Bowe Bergdahl release: US parties clash on Afghan deal

webfact

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Confirmed by Wikileaks: Bowe Bergdahl deserted and tried to contact the Taliban

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2014/06/6_9_2014_5_43.html

Thanks for that link. It answers a lot of questions.

The Army has known all along that Bowe Bergdahl was not only a deserter, but a probable traitor. And since Bergdahl's desertion and effort to make contact with the Taliban occurred before any alleged torture or mistreatment, there will be no Stockholm Syndrome defense for him. The Wikileaks intercepts are a smoking gun. The administration can try to smear the men in Bergdahl's unit all they want, it won't make a difference.

What the Army has known all along was that Bergdahl was discharged from the USCG for being psychologically unfit for duty BEFORE being accepted for combat duty with the Army. He is clearly mentally ill and it's the Army's fault all the way for placing someone like this in a combat unit.

• Like 1

The Army has known all along that Bowe Bergdahl was not only a deserter, but a probable traitor. And since Bergdahl's desertion and effort to make contact with the Taliban occurred before any alleged torture or mistreatment, there will be no Stockholm Syndrome defense for him. The Wikileaks intercepts are a smoking gun. The administration can try to smear the men in Bergdahl's unit all they want, it won't make a difference.

What the Army has known all along was that Bergdahl was discharged from the USCG for being psychologically unfit for duty BEFORE being accepted for combat duty with the Army. He is clearly mentally ill and it's the Army's fault all the way for placing someone like this in a combat unit.

There was awhile there with two wars going that the US just needed bodies and they lowered the enlistment standards and allowed all sorts of waivers for drug use and criminal offenses and paid big re-enlistment bonuses.

That is how Bergdahl slipped through the cracks.

But don't bother with logical questions...the true patriots on here are not interested.

He did ask this question of his squad leader prior to being deployed, yet seems didn't raise any concern.

"The first thing he said was: 'Can I cut off the face of the first Taliban I kill and wear it like a mask?'

http://online.wsj.com/articles/bowe-bergdahls-views-shifted-after-first-taste-of-war-1402101487

If Obama had a white, America-hating, military-dodging, Muslim-speaking, Taliban-loving son, he would name him Bowe.

The parallels are uncanny, when you think about it. Obama doesnt really care that much for white people, so you must be something really special to enter the circle of trust.

Denounce your country. Check.

Leave your military group and go awol. Check.

Get six military men killed trying to find and protect you. Check.

Join up with the enemy. Check.

Orchestrate your release for five of your new Muslim brothers. Check.

Edited by pmarlin
  • Like 1

If Obama had a white, America-hating, military-dodging, Muslim-speaking, Taliban-loving son, he would name him Bowe.

The parallels are uncanny, when you think about it. Obama doesnt really care that much for white people, so you must be something really special to enter the circle of trust.

Denounce your country. Check.

Leave your military group and go awol. Check.

Get six military men killed trying to find and protect you. Check.

Join up with the enemy. Check.

Orchestrate your release for five of your new Muslim brothers. Check.

When you have to make things up to maintain your position then you know you have already lost the argument.

Bowe Bergdahl obviously had nothing to do with orchestrating his own release.

Ofcourse, you can easily prove you didn't just pull that humungous fabrication out of your backside with supporting links.

• Like 1

On his way back to the US right now. Be interesting to see how he is accepted in the coming days, weeks and months. I doubt he will be getting any welcome home visits by the lads in his company.

Given the backlash over this, I doubt there will be a full on welcome home ceremony, he will enter and slip as quietly into the country as he slipped out of his Patrol Base !!

He should not be given a heroes welcome, as he's not a hero, the heroes came home with the Stars and Stripes draped over their remains.

• Like 2

On his way back to the US right now. Be interesting to see how he is accepted in the coming days, weeks and months. I doubt he will be getting any welcome home visits by the lads in his company.

Right now the guy just needs to be given some space to see his folks and be left alone for a bit to get his head on straight...although with the recent news of his USCG history its sounding less and less like his head may never have been screwed on straight.

The father did this kid no favors homeschooling him in a mountain cabin.

Soldiers getting high? That's never happened before. Next thing you know, they will be consorting with loose women.

cheesy.gif

You think thats funny that the guy next to you that your life depends on might be stoned or high off his a$$?

Or the life of your grandson...or any other soldier risking their life?

You and I have a very different sense of humor.

Soldiers getting high? That's never happened before. Next thing you know, they will be consorting with loose women.

cheesy.gif

You think thats funny that the guy next to you that your life depends on might be stoned or high off his <deleted>?

Dearie me - climb down off that horse. I was laughing at UG's sarcasm.

cheesy.gif
You think thats funny that the guy next to you that your life depends on might be stoned or high off his <deleted>?

Dearie me - climb down off that horse. I was laughing at UG's sarcasm.

Its so difficult to tell sarcasm from an emoticon rolling on the floor laughing.

Pretty funny method you have when someone disagrees with you, eh? Accuse them of being on their high horse.

Some might consider your response to be "holier than thou". Which is just more tit-for-tat.

Its so difficult to tell sarcasm from an emoticon rolling on the floor laughing.

Pretty funny method you have when someone disagrees with you, eh? Accuse them of being on their high horse.

Some might consider your response to be "holier than thou". Which is just more tit-for-tat.

coffee1.gif

I supported this at first, but the more that I read about it, the more skeptical I become. For me, it hinges on whether Bowe Bergdahl was a Taliban sympathizer before he was imprisoned, or not.

So in other words you've made a snap decision and the deal was not worth it so leave him to rot in hell?

I always believed that US military philosophy was that we never leave a brother soldier alive or dead without bringing him home.

