his original posting.

"I don't have time to sit about on my posterior all day writing comments dispersed into the unknown in cyberspace. I'm not an English Teacher either being over qualified to teach in this particular field that requires no intellectual know how (for some) or so it seems - to beget a job in Asia. I do wholly respect this institution nonetheless' suggest that some people have somehow managed to infiltrate the educational system teaching pupils nothing that would help them in the foreseeable future."

When I pointed out the irony in this post ScotBkk then tried to deny any double standards.

In short, ScotBkk thinks that he is far superior than anyone else on this board but his plan to show off this involved berating others for being haughty while acting in a pretentious and bumptious manner.

ScotBkk thinks that the world is his playground but as soon as he is put in his rightful place he then refuses to proceed with the argument that he has started.

If you read back on his posts in this thread and how he talks down to people/handles himself, you will see the real nature of this jumped up twot.

he may feel superior but his fractured syntax and poor grammar quickly exposed the truth

What is this – the Spanish inquisition?

I’ll make you an exception to the rule on my replying concerns.

Your cross – reference is quite appalling and amateurish. This is no longer a Blog/Forum more so an expat serial. I’ll bet, nobody’s had such a great laugh for ages in any other posts other than this one. Its people like YOU’ that keep it alive and kicking, now our avid readers read the posts, like one does watching a tennis match. Must all be bored now Oscar Pistorius is having psychiatric evaluation? Shame we can’t have the same treatment meted out to people like your kind self!!!!

Your cross – reference is quite appalling and amateurish. This is no longer a Blog/Forum more so an expat serial. I’ll bet, nobody’s had such a great laugh for ages in any other posts other than this one. Its people like YOU’ that keep it alive and kicking, now our avid readers read the posts, like one does watching a tennis match. Must all be bored now Oscar Pistorius is having psychiatric evaluation? Shame we can’t have the same treatment meted out to people like your kind self!!!!

youre right about everyone having a great laugh. and we thank you

• Like 1

ex·pa·tri·ate
noun
eksˈpātrēit/
  1. 1.
adjective
eksˈpātrēit/
  1. 1.
verb
eksˈpātrēˌāt/
  1. 1.
    settle oneself abroad.
    So in reality ...the colloquial use of the word "Expat" is the same as the legal use of the word.
    Nit picking but if you are going to state something as "fact" may as well tell us the source unless of course its just your opinion

The legal definition will be defined by the government from whichever country you hail from. To acquire expat or non-resident status from your country of birth there are tax advantages. To be eligible you will find my description covers most bases. A dictionary definition is not a legal definition, however it is usually the most commonly accepted understanding of the word. One thing I did forget to mention is that retirees are expats if they were expats before they retired.

Why did no one attempt to answer the OPs question until now?

• Like 1

ex·pa·tri·ate
noun
eksˈpātrēit/
  1. 1.
adjective
eksˈpātrēit/
  1. 1.
verb
eksˈpātrēˌāt/
  1. 1.
    settle oneself abroad.

The legal definition will be defined by the government from whichever country you hail from. To acquire expat or non-resident status from your country of birth there are tax advantages. To be eligible you will find my description covers most bases. A dictionary definition is not a legal definition, however it is usually the most commonly accepted understanding of the word. One thing I did forget to mention is that retirees are expats if they were expats before they retired.

why on earth would the "legal" definition as described by one country apply in this thread?

Having worked in the "legal field" for over 40 years I can tell you that in America the legal definition generally is the "dictionary definition". Now if you are referring to the tax implications.... in America you look at the IRS code in which if you have the majority of your residence being overseas you are considered a non-resident (ie an expat!) retiree or not.

Guessing your from one of the High Tax countries of Europe and know nothing of US laws .....oh well ...as said before ...you have your opinion based on what you think you know .....and I have my opinion based on FACTS!w00t.gif

Edited by beachproperty
  • Like 1

Oh Scotty, If you are going to post your self promoting sludge on this board you need to get a thicker skin or grow a pair.

Scotty in reference to the learned Cockney post concerning the word Geyser or Geezer. Are you a hot gusher?

Ian, 48 years old so not an Old Geezer haha ... or maybe I am' cause my kids call me an old Nerd lol !!!

Scotty in reference to the learned Cockney post concerning the word Geyser or Geezer. Are you a hot gusher?

Ian, 48 years old so not an Old Geezer haha ... or maybe I am' cause my kids call me an old Nerd lol !!!

