CBR400RR Nc29-31 questions

sz1a

Hi,

I'm ready to buy a motorbike and have found a lot of 400ccs for under 100,000 baht and some ~1000ccs (GSXR without greenbook) for 115,000 and up.

Is the CBR400rr considered a decent bike? I heard from a friend that they are very expensive to maintain, break often and parts are hard to find. I sat on one today and plan to test drive one tomorrow.

Does anyone own one of these and want to share their experience?

What I'm looking for in a bike in no particular order is:

- Handling

- Torque

- Speed

- Comfort (long distance driving)

I do like the ER6N but find them uncomfortable for extended periods of use. I don't like touring bikes as I prefer responsive and quick throttle / handling. I need at least 400cc to be happy.

Does the CBR400 engine have enough oomph to keep up with Vtwins at a green light or do they live in the higher RPMs? I will mostly battle BKK traffic when I'm not going to places around the country. Could the CBR400RR be a good contender? I'd love saving the money compared to an ER6N for at least 160,000.

I believe a cbr400rr will cost way more in the long run. All parts will need to be imported. Not only imported but i assume imported from japan and unless you can read japanese seems it would be a big issue. I have a 600rr and although parts need to come from the usa there is a HUGE supply of cheap parts.

You will have a lot more riding time with a er6n and parts are available and cheap. They will almost always have the proper paperwork.

Yup 400's were beautiful & there are actually quite a few here

to buy but......................Remember they have 20+ years of riding on them

These were not grocery getter's so the riding was not soft

To make matters much much worse they have 20+ years of Thai kids wrenching on them

If you find one in a crate new old stock go for it wink.png

I know how you feel though & have lusted after them many many times.

One thing they are quite good at here is making them look cosmetically good.

But look deeper & hold your breath

PS: if your dead set on finding one

http://www.400clubthailand.com/

Edited by mania
  • Like 2

-Parts are not easy to find ad sure not cheap.

-Mostly these bikes are tired plus abused and wrenched a lot of times over 20 years.

-Constant visits to mechanics.

Better save some more money or finance and go for new honda cb/cbr650f at 300 k or some second hand cbr600rs etc.

if you are serious on it, you have to spare around another 100 k to make it nice.

Edited by ll2

The guy that I am talking to said it wasn't in great condition when he got it and he already dropped a lot of money on it. Has the books etc but will make sure everything adds up. He's selling it because its too uncomfortable for him and can't take passengers easily.

Is there anything in particular I should look for when I test ride it? Assuming money was just thrown on it, how long does it go between visits to the mechanic on these? I'm into traveling so I wouldn't want something that has to stay in bangkok. That bike is good looking Joe.

The guy that I am talking to said it wasn't in great condition when he got it and he already dropped a lot of money on it. Has the books etc but will make sure everything adds up. He's selling it because its too uncomfortable for him and can't take passengers easily.

Is there anything in particular I should look for when I test ride it? Assuming money was just thrown on it, how long does it go between visits to the mechanic on these? I'm into traveling so I wouldn't want something that has to stay in bangkok. That bike is good looking Joe.

that, you cannot know. And looks of a bike mean nothing. Inner beauty is more important:)

if you are into travelling, a 25 years old sport bike is not a very good option.

and you can check suspensions, brakes, tires, sprockets, chain, oil and throttle application. Rev the bike until the redline many times to see if there are any flat spots.

Also carb synchronization has to be right but dont know how to check it. Ideally a compression test will be good if you can do one.

if previous owner paid a lot, all these have to be nice.

Its not a matter of how long the thing is different things happen at different time. Lets say today you need caliper seals. Locate and order and install your bike will be down 3 weeks. Then you find out you need a map sensor the next week. Bike down again another two weeks. You can see where this is going. I looked at the 400s and parts were way harder to find then the 600 rr.

Of course if using the wrong parts doesnt bother you then you can patch the thai way.....

Post some pics of the bike please.

