Connection speeds to international websites since Coup

bkkbarnstormer

Over the past two weeks - since the Coup - I have noticed a significant deterioration in connection speeds.

Previously I was able to obtain >3MB internationally and 20MB to Bkk from my local internet provider on the Dark Side, Pattaya.

In the last 2 weeks the international connection has dropped to 300-400kb which (somewhat annoyingly) is preventing me from watching my internet TV.

Am I alone in this experience and the timing of when it occurred is just coincidence - or have others notice a similar drop in speeds?

It would probably help if you could detail which speedtest services you used/are using? Which ISP? Which streaming services, etc.?

More and more people are turning to the internet for both news, and for streaming services, so it might not be unexpected to see some degradation in throughput, ping, jitter, etc.?

I imagine it might get worse when the World Cup begins?

I personally haven't noticed any significant degradation, but I do not do daily speedtests so cannot vouch for any changes.

We support a number of internet access customers and there have been no complaints specifically about throughput.

Rather slow indeed much of the time since the coup on Sophon/CAT, though it does vary. Quite a few timeouts and hanging pages for sites outside Thailand. My bandwidth to Bangkok still maxes out all day and all night, and torrents etc also run at full speed, so the webpage slowdown is presumably a bottleneck at MICT or whatever they are calling themselves these days.

Rather slow indeed much of the time since the coup on Sophon/CAT, though it does vary. Quite a few timeouts and hanging pages for sites outside Thailand. My bandwidth to Bangkok still maxes out all day and all night, and torrents etc also run at full speed, so the webpage slowdown is presumably a bottleneck at MICT or whatever they are calling themselves these days.

I agree with this and I have noticed the hanging pages too. Torrents are still working well. (On TOT Fiber 2U 15/2).

It would probably help if you could detail which speedtest services you used/are using? Which ISP? Which streaming services, etc.?

More and more people are turning to the internet for both news, and for streaming services, so it might not be unexpected to see some degradation in throughput, ping, jitter, etc.?

I personally haven't noticed any significant degradation, but I do not do daily speedtests so cannot vouch for any changes.

We support a number of internet access customers and there have been no complaints specifically about throughput.

I used to use BBC diagnostics to check internet speed but since this is no longer available I am using speedtest.net

ISP is Banglamung cable.

Connections to Bangkok look ok but those to Europe look slow

At this stage I cannot tell if my problem is IPTV or internet connection as previously I always used BBC diagnostics as a good test of internet speed - hence thought I would see if others were experiencing similar problems

I used to use BBC diagnostics to check internet speed but since this is no longer available I am using speedtest.net

ISP is Banglamung cable.

Connections to Bangkok look ok but those to Europe look slow

At this stage I cannot tell if my problem is IPTV or internet connection as previously I always used BBC diagnostics as a good test of internet speed - hence thought I would see if others were experiencing similar problems

I have been experiencing some severe problems since last Friday. I use 3BB as my ISP for cable broadband. Upload and download speeds to and from their server near Bangkok are a bit above advertised speeds.

I am having real problems sending bulk emails via my US based server using Thunderbird. I get the same issue whether using Ubuntu 14.04 or Windows 7. Whilst the first email in the mailing list gets sent, the connection to the server for the second and subsequent emails gets timed out. If I exit Thunderbird and start again, only the next email on the list gets sent. BTW, my website is an article directory and I send regular emails to the registered authors of which there are over 7,400. I spread these emails out over a couple of days as my hosting company will only send out a maximum of 1000 emails an hour, but Thunderbird seems to have a limitation nearer to 720 an hour. I can, however, send individual emails and there is no problem in receiving emails.

My first thought was that there was a problem with the settings on Thunderbirid, but my hosting company's technical support confirmed that not only were they correct, but there was no undue load on the server that might account for the issue. The Mozilla forum suggested that, as a last resort, changing the password might help. To do that, I need to access cpanel on my website. Not a chance! The connection times out. Yet, the tech support at my US based hosting company was able to access the cpanel without any problem.

3BB have confirmed they are not experiencing any technical difficulties that may account for the issue I am experiencing. That is confirmed by the upload and download speeds. They are silent about any restrictions in the system after their server.

I can access the dashboard on my website, so the server is not being blocked. The only explanations that I can come up with are :

1. the connection speed is too slow for sending bulk emails; or

2. the sending of bulk emails is being blocked.

Either way that puts me in a bind because it is from those emails that I derive my living!

I was just about to start a thread here to ask the same thing. I have both True and 3BB and seen problems start within days of the coup, Ive not been running speed tests as they often flucuate so much and sites like Speedtest are a waste of time but Ive been getting lots of sites hanging and not resolving or sometimes just loading the basic html and text and noting more and often I have to hard refresh pages again and again, this is on both ips. Torrents have been fine as have pings on game servers though (yes the important stuff)

Any engineers can throw light on what could be happening here?

