Emirates chief asks why no fighter jet tracked MH370

webfact

Seems like every thread on TV descends into verbal abuse.....

I've not read every thread since there are just too many and I have other options. That being said, there are threads that are civil, enlightening, educational, controversial and inspiring.

There are also many threads that are platforms for crude, rude, hateful, biggoted and uncivil postings. When I come across those, I depress the "All mighty" power switch.

Sad and dark hearts cry out for attention. If I deny acknowledgment, they disappear for want of nourishment.

• Like 1

Why would you need to turn it off in the first place

Let me give you just one of many reasons. Say the little box starts smoking and getting a little hot and then a small fire breaks out. One would think perhaps the flight deck crew may wish to cut power to affected equipment to prevent the airplane burning up in the sky....

The resident TV experts on everything perhaps just don't get the big picture?

rolleyes.gif

And the little box that is smoking and telling the world where the plane is just happens to be on the same circuit the radio works on so the pilot can't issue a Mayday ?

A plane burning up in the sky as you suggest tends to quickly fall out of the sky and not disappear.

I'm also curious as to you telling us of the other " Many reasons " for being able to simply switch off a vital piece of equipment.

Please do enlighten us ignorant TV experts

I see a very big picture indeed only not the same you see it appears whistling.gif

No, it wouldn't be on the same circuit. He, and others have given valid reasons, if you don't want to accept that, that is your problem.

Of, by the way, I have about 30 years of experience in aviation maintenance. Your experience?

Whatever happened, happened quickly in my view. I base this on the fact that I cannot conceive a large passenger jet could continue flying on the wrong course for 5/6 hours without someone on board telephoning relatives etc. to express concern. After all, there is a great deal of difference looking out of the window from the air between the Chinese landmass and the Indian ocean - even in the dark. You would at least see lights over land.

There must have been around 200 mobile phones on board plus the ones in the seats. No-one used either. Why?

Do you know how many cell phone towers there are in the Southern Indian Ocean…….0

So how would someone be able to make a phone call?

• Like 2

Let me give you just one of many reasons. Say the little box starts smoking and getting a little hot and then a small fire breaks out. One would think perhaps the flight deck crew may wish to cut power to affected equipment to prevent the airplane burning up in the sky....

rolleyes.gif

And the little box that is smoking and telling the world where the plane is just happens to be on the same circuit the radio works on so the pilot can't issue a Mayday ?

A plane burning up in the sky as you suggest tends to quickly fall out of the sky and not disappear.

I'm also curious as to you telling us of the other " Many reasons " for being able to simply switch off a vital piece of equipment.

I see a very big picture indeed only not the same you see it appears whistling.gif

No, it wouldn't be on the same circuit. He, and others have given valid reasons, if you don't want to accept that, that is your problem.

Of, by the way, I have about 30 years of experience in aviation maintenance. Your experience?

Hi beech guy as you have some aviation experience, i was wondering if you remember a few years back that a professional golfer and his entourage were on a private jet in the USA, that some how decompressed slowly, all on board supposedly fell unconscious and the plane flew a couple of thousand miles before crashing at the canadian border……once it ran out of fuel.

Is it possible that this could have happened to a passenger jet? all passengers and crew fell unconscious due to smoke and/or lack of oxygen? would a passenger jet stay on last course set until running out of fuel?

Thank you. Something was very, very fishy about this incident from the start. Why did the major radar installations in the north not pick anything up? Why don't the international aviation bodies compel all commercial Airlines to equip their planes with the $100k satellite tracking device? Considering that this incident is probably going to cost the Malaysian govt. upwards of $10 billion, that would seem like money well spent.

rolleyes.gif

Years of reading TV and posting here makes me more than expert enough wink.png

Whatever happened, happened quickly in my view. I base this on the fact that I cannot conceive a large passenger jet could continue flying on the wrong course for 5/6 hours without someone on board telephoning relatives etc. to express concern. After all, there is a great deal of difference looking out of the window from the air between the Chinese landmass and the Indian ocean - even in the dark. You would at least see lights over land.

There must have been around 200 mobile phones on board plus the ones in the seats. No-one used either. Why?

Do you know how many cell phone towers there are in the Southern Indian Ocean.0

So how would someone be able to make a phone call?

Or...I don't know how many cell phone towers there are in the Southern Indian Ocean, or how someone would be able to make a phone call in that area. :)

To arisaje, yes, familiar with that crash, I suppose something similar to that could happen, but I'm doubtful. As to auto-pilot and navigation systems, they can be programed to fly several legs, turn at waypoints, and maintain altitudes, etc. so yes, they can do quite a lot until the aircraft fuel is depleted.

Mr Kostas what a load of crap, I would imagine that 99.0% of countries would be checking their radars especially military and ask who the f*#** is this in our air space! it is not surprised to be here! scramble the jets check it out. Do you not think. If Burma, Malaysia, Thailand military picked up some bleeps on radar that were no supposed to be there they would or should scramble and check it out.

at any given time there are hundreds of commercial aircrafts in the airspace of most countries. the military would be busy 25 hours a day to check each of them.

coffee1.gif

Mr Kostas what a load of crap, I would imagine that 99.0% of countries would be checking their radars especially military and ask who the f*#** is this in our air space! it is not surprised to be here! scramble the jets check it out. Do you not think. If Burma, Malaysia, Thailand military picked up some bleeps on radar that were no supposed to be there they would or should scramble and check it out.

at any given time there are hundreds of commercial aircrafts in the airspace of most countries. the military would be busy 25 hours a day to check each of them.

coffee1.gif

Under normal circumstances none of those hundreds aircrafts is there unexpected, they know which plane is expected in their airspace at which time and which location, and it is also asked for verification.

