Patong's "World Class Facilities"....yeah right!

xylophone

The writing was on the wall for Patong about 10 to 12 years ago, maybe longer, when it was run by one family (democratically elected) who allowed unfettered development as long as their construction company were awarded the contracts & anyone else had to pay them off if they wanted to work. They had spies riding around continuously to ensure no one fell under the radar. This, what virtually looks like non regulated development, continues to this day.

• Like 2

Of course, Rawai is so much better, right? cheesy.gif

How would you know, do you ever leave Patong or Bangla rd???

Living in Patong, I can only aspire to be able to live in Rawai one day. It's such an affluent area of Phuket. biggrin.png

I am saving up for my Salaeng to be ready for the move too.

Have to agree with Valentine, it was the local gov't with their huge kickbacks that led to the place turning into a big pile of steaming world class dung.

"that led to the place turning into a big pile of steaming world class dung." - are you talking about Pattaya, or Phuket? biggrin.png

Have to agree with Valentine, it was the local gov't with their huge kickbacks that led to the place turning into a big pile of steaming world class dung.

"that led to the place turning into a big pile of steaming world class dung." - are you talking about Pattaya, or Phuket? biggrin.png

Poo-ket

Actually, the roads in Rawai and Nai Harn are pretty good.

Kudos to whoever is in charge of them.

I agree Patong is battered. But, I imagine, give it a few more years and they might even get that new road completed.

They probably should have kept it closed until finished.

• Like 1

Actually, the roads in Rawai and Nai Harn are pretty good.

Kudos to whoever is in charge of them.

I agree Patong is battered. But, I imagine, give it a few more years and they might even get that new road completed.

They probably should have kept it closed until finished.

Certainly the roads that I cycle when passing through Rawai are generally in good condition. Rawai beach road has the best designated private vehicle parking areas that I've seen anywhere on the island, with properly marked spaces for motorcycles along the sidewalk next to the beach, and car parking spaces on the other side of the beach road (must be parking for over 100 cars along that road).

• Like 2

Living in Patong, I can only aspire to be able to live in Rawai one day. It's such an affluent area of Phuket. biggrin.png

So true, Rawai is rich in art, music, good restaurants and a real feeling of communtity. Come on down!

Whereas Patong is such an effluent area of Phuket. tongue.png

According to this recent news story in the Phuket Gazette, the newly elected Mayor of Patong is trying to make a difference but it all seems dependent upon her success in bringing together a quorum to begin with;

PHUKET: A boycott by members of Pian Keesin’s Rak Patong Party this morning forced Chalermluck Kebsab to abandon her first council meeting as Patong Mayor.

See more at; http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Boycott-forces-Patong-mayor-abandon-inaugural-council/29620#ad-image-0

The diehards of Patong obviously fear her influence already.

Unfortunately Thailand needs 100 years of Western colonization to then be able to take care of themselves and their country in a decent, progessive manner.

Totally agree with you....but I doubt if our Thai friends would agree... That would be loosing face big time..

• Like 1

Unfortunately Thailand needs 100 years of Western colonization to then be able to take care of themselves and their country in a decent, progessive manner.

Goose! Aren't you aware that NOT being colonised is what has made Thailand the paradise it is today!! thumbsup.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 1

The word is effluent. Thank you.

It is "world class" just didn't specify which world! Euro types think first world, but take a look at the rest of the world a bit. Think Nigeria, Syria, Sudan.... that is part of the world they aspire to one would think.

• Like 1