Dark side as well, many connection drops in http traffic, SMTP server in the states inaccessible. Using a VPN everything works. Somebody's screwing with the firewalls/transparent proxies. 3BB 13Mbit.

Still no geeks here who can tell me how to get my Daily Mail Sudoku back. I can access almost every other page but Coffee Break - all I get is

ict.jpg

It's being blocked by the Ministry of Information and Communications Technology. It's against Thai Visa Forum rules to tell you how to get around the blocks. The reason the Daily Mail is being blocked is because the Daily Mail had posted stuff that is against the Lèse-majesté law. You have been told several times.

Edited by BB1950
  • Like 1

3BB in Pattaya not so good last 2 weeks. Many times some elements of international pages are missing (images,CSS,js,..) and I have to refresh the page. Didn't have this problem before.

All Thai connections are now going through a handful of content control filters - it takes time to scan pages and make sure no one is posting anti establishment messages etc. I don't have first hand experience of this actually happening, but having done it in Burma, it all fits....

Interestingly enough the ICT logo in post #12 changed during the lifetime of this thread. They are definitely doing something, I still can't connect to my SMTP server in the US without a VPN proxy. Ping & stacktraces look ok, but the TCP port times out.

EDIT: I'm using TLS, port 465.

Edited by DrTuner

3BB Gold, and I've had the account for six years. Generally it's been rock solid, if a little slow (3 MB down, o.7 MB up).

I haven't had any throughput issues, but have had intermittent DNS problems since last Friday (30 May, 2014). Really non-controversial sites like IMDB.com, wunderground.com, my.yahoo.com, gmail.com, and even ThaiVisa.com have disappeared and re-appeared. Potentially controversial sites load just fine, so it's probably not coup related.

[Edited a typo]

Edited by DivinGuy

And today the IMAP TLS port is blocked too, 993. ISP's cPanel inaccessible as well, port 2083. Wireshark shows the TLSv1 protocol sending a client hello and getting an TCP ack, but there never is a server hello in return. A couple of TCP Dup ack's before the TCP times out. Incoming packets blocked, it looks like. IMAP server is hostignition's, pluto.ignitionserver.net, have a crack if you want to check.

All work ok when using a VPN.

EDIT: looks like their unencrypted SMTP server is accessible. It's the "unusual" encrypted ports that seem to be blocked. Https port, 443, works ok as well.

Edited by DrTuner

It's entirely possible to decrypt HTTPS on the fly, just a matter of when they put the kit in....So just keep in mind even though you are going to secure site, your content can still be monitored.

I was just about to post the same as the OP...........my TOT Wi-Net has slowed to a crawl, from my regular 10mb down and 1mb up to 2 or 3mb down to .1mb up and impossible to use VOIP, skype and magicjack. How's anyone to do business that needs voice communications??

TIT............

Still no geeks here who can tell me how to get my Daily Mail Sudoku back. I can access almost every other page but Coffee Break - all I get is

ict.jpg

I'd never heard of the Daily Mail until this all happened. But intrigued I'm now kinda hooked on its trash journalism. Thank You NCPMOLPTCO, or whatever the current acronym is. Ironically my VPN is based in China...almost makes ya weep

Just confirmed with hostignition, they do see TLS handshake coming from my IP, but the reply from the server times out. It's blocked. I tried a connecting to another TLS 465 server, which worked fine. So looks like my email provider has ended up on some blacklist.

The TLS cert they use is actually expired. One starts to think if this isn't some sort of botched MITMA...

TLS started working today. No changes on my end.

Question, using what gateway out of Thailand would yield the fastest possible ping? I have TOT and CAT fibre optic out of my factory, use a DTAC 3G phone, and have a service routing through an STS Group gateway from my Bangkok condo. None of them will yield a ping faster than 300Mbps to a Washington based server using OOKLA. Desparately seeking a 55-60Mbps connection.

TLS started working today. No changes on my end.

Question, using what gateway out of Thailand would yield the fastest possible ping? I have TOT and CAT fibre optic out of my factory, use a DTAC 3G phone, and have a service routing through an STS Group gateway from my Bangkok condo. None of them will yield a ping faster than 300Mbps to a Washington based server using OOKLA. Desparately seeking a 55-60Mbps connection.

Ping time is in milliseconds (ms); not in Mbps which is a measure of bandwidth/download or upload speed. Impossible to get a ping time of much less than 200ms from Thailand to the U.S. until you figure out how to make you internet electrons go faster than the speed of light--that's hard to do except in scifi movies.

Sent from my Samsung S4

• Like 2