Here comes some pics and description:

Honda CBR400rr NC29, '92
- Fairings CBR1000
- exhaust Akrapovic
- Foot Yoshimura
- Tire Shinko RR + Chain DID + Sprocket Honda Japan (using only 3 months).

that, you cannot know. And looks of a bike mean nothing. Inner beauty is more important:)

if you are into travelling, a 25 years old sport bike is not a very good option.

and you can check suspensions, brakes, tires, sprockets, chain, oil and throttle application. Rev the bike until the redline many times to see if there are any flat spots.

Also carb synchronization has to be right but dont know how to check it. Ideally a compression test will be good if you can do one.

if previous owner paid a lot, all these have to be nice.

When you say redline the bike many times, do you mean at standstill? Is that okay to do with motorcycle engines? Cars shouldn't be redlined at standstill preferably.

post-178608-0-22028000-1401261333_thumb.

post-178608-0-02196000-1401261345_thumb.

post-178608-0-02952600-1401261353_thumb.

post-178608-0-95242500-1401261361_thumb.

post-178608-0-58149800-1401261370_thumb.

post-178608-0-52782600-1401261380_thumb.

post-178608-0-37179800-1401261389_thumb.

post-178608-0-29701300-1401261397_thumb.

post-178608-0-51997200-1401261408_thumb.

Edited by sz1a
  • Like 1

Do you have to always carry a block of wood when you park? Ok j/k....You kmow the original fairings are very important to the value of the bike...

I am sorry to say No way would i even waste my time seeing that bike in person. Its what we call a abortion unfortunately :( again only my opinion. Looks like it needs to be stripped and all oem parts sourced. From fairing stays to kickstand or dog bone links etc

That conversion to cbr1000 fairings seems very popular with

the 400 crowd. Many do it

I would rather they pop for the originals or an exact copy from someone like Tyga

OP its all good & dependent on how much you like to wrench

& also if you do your own wrenching etc.

Every one of these I looked at....every nut & bolt looked like it would be

hard to get off. Which is to be expected after 20 years

in this climate. Not something I would want to get into but if I had a large

garage/workspace & the $$$ it may be a fun full restoration project.

Gawd only knows in the end how much it would take in $$$$

But make no mistake no matter how nice they look on the outside they

are pretty much all a restoration project. Folks like Tyga know a lot about these

& that would be one place to look for parts etc.

Also some places in Japan but in the end?

More of a project than a buy & ride in pretty much all cases I have seen.

Also search this forum there were a few owners here

One was Karlos who had a nice one

Good Luck

• Like 1

Here comes some pics and description:

Honda CBR400rr NC29, '92

- Fairings CBR1000

- exhaust Akrapovic

- Foot Yoshimura

- Tire Shinko RR + Chain DID + Sprocket Honda Japan (using only 3 months).

Seems not even the rear brake is original. Just look at the funny loop of the brake line. I would consider this not only a waste of time and money but also dangerous to ride with imo.

Dude don't wate money on a nightmare. I too wanted a 2008 Honda cb super 4 400 295,000 baht semi legal. All papers but on close inspection they would be able to tell the bike was an re- assembled bike with a close but not the exact Green book. Very expensive to get parts here. Most need to be imported. OK if you don't mind paying 300% for the customs duties & tax on an older bike that you could pick up parts for dirt cheap in any country other than Thailand. All the guys on this forum have had these type of bikes & know someone that has gotten the shaftola when purchacing these rides.

The 650 Kawi will blow the doors off the 400 get better mileage have fuel injection & all todays latest technology. I wound up buying a 2011 in the end of 2012 & modified it with risers on the bars so I can pull back the bars to make the bike more comfortable for long trips. There is so much you can do with either the ER6N-ER6F or the Ninja 650's. & the best part 100% legal require little work . Mostly your incremental servicing.

