Seafood

BigDamo

Hi guys its not long now until I arrive back in Pattaya and I am trying to plan some sort of itinerary!

Thanks btw for your help regarding an Indian restaurant!

In terms of Seafood I usually go to either the Lobster Pot or Sea Zone, both of which are on Walking Street!

Are they still both good? (Haven't been to Pattaya since 2011) Is either one now better than the other?

I always order Prawns and King Lobster and have found, in previous years these restaurants to be good value for money

Any thoughts / comments would be welcomed!

Cheers

D

Totally agree, for Tiger prawn and lobsters I haven't found better as all the Thai places that people will recommend you here are just for cheapish Thai who not pay 2000+ for a dish of lobster or giant tiger prawn,

These Thai places are not really cheaper and do not have as good choice as walking street restaurants.

there's a place (name escapes me) at the very end of Jomtien beach road that is very good / lots of turnover/ fair prices and busy with mostly Thais and farangs who know about it.

I am sure some of the people in the Pattaya forum know the name but you cannot miss it if you follow the road to the very end.

• Like 1

Totally agree, for Tiger prawn and lobsters I haven't found better as all the Thai places that people will recommend you here are just for cheapish Thai who not pay 2000+ for a dish of lobster or giant tiger prawn,

These Thai places are not really cheaper and do not have as good choice as walking street restaurants.

You need to get out more, you could not be further off if you tried!!

After years of living here and frequenting the seafood restos, i do not even consider walking street ones anymore as they are waaaaay overpriced and mediocre quality at best.

Head to Na Jomtien or Ban Amphur, but maybe not practical if the OP has no transport.

• Like 1

You are ridiculous.

Lobsters are t=sold the same price anywhere when restaurants outside walking street have them which is not often.

No restaurant outside walking street has giant tiger prawen (3 pieces for 1 kilo).

But I agree that to eat your somtam or disgusting oily namtokmoor you should go outside walking street...

Just out of curiosity, is there any actual difference in flavour between tiger prawns that are 3 to the kilo and tiger prawns that are 10 to the kilo? I suspect not.
I've seen the big ones for sale at about 700B/kilo in Rayong but I've never bothered buying them.

Personally I prefer places that do the smaller BBQ prawns on a buffet basis as I can just go back for as many hot ones as I want. Most of the big hotels in Pattaya do something like this in the evening at weekends (some do it every evening) and I think I've tried them all. The Montien saturday buffet (now closed for low season sad.png ) will also cook your prawns in a pan in the style you prefer, and of course they have a load of other stuff to try also including delicious seafood starters, salads, hot dishes, desserts and cheese.

I doubt I would get anything similar for 1000B in Walking Street.

Edited by KittenKong

there's a place (name escapes me) at the very end of Jomtien beach road that is very good / lots of turnover/ fair prices and busy with mostly Thais and farangs who know about it.

I am sure some of the people in the Pattaya forum know the name but you cannot miss it if you follow the road to the very end.

This is Pu Pen with the large crab sign outside.

I prefer this over Walking Street anyday.

I will no longer go to King Seafood since they charged me 300 Baht corkage (had been 20 Baht a couple of years earlier).

The benefit of the restaurant's location/ambience was completely killed by a high pitched khatoey prancing around, with flags of the world, encouraging tables to sing a long.

Like most places in Walking Street it is tacky, overrated and overpriced.

• Like 1

You are ridiculous.

Lobsters are t=sold the same price anywhere when restaurants outside walking street have them which is not often.

No restaurant outside walking street has giant tiger prawen (3 pieces for 1 kilo).

But I agree that to eat your somtam or disgusting oily namtokmoor you should go outside walking street...

Completely clueless! I feel sorry for you.

Why people who do not even know what they are talking about always open their mouth ?

You want to go this evening to every fuxxin restaurant around to understand that NOWHERE they sell giant tiger prawn that cost the same price as lobster but that are better ?

Go back to your market food stall eat your 60 baht shrimps, maybe this is what you know very well about.

Has anyone been over to the floating restaurants in the bay that are lite up like xmas trees?

Proper touristy gaffs I'm sure but are they any good for a night out?

I went there about a year ago with some friends, okay for the novelty factor for my friends that were on holiday but just the same as the walking street ones, waaay overpriced and mediocre food, nothing special, far better to be had at Na Jomtien, Ban Amphur, Bang Saray etc.

This is Pu Pen with the large crab sign outside.

If it as at the very end of Jomtien Beach Road, it would be Loong Sawai, not Poo Pen.

