Should the situation get worse where do we go?

Dub2dub

So,

GF and I are traveling this coming Saturday, we as many others are understandably concerned about the military action. Whilst my understanding is this is to protect the peace this will also impact our long haul trip fairly significantly.

Reading mixed opinions on whether the curfew is affecting the whole country, being ignored in certain locations etc. etc.

We're both confident to head to Thailand still, there is still a lot that can be done, and we can always find a hotel with a decent bar etc. should needs must..

However, should things get tighter/more restrictive we would be really tempted to head somewhere else, somewhere our insurance is valid and evenings are not cut short.

With many of you knowing this part of the world better than we do I was hoping from some advice?

Singapore? Bali? Vietnam? Laos? Cambodia etc. etc. we could only really afford to fly to one of those locations, but would you have any opinions?

We were heading Thailand for a 3 week round trip of the country, Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Phi Phi, Samui, Tao, etc. etc.

Opinions greatly welcomed.

I am in the same situation, only my flight is 2 weeks later. But I am personally very confident (also for your trip) that you should be able to fully enjoy it, just the curfew (if it would still be in effect) might shorten the evening entertainment (what ever this means for you and your GF).

However, if you are looking into options, you should talk with your travel agency / insurance company to see whether they would allow you to re-book to other places. I guess at present, they would most likely not refund anything, as the situation is really stable in Thailand

You might also want to look into a round-trip to the Philippines or to Indonesia (not only Bali). Been in both countries and there is a lot to see.

We flew into BKK yesterday.. Travelled across town and didn't see any sign of the army.

Couldn't tell you about the curfew as we left BKK the same day.

I can't see the curfew lasting too long as long as there isn't a huge increase in anti coup protests..!

Personally I wouldn't worry about it but everyone is different...

If it was me I think I would head to Cambodia. But I would consider going overland. Save your flight money in case you really get fed up somewhere and then use it to escape. Remember now is rainy season but still easy enough to travel overland to Cambodia and from there Vietnam or Laos.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

We are in chiang mai with gf. The soldiers coming up at the evening but nothing special. They are frendlly and dont want to hurt anyone. We are in the middle of 3 months travelling in thailand, and the life is going here like 1 month before. Anyway thailand is wonderful and the thais are really friendly. Bets luck to you.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Nobody can predict the future. Anything can happen. But right now, it's not really a big deal. Other than the curfew in certain areas. And that will end soon, hopefully.

We just got back from Koh Chang and the beaches were empty/hotel prices very low. No problem at all.

With that being said, things can change. Worst case, probably, you are inconvenienced for a few days.

• Like 1

How To Get out of here (to anywhere) would be a problem, if the situation gets worse.

Within 1-24 hours, airport and bus stations would be flooded with foreigners and locals, who want to escape.

How many people ? 500000 people ? 1 million? 5 million ?

Take the limited seats available on airplanes, limited buses who goes to a border,

private cars who will demand 5-10 times normal price for transportation

- to go anywhere, would be impossible a nightmare.

If I was able to get out, I would go anywhere they had a ticket ASAP. Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Philippines.

In that kind of situation, I doubt one have much options, just grab first seat available.

Most Thai people are tired of this situation, and only want peace and quiet.

Let's hope the situation doesn't get worse.

you are right!

How To Get out of here (to anywhere) would be a problem, if the situation gets worse.

Within 1-24 hours, airport and bus stations would be flooded with foreigners and locals, who want to escape.

Take the limited seats available on airplanes, limited buses who goes to a border,

If I was able to get out, I would go anywhere they had a ticket ASAP. Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Philippines.

In that kind of situation, I doubt one have much options, just grab first seat available.

Blimey, you need a couple of beers and a cuddle...................whistling.gif

You should come IMO.

The biggest problem is the curfew and it doesn't effect those who are going to stay in or near their hotel.

The roads are more quiet than ever, the beaches are less crowded too. (I'm in Phuket)

To me, it's a buyers market at this time.

But, if it's nightlife that you want to see, maybe go to Phillipines, Vietnam or Laos.

I think Singapore may be too expensive for your tastes.

Maybe skip Chiang Mai and limit your time in Bangkok.

Samui, Phi Phi, Tao should be fine. (any islands really)

Samui seems to be operating as normal.... except a few 7-11's are still closing at 10 pm facepalm.gif I think most people can survive that.....whistling.gif

as for the "Dooms Day Preppers" .... probably best to stay at home in your rocking chairs..... and miss out on everything! rolleyes.gif

Nothing has been reported on world news services for a couple of days now.... it is not that bad!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Blimey, you need a couple of beers and a cuddle................... alt=whistling.gif>

Or alternatively grow some cojones and put living under a military coup on your CV

• Like 1

Nobody can predict the future. Anything can happen. But right now, it's not really a big deal. Other than the curfew in certain areas. And that will end soon, hopefully.

We just got back from Koh Chang and the beaches were empty/hotel prices very low. No problem at all.

With that being said, things can change. Worst case, probably, you are inconvenienced for a few days.

Did you find the very low hotel prices in Koh Chang by pre booking on the net,

or by just turning up and looking for yourself?

Just today the curfew has been lightened.

It is now from 01:00 till 04:00 in the night.

Not really disturbing, is it?

As for the military presence, generally sporadic and friendly.

