Pirates free Indonesia-bound Thai tanker after cargo theft

webfact

Worgeordi: No mention of the value or number of tons of diesel oil on board,

maybe it went out empty,and came back empty,now looking to

claim insurance,could that happen in Thailand?facepalm.gif.pagespeed.ce.EuN79TyYk_.gif

regards Worgeordie

I'd put my money on Worgeordie's explanation. It is so Asian. An old rust bucket chartered to transport valuable cargo through the Straits of Malacca. Who insured the cargo, Was the ship certified to carry cargoes of oil. Why would an isolated buyer in Kalimantan source diesel oil so far away. Diesel always was cheaper in Indonesia, Isn't Kalimantan part of Indonesia? cheesy.gif

I too don't believe that the said cargo was ever loaded onto the vessel.

There are multiple forms of comms on a ship right? And no word gets out during the hours of transfer? Yes bunkering takes place, but if it was a genuine hijack surely word would get out Captain Phillips.

So how does this appear to be a genuine hijacking? What evidence?

I agree with the previous poster - collusion.

Your the expert you tell me Captain Philips...

one suspects this tanker would only have radio, and at the outside possibly a V-sat connection/satellite phone and once you are about 20nm from the nearest cell phone tower, no mobile phones either.

One would expect the vessel to have AIS, but that could be switched off, pretty easy as well, so if this is switched difficult to track the vessel

Evidence for hijack - could this be possibly that they were in one of the words piracy hotspots ?

around that part of the world piracy is a daily occurrence

• Like 1

Worgeordi: No mention of the value or number of tons of diesel oil on board,

maybe it went out empty,and came back empty,now looking to

claim insurance,could that happen in Thailand?facepalm.gif.pagespeed.ce.EuN79TyYk_.gif

regards Worgeordie

I'd put my money on Worgeordie's explanation. It is so Asian. An old rust bucket chartered to transport valuable cargo through the Straits of Malacca. Who insured the cargo, Was the ship certified to carry cargoes of oil. Why would an isolated buyer in Kalimantan source diesel oil so far away. Diesel always was cheaper in Indonesia, Isn't Kalimantan part of Indonesia? cheesy.gif
I too don't believe that the said cargo was ever loaded onto the vessel.

Are you a marine surveyor, customs officer, shipping agent or something ?, your basing your assessment on a picture of a vessel with a bit of rust on the hull..? Jeez.. rolleyes.gif

shipments like this are happening every single day in this neck of the woods

BTW the cost of bulk diesel is pretty much the same every where in the region, the cost differential comes from the taxes imposed by the specific country therefore the cost is cheaper in indo, because the indo government puts less tax on it...thumbsup.gif the landed cost is pretty much the same in Indo, Singapore, Malaysia, Indo etc...

To quote Soutpeel, "The only comment I have about this is the vessel should have AIS installed so they can be tracked, so even if they where hijacked, and the pirates were smart enough to know to switch off the AIS/disable it, last know position would be easy to figure out, bearing and speed."

The key word here is "should". Just like MH370, which "should" have had ............

​Very simple solutions that would have saved tons of money and/or lives, but the companies that own the vessels were/are just too cheap to install the necessary systems. And, since there are no regulations requiring them to, they won't.

To quote Soutpeel, "The only comment I have about this is the vessel should have AIS installed so they can be tracked, so even if they where hijacked, and the pirates were smart enough to know to switch off the AIS/disable it, last know position would be easy to figure out, bearing and speed."

The key word here is "should". Just like MH370, which "should" have had ............

​Very simple solutions that would have saved tons of money and/or lives, but the companies that own the vessels were/are just too cheap to install the necessary systems. And, since there are no regulations requiring them to, they won't.

correct me if I am wrong, but I always understood that above a certain gross tonnage AIS was mandatory on a vessel ?

but although the cost on vessel is relatively cheap, believe and AIS type system on a plane becomes a whole different thing cost wise

• Like 1

MT Orapin 4 is a 3800dwt product carrier. She carries 14 crew. Basically she's a coaster. She's unlikely to be carrying GMDSS - probably just VHF. Possibly 2Mhz as well. She's certainly not capable of 22 knots.

Edited by sustento
  • Like 2

The unnamed tanker owner only notified the Thai navy upon getting their tanker back. Taking no chances that the Thai navy would bumble and stumble and the tanker would end up in the hands of human traffickers on some offshore koh. A tanker would come in handy in the human tanker trade.

That hard luck rust bucket should steam immediately for the ship-breaking beach in Bangladesh or Pakistan. Interesting that this hijacking never even got mentioned in the international press. Has piracy become this common?

Yes. It's only if the crew are Western, and even then it may not hit the news.

Somalia has made the world inured to it.

That hard luck rust bucket should steam immediately for the ship-breaking beach in Bangladesh or Pakistan. Interesting that this hijacking never even got mentioned in the international press. Has piracy become this common?

Yes. It's only if the crew are Western, and even then it may not hit the news.

Somalia has made the world inured to it.

actually this hijacking was mentioned this morning on the BBC news, and a bit of a discussion about hijacking for fuel in the region, and apparently, this has been the 4th or 5th case this year alone.

According to that information, last sat nav position, presumable before the alleged hijacking, was on Tuesday 27 May in the Singapore straits, just over one hour out from Singapore. It would appear the event may have happen at 08:24, after slowing to 5.3knots, just after passing Seborak Island before presumably going into zig zag maneuvers, losing last contact at 08:37, not long after after resuming speed back to 6.6knots, off the coast of Sambu Island. Please beware,this is pure-speculation based on the data from the link supplied..Thanks to Boatfreak

See the link above and make your own assessment.

Edited by MK1