Spirit Houses and Medallions

ChiangMike

Hi, first off if these have nothing to do with Buddhism apologies, I honestly don't know - but wasn't sure which forum to stick this in and was leery of the general area. :)

I find both phenomena fascinating, as they obviously have a sacred meaning/role with the majority of Thai folk I associate with. Have gotten varied responses from friends and these contradict each other.

Is anyone aware of reference material in print or even on the web (I couldn't find anything satisfactory) explaining these. Their meaning, usage, evolution etc. My understanding of spirit houses is that some are designed as a home to ancient spirits attached to the land while others on a higher level are shrines to specific entities. Any offering is good, but some spirit houses it's better to leave specific items - (e.g., eggs, bananas, Red Fanta [don't quite understand that one], etc.). In return you could get a blessing in luck, or finding a soul mate, or you just keep a spirit happy that's occupying that space. Is this accurate?

And the medallions I'm wholly ignorant of other than they are supposed to give the wearer special protection or abilities??

Anyway, it's actually been a challenge for me to get a definition or explanation of these things - so any input appreciated.

And once again, if this has no place in the Buddhism area I'll repost in general or request a Mod move, but am curious.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Wow! Think I had a whif of Christian fundamentalism in another poster's response. Your question is really interesting. If your going to live here, see this everywhere, you'd might as well understand it- rationally, not with "God said" adminishments.

I think it would be hard or find a single source for explaining your questions; I have the same ones. While of course not Buddhism, the locals hardly realize this. Syncretism: over time multiple competing beliefs incorporated other aspects of, say, animism, anscestor worship, previous practices where an amulet might be prepared by village shaman prior to young Johnny going on a long voyage.. I think amulets to ancestor houses, etc., have similar but vague local histories that insinuated into Buddhism; likewise, it can be seen many places where the Buddhism of long ago insinuated into Vishnu/Hindu practices. Under BTS by Central in BKK there is a Ganesh Shrine that speaks to the last point, as one example.

I will keep watching this post and hopefully someone can answer precisely because I thin it is really interesting. However, like you, I think I just surmise.

• Like 2

I've seen a few roadside dump sites around Chiang Mai, with piles of discarded "spirit houses." These were all of the cheaper plaster or plastic mass produced type. Was the shrine found to be ineffective, or was the property sold?

The amulets seem to be a lucrative industry here. Somebody somewhere stamps an image of a saint into clay, then enshrines it in a gold or silver case, and suddenly it's worth a lot of baht. It's rather fascinating to see the trade going on certain days near the Tesco at Kamthieng in Chiang Mai. There are whole magazines (unfortunately not in English) devoted to this trade. Wish I understood more about it.

Edited by camerata
Reply to deleted off-topic post edited out

The amulets usually portray a famous monk and the medallion will bring good luck or other blessings to the wearer. Google search: Thai Buddhist Amulets

The spirit houses are usually not a direct link to BUddhism. Instead they are the throwback to the ancient practice of animism. If you erect a building on an empty lot, you better put up an alterantive accomodation for the spirits of that field! Do a google search: Thai Spirit House or look up spirit house in Wikipedia.

BTW: Sorry for the religious screed above. Uncalled for.

Edited by Igor
  • Like 1

Spirit houses are supposed to provide an alternative location for any spirits who may be hanging around your property to live, instead of moving into your house. That's also why new houses are supposed to be occupied continously for three days after the ceremony where the monks bless your house. The spirits are also supposed to watch over and protect your home and business.

I don't know about other people's medallions or amulets, but mine protects me from crazy Thai drivers, and it allows me to fly.

• Like 2

I don't know about other people's medallions or amulets, but mine protects me from crazy Thai drivers, and it allows me to fly.

Wow! I did not know that. Do you have to flap your arms or is it more of a glide?

whistling.gif

• Like 1

for my understanding the ghost house placed in front of a house, office or shop is believed in Asia to keep out the bed spirit.

from my prospective as in Asia's home the kitchens are placed on the back side of the house maybe leaving some food especially sweet one in front of the house maybe keep ants far from the kitchen

In Europe, cathedrals have stone dragons and other scary animals to keep away the evil spirits.

Nowadays, we call it art.

In Europe, my grandmother used to wear holy medallions, containing bits of clothing worn by saints.

Nowadays, collectors pay big money for them.

Same same.

• Like 1

In Europe, cathedrals have stone dragons and other scary animals to keep away the evil spirits.

Nowadays, we call it art.

