What is the correct visa in my situation?

OK. I can understand the no more border run thing... Here is my situation

USA citizen, Philipina wife. We rent an apartment and have a lease. I am disabled, neither of us work, we live on a pension. I am 43 and she is 31.

As I remember it, after getting 2 double-entry tourist visas, thus being here for a year, they will not give TV any more or will give only single entry, and even then limit how many.

I am sure there is no way the Kingdom could think of all cases of falangs living here, but I am wondering what to do.

If I go to Poipet for my next border run, I was told I will only get 7 days. Another company goes to Ban Laem and swears I will get my full 30 days. I have used the border run 4 times since returning to the Kingdom in January; my wife, only getting 15 days, had been 7 times so she went to get a dual entry in Vientiane. For her, paying 1900 for a 30 day extension when a border run is only 700 may not make sense - so she may only get 4 months out of the dual entry.

We would really like some advice. I can manage my disability here with access to medicine where in USA I can't afford to live with any dignity, and in Philippines, there are few of my medicines and those few cost more than USA prices.

Thoughts? (and... no, I really can't do an ED visa as I can't really show up for classes too often and also SSDI says if you can go to school, you aren't disabled.)

If you only have 2 tourist visa you should not have any problem getting another 2 entry visa. I suggest when you apply you have some proof of your income with you to show.

From reports I have seen the are limiting border entries to a max of 3 now.

I think your wife shroud get the extension for her tourist visa entries.

You only have to attend class for 4 hours a week if you take a language course to be able to get an extension based upon going to school.

"Thoughts? (and... no, I really can't do an ED visa as I can't really show up for classes too often and also SSDI says if you can go to school, you aren't disabled.)"

I think I just read on another topic that you can do the lessons using Skype.

Check with the forum sponsor Walen School.

Good luck.

Since you already are in Thailand it is not a new visa but rather recommendations for how to extend your current permission of stay, that you require and basically it seems like you only have two options:

1) If you have 10 million baht to invest than you can seek a one year's extension of stay according to paragraph 2.5.B of the current Police Order; or

2) Enrolling for study under which you can seek a one year's extension of stay according to paragraph 2.9 of the current Police Order.

Someone mentioned health resons under paragraph 2.25 but such an extension is only possible for 90 days. Whether such an extension can be further extended or not, I cannot really say.

Good luck to you!

Why not a ED visa ?. It's only 2 hours, twice a week.

SSDI says if you can go to school, you aren't disabled

Apparently his disability pension could be put at risk. Not sure how strict they are about "attending" lessons on line.

It sounds as though they can be quite unpleasant about what they consider unreported changes to your status.

NOTE: If we find that you gave us false information
on purpose, your benefits will be stopped. For the first
violation, your benefits will be stopped for six months;
for the second violation, 12 months; and for the third, 24
months. Also, if you do not report a change, it may result
in your being paid too much. If you are overpaid, you
will have to repay the money.

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10153.pdf

Edited by Suradit69

ED Visa... The one I have is the one you should get... I can tell you more if you message me as I can't post the details in here....

"I can't post the details in here...."

Sounds like a great deal. What could possibly go wrong?

• Like 2

Unless he blabs to the social security administration how will they know he is taking classes. I do not believe they have investigators checking on this stuff in Thailand, yes in the states but not likely here

It really sounds like the OP needs to consider some other options for places to live as it will be hard to stay long term or until he hits 50. If he cannot drag himself to a class a few hours a week, the education visa is his only choice it does appear.

Edited by moe666

Do it like I do in a very similar situation - apart of I'm single.

I cancelled the lease for the house, will come to Thailand in 3 weeks to sell off my belongings and look for a different country to spend my pension.

Sure I'll miss the Thai food but I won't miss the administrative hurdles for foreigners as in other countries you can buy property easy, get 10 years visa etc. To me it looks like Thailand dosn't want foreigners other than short term tourists, so I go...

Bye,

Derk

Edited by DerkMR
  • Like 1

If you can afford to get Ed visa (Education visa) then sign up in private language school. I am not sure if your wife will also get a visa based on your Ed visa or not. If not then she should also sign up for the language course. It will cost almost 20K to 30K each but you get a 12 months or 15 months visa. Of course I heard you get the visa for 3 months at a time. When you are 50 then you can get retirement visa which cost you only 2000 a year.

Unless he blabs to the social security administration how will they know he is taking classes. I do not believe they have investigators checking on this stuff in Thailand, yes in the states but not likely here

It really sounds like the OP needs to consider some other options for places to live as it will be hard to stay long term or until he hits 50. If he cannot drag himself to a class a few hours a week, the education visa is his only choice it does appear.

They could easily ask for verification of his visa status in Thailand, possibly via the embassy. When I was working and I used to claim foreign earned exclusion on my income tax, I had to declare the conditions of my residency in the country where I was working. If he announces that he is here on an education visa/extension or if he has an education visa but claims he's here on some other basis, he's putting his only source of income at risk for at least six months.Is it likely, probably not. Is it possible, yes. And if he is found to be breaking the rules at some point, he could have to pay back money to the government.

The embassy knows very well that at his age he's not eligible for a retirement extension so the question could easily be raised as to how is he managing to remain in Thailand.

Just today I got a letter from Social Security asking me, as they seem to do each year, to confirm my address, whether I'm working etc. You might feel comfortable telling lies on government documents, but it doesn't sound like the O/P has the luxury of easily foregoing 6 months pension if he is caught out. I have no reason to lie on any report, but even if I thought it would somehow benefit me to do so, I just wouldn't want to risk it. He can decide for himself and he's still got 7 years until he can get a retirement extension, so this wouldn't be a long term solution anyway.

I'm not trying to pontificate about morality or honesty or whatever, I'm just saying this sort of thing amounts to gambling and it doesn't sound like the O/P is in a good position to take that risk.

Edited by Suradit69

For ED visa, some school make class online via Skype so you dont need to go anywhere. Just attend the class in front of your computer at home, easy..............

Dangerous precedent - if you can do the course by Skype why do you need a visa? You could do it from your own country.

For ED visa, some school make class online via Skype so you dont need to go anywhere. Just attend the class in front of your computer at home, easy..............

Dangerous precedent - if you can do the course by Skype why do you need a visa? You could do it from your own country.

Its just an arrangement with the school. Its all legal and working perfectly. My bf is in this situation since 3 years now. Study Thai via skype.

And no problems at all for anyone.

why don't you go and live in the philippines where they like tourists and it is easy to go down to immigration and renew your visa. You only have to leave the country once every 2 years.

Seems like it would be perfect for you in your case, and it would also save you alot of money and alot of hassle.

ED Visa... The one I have is the one you should get... I can tell you more if you message me as I can't post the details in here....

"I can't post the details in here...."

Sounds like a great deal. What could possibly go wrong?

It IS a great deal however the Forum rules are VERY strict... And posting any further details will simply get the post deleted. I ENCOURAGE the OP to contact me DIRECTLY so I can share my personal experience which will solve his problem

Its just an arrangement with the school. Its all legal and working perfectly. My bf is in this situation since 3 years now. Study Thai via skype.

And no problems at all for anyone.

I can't see a 43 year old man that is totally uninterested in any "real studying" doing this for 7 years. And also paying those fees for 7 years. Neither online or in a real school.

• 1 month later...

I have researched this and think ED visa is your only option until age 50. Can I ask what your disability is? Not being nosy but think it is important. If you meet a blue book listing I don't think they would consider a 4 hour a week class SGA.

Other options is go to the Philippines. They will give you a visa if over 35 and your SSDI is at least $1500. Other option is Cambodia. You both could get a visa for around $280 each.