Border run crackdown leads to stampede towards Vientiane Consulate

The recent crackdown by the authorities on perennial border runners is causing a mass influx of "tourists" at the Vientiane Consulate. Someone posted today on the Bangkok Expats page on Facebook that there were more than 600 people at the consulate this morning ... a 5 hour wait, even for those who arrived before 8:30.

1. Avoid Mondays and Thursdays at the consulates/embassies. That's when the visa tour agencies arrive.

2. Go to Savannakhet. It's quieter and less hassle.

• Like 2

600 that's a lot of people - was this an estimate or actual count? "someone posted" is not too reliable - perhaps a reverse flash mob - if one doesn't want a crowd start a rumor of a crowd.

1. That sounds logical.

2. How do you know?

coffee1.gif

600 that's a lot of people - was this an estimate or actual count? "someone posted" is not too reliable - perhaps a reverse flash mob - if one doesn't want a crowd start a rumor of a crowd.

1. That sounds logical.

2. How do you know?

coffee1.gif

Here it is then, a first-hand account: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bkexpats.kc/permalink/886804004680189/

How do you know?

Wake up and smell the coffee coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Actually that you got ticket number 700 means nothing. The visa agents outside get a lot of numbers.and then try to sell them to people outside.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

When I was there around may 13 there was 700 people. I know because they give queue numbers and the highest number was around 700

So you rolled up on a Thurday or Friday and you were seeing the weekly numbers figure ?

• Like 2

When I was there around may 13 there was 700 people. I know because they give queue numbers and the highest number was around 700

So you rolled up on a Thurday or Friday and you were seeing the weekly numbers figure ?

Or they just let the queue numbers run to 999 before going back to 001 even if it takes a few weeks.

• Like 1

Or they just let the queue numbers run to 999 before going back to 001 even if it takes a few weeks.

That's an interesting theory, but I do not think it is correct. The numbers are given out on laminated pieces of card - I could see people queueing up with their nice official-looking laminated numbers early on in the day.

I was given a ticket where the number had been hand-written onto some paper. The laminated numbers only went up to about 400. If you were right, they would have laminated numbers all the way up to 999.

The consulate says that they stop accepting applications after 11.30AM, but everybody who got a ticket was served, some people after 2PM. So if you do decide to go, don't panic about the 11.30AM cutoff time. You still have to deal with a long, long wait though.

Yes the OP is right. It was horrendous yesterday. Was there at 8.45am and didn't hand in my passport until just before 1.30pm.

Was a living hell in that heat. Avoid Mondays that's all I can say.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 2

Anyone know how busy they are on Tuesdays or Wednesdays since the crackdown?

I was there on the 20th of May (Tuesday) 7.45 am and the queue was already snaking to about 150 people.

Sent from my SM-T211 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I was there too on Tuesday 20 May, but at 10am and most of the crowds had left by then. I was done in 20 minutes.

Mondays and Thursdays are the days to avoid.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Last Wednesday arrived at about 09:30 not busy. All done and back out onto the street within 15 mins. Same with the pick up at 13:30 the next day. 15 mins.

Some people have posted in the past to arrive near the 11:30 time, the rush is over. Everyone says get there early when it opens, 1 hour before, get a number... Seems like everyone does this and thats the peak busy time. I think its a valid point.

I was in Vientiane and at Thai consulate 28.5.2014 at around 11 AM, I was nearly alone, 2-4 people with me applying for Visa.

wink.png

Made a Non Immigrant O for staying with my children in TH, never in a queue! thumbsup.gif

Picked up my visa next day, 1:50 PM easy! smile.png

I was, until now only at Savannaketh for border runs, so never at the Thai Consulate,

but the border there is worth the longer trip, if you do not want shopping special things in the big Duty Free style Vientiane border.

Border Savannaketh, has only one, small market style sales booth with limited offerings.

Cheap Cigarettes, alcohol, playing cards-Thais like! ect.

Border in Mukdahan-Savannaketh is a quiet relief to the often hectic Nong Khai-Vientiane border! whistling.gif

Edited by ALFREDO

So, it seems that tourists visits have not fell yet :-)

A lot of those guys are probably former border runners caught out by the recent crackdown. To work or reside in Thailand for longer, they are now queueing up for double entry tourist visas.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Another question about crossing border into Vientiane/laos

Has anyone flown into Udon on the 6am Nok Air flight and travelled upto Nong Khai border?

If yes, how long is it taking to get issued the visa on arrival into laos?

Are the queues long for people all filling out applications and waiting to get passport back with laos visa?

Any time estimates would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

LL

• 1 month later...

Any refused tourist visas? Or any refused double entry? Any red stamps given? Read in past Savannakhet is limited to issuing two visas per person wheras Vientiane can issue many more. Can a genius please confirm

Edited by ilocos