opening a bar/ restaurant without knowing the basics?

Crazy chef 1

I know of several German menus which are so terrible that I can't believe it......Last time I was laughing till tears came out reading a menu.

What I don't understand: First Google is everyones friend.

Than you have your customer, when you see the next German students in your restaurant, you ask them for help....offer free food and drinks for reviewing it.

Make it 2-3 times to check if the results are the same. Minimal costs and everything will be right.

Or send it for a translation service: 2000 Baht?

Or copy it from your competitor.

• Like 1

in this case even the German menu made no sense.either messed up at the printing company or written fully hammered.

BTW some english food idioms are fairly hard to understand for Germans: kalbsbries= sweet bread?blutwurst= black sausage pudding?tafelspitz= rump cap....and vice versa

I know of several German menus which are so terrible that I can't believe it......Last time I was laughing till tears came out reading a menu.

Than you have your customer, when you see the next German students in your restaurant, you ask them for help....offer free food and drinks for reviewing it.

Make it 2-3 times to check if the results are the same. Minimal costs and everything will be right.

My pet peeve, and something I see all over Asia. Get a native speaker, pay the a couple of beer and it is alldone.

About the German food comment: you obviously never had good German food, there is a lot more to it than Schnitzel and Bratwurst.

• Like 2

My pet peeve, and something I see all over Asia. Get a native speaker, pay the a couple of beer and it is alldone.

About the German food comment: you obviously never had good German food, there is a lot more to it than Schnitzel and Bratwurst.

Like sourkraut,heard it was very popular in june 1966.

• Like 2

Where a lot of people starting out go wrong is by not correctly identifying their target customers. If the owner is say, German and the chef can do German food, great, go for it.

But you have to look further, how many Germans are in the area, how many people would like to try German food and how reliable is that base. You need alternate items on the menu, at least some Thai dishes.

And, as has been said, the biggest mistake of all is not having your menu proof read, with a translation in English (not German unless you are sure of your base) and Thai as a minimum.

(Only using German as an example, same applies for all countries)

• Like 2

I suspect this has very little to do with the Swiss man wanting a restaurant. His love-of-his-life, one day said I vant lesta-lant.

Love can even open Swiss bank vaults

Edited by Lucifer
  • Like 2

Restaurants in LOS are like Pattaya 'entertainment' girls.................they come and they go.

We're the fools with the fantasy that our [restaurants and girls] are not the same as others [that are mostly doomed to fail].

Making a restaurant profitable is tough anywhere in the world, yet for some reason so many people come to Thailand with no restaurant experience, sink their life savings into it, then are amazed when it fails. Margins on food are wafer thin, generally restaurants (in the US at least) make a good percentage of profit from the drinks they serve with the food. I'm not saying it can't be done, but without any previous experience it's a tough business at best

Edited by GinBoy2

A nice old story.

Long time ago I made a boat-trip on Nile in Egypt. The tour-leader gave to every-one menu and "how to use the boat-equipments" instruction in their own language. He was very proud of him-self he had many translations.

He asked me about my nationality. Answered, and the man was very happy, and started to push me to make an Argentine language translation to him. He was so pushy and disturbed me, cause I went for relax not for work free to an Arab pushy man.

I tried to explain him he had Spanish already. But my buddy was so pushy, pushy and more pushy, so I made it, something like that:

menu:

- marinated tail of mouse

- cat-eye steak

- camel tongue ice-cream

- fly urine beer

- monkey fingers with nails

- horseshoe soup with boiled dragon egg

- A/4 size sheet in basil-bed

how to use the boat:

- don't sleep in toilet

- please return the boat-key when you leave

- to marry in board it's absolutely forbidden

- kids are not allowed on board

- you keep your dog in your pocket

- we have a boat driving course for you, free of any charge

- you have to smoke in engine-house

So be careful with the helpful helpers, especially with the google translator.

Edited by Loles
  • Like 2

Making a restaurant profitable is tough anywhere in the world, yet for some reason so many people come to Thailand with no restaurant experience, sink their life savings into it, then are amazed when it fails. Margins on food are wafer thin, generally restaurants (in the US at least) make a good percentage of profit from the drinks they serve with the food. I'm not saying it can't be done, but without any previous experience it's a tough business at best

its because they think the women are considered easy, its a 3rd world country, so hard hard must it be to start a restaurant when uneducatd thais are running them apparently succesfully, when an educated farang could do far better

• Like 2

Very old but very true joke best way to earn a small fortune in Thailand is start with a big one particularly in the bar/restaurant business especially if you don't know what your doing. Good luck however I wish you well, probably not the wisest idea thoughcoffee1.gif