Racechip or Not

JAS21

Since blanking the EGR on my 3Ltr D-Max it feels so much smoother and more pleasant to drive, more responsive at low revs. On the downside it seems to be using more fuel, both around town and on longer runs, well according to the on-board computer anyway. I'm still awaiting confirming with Tankful to Tankful measurements. Anyway that's by and by.

I've been toying with fitting a Racechip, when I mentioned it to madam I got that 'what the hell for' look, I said "just a toy". Anyway I would be interested, preferably, in members experiences WHO USE OR HAVE USED a basic Racechip, especially on a pickup.

I've looked around the internet and there are various comments ... this one is worrying http://sjuut.dk/?RaceChip of course it may not be completely true.

So, anyone with experience please lets have them. Hopefully this won't end up as a weekend filler whistling.gif

Edited by JAS21

Read my topic "Cheap Diesel Performance", bundles of info there.

Still got mine on the Vigo, if I take it off I certainly notice the difference.

I did read a lot of it ... there is a lot.

I don't recollect seeing anyone mention EGT measurement. Is this picked up somewhere in the Engine Management System? Maybe there is not a problem with a low tune chip. Wish I understood how the fueling works ... air flow-fuel flow. I see many 'quick' pickups kicking out black smoke on hard acceleration ... their EGT must be somewhat elevated.

Oh, seems you forgot marriage rule #1: Don't ask to buy toys, just buy them then (optionally) announce the purchase.

Your wife does it to you all the time BTW ;)

As for the racechip, if you want more power, go for it. If you want more economy, having all that extra power on tap (which needs more fuel) doesn't seem to make mush sense though.

I have little idea how a diesel is fueled, but any diesel that is highly tuned way above it's cubic capacity will chuck out smoke on hard acceleration unless it's a Merc or high end ride.

It does not need to be a high end diesel vehicle,commonrails can be tuned to make HP and not chuck out smoke. A piggyback chip is not the way to tune them though. Our race pickups have triple the OEM HP and Torque and they do not smoke. if they were not restricted they would make even more power.

Edited by Spoonman

A friend of mine fits piggy back chips that can be activated at will. The job is messy at best and sometimes causes running problems. Check out the installers work before having one fitted.

I don't know what the young Thai dudes does with their lowered pick-ups, many of them have a very hard sound to them and goes like a rocket from standstill.

You also re-map your EFI/UCU system but don't know much about it but will investigate further.

Edit, I just found this: http://www.ecuthailand.com/faq.html

Edited by guzzi850m2

I don't know what the young Thai dudes does with their lowered pick-ups, many of them have a very hard sound to them and goes like a rocket from standstill.

You also re-map your EFI system but don't know much about it but will investigate further.

You might like to start by researching commonrail systems instead - Diesel's don't have EFI :P

You also re-map your EFI system but don't know much about it but will investigate further.

You might like to start by researching commonrail systems instead - Diesel's don't have EFI tongue.png

Thanks my man, I learned something today, not bad for a Sunday morning, eh.

It looks like re-mapping the ECU (correct, yes?) is better than fitting a chip, as you don't add/remove anything on the engine.

I think it cost app 19K baht for a 2.2 Ranger, that's include a full dyno test before and after.

You might like to start by researching commonrail systems instead - Diesel's don't have EFI tongue.png

Thanks my man, I learned something today, not bad for a Sunday morning, eh.

It looks like re-mapping the ECU (correct, yes?) is better than fitting a chip, as you don't add/remove anything on the engine.

I think it cost app 19K baht for a 2.2 Ranger, that's include a full dyno test before and after.

What power increase is expected for that 19k ?

Be careful if your Ranger is still under warranty because an ECU map might void your warranty.

What power increase is expected for that 19k ?

Be careful if your Ranger is still under warranty because an ECU map might void your warranty.

They say + 180 HP output after and toque up +100Nm, which is not bad.

I rather spend money on something like that instead of wider rims and other "bling", he-he.

Edited by guzzi850m2

I highly recommend the racechip!

I have been using the racechip at its factory settings since purchasing my 3.0L MU-7. In this SUV, the racechip not only performs to expectation, it does so flawlessly - I have excellent acceleration on demand - absolutely no 'black smoke'. I also have good power upon acceleration and excellent fuel economy. The power train operates nice and smooth with the racechip installed.