• Like 1

When I am in Pattaya I like to zone my nights out; so when I fancy a night on Walking street I like to mix it with a visit to either the Lobster Pot or Seazone! In all honesty over the past 15 years I have always found the food to be acceptable! Yes its more expensive than restaurants off the "beaten track" but surely thats to be expected??

In terms of the previous comment about small prawns being the same as large prawns; that can be likened to most things in life in that they may do the same job! But I always know what size I would choose!! ;-)

Been there a number of times--nice setting next to the ocean--clean toilets across the road-

Some baht buses from pattaya go the end-- if you get on one that doesn't-- cost 50 baht more to take you the rest of the way [last year]--best to ask when getting on --across the road at the Junction of Pattaya Thai & Second road

Can take a bit of time to get one back- I just keep strolling along and one eventually comes--if you are going back down second road --stay on back at the Junction-- as it might go down there anyway---- I always enjoy my visits there licklips.gif

Bucko

Having tried every sea food restaurant in Pattaya with the exception of Pu Pen(Crab not dead) at the end of Jomtien even they can fall down on their cooking sometimes, all I can say is they are at best pore and over priced. As others have said you have to get out if you can arrange a car or taxi the best one by far is Preecha take the first right at the traffic lights after Ambassador complex keep to the left and it come's up on the right.

All their sea food is swimming about in tanks not been left on ice for several days like the one's in walking street. Not cheap but the best never is. It's always full of Thai's must tell you something.

N/B don't eat on their beach tables as the lighting is pore a real bugger if you have fish as you cant see the bones.

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 2

Having tried every sea food restaurant in Pattaya with the exception of Pu Pen(Crab not dead) at the end of Jomtien even they can fall down on their cooking sometimes, all I can say is they are at best pore and over priced. As others have said you have to get out if you can arrange a car or taxi the best one by far is Preecha take the first right at the traffic lights after Ambassador complex keep to the left and it come's up on the right.

All their sea food is swimming about in tanks not been left on ice for several days like the one's in walking street. Not cheap but the best never is. It's always full of Thai's must tell you something.

N/B don't eat on their beach tables as the lighting is pore a real bugger if you have fish as you cant see the bones.

After one of your and others previous recs for Preecha I tried it with the gf a couple of weeks ago and was pretty disappointed. Nothing particularly wrong but nothing special either. Agree with you about Pu Pen.

For our tastes we prefer Bang Saray - the restaurant first on the right overlooking the water as you come into Bang Saray with the beach on your right (so turn of Suk before the main junction and go down the hill with the sharp left turn and not the main road off Suk). I can never remember it's name but the gf says Ton Han? In our experience this has also always been the best value however YMMV ;-)

• Like 1

After one of your and others previous recs for Preecha I tried it with the gf a couple of weeks ago and was pretty disappointed. Nothing particularly wrong but nothing special either. Agree with you about Pu Pen.

For our tastes we prefer Bang Saray - the restaurant first on the right overlooking the water as you come into Bang Saray with the beach on your right (so turn of Suk before the main junction and go down the hill with the sharp left turn and not the main road off Suk). I can never remember it's name but the gf says Ton Han? In our experience this has also always been the best value however YMMV ;-)

The OP said he wanted to eat lobster and prawns Preecha does those rather well the fresh crabs and clam's are also delish as far as other dishes go there are more than likely just as good restaurants about that suite peep's tastes. Have also eaten at Bang Saray and agree with you on the restaurant's there. Alas some can be hit and miss as well.

Tip once out of Pattaya where there are less Farang about I have always found it better to eat just after 8pm when the kitchen's are a tad less bizzy and have more time and less pressure.

The OP said he wanted to eat lobster and prawns Preecha does those rather well the fresh crabs and clam's are also delish as far as other dishes go there are more than likely just as good restaurants about that suite peep's tastes. Have also eaten at Bang Saray and agree with you on the restaurant's there. Alas some can be hit and miss as well.

Tip once out of Pattaya where there are less Farang about I have always found it better to eat just after 8pm when the kitchen's are a tad less bizzy and have more time and less pressure.

Been in Preecha few days ago.

Dinner for 7

Massive fish second smaller. Prehistoric crab. And lots of other foods.

Paid 3500THB

Fresh food.

By the beach

mataleo

This is the kind of useless post: I PREFER ?

Yes but why ? It was cheaper ? you are expert enough to say that food is better ?

I guess not, and this place is exactly as all the other Thai places.

People are dreaming that Preecha is cheaper but it is not, at least for seafood.

I thnk farang who live in Thailand forget to think and become just as the local, repeat useless things again and again...