Import Taxes for items

dear all,

i read thoroughly the import customs tax and tariffs and I understand that thailand has signed an ASEAN-China trade agreement but after importing some bags as a try-out, I was still slapped with the damned import duty! I did an extensive search and bags were supposed to be exempt from import duty.

so how does this work in thailand at all?

are all goods being imported subject to the ridiculous import duty?

I have observed that in my case, receiving products from American businesses, customs looks closely.

For mail or boxes from private individual, seems to be ignored by customs.

All that may relate to the declared value of the package.

American biz just will not ship stuff marked "disassembled, not working" or "non working kit" etc even if the products are that. After all, it is not the shipper who pays duty.

Duty charge in Thailand to foreign individuals are another way to tell foreigners that we are not really wanted here.

The reason for duty, other than a great source to snatch cash, is to protect DOMESTIC makers of the same item. Yet, Thai customs slaps on big charges for items that Thailand CAN NOT MAKE here. Oh, well.

When customs decides to hit you with an import tax, 30% is frequently the catch-all figure...and they may even add on the 7% VAT. If the item is valued at less than 1,000 baht you probably won't be taxed assuming it's arriving via regular mail; if coming by FedEx, UPS, etc., I think these shipping companies go out of their way to ensure import tax is collect by doing all the necessary import tax collection paperwork...that's one reason these companies can get things through customs so fast because they are basically doing customs' job and ensuring import tax is collected which makes the customs department smile.

See this Customs webpage for some basic customs info: Link

Edited by Pib

When you let send something by ems

Or also priority letter!

You can be hundred Procent sure

Someone look inside!

But After Many post about this

I still dont know why dhl is allowed to overcharge in import tax, for same items and Thailand post not do

I ordered some kitchen utilities

Exactly same value in 2 parcels

Dhl I payed 3500 baht

Thailand post same value and items

0 baht tax!

Dhl often need 3 week up to one month

Not only one week like thai post

Because dhl wait the oversea container is full!

I imported a small package of bags. Value less than 5000baht but declared at 5000baht and slapped with 1500 import duty!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

where they leather bags by any chance ?....if they were, Thailand has 30% import duty on leather goods + 7% Sales tax...wink.png

so it seems to me they let you off with the 7% sales tax if they charged you THB 1500..

Edited by Soutpeel

From what i heard,DHL, Fedex,most couriers,add the value of all goods

in a airline container then add customs duties,and whatever other charges

they want to add,to the number of parcels in said container,just say theres

a 1000 parcels thats divided by the amount they arrived at, so some people

are charged more ,while somebody with a high value item is charged less

that what it should be, they do this to have a quick delivery of the parcels,

which is why people choose them.

regards worgeordie

Amy customs agreement is about goods' manufacturing origin. The fact that is was shipped from a country Thailand has a certain agreement with means nothing. You need to ask the seller to include a certificate of origin to proof origin and the seller or shipper needs to fill in the correct document. Only then will you get duties calculated as per agreement. VAT is still payable though.

Thailand is no different to any other country in this regard.