I have also recently blanked my EGR. The main benefit that I was looking for from this mod - and the one I have achieved - was to keep the EGR particles from being deposited into and contaminating the synthetic engine oil I use. Now, after hundreds of km of driving with my EGR blanked, my oil is still transparent - crystal clear on the dipstick! The only downside is, like the OP, my fuel economy is now somewhat lower than it had been before the mod but I gladly accept that little trade-off if it means always keeping my engine oil in the pristine clean condition it is now in!

I highly recommend the racechip!

I have been using the racechip at its factory settings since purchasing my 3.0L MU-7. In this SUV, the racechip not only performs to expectation, it does so flawlessly - I have excellent acceleration on demand - absolutely no 'black smoke'. I also have good power upon acceleration and excellent fuel economy. The power train operates nice and smooth with the racechip installed.

I have also recently blanked my EGR. The main benefit that I was looking for from this mod - and the one I have achieved - was to keep the EGR particles from being deposited into and contaminating the synthetic engine oil I use. Now, after hundreds of km of driving with my EGR blanked, my oil is still transparent - crystal clear on the dipstick! The only downside is, like the OP, my fuel economy is now somewhat lower than it had been before the mod but I gladly accept that little trade-off if it means always keeping my engine oil in the pristine clean condition it is now in!

Now that your EGR is blanked, giving known advantages at low revs ... I wonder how much difference there would be if you removed your Racechip.

Now that your EGR is blanked, giving known advantages at low revs ... I wonder how much difference there would be if you removed your Racechip.

Following the suggestion, I removed my racechip in order to note any difference in the operational performance of my vehicle's power train with its EGR blanked. Since 99.5% of my driving experience has been with the racechip installed, my point of reference can only be: Blanked EGR with racechip and Blanked EGR w/o racechip.

Driving with Blanked EGR w/o racechip, I could feel the power train operate smooth and fluid with power at <2,000 rpms. Acceleration at higher rpms with the Blanked EGR, the power train isn't as smooth and fluid as it is with the racechip installed.

My first hand blanked EGR - Racechip conclusion: Driving with only the blanked EGR mod on my 3L MU-7 diesel, I have very responsive, smooth and fluid power train operation 'plus' non-contaminated clear and transparent engine oil after having drove hundreds of km since installing this mod.

Driving with the racechip and the blanked EGR mods installed together on my engine, I have all of the above throughout the full range of the drive train plus smooth, fluid power accelerations and power train operation.

As far as diesel racechips are concerned, my racechip is a piggyback/plug'n-play or 'entry' level type. There are higher level type racechips that promise even more power and torque. For more information, you can contact member philipm at this thread: http://www.thaivisa....el-performance/

Edited by thailoht
  • Like 1

Just try these

racechip-logo-top.png
  • More power & Less consumption
  • 18 years of expert experience
  • 24-h-shipment throughout Europe

Safe tuning with RaceChip

• testsieger_eurotuner.png
  • racechip-header-tuev.png
  • racechip-header-safeshopping.png
  • racechip-header-trusted.png

Chiptuning > Isuzu > D-Max > 3.0 DI-D
Isuzu D-Max

Hint: The performance data shown here represents maximum values achievable. The real performance output depends on the serial tolerances of the vehicle. We deliver the RaceChip with the best possible setting for your vehicle type. You can adjust the performance according to your requirements on the RaceChip.

Serial condition 107 kW 145 HP 294 Nm Fuel Saving

Scope of supply

• RaceChip
  • Cable harness
  • Serial connector
  • Cable clip
  • Installation instructions
Specifications Processor Core Map processing Performance adjustable Plug Case Dimensions Attention!
Important Notice. performancechart-icon.pngRaceChip Tuning Changing 135 kW + 26% 184 HP + 27% 364 Nm + 24% up to 1l / 100km

129.00 € currency-converter-open.png

incl. VAT

Shipment all over Europe free of charge
Shipping costs to other countries: here

In stock – available immediately racechip-produktbild-v2.png ST62 (8Mhz) 8bit 12 million/sec yes.png
Sub-D Aluminium 7,4 cm × 6,3 cm × 3,4 cm Please note the legal notice performancechart-icon.pngRaceChip Pro2 Tuning Changing 139 kW + 30% 189 HP + 30% 382 Nm + 30% up to 1l / 100km