Even your kids do not like you? That is odd Edited by Pralaad

Having worked in the "legal field" for over 40 years I can tell you that in America the legal definition generally is the "dictionary definition". Now if you are referring to the tax implications.... in America you look at the IRS code in which if you have the majority of your residence being overseas you are considered a non-resident (ie an expat!) retiree or not.

Guessing your from one of the High Tax countries of Europe and know nothing of US laws .....oh well ...as said before ...you have your opinion based on what you think you know .....and I have my opinion based on FACTS!w00t.gif

This is exactly the reason I made a difference between legal and dictionary. I didn't see anything in the dictionary definition about having the majority of your residence overseas and every country's laws differ. Including the time you are allowed to stay in your country of legal nationality to maintain expat or non-resident status.

The dictionary definition of criminal would be someone who has been convicted of a crime. However the legal definition would be someone who has been convicted of a crime, but a criminal would cease to be a criminal in most countries after they have served their sentence.

• Like 1

This is exactly the reason I made a difference between legal and dictionary. I didn't see anything in the dictionary definition about having the majority of your residence overseas and every country's laws differ. Including the time you are allowed to stay in your country of legal nationality to maintain expat or non-resident status.

The dictionary definition of criminal would be someone who has been convicted of a crime. However the legal definition would be someone who has been convicted of a crime, but a criminal would cease to be a criminal in most countries after they have served their sentence.

And "round and round" we go....

You have stated...."One thing I did forget to mention is that retirees are expats if they were expats before they retired" AND this statement is EXACTLY why I responded....you are WRONGw00t.gif

A retiree or anyone else for that matter living in a foreign country is an expat! whether they were expats before, after or during..

And relating this to the topic.....We are ALL entitled to our opinions ....and your's just happens to be wrong ....in my opinion...of coursecheesy.gif

Edited by beachproperty
  • Like 1

Even your kids do not like you? That is odd

Talking about ODD Mr.Pralaad

You’ve pulled me out of semi-retirement

Is that your self-portrait in the profile picture? Reason I ask. You’re EXACTLY what I transcribed in my OP relating to Aliens not being – intelligent life forms. Your views and partners in rhyme, are pretty well versed in total BS from your seemingly displaced reprobates gang in your elite circus act.

Thus, trying one’s best to sound intellectual but from what I gather in your posts – very disillusioned, disturbed and in need of dire psychiatric evaluation. Especially, to up your medication bringing you on an even par with our real world. All this pathetic dribble makes you look even more pitiful. For your confidante’s to actually reply to other posters on definitions of expats, is nothing other than a despicable attempt at jumping on the TV bandwagon of this OP that has had so many viewers.

Please go back to your own Planet and get off ours !!!!

Please posters ignore my post to these idiots as I feel I'm letting the side down but don't like people talking about my children

Edited by ScotBkk

Please misplace your log in information again or better yet tell your mom how you feel.

Can not believe someone would actually post so much drivel in post and think he is adding or worth something

Pralaad, unlike yourself I have constructively added to this post in line with the intent of the OP, something that you have failed to do. You suggesting that my post is drivel demonstrates how far out of touch you are with the reality of the situation and unlike the character you have put on display on this thread, I don't require crowd validation and bashing to feel good about myself. Yes, maybe I shall misplace my log in information again so as to avoid future pretentiousness which you have clearly demonstrated in your post, but overall I am disinclined to acquiesce to your request. But if I do choose to speak with my mother in this regard I shall be sure to thank her for passing on, what seems to be, the genetic lottery ticket which allows me higher brain function and cognitive logic and reasoning which ultimately allows me to respond to posts I disagree with in a civil manner rather than telling others to misplace their log in information.

• Like 2

You have stated...."One thing I did forget to mention is that retirees are expats if they were expats before they retired" AND this statement is EXACTLY why I responded....you are WRONGw00t.gif

A retiree or anyone else for that matter living in a foreign country is an expat! whether they were expats before, after or during..

And relating this to the topic.....We are ALL entitled to our opinions ....and your's just happens to be wrong ....in my opinion...of coursecheesy.gif

Thanks for putting me straight. If I ever have the misfortune to go to court I'll waive my right to an attorney and just take my dictionary. And if the judge asks me why? I'll explain that a guy I met on a forum who worked in the "legal field" (never said lawyer) for over 40 years told me this was the best defense. Maybe the judge will send me for psychiatric evaluation and I'll get off on a psych plea. Could work.

I don't insult or try to talk down members of this forum whether they insult me or not but I believe you definitely fit the expat status that this thread was originally discussing. And I don't need stupid cartoon characters to do it. A true ExPat!