- Handling Way way better than any of the 400's ABS on most Kawi 650's
- Torque tons more off the line & a 400 will just see the tail lights getting dimmer when it gets shifted to 3rd gear.
- Speed 210 kph is that enough?
- Comfort (long distance driving) Any bike has a rough seat short of a touring BMW- Goldwing -Voyager etc. Invest in a gel pad from propad in the U.S. $50.00 + shipping duties & tax ......Money well spent (Did this myself) Have a competant shop reshape the seat.Get a thrrottlemeister cruise control . Pricey $130.00
This will take some of the heavy snapback on the throttle. You don't need to peg it. I use it just to cut the snapback by 60% very comfortable. Last get some foam grips $13.00 in the U.S. next to my 1000,1100 Both Kawi's) & my Goldwing damn near as comfortable. The only thing with the 650 is the weight distribution is heavier on the top due to a 2 cyl. oppose to a 4.

When you way the differences for what your looking for either the Honda range 500 & up or the 650 Kawi. You can get a LEGAL 2010 ER6n for as low as 160,000

advertised recently.And when you sell it people are waiting in line instead of being scared to death they are getting taken or will have problems with the green book- passing emissions or maybe finding the bike like Nomad has said the book is not registered to the bike & you lose & pay out the nose. My 650 is nimble. I am able to go inbetween traffic in Pattaya the same as the Yamaha Nuovo I had. This one is a no brainer for you.Once your used to the 650 you will be so glad in the long run that you bought right.And don't get me wrong I have had a 1000 & a 1300 cc. superfour in the states. They are great bikes. But the 400 in Thailand is a dog with fleas here. I roll threw most checkpoints as the cops know the newer bikes are legal. I see the 400 Hondas & Bandits getting yanked over every time.

Good luck on whatever you chose.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the replies. When you guys say that parts are expensive, how much are we talking on average? Something like 50,000 per year in maintenance?

My reasoning for getting something like this was that I'll pay 70,000 and can afford to service it if needed. However, getting an ER6N for 160,000 is a bit of an investment. I am paying cash, that's why.

I'll take a look nevertheless but won't jump the gun today. But a test ride never hurts.. Feels like I'm playing with fire..

EDIT: Regarding not being original, I don't have a problem with that as long as the upgrades are performance parts and not cheap knock-offs. Fairing look better than OG too, in my opinion.

Edited by sz1a
  • Like 1

..The 650 Kawi will blow the doors off the 400 ..

I agree 100% with your entire post but for this bit. Maybe my NC29 had some mod's I wasn't aware of, but the thing simply screamed. I never had any of my Ninja 650's at the same time I had my NC29 but they sure seemed comparable in power. Obviously the NC29 is designed much more like a full sport bike thus totally different handling than the EX650's, which are fairly upright seated sport tourers. (Sport bars on the Ninja 650 are a must if you come from a sport bike background.) Riding with stock bars it feels like a Versys to me.

I'd love a NC30 as a second/third/fourth bike to work on in my spare time, with the occasional blast at the weekend. No worries if it's out of action for 6 weeks (which it will be). The safety aspect of the bike would still concern me though to be honest.

If you're using this as your main mode of transport and (even worse) plan to tour on it then I would forget it.

If you're ok putting down 100k up front plus 50k a year on maintenance then why not get a cb650f on finance? Brand new, totally reliable, spares available, much more power etc.

I'm on a student visa so I didn't even think I could get financed in my name? I don't have a Thai girlfriend and don't want one either. If someone finances me I'd get a brand new bike in an instant.

I just saw the bike and I could probably get the price down to 70,000 (its advertised at 85). The green book matches up with everything and the current farang owner (nice guy) is the second owner. Green book is in his name, frame # matches, no Honda wave 1 cylinder greenbook so everything checks out.

As far as maintenance goes, it has been serviced a lot at Dr Bike in Ladprao. Radiator for 1500, etc. He said they have a lot of spare parts. I don't care about after market but I don't want an AutoZone bike (shitty american aftermarket parts that constantly break). Not sure what type of parts Dr Bike has.