Hence the ongoing repatriation of dead soldiers from Vietnam.

Bush of course changed all that and never attended one single soldiers funeral. Mere pawns on the chessboard that would lose him face.

Some years ago the Washington Post reported that the Bush administration ordered the Pentagon to prevent any news coverage of the bodies of US troops being sent home from Iraq. The blackout on casualties was part of the attempt by the White House to recast the nightmare in Iraq as a good news story.

Since the end of the Vietnam War, presidents have worried that their military actions would lose support once the public glimpsed the remains of US soldiers arriving at air bases in flag-draped coffins, wrote the Posts White House reporter Dana Milbank. To this problem, the Bush administration found a simple solution: It ended the public dissemination of such images by banning news coverage and photography of dead soldiers homecomings on all military bases.

Propaganda of course and seen through the eyes of world we all knew what the neocons were about.

However I guess if we spooled back John McCain would be a traitor turned by the Vietcong?

Bush and Cheney avoided the draft and Vietnam but were big critics of McCain.

Let's give Bergdahl the benefit of doubt. He had the courage to be there unlike a lot of his critics.

Edited by Jay Sata
  • Like 1

I supported this at first, but the more that I read about it, the more skeptical I become. For me, it hinges on whether Bowe Bergdahl was a Taliban sympathizer before he was imprisoned, or not.

So in other words you've made a snap decision and the deal was not worth it so leave him to rot in hell?

I always believed that US military philosophy was that we never leave a brother soldier alive or dead without bringing him home.

Hence the ongoing repatriation of dead soldiers from Vietnam.

Bush of course changed all that and never attended one single soldiers funeral. Mere pawns on the chessboard that would lose him face.

Some years ago the Washington Post reported that the Bush administration ordered the Pentagon to prevent any news coverage of the bodies of US troops being sent home from Iraq. The blackout on casualties was part of the attempt by the White House to recast the nightmare in Iraq as a good news story.

Since the end of the Vietnam War, presidents have worried that their military actions would lose support once the public glimpsed the remains of US soldiers arriving at air bases in flag-draped coffins, wrote the Posts White House reporter Dana Milbank. To this problem, the Bush administration found a simple solution: It ended the public dissemination of such images by banning news coverage and photography of dead soldiers homecomings on all military bases.

Propaganda of course and seen through the eyes of world we all knew what the neocons were about.

However I guess if we spooled back John McCain would be a traitor turned by the Vietcong?

The Bush WH said they removed the photos of the fallen soldiers flag draped coffins out of respect for the fallen service-members families. That resulted in some families speaking up and saying they were proud their sons & daughters had been receiving a heroes' welcome and requested the photos be allowed again.

Ofcourse, it might have been an innocent mistake, after all, Cheney had never seen military service. I forget how many deferments he had received.

Edited by ClutchClark

No snap decision here, but, NO, I do not think that trading FIVE major war criminals for one deserter - who possibly collaborated with the enemy as well - was worth it.

• Like 1

If this man was really a returned prisoner of war then he would have been all over the news networks and Obama would be milking it for every PR Cent that could be had. The fact he has been hidden away from all the media and flown back to the US in secret, sort of tells me that all isn't as it is being spun by the politicians. The Whitehouse must be in a headspin at the moment as to what to do and are probably hoping the ISIS slaughtering their way to baghdad is going to take away the attention from this man

• Like 2

I'm only surprised Obama, Kerry and Hagel weren't in San Antonio to greet him on the tarmac. Like they did at all the other photo ops they had.

They will keep him well under wraps until he has mastered the story he is supposed to relate to the press.

• Like 2

The shame of all of this is the politics being played by people. This guy was a captive, regardless of the circumstances, he was held against his will. He was brought home. The circumstances of his capture remain somewhat unclear. He is not a hero and he was never touted as such.

He has been brought home as the US tries to do with it's men and women in the military, whether they are injured, dead or alive.

Politics are being played on both sides. The administration not only broke the law, but they violated the rule against bargaining with terrorists. They don't get a pass on their illegal and unethical behavior, just because they try to spin it in their favor.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Politics are being played on both sides. The administration not only broke the law, but they violated the rule against bargaining with terrorists. They don't get a pass on their illegal and unethical behavior, just because they try to spin it in their favor.

Oh don't go off on that old chestnut, Obama isn't the first to negotiate for hostages.

Reagan did it to get elected.

The stories of him being mistreated during his capture are starting to filter into the media. To me the fact they have kept the man incommunicado since his release says they have been schooling him in what to say when they finally do put him in front of the cameras. I don't go for the " hes not psychologically ready to be made public " crap. Any other soldier having been captured and released would be over the moon to be home.

The Whitehouse has been furiously trying to come up with a way of defusing this trainwreck and have now come up with the " make out he has been mistreated during his stay " Even though the Taliban say he was very co operative during his stay.

The stories of him being mistreated during his capture are starting to filter into the media. To me the fact they have kept the man incommunicado since his release says they have been schooling him in what to say when they finally do put him in front of the cameras. I don't go for the " hes not psychologically ready to be made public " crap. Any other soldier having been captured and released would be over the moon to be home.

The Whitehouse has been furiously trying to come up with a way of defusing this trainwreck and have now come up with the " make out he has been mistreated during his stay " Even though the Taliban say he was very co operative during his stay.

Well, we don't have to wonder where your sympathies lie, you believe the Taliban over your own Gov't.

As for Bergdahl, maybe the reason they have kept him out of the public eye is because he went through weeks of debriefing in the hopes we could get some useful intel on the habits of his captors--our enemies.

Or maybe they kept him from the public because he is crazy as batshit right now.

• Like 1