Thanks for putting me straight. If I ever have the misfortune to go to court I'll waive my right to an attorney and just take my dictionary. And if the judge asks me why? I'll explain that a guy I met on a forum who worked in the "legal field" (never said lawyer) for over 40 years told me this was the best defense. Maybe the judge will send me for psychiatric evaluation and I'll get off on a psych plea. Could work.

I don't insult or try to talk down members of this forum whether they insult me or not but I believe you definitely fit the expat status that this thread was originally discussing. And I don't need stupid cartoon characters to do it. A true ExPat!

And now...maybe ....just maybe ....you understand the point of the Topic.

You have just misquoted, misunderstood what I have said and used it to malign me! I NEVER said "a dictionary.......was the best defense". But if that is what your take is .....That is of course your opinion and again WRONG!w00t.gif

I never meant to insult you wub.png ...just pointed out where your opinion is wrong (or do you prefer "off base").and if I fit the profile of this OP so be it." I ams what I am, and that's all I am"

Edited by beachproperty

Please misplace your log in information again or better yet tell your mom how you feel.

Can not believe someone would actually post so much drivel in post and think he is adding or worth something

Pralaad, unlike yourself I have constructively added to this post in line with the intent of the OP, something that you have failed to do. You suggesting that my post is drivel demonstrates how far out of touch you are with the reality of the situation and unlike the character you have put on display on this thread, I don't require crowd validation and bashing to feel good about myself. Yes, maybe I shall misplace my log in information again so as to avoid future pretentiousness which you have clearly demonstrated in your post, but overall I am disinclined to acquiesce to your request. But if I do choose to speak with my mother in this regard I shall be sure to thank her for passing on, what seems to be, the genetic lottery ticket which allows me higher brain function and cognitive logic and reasoning which ultimately allows me to respond to posts I disagree with in a civil manner rather than telling others to misplace their log in information.

disinclined to aquiesce to your request? lol!

Even your kids do not like you? That is odd

Is that your self-portrait in the profile picture? Reason I ask. You’re EXACTLY what I transcribed in my OP relating to Aliens not being – intelligent life forms. Your views and partners in rhyme, are pretty well versed in total BS from your seemingly displaced reprobates gang in your elite circus act.

Thus, trying one’s best to sound intellectual but from what I gather in your posts – very disillusioned, disturbed and in need of dire psychiatric evaluation. Especially, to up your medication bringing you on an even par with our real world. All this pathetic dribble makes you look even more pitiful. For your confidante’s to actually reply to other posters on definitions of expats, is nothing other than a despicable attempt at jumping on the TV bandwagon of this OP that has had so many viewers.

Please go back to your own Planet and get off ours !!!!

Please posters ignore my post to these idiots as I feel I'm letting the side down but don't like people talking about my children

personal insults is the best you can do? best you stay in retirement.

In case you have not noticed you have been a source of entertainment for a number of posters, but not in a way you were hoping, more in a clown kind of way

You are using too many big words, i am sorry i seem to fall asleep after the first line. Do try to keep it short, its not a bed time story "blog"

Pralaad,

You've just got to be the DUMBEST person on tv. You already seen my age when you replied beforehand 'Dumbo' so how can I possibly be retired ........... You can't even get that right ..... DUH !!!!

You are using too many big words, i am sorry i seem to fall asleep after the first line. Do try to keep it short, its not a bed time story "blog"

I will politely bow out of this discussion as I refuse to sink to a level that is unbecoming simply for a retort. I do however appreciate your conjecture and advice and hope you and everyone else here has a most pleasant afternoon.

• Like 1

Pralaad,

You've just got to be the DUMBEST person on tv. You already seen my age when you replied beforehand 'Dumbo' so how can I possibly be retired ........... You can't even get that right ..... DUH !!!!

I realize reading could be your handicap, so let me quote for you what you said. You really are a clown, Keep it coming

Edited by Pralaad

I will politely bow out of this discussion as I refuse to sink to a level that is unbecoming simply for a retort. I do however appreciate your conjecture and advice and hope you and everyone else here has a most pleasant afternoon.

Thank you very big,Let see how long it takes the other clownwhistling.gif

peterb17, on 25 May 2014 - 23:07, said:

Unfortunately as Scotland gains its independence ( which it might) , the inhabitants will no longer be a member of a G7 country - so 15 days max.

Otherwise really did not have a clue as to what you were on about.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Opps.

Only if you HAVE to change your Passport. facepalm.gif

Win thumbsup.gif