229.00 € currency-converter-open.png

incl. VAT

In stock – available immediately racechip-pro2-produktbild-v2.png STM8 (24Mhz) 8bit 24 million/sec yes.png
FCI Automotive Fibre-glass reinforced plastic, heat resistant 9,2 cm × 10,4 cm × 3,6 cm Please note the legal notice performancechart-icon.pngRaceChip CR Ultimate Tuning Changing 140 kW + 31% 190 HP + 31% 384 Nm + 31% up to 1l / 100km

479.00 € currency-converter-open.png

incl. VAT

In stock – available immediately racechip-ultimate-produktbild-v2.png ARM Cortex Ⅲ ™ (48MHz) 32bit 48 Mio. yes.png
FCI Automotive Heat-resistant fibre-glass reinforced plastic 11,5 cm × 10,0 cm × 4,0 cm Please note the legal notice.

Chiptuning > Isuzu > D-Max > 3.0 DI-D
Isuzu D-Max

Hint: The performance data shown here represents maximum values achievable. The real performance output depends on the serial tolerances of the vehicle. We deliver the RaceChip with the best possible setting for your vehicle type. You can adjust the performance according to your requirements on the RaceChip.

Serial condition 107 kW 145 HP 294 Nm Fuel Saving

Scope of supply

• RaceChip
  • Cable harness
  • Serial connector
  • Cable clip
  • Installation instructions
Specifications Processor Core Map processing Performance adjustable Plug Case Dimensions Attention!
Important Notice. performancechart-icon.pngRaceChip Tuning Changing 135 kW + 26% 184 HP + 27% 364 Nm + 24% up to 1l / 100km

129.00 € currency-converter-open.png

incl. VAT

In stock – available immediately racechip-produktbild-v2.png ST62 (8Mhz) 8bit 12 million/sec yes.png
Sub-D Aluminium 7,4 cm × 6,3 cm × 3,4 cm Please note the legal notice performancechart-icon.pngRaceChip Pro2 Tuning Changing 139 kW + 30% 189 HP + 30% 382 Nm + 30% up to 1l / 100km

229.00 € currency-converter-open.png

incl. VAT

In stock – available immediately racechip-pro2-produktbild-v2.png STM8 (24Mhz) 8bit 24 million/sec yes.png
FCI Automotive Fibre-glass reinforced plastic, heat resistant 9,2 cm × 10,4 cm × 3,6 cm Please note the legal notice performancechart-icon.pngRaceChip CR Ultimate Tuning Changing 140 kW + 31% 190 HP + 31% 384 Nm + 31% up to 1l / 100km

479.00 € currency-converter-open.png

incl. VAT

In stock – available immediately racechip-ultimate-produktbild-v2.png ARM Cortex Ⅲ ™ (48MHz) 32bit 48 Mio. yes.png
FCI Automotive Heat-resistant fibre-glass reinforced plastic 11,5 cm × 10,0 cm × 4,0 cm Please note the legal notice.

Thailoht ... thanks, I was hoping that you would do that for me.

Hint ... I don't think I actually need that. If it makes driving even more pleasurable than I would be quite happy, a little extra torque when needed is also a plus ... as for 380Nm, well maybe after hell freezes over.

I expect that I will go for one ... just would like to fit it on the quite and see if madam notices. She said the effect from blanking the EGR was quite noticeable, but then she knew it had been done.

Just wonder about the EGT, both mods increase it, so both will effect turbine life, but measurable ....

Edited by JAS21

Thailoht ... thanks, I was hoping that you would do that for me.

Hint ... I don't think I actually need that. If it makes driving even more pleasurable than I would be quite happy, a little extra torque when needed is also a plus ... as for 380Nm, well maybe after hell freezes over.

I expect that I will go for one ... just would like to fit it on the quite and see if madam notices. She said the effect from blanking the EGR was quite noticeable, but then she knew it had been done.

Just wonder about the EGT, both mods increase it, so both will effect turbine life, but measurable ....

Thanks to your suggestion, a basic frame of reference for blank EGR - racechip mod performance comparison has been established for fellow enthusiasts.