Home theatre hook-up

surfinglife

I have a new smart TV and an old home theatre with surround sound system. The TV sound check shows that the surround sound speakers are connected but the speakers don't work when the TV is on. Some (not all) speakers work with DVD.

Is the a service centre in Pattaya I could get to look at the set-up, fix if possible or recommend what I need to upgrade to get the system to work properly?

Check to see if the input TV signal going into your surround system is in STEREO if its in MONO then the surround amp will not process the signal hence no sound. When you use your DVD the signal will be in STEREO hence the sound!

I had the same issues some years back with an old pioneer all in one surround system. How to rectify this, get a SAT decoder which inputs stereo TV signals or look into some new surround sound processors with the latest technologies on board. Option one is the best option as you need a stereo source for proper surround sound!

Good luck

IW

I am NOT an expert in the subject; but I believe that true Surround Sound only works when the program being watched was recorded for Surround Sound. I have a similar home theater setup; and, like you, I only get sound through the two front stereo speakers, despite the fact that the light for the rear speakers indicates that they are on.

1) run all external devices that contain audio / video (if it can take it) to your receiver - not sure what you have but if it has hdmi input / outputs great.

if not run the white and red cables from your dvd / cable box etc to your receiver (this takes care of the audio). run the video (yellow) to the tv.

2) set tv audio to external

this will allow you to only hear audio from your stereo.

if you wish to hear audio through your tv as well, then you need to run red and whites from your receiver to your tv as well. Then switch audio to tv (from external) when you want to listen to the tv and not the stereo. Never saw a reason to do this.

there is another alternative which is to run your sources (dvd etc) into your tv and then back out to your receiver. Never liked that option personally.

Easiest option if you have it is below:

Hdmi cables from dvd / cable box etc to your receiver - and one from your receiver out to your tv.

• Like 1

I would try Numchai.

That's what I thought but after they set mine up with all the speakers wired incorrectly I now think twice before recommending them.

My Panasonic TV has an "audio out" female plug into which I stick a stereo plug with cable and run the sound to my Panasonic DVD player/speaker system's "audio in." The speaker system consists of a bass, two midrange speakers and two "tweeter" speakers. I can get sound out of the TV at same time (I think) but always switch the sound to "external only."

I was about to head to Numchai...now having second thoughts...and none the wiser with all these " stick it here, plug in red " type explanations:)

Haha its not rocket science mate

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I was about to head to Numchai...now having second thoughts...and none the wiser with all these " stick it here, plug in red " type explanations:)

You are making this unnecessarily complicated. Maybe attach a picture of the back of your home theater system? Keep in mind you have a new TV with builtin surround speakers and you must decide who is going to be the master and the slave (as a figure of speech), the TV or the home theater. Many people use the TV as a video monitor and only use the speakers of their ht(like me).

Haha its not rocket science mate

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Dead right it isn't....rocket science is a lot easier:-)