Alcohol and Exercise

A friend of mine pretty much puts down a small bottle of Sangsom every evening, occasionally a couple nights off. Drinks it with lots of soda water, says he does not get hangovers from it.

Also, he is convinced his exercise habits, daily 4km runs, tennis and other activities sweats the bad stuff out for him, drinks lots of water.

Sheryl, or any other health professionals out there for his longterm health is he accurate? Does the body rid itself of the previous nights alcohol consumption via exercise?

Nope. The body has to deal with the toxins and exercise will not speed it up, Exercise might even be bad as the body could be dehydrated from the booze.

There are no methods to speed up the break-down of those toxins I am afraid.

• Like 1

I have exercised regularly for over a decade and always found that the best way to cure a hangover is with exercise. It goes without saying that you will need to drink water, extra water in fact but it always removes the groginess you feel the next day. There are toxins in the body still and I doubt whether exercise can speed up the removal of them but it tends to make you feel better if you do it properly. I haven't found a hangover cure that can even come close to some early morning exercise. I doubt that one exists.

I too feel better after exercise, but the alcohol is definitely still there.

• Like 1

I have exercised regularly for over a decade and always found that the best way to cure a hangover is with exercise. It goes without saying that you will need to drink water, extra water in fact but it always removes the groginess you feel the next day. There are toxins in the body still and I doubt whether exercise can speed up the removal of them but it tends to make you feel better if you do it properly. I haven't found a hangover cure that can even come close to some early morning exercise. I doubt that one exists.

But I bet the exchange of fluids speeds up the breakdown of the toxins.

• Like 2

Exercise 3 times per week, drink about 2 to 3 times per week, as far as I am concerned, I stay in pretty good shape and have only minor hangovers.

OF course as mentioned, gotta take in lots of fluids, I like gatorade or add electrolyte powder to my water. It's all good thumbsup.gif

Edited by likewise
  • Like 1

Actually, it doesn't.

• Like 1

Yea, did some research and Sheryl is right, it's time and liver function that takes down the BAC.

Also in reading, saw a tip about apple cider vinegar helping with liver health, so for myself have started plugging a teaspoon every few days or so.

• 2 weeks later...

This is amongst us athlets an extremely easy answered question you put forward, and it suprice me that not even one answer is warning for exercise "day after" a drinking session..

You will put i.e. your heart on an extreme pressure to exercise together with having alcohol in your blood. It is plain stupoid, and you maybe can experience it like something nice, but it is stupid and death is in the pot here for you.

Stay away from it... Wait one day after you have been out drinking.....

Glegolo

• Like 2

"I haven't found a hangover cure that can even come close to some early morning exercise. I doubt that one exists."

Well there is the 100% foolproof Ben Franklin method. I never tried it myself when I was younger, but some people spoke highly of it. Now that I'm considerably older I never have hangovers thanks to Ben (and an increasingly low alcohol tolerance).

Quotation-Benjamin-Franklin-preparation-

Especially with the added large amounts of soda water that you mentioned

"watering" down the alcohol. I gotta' think that makes for an easier passage

through the liver.

Edited by Dap

I've just finished gym for the day...1500 calories racked up bike. Scrubbed up and then sat down with a cold G and T to have dinner. Busted my ass on the bike to waste it on the G and T's.

My opinion...give up the piss for 4 or 5 days a week and have a couple of guilt free drink days a week and exercise for the rest of the time. That's my goal at least :) I'm still trying to get the balance right, cos the booze isn't the answer.

• Like 1

A fairly decent argument contradicting the OP belief can be made with basic physiology in mind.

# alcohol is toxic to muscle and nerves

# metabolized by the liver

Exercise causes striated muscle (arms/legs/etc) to increase blood flow to them in order for increased oxygen(metabolic needs) thereby shunting blood flow away from the liver which would decrease the breakdown/removal of alcohol in the body.

Another issue is adding exercise to a possibly elevated blood pressure secondary to alcohol.

The terrible feeling that is a hangover is the body's way of saying something is wrong. Not the body's way of saying "i need exercise"

The other piece of the puzzle is drinking a bottle of hard liquor every day might cause a persons mentation to believe many things that are not necessarily correct.

