Phuket volunteers help Swedish tourist find his hotel after two days

webfact

Most people book their hotel before leaving their home country.

A phone call to a friend, relative or travel agent back home may have solved the problem.

I doubt the arrival card at the airport would be sorted/accessible.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why didn't the tourist police just phone the hotels since they had his name and details, surely this would have been easier rather than driving around like headless chickens until the old guy finally found his hotel? Oh! I forgot! This is Thailand! Nothing's that simple I suppose!

Yes, this is Thailand where almost all small businesses use mobile phones, of which there is no directory. Small hotels and guesthouses do almost no customer-business via telephone, and there is no reason to compile such a directory, which would be out of date the first time one guesthouse operator bought a new SIM.

I would suggest this sort of thing is quite common. I know that on my first visit to Rio de Janiero, Brazil I checked into my company organised hotel. Then straight off to visit a client who invited me out to their company party. Completely pissed a few hours later, jump into taxi, no idea of hotel name. Funny enough I remembered it was a lady's name, mentioned that to the driver who by luck spoke English. He suggested Gloria Hotel, and that was correct. Rio is not a place to wander about lost.

can you imagine this happening to someone in Bangkok w00t.gif

It actually isn't very difficult for this to happen, obviously the one key element is remembering the name of the hotel or more importantly having it written down and in your pocket or on you smartphone (didn't exist 20 years ago) when you leave your room, this did actually happen to me in a very large city some years ago, I went out down town for food and drink but could not remember the name of the hotel when I jumped in a taxi to go back to my room, I was fortunate to have a PA that booked the hotel for me and all I had to do was call her, but I can see how this could easily happen and I'm pretty sure it happens more often that most people would admit too giggle.gif

I see the floodgates have opened after I got the ball rolling with my fabricated story cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I see the floodgates have opened after I got the ball rolling with my fabricated story cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Trolling is for those who are in need to compensate their lack of real life experiences.

I will never ever forget the long night I forgot where I parked my car in Sydney (I am not from Sydney). Total nightmare have never walked so long and so tired, lesson learnt always look for some kind of structure or sign to remember where you were; this was actually a lesson on Sesamie Street obviously I was did not remember this that night!

can you imagine this happening to someone in Bangkok w00t.gif

It actually isn't very difficult for this to happen, obviously the one key element is remembering the name of the hotel or more importantly having it written down and in your pocket or on you smartphone (didn't exist 20 years ago) when you leave your room, this did actually happen to me in a very large city some years ago, I went out down town for food and drink but could not remember the name of the hotel when I jumped in a taxi to go back to my room, I was fortunate to have a PA that booked the hotel for me and all I had to do was call her, but I can see how this could easily happen and I'm pretty sure it happens more often that most people would admit too giggle.gif

I think you'll find it was Webfact's article that got the ball rolling.

But you keep living in your own world Smedley

Congrats to the Phuket volunteers!

Wow, it must have been some bender!

I used to have Alzheimers disease but now I have forgotten what it is, so I know longer worry about it!

(my apologies to those who really do have it, for the flippant comment)

• Like 1

Whenever I check in, I always take the hotel's business card and carry it with me in my pant pocket. Also, in case something should happen to me, would make it easier for the authorities.

I would suggest this sort of thing is quite common. I know that on my first visit to Rio de Janiero, Brazil I checked into my company organised hotel. Then straight off to visit a client who invited me out to their company party. Completely pissed a few hours later, jump into taxi, no idea of hotel name. Funny enough I remembered it was a lady's name, mentioned that to the driver who by luck spoke English. He suggested Gloria Hotel, and that was correct. Rio is not a place to wander about lost.

And you'll never in your life forget that name again :)

It probably doesn't mean a great difference to most people. But it does to me.

The volunteers who solve this problem in the very best way belongs to the Phuket Tourist Police and not the local Patong Police volunteer program under Region 8.

Confusing yes!

There are many police volunteer programs - but only one Phuket Tourist Police Volunteer program covering all of Phuket and PhangNga Province.

As you said, makes little difference to most, but for posterity's sake, the volunteer quoted in the article (Divan) is a Region 8 volunteer, (he also took most of the pictures you see) and the one in all the photo's, (Marc) is a tourist police volunteer. They deserve most the credit. A good example of the two groups working well together.

Police Region 8 covers all of Thailand south of and including Surathani Province, not just Phuket and Phangna.

Region 8 and Tourist Police Volunteers speaking to the lost Swede, Mr. Berglund.

1401684927805.jpg

Wouldn't the TPV's suggest he check some personal records to refresh his memory.

He could have had a confirmation email of a booking and/or airport transfer, or maybe check his internet bank - if he paid for the hotel over the net there could be a name on the credit card payment.

Also, did he use an ATM near his hotel - the location is sometimes on the statement. A serched could have concentrated on that area.

That said, I do note his age - he may not be up to date on internet communication.

What about telling him to call home, maybe he left the name of the hotel with relatives. They could also check the phone bill from Sweden. He may have telephoned the hotel for the booking.

What about checking his mobile phone and/or camera. Did he take some photos of his hotel - the pool area etc.

Does he have a favourite bar? Does he remember it's name? Did he get talking to the boss or staff there? Did he tell them where is was staying? Most of the bar girls ask, "Where you stay Phuket" so they can judge your wealth.

Did he remember what floor he is on, or if he was very high up? If it's a very high floor, that narrows the hotels down considerably. Also, could he see a landmark from his hotel, or did he always walk past a landmark to go out? Eg. Jungceylon

Just a few things that could have been checked with him before driving around and around, but mainly looking for his hotel booking, either through email, payment, or a telephone call to/from the hotel.