The things he has replaced are:

• Fuel pump
  • Radiator
  • Rubber things in the rear wheel rim
  • Front dampers
  • Chain, sprocket
  • Others here and there

The carburetor needs cleaning which the buyer would have to do.

I didn't get to ride it but could tomorrow. At this point however I just feel like its an old bike in general. And I had enough of owning old vehicles.. So I'm on the fence, unless it's a real monster on the road.

I agree with most of the posters here.... walk away from it, just looked at the pics and it just doesn't look right.

Second owner??? mayby on the current green book........ofcourse the seller is a nice guy, he wants to sell it.

I once bought an NSR150 from a nice guy, which was friendly enough to sum up all the things done/replaced on it, or better (what i found out later) which HAD to be replaced LOL

For someone with deep pockets and the knowledge/tools to work on the bike mayby nice "project" but for someone who wants a bike to ride and travel around, there are better choices around, even on a tight budget ( Ninja 250)

Good luck deciding.

• Like 1

As great as these bikes are (or were), sound and look, I wouldn't touch a used one here with a stick.

Likely to have car parts in them, truck parts in them, even scooter parts in them.

Have a zero km one in a crate from the back of an old shop, I'd buy it in a second. :)

I agree with most of the posters here.... walk away from it, just looked at the pics and it just doesn't look right.

Second owner??? mayby on the current green book........ofcourse the seller is a nice guy, he wants to sell it.

I once bought an NSR150 from a nice guy, which was friendly enough to sum up all the things done/replaced on it, or better (what i found out later) which HAD to be replaced LOL

For someone with deep pockets and the knowledge/tools to work on the bike mayby nice "project" but for someone who wants a bike to ride and travel around, there are better choices around, even on a tight budget ( Ninja 250)

Good luck deciding.

Yes, that's true. For the same money you can get an 08/09 or 2010 ninja 250.

If it isn't for a long term fix it up project than the baby ninja is the much better option than an old Honda with scooter parts in the engine. :)

If you can't afford the 650 or a Honda 500 get your 250 or 300 or a scooter. You will find yourself paying much more in the long run if you purchace the 400 & I love the super 4's but in LOS it is a losing proposition. Maybe as others said as a second bike. By the way those carbs may turn out to be an absolute nightmare. All that work done & he didn't pull off the carbs & have them cleaned out. Like Yankke posted. Something smells rotten in Denmark. I think the owner knows they may need replacement or extensive work & isn't telling you the whole story. For 100,000 you may be able to find a chopper style bike(Don't get an anchient Honda phantom)

I myself would steer clear of the 400. You are in the wrong country for it & will find yourself walking down the road talkin to yourself. Save up buy a good ride. It is surprising how quick you can pull straws when you really want something. It only took me 3 weeks to put together an extra $3000.00 for my 1000 Kawi LTD in 83 it was 2 years old when I got it.You don't wan't the agony of defeat do you?

Get a used ninja 250, mod it with full pipe, ecu and air filter and pirelli tires. Total, probably around 90k baht for the bike and mods.

Then keep that until you can afford a used CBR650. Presuming you want an inline 4.

Or perhaps one of the inline 4 Benelli if you're brave.

• Like 2

Don't do it! It will cost you shit loads to keep on the road. I know from experience (a cbr250 mc19) get a Kawasaki ninja 250 for a similar price and just enjoy the riding!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I decided not to get it because of the carb issue and because of the owners unwillingness to let me ride it on the street in fear of being robbed. Most of all though, when he came riding in for our meeting my first impression was unimpressed. Bike looked old and battered. I spent more time checking out the Z800 next to us.

Will save some more money and ponder more. Maybe get a 250 Dtracker for the ability to go anywhere or bigger bike plus scooter. If I get a 250 I'll look into pistons and getting the cc up, full exhaust etc. Will also inquire about financing.

• Like 1