• Like 1

Well I've never heard of mentation, but I think it means if you flog the horse you will feel like <deleted> I.e. Mentally shagged.

I love a drink, but the best rush I ever get is after smashing a PB in a run or in the gym and I'm not talking weights. I love weights but it's a hard run that makes my day and it's the adrenalin rush that I'm really enjoying, plus that private feeling that I've beaten my personal goal.

I think that's the secret, don't worry about anyone else, just set your own goal, make it hard but realistic and then enjoy beating it and then re setting your bench mark.

I find that More people are Toxic, than the toxicity of alcohol.

And usually alcoholics cause less problems to others, than they do to themselves.

May the Lord save from "normal" people...

And yes, work is the curse of the drinking classes...

but getting out-and-about (some execise of the brain) can make you feel refreshed

I find that More people are Toxic, than the toxicity of alcohol.

And usually alcoholics cause less problems to others, than they do to themselves.

May the Lord save from "normal" people...

And yes, work is the curse of the drinking classes...

but getting out-and-about (some execise of the brain) can make you feel refreshed

Guess you've never had much rapport with families, friends and loved ones of alcoholics, not to say alcoholics don't hurt themselves also.

Certainly people can be toxic but typically the alcoholic blames problems on others like the toxic people as one example.

Edited by atyclb

This is amongst us athlets an extremely easy answered question you put forward, and it suprice me that not even one answer is warning for exercise "day after" a drinking session..

You will put i.e. your heart on an extreme pressure to exercise together with having alcohol in your blood. It is plain stupoid, and you maybe can experience it like something nice, but it is stupid and death is in the pot here for you.

Glegolo??

Ok GIGOLO,What about a big round with the Missus the morning after?? tongue.png

Glegolo

Agree entirely. If out socializing and taking in alcohol, then it is no training the next day for me, or my two trainers (my dogs), who get extremely pee'd off if we don't run. I do try to take on as much non-alcoholic fluids the next day, mainly in the form of chlorophyll. Used to socialize two or three times a week, now do it only two or three times a month and feel much the better for it. Improved blood pressure, less toxins flying around and just love the endorphines affect after exercise, not to mention the pooches think I am the best thing since sliced bread! Having just bought a puppy Great Dane, might have to cut the socializing down to two or three times a year - only joking team!

Glegolo

Agree entirely. If out socializing and taking in alcohol, then it is no training the next day for me, or my two trainers (my dogs), who get extremely pee'd off if we don't run. I do try to take on as much non-alcoholic fluids the next day, mainly in the form of chlorophyll. Used to socialize two or three times a week, now do it only two or three times a month and feel much the better for it. Improved blood pressure, less toxins flying around and just love the endorphines affect after exercise, not to mention the pooches think I am the best thing since sliced bread! Having just bought a puppy Great Dane, might have to cut the socializing down to two or three times a year - only joking team!

Had a job that was physically demanding. We used to take the mussel heads who hired on and run them into the ground. They never lasted. At that time in my life I was drunk every night. This was for a good number of years. I now find my self an old man over 70 who has been sober and drug free over 30m years.

I also have an enlarged heart. Not saying it was the extreme exercise the day after but could well have contributed to it. Nothing I can do now but it is just another point that helps to explain my physical condition today.

Thanks for mentioning it the stress it brought on my body.

• 4 months later...

Glegolo

O.K. well then I guess I'm off to the coffin maker to get measured up.................still drink 5 or 6 cocktails and do my daily runs, although generally Mondays and Tuesdays I don't drink. Feel pretty good, last full fledged physical I had about ten months ago, just about broke their treadmill, doctors watched and asked if I could keep up my final pace another minute (which I did). All tests good.

Glegolo

O.K. well then I guess I'm off to the coffin maker to get measured up.................still drink 5 or 6 cocktails and do my daily runs, although generally Mondays and Tuesdays I don't drink. Feel pretty good, last full fledged physical I had about ten months ago, just about broke their treadmill, doctors watched and asked if I could keep up my final pace another minute (which I did). All tests good.

Well we all react in different ways. If I had been drinking like you I would never have quit. On the other hand maybe you are one of those who gets drunk real easy. Like a friend of mine we used to give him a six pack of beer and he was toast at the end of the night. Drunk or sober that is not an awful lot of alcohol to be drinking.