Where was this announced?

We live on Koh Chang and apart from what we see on TV and 7/11 , tesco closing early we wouldn't know there was a coup going on . Every thing is normal apart from the lack of tourists , it's probably the best time to visit as prices for hotels ect have dropped by half or more . Don't pre- book just turn up and go barter for your room will get it much cheaper . If trouble does happen it is only an hour and half from Hat Lek the border into Cambodia .

Hello,

Continue with your Thai trip.

Be careful like you would in any strange country.

I am US and have lived here mostly for 3 years, but US & BBC news is a mess and nothing near the truth.

Yes the Army is here and that is good news.

Don't miss Thailand because of stupid news reports.

When you do see the Army take note of how many people stop by to give them food and water etc.

All Good.

• Like 2

We had 3 couples, 3 rooms. We booked well over a month ago to get rooms next to each other. But KC is very quiet right now. Perfect time to just go and negotiate. With that being said, you have to be ready to drive/walk around a bunch.

I found it very strange that hotels with many empty rooms are not negotiating much. But then again, I don't own a hotel! LOL

We had 3 couples, 3 rooms. We booked well over a month ago to get rooms next to each other. But KC is very quiet right now. Perfect time to just go and negotiate. With that being said, you have to be ready to drive/walk around a bunch.

I found it very strange that hotels with many empty rooms are not negotiating much. But then again, I don't own a hotel! LOL

Yes, let's take advantage of the chaos and try to negotiate our hotel room down a few bucks from the ridiculous low seasons rates. With that being said...stay home.

This above quote is factually pretty accurate but I only wish to temper it with some of the other observations. I don't believe things will turn that way- at all. My dear friend and her husband are coming next week and I actually think things will be better than ever as there will be less tourists, more competition, a marginal curfew it it remains at all, and a good deal of security.

Yes, one should always have a "go to hell" plan for if things go bad; but as a practical planning tool, I think tourists will be just fine.

Interesting responses here and critics.

I based my reply here on 14 yrs in the country, and talks with red shirts people. Based on that, I have a strong feeling that it's far from over. The reds are mad. Again their leader has been removed.

A few expats have bought ticket outta here the last days. And the remaining are talking about a back up plan these days. I rather enjoy my life in another country, until peace is reached here. Scenario I wrote above, is very possible if demonstrations continue and violence increase. Many International Editors seems to agree, the situation is very worrying. Only a fool turn a blind eye to this fact, and past history.

Future will show.

• Like 1

Just today the curfew has been lightened.

It is now from 01:00 till 04:00 in the night.

Not really disturbing, is it?

As for the military presence, generally sporadic and friendly.

Read your source more carefully hansnl. 00:01 is not as good as your 01:00 misread.

If it was me I think I would head to Cambodia. But I would consider going overland. Save your flight money in case you really get fed up somewhere and then use it to escape. Remember now is rainy season but still easy enough to travel overland to Cambodia and from there Vietnam or Laos.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Hmmm, with continued incidents related to conflict with China not sure Vietnam is a safer option.

When the yellow shirts took over the airport years ago I waited a few days and then had to make a decision.....

No flights were leaving from BKK so I took the Train to Hat Yai and a bus to KL......then got a flight......

so there are other ways , but at that time Thais had no reason to leave BKK , it was only Tourists that were stuck ,

But if "S" hits the fan , everyone including Thais will want to leave and that will be impossible ,

Best bet is have a few days food and water in your room and enough cash in Baht and US$ to get out , expecting ATMs to not work or be empty.

I doubt BKK will ever be Syria so that is not a problem and the last few times the trouble has been in only a few areas.

I would not really worry about it , but if you have to get back to work or else then you might want to plan your trip to give you an extra day or 2 at the end to get home.....

odds are 1000 to 1 that you will have any problems with the Coup.......

Nicely said..

I also like the selfies thing..Aloha

Don't agree with all this future scare posts. Having lived in Thailand for 23 years, I have seen several coups and corrupt politicians come and go. The actual situation is far better than the times when wannabe Fuhrer Suthep and his sheeple were terrorising the country. Many corrupt and rotten apples in politics, police, etc. have been sacked, and curfew also has been eased today. I see a much better future on the horizon for Thailand now and I believe there is no reason for not travelling around Thailand at all.

However, if you feel uncertain and unsecure, then all I can say is: Laos rocks! People there are very nice, great food, beautiful scenery, etc. - make sure you visit Luang Prabang and go to the big waterfall, but please don't forget to come back to Thailand, because the country can't afford many more spoiled seasons. We need stability and I believe this is exactly what Gen. Prayut and his "team" is trying to establish now. The nay sayers and scared ones are most certainly not even long term expats who have been living here long enough to know what they are talking about.

Have fun in Thailand and Laos!

Catweazle

Edited by KonaRain
  • Like 2

Yes, let's take advantage of the chaos and try to negotiate our hotel room down a few bucks from the ridiculous low seasons rates. With that being said...stay home.

Our hotels rate was only a bit lower as they don't really call this time of year low season. There was a "hot" sale on their website, so we took advantage. I stated at this property some 12 years ago when the rate was 1200B or so. They are now going for 3600B. Same room, no renovation, but right on the beach. We walked by sooooo many empty rooms. Only a few had guests.

If you don't have something constructive to say, please don't.