Heavy rains set to lash most parts of Thailand

webfact

Gotta hand it to the General. Not only can he restore order, clean up the police, tackle corruption, actually have people arrested and bring peace to Thailand but it seems he even managed to delay the rainy season until everyone was ready. The man is a miracle worker.

I wonder if he'd fancy a month in Brazil in charge of the England team?

Mission Impossible!!

Thailand’s rainy season is now expected to begin in early June after the onset was delayed from Mid-May.

"​The Thai Bureau of Meteorology blamed disgruntled weather spirits for the delay"

thumbsup.gif

Up here north of Chiang Mai we have had the wettest summer I remember in eight years. Last two years we had to water the lawn like crazy, but this year we broke out the hose about four times. Today, the Mae Taeng River is running very, very high from the rains over the past few days. No shortage of water up here!

T -

I'm in Chiang Puak and I can't remember the last day without rain. But the guys I ride with down in thr Hang Dong area said yesterday was the only day they got any real rain in 2 weeks. Shows how localized a lot of the rain is.

According to the original post:

BANGKOK, 2 June 2014 (NNT) – Thunderstorms are expected across all regions of Thailand as monsoons are rolling in from the Southwest.

But if you go to the link in that post, Chiang Mai will get all of 8.9 mm's of rain in the next 4 days:

http://weather.thaivisa.com/chiang-mai/chiang-mai/

We've had torrential downpours north of the city almost every day for the last week. It will be nice to have a break from the rain!

Here in Khon Kaen province our tractor man told us to plant the rice pretty damn quick. We had the seed on hand so I went out and threw it around and then he disced it in. The rain played coy for a few days but eventually a moderate thunderstorm brought the young green rice up. Last night it rained steadily all night. My FIL actually drove out to our place today, worried that our paddy might have been overly flooded. No fear, the soil absorbed it and the rice is thriving.

This is what I love about the land and the people here. The climatic cycles allow for abundance in proportion to the understanding that people bring into the relationship they have with their natural environment.

Don't know if I'm learning fast but I'm learning.

• Like 2

I have been hearing we are going to get rains for the past 3 weeks, but have yet to see any significant amount of rain. I guess sooner or later they are bound to get it right.

However you do not know whether the amount of actual rain was in agreement with the forecasts during the past three weeks.wink.png

Gotta hand it to the General. Not only can he restore order, clean up the police, tackle corruption, actually have people arrested and bring peace to Thailand but it seems he even managed to delay the rainy season until everyone was ready. The man is a miracle worker.

I wonder if he'd fancy a month in Brazil in charge of the England team?

He wouldn't do that. He's on a winning streak. Why join up with a loser.

In a curious but positive coincidence. The delay in paying the farmers coincided exactly with the delay in the rainy season. They now have the money to plant again, just in time for the needed rain to fall for planting.

Sometimes things fall together well in unexpected and good ways.

Nobody gets credit for this one, but good news is good news.

• Like 1

San Kamphaeng. east of Chiang Mai. The last 2 nights we've had incredible storms. Very, very heavy rain. Hurricane strength winds blowing from all directions, thunder, lightning. Serious stuff. So far tonight nothing smile.png

In the last few years there seems to have been an increase in the severity of small storm cells that wreak havoc over a small path. Major damage to mature trees (12+ metres in height).

Edited by MESmith

In a curious but positive coincidence. The delay in paying the farmers coincided exactly with the delay in the rainy season. They now have the money to plant again, just in time for the needed rain to fall for planting.

Sometimes things fall together well in unexpected and good ways.

Nobody gets credit for this one, but good news is good news.

my wife's father hasn't been payed, he's number 3000 in the queue. I expect him to get paid and if he needed the money i would have lent it but he's very proud.

Ok it is rain you want Then I will allow it to pour but be careful at what you ask for. Last time someone asked for got more than they could want.cheesy.gif Oh get your dingy's ready and not those dangling ones ROFLMAO.w00t.gif

Why would the temperature's be expected to increase in a rain storm. Humidity will rise but I see no correlation to higher temperatures,or is this phenomena special to Thailand.

You're right. Rain should make it cooler overall. More water in the ground means more evaporation later on (since evaporation is a cooling process). Physics is physics, even in Thailand. Bring on the wet season. clap2.gif

Since they made this announcement,we have not had a drop we were doing quite nicely before it.

Much the same here, bit of drizzle one night, but that was about it.

Is Michael Fish working at the Thai weather bureau now?