I'm not criticizing the TPV's - just some suggestions.

Why didn't the tourist police just phone the hotels since they had his name and details, surely this would have been easier rather than driving around like headless chickens until the old guy finally found his hotel? Oh! I forgot! This is Thailand! Nothing's that simple I suppose!

And the tourist police is Farangs, you forgot to mention that.

Not necessarily faster. Think about how many hotels there are ... dialing each one, waiting for an answer, making the request to look up farang name, probably having to spell it, hotel looking up the name. That could take forever.

• Like 1

This has raised memories of a dream I used to have.In the dream I had to meet someone, but they were not at the Rendezvous. I then couldn't find my car, couldn't remember where I had left it or where my hotel was! Now I am well past my 'Best Before' date, the dream is becoming more like reality. What was the subject again? sad.png

Last December or was it on January I went to party on Bangla and left my motorbike "somewhere". I was a bit drunk and later when was time to go back home I was even more drunk and had no idea where the hell I had left my motorbike (which in away was a good thing as in that state of drunkness it's not too safe to ride). Anyways next day I still hadn't any idea where I had left the bike as I was drunk already when went there, but I just decided to go check the most obvious place at first. And there it was on Soi Sansabai, of course! Where else?!? ;)

Wouldn't the TPV's suggest he check some personal records to refresh his memory.

He could have had a confirmation email of a booking and/or airport transfer, or maybe check his internet bank - if he paid for the hotel over the net there could be a name on the credit card payment.

Also, did he use an ATM near his hotel - the location is sometimes on the statement. A serched could have concentrated on that area.

That said, I do note his age - he may not be up to date on internet communication.

What about telling him to call home, maybe he left the name of the hotel with relatives. They could also check the phone bill from Sweden. He may have telephoned the hotel for the booking.

What about checking his mobile phone and/or camera. Did he take some photos of his hotel - the pool area etc.

Does he have a favourite bar? Does he remember it's name? Did he get talking to the boss or staff there? Did he tell them where is was staying? Most of the bar girls ask, "Where you stay Phuket" so they can judge your wealth.

Did he remember what floor he is on, or if he was very high up? If it's a very high floor, that narrows the hotels down considerably. Also, could he see a landmark from his hotel, or did he always walk past a landmark to go out? Eg. Jungceylon

Just a few things that could have been checked with him before driving around and around, but mainly looking for his hotel booking, either through email, payment, or a telephone call to/from the hotel.

Why would you assume these things weren't tried?

• Like 1

And the tourist police is Farangs, you forgot to mention that.

The tourist police are Thai. The tourist police volunteers are both Thai and foreign.

NKM had good points. One of which I'll take in to practise while traveling. Taking a photo of the hotel where I'm staying.

In case I would get lost I could always show the photo to local people who might be able to direct me to the correct direction.

I guess the work to find the hotel is like any other troubleshooting work. It's best to try the obvious first and then dig in deeper if the simple ways to find the solution fails.

I'll never forget the time I stayed in a small Chinese town of 1 million, back in 2000.

My first day, I wandered around on foot until I was good and lost, then got on a pedicab and the guy took me right to my place- actually an apartment because (I was told) there were no foreigner approved hotels in town.

Word had gotten around that there was a foreigner staying in town...

I will never ever forget the long night I forgot where I parked my car in Sydney (I am not from Sydney). Total nightmare have never walked so long and so tired, lesson learnt always look for some kind of structure or sign to remember where you were; this was actually a lesson on Sesamie Street obviously I was did not remember this that night!

It is worse when you walk down the street where you parked your car....get to the end and did not see it...thought it was because talking to girlfriend. Walk back...same again ,.again and suddenly realised it had been stolen. it would have to be a very long and hilly Wellington street too.

Edited by harrry

You have obviously never tried ringing a hotel to ask to speak to one of the guests by name - or to ask if they have checked in...

Why would you assume these things weren't tried?

Can you confirm the Swedish guy was interviewed about one or more of the things I mentioned?

Until then, I will assume he was not, as it was not reported that he was.

Like I said, they were only suggestions. There may be one on that list that could be committed to memory and used in the future.

Edited by NamKangMan

NKM had good points. One of which I'll take in to practise while traveling. Taking a photo of the hotel where I'm staying.

In case I would get lost I could always show the photo to local people who might be able to direct me to the correct direction.

I guess the work to find the hotel is like any other troubleshooting work. It's best to try the obvious first and then dig in deeper if the simple ways to find the solution fails.

Everywhere I go I always grab the hotel's business card, however, I have found the taking of a photograph of a train station name, street sign etc extremely helpful when in countries that do not use the Roman alphabet.

This saved me quite a few times in Russia and The Middle East.

Normallly, I could match up the station or street name with the photo on my camera and then I would know to get off at that station, or walk up that street, but sometimes I had to show the camera screen to a local and get them to nod or shake their head and/or point me in the right direction.

Do you have any idea how many hotels and guesthouses are in Patong? It would take much longer to try to call each one.

I think you fail to understand the point, the holtels and guesthouses are supposed to make a copy of your passport on the day of arrival and then report it to the immigration police.

So the search should be streight forward in the computer base...

But then again, this is Thailand so the info about the turist stay is probably not added to the data base before the turist already left the county again..

Do you have any idea how many hotels and guesthouses are in Patong? It would take much longer to try to call each one.

I think you fail to understand the point, the holtels and guesthouses are supposed to make a copy of your passport on the day of arrival and then report it to the immigration police.

So the search should be streight forward in the computer base...

But then again, this is Thailand so the info about the turist stay is probably not added to the data base before the turist already left the county again..

I didn't fail to understand anything, but you did. That is not at all what irish said. What he proposed is not practical.