In Europe, my grandmother used to wear holy medallions, containing bits of clothing worn by saints.

Nowadays, collectors pay big money for them.

Same same.

Yeah. Lots of dragons and scary demons protecting temples here.

Had a lady friend visit me about three years ago. She asked about the amulets. I explained them to the best of my knowledge and she kind of snickered at the idea. Since I was hoping for some bedtime activities later, I didn't say anything about the St Christopher medal hanging arounf her neck.

Is anyone aware of reference material in print or even on the web (I couldn't find anything satisfactory) explaining these. Their meaning, usage, evolution etc. My understanding of spirit houses is that some are designed as a home to ancient spirits attached to the land while others on a higher level are shrines to specific entities. Any offering is good, but some spirit houses it's better to leave specific items - (e.g., eggs, bananas, Red Fanta [don't quite understand that one], etc.). In return you could get a blessing in luck, or finding a soul mate, or you just keep a spirit happy that's occupying that space. Is this accurate?

It's all covered in books such as Spiritual Abodes of Thailand and Thailand Spirits Among Us, both available locally.

And the medallions I'm wholly ignorant of other than they are supposed to give the wearer special protection or abilities??

Originally, there were votive tablets. In recent decades these morphed into Buddhist amulets worn mainly for protection. Later there were many amulets considered to bring good fortune in business, good luck in love, etc. And there are plenty of non-Buddhist amulets available too - Jatukam Ramathep, Ganesh, former kings, former monks, etc.

Remember I read an excellent article about it in Samui Holiday Magazine, found a link for you...

In Good Spirits
Understanding the Thai culture of spirit houses

http://www.samuiholiday.com/archives/samuiholidaymagazine-march2013/ingoodspirits.html

There is anothe article from Ciang Mai here...

The Thai Spirit House

Animism in Thailand

http://www.chiangmai-chiangrai.com/spirit_house.html

For an excellent, thorough and scholarly study of these matters, let me recommend "Buddhist Saints of the Forest and the Cult of Amulets" by the esteemed anthropologist Stanly Tambiah, one of the two greatest experts on Thailand within the academic tradition. It seems to me that most of those who post on this forum, though fine folks I'm sure, lack much real education or knowledge about true Thai culture and the spiritual beliefs that support and infuse it.

Thank you. Conducting a search for the above book with "PDF" or "download" added to the end of it brings up some other (also) related PDF material that is seemingly public domain and downloadable. I'll still try to find this book but there's a few other leads to help as well.

For an excellent, thorough and scholarly study of these matters, let me recommend "Buddhist Saints of the Forest and the Cult of Amulets" by the esteemed anthropologist Stanly Tambiah, one of the two greatest experts on Thailand within the academic tradition. It seems to me that most of those who post on this forum, though fine folks I'm sure, lack much real education or knowledge about true Thai culture and the spiritual beliefs that support and infuse it.

Thank you. Conducting a search for the above book with "PDF" or "download" added to the end of it brings up some other (also) related PDF material that is seemingly public domain and downloadable. I'll still try to find this book but there's a few other leads to help as well.

Want to second the thanks and extend it to all the responses and links, have been reading up this morning - good stuff. Always been fascinated by what people attach a sacred meaning to, it's just... interesting. Was surprised to find there's a lot more material out there than I found prior, need to brush up on my search queries.

Possibly more to come as questions develop. I started to 'like' all of the posts as they were helpful but in the process figured that would be a bit corny to do in a thread I started, so I stopped, but serious -- thanks.

Ps. - Sorry I missed whatever the rant was. smile.png

Edited by ChiangMike

Thai Spirit Houses and Land Guardians – Lecture

tsc-featured-i.jpg

⊆†⊇

SPIRIT HOUSE CONNECTION

talk on Thai Spirit Houses and local customs

with Marisa Cranfill

at the Neilson Hays Library

Monday 16th June, 2014

Overview

We are joined in Bangkok by Marisa Cranfill – who is one of very few Westerners who is an expert on the topic of Thai Spirit Houses.

You have seen these little palaces everywhere, from the simple to the ornate, with all kinds of offerings placed around them. What are they? What are the rituals? Is this some kind of animism? How does it tie with Buddhism?

• Event is at the Neilson Hays Library, near Chong Nongsi BTS Station.
  • 6:30-8:15 pm
  • Free of charge (donations to the Library)

http://www.littlebang.org/thai-spirit-houses-and-land-guardians-lecture/

• Like 2