Left my card in an ATM. Any hope?

This evening I realised my ATM card was missing after a night out in BKK. My cash, phone and keys were untouched, and since I'm usually very careful with the contents of my pockets I suspect I left the card in a Kbank ATM around Sukhumvit soi 15, as I withdrew a little cash in a rush as my friends walked on ahead.

I called the issuing overseas bank who confirmed that no attempt has been made to use the card before putting a temporary block on it, then told me they can reactivate it if I find it within a week.

Has anyone ever lost a card to an ATM and managed to get it back? The ATM I used was on the outer wall of a Kbank branch rather than remote, and I'm wondering if they keep hold of retained cards or destroy them immediately.

• Like 1

Many (if not all) ATMs will retain a card that's been left in the exit slot for an extended period, so I echo the above, visit the bank (don't forget your passport), with luck they'll have the card.

Yes, forgot my card one time at an ATM out side of a Kasikorn Bank branch. Went inside and they opened the ATM and retrived my card. As others have said, take your passport with you smile.png

• Like 1

No luck :( The teller spoke no English but understood my problem with the help of Google Translate. She fetched a stack of retained cards, but mine was not among them. In any case she was very friendly, efficient and professional, so I guess that's something :P

• Like 1

You were very lucky cause in TH they can use your card without PIN to shopping if they have a mate in store.

So no-one bought TV, computer or tablet, this is a specially luck for you.

About your card. If you forget it in ATM there are 2 versions:

- if the next costumer comes within 3-5 minutes can find your card in card-gap and the ATM glints and tinkles as it can, so the next visitor will take the card,

- if no-one comes the mentioned time the ATM "eats" the card and you have to contact with Bank about how you can get return it. So you do call the costumer service, and tell them which ATM was used by your-self during the "accident".

Just read the final version.

Some-one has taken your card, first version has come.

You do take to have dinner the friendly nice girls who tried to help you thumbsup.gif but don't forget at home your smart phone for google ...

Edited by Loles

I think the truth is that it probably slipped out of my pocket at some point between the bank and arriving home (maybe in the cab). I guessed I'd left it in the ATM as I'm very careful with the contents of my pockets (I've never in my life lost so much as a 20 baht note, to my knowledge). After checking the bank I returned to the bar I visited on Suk 11, but they hadn't found it, so it likely slipped out of my pocket as I was fumbling for money in the cab. There were no charges on the card in the 24 hours between losing and cancelling it, so I guess I got lucky this time.

Left mine (SCB) in an ATM at MO Chit bus station, Realised I had left it and went back in about 30 sec, just about to grab it when the machine swallowed it.

Called the bank right away and they cancelled the card and told me to go in as soon as I could and they would issue a new card.

They know me at the bank so no problem.

I hope all works out for you, but I would like to say one thing, all the ATM's I use require you to remove your card before you get your cash and receipt....just an observation.

Every ATM I've used in Thailand, different banks, different branches, the money comes out then the card/receipt.

• Like 2

I had mine eaten by the machine once. I waited too long to retrieve it as wifey was taking to me and I forgot what I was doing. I called the bank with the location of the machine and its number and the representative told me vey clearly that it was their policy to not return cards, and that it was my own fault. This led to a more lively conversation. He did not budge. I explained it was on overseas card and the problems associated with getting a new card here. He just said it was my own fault. Yellow machine..Bank of Ayutthaya. What do you do?? Drive down with the tractor and "move" the machine?? It crossed my mind.

Why can they not set up ATM's in Thailand like in most of the world, i.e. card comes out first then the money? Easy to forget the card but I suspect most people would not forget the money.

As "canada" reported normal practice is the bank will not return the swallowed card. You have to block it and apply for new one. Anyway this is my experience from the two forgotten cards.

I was told that if you use an ATM outside of a bank, you can retrieve it next morning. This means: don't use horrible little boxes on Sukhumvit, don't go get money on a Friday evening. It cost me ฿4 000.- to cancel my old card, order a new one, and wait a week, anxiously, for it to arrive.

I left my card in a Kasikorn bank ATM once and realising this shortly afterwards I went in to the bank and told them what happened and a cashier came outside and unlocked the ATM, pulled it out like a drawer, and recovered my card. In the last year I have twice had to get replacement ATM cards from the KTB and not had any problems.

I hope all works out for you, but I would like to say one thing, all the ATM's I use require you to remove your card before you get your cash and receipt....just an observation.

Not in my experience with Bangkok Bank....you get the cash and then answer whether you want a receipt...then take the card.

Not in my experience with Bangkok Bank....you get the cash and then answer whether you want a receipt...then take the card.

To yourself, and also Tywais who posted earlier, I bow to your knowledge,wink.png I admit that due to skimming I very rarely use the Atm's now and with my short term memory loss cannot be 100% as to what happened last time I did use a Thai atm. I was talking about where I am presently situated. However, as someone else has already pointed out, it is about time Thai banks changed the order of operation in order to stop this common error. As a purely hypothetical question, I wonder how many Thais do it?whistling.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Every ATM I've used in Thailand, different banks, different branches, the money comes out then the card/receipt.

Yep. Agreed. Never had the card first and then the money.

What ATM gives the card first and then the money?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes and me--- takes a bit of getting used to--don't know why it is done that way ?--even in little 'ol n.z the money will not be issued until the card is removed

Forgot mine once in a Mall atm outside the bank --went back to the bank within minutes--and was told it was the banks policy not to return -but destroy all overseas atm cards----- caused me a lot of grief facepalm.gif ---but I learned not to do that again

Yes, this confused me when I first came here - back in the UK I had done the opposite, left the cash poking out of the slot - had a guy chase me across Baker Street (Sherlock's old haunt) with a crisp new tenner I left in the NWB ATM once :) - honest people everywhere it seems. Had a guy in Big-C return a dropped 7-11 receipt that fell out of my wallet today :) (luckily it wasn't the cashier as they would probably have put it in to plastic bag before returning it)