So no need for military intervention.

Interesting story in today's Mail online. A British woman and her husband was sailing between India and Phuket and while she was alone on night watch she saw a airplane with flames coming out of it as well as two other aircraft above it. Someone cross checked their route and according to them they where close to one of the potential routes of 370. If I remember correctly they identified possible flight corridors (northern and southern). She have filed a report on what she saw. That would place the aircraft in the Bay of Bengal where the Oz firm said they picked up traces of aircraft metals. The only thing is why did she wait this long to come out with the story??

A guy on an oil rig reported very similar. I heard he has passed away due to an accidental death.

You "heard" he died accidentally? Where did you hear that - did the coffee maker tell you?

You should really consider getting back on your meds!

• Like 1

Interesting story in today's Mail online. A British woman and her husband was sailing between India and Phuket and while she was alone on night watch she saw a airplane with flames coming out of it as well as two other aircraft above it. Someone cross checked their route and according to them they where close to one of the potential routes of 370. If I remember correctly they identified possible flight corridors (northern and southern). She have filed a report on what she saw. That would place the aircraft in the Bay of Bengal where the Oz firm said they picked up traces of aircraft metals. The only thing is why did she wait this long to come out with the story??

A guy on an oil rig reported very similar. I heard he has passed away due to an accidental death.

You "heard" he died accidentally? Where did you hear that - did the coffee maker tell you?

You should really consider purchasing a sense of humour so that you can detect sarcasm easier.

I can reveal the truth about all this....... The plane was beamed up by a passing UFO and taken to Mars. There is evidence to show that the famous 'canals' on mars now have "mom and pop" stores located along their banks, set up by the Chinese passengers to supply the Malaysians. Full story will break in the 'National Enquirer' in the next few months.

You should really consider purchasing a sense of humour so that you can detect sarcasm easier.

Aahh...back on your meds (or under your bridge). Excellent!

Let me give you just one of many reasons. Say the little box starts smoking and getting a little hot and then a small fire breaks out. One would think perhaps the flight deck crew may wish to cut power to affected equipment to prevent the airplane burning up in the sky...

I also have to ask the question as to why the crew need to physically disconnect the transponder when it starts smoking when my Thai house with Thai style electrics has a system that trips the power when it detects a problem. Are we to assume that a multi million Dollar jet doesn't have trip switches installed and yet my cheaply wired Thai house does ?

A poster also said they need to turn off the transponder on land to stop the clutter for the air traffic control. All reasonable I suppose so why can't an automatic switch that cuts the transponder on the runway and yet switches on as soon as the landing gear is raised and the plane is in flight ?

Oh and am still waiting for the many other reasons why it can be switched off manually as well if you have a minute whistling.gif

Some off-topic posts and replies along with conspiracy theory posts have been deleted. This thread is not a rehash of this topic: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/709464-missing-malaysia-airlines-jet-carrying-239-triggers-southeast-asia-search/

Please re-read the OP. This is about

Emirates chief asks why no fighter jet tracked MH370

Stay on topic.

To arisaje, yes, familiar with that crash, I suppose something similar to that could happen, but I'm doubtful. As to auto-pilot and navigation systems, they can be programed to fly several legs, turn at waypoints, and maintain altitudes, etc. so yes, they can do quite a lot until the aircraft fuel is depleted.

The only similar commercial accident would be the Helios Airways crash in 2005. Once the normal contact with ATC was lost, fighter planes were sent up and were able to see that things were not going well in the cockpit.

If something similar had been done with regard to MH370, we might be much closer to knowing what happened.

Edited by RickBradford

The only similar commercial accident would be the Helios Airways crash in 2005. Once the normal contact with ATC was lost, fighter planes were sent up and were able to see that things were not going well in the cockpit.

If something similar had been done with regard to MH370, we might be much closer to knowing what happened.

Excellent point, but in this case, I'm still curious about the change in direction off the coast of Vietnam, versus continuing on, or out into the Pacific.

Let me give you just one of many reasons. Say the little box starts smoking and getting a little hot and then a small fire breaks out. One would think perhaps the flight deck crew may wish to cut power to affected equipment to prevent the airplane burning up in the sky...

I also have to ask the question as to why the crew need to physically disconnect the transponder when it starts smoking when my Thai house with Thai style electrics has a system that trips the power when it detects a problem. Are we to assume that a multi million Dollar jet doesn't have trip switches installed and yet my cheaply wired Thai house does ?

A poster also said they need to turn off the transponder on land to stop the clutter for the air traffic control. All reasonable I suppose so why can't an automatic switch that cuts the transponder on the runway and yet switches on as soon as the landing gear is raised and the plane is in flight ?

Oh and am still waiting for the many other reasons why it can be switched off manually as well if you have a minute whistling.gif

Wow, you really are an expert aren't you. The only trip switches I've seen, were on older aircraft, everything else has circuit breakers, fuses, and current limiters. They usually isolate individual components, or systems. For transponders, codes are assigned while the aircraft is on the ground, Ground and ATC can identify the aircraft, especially in high traffic areas.

Reasons for turning the transponder off, interference with other equipment, internal malfunction, squawking a wrong code or altitude, maintenance, etc. If I'm replacing a transponder part, I may not want to take the power off the whole aircraft, and I don't like installing something when it is switched to the on position.

coffee1.gif

yes but they have approved flight plans and are communicating with ATC and would be sqawarking their given number. Here is an example as to what happens when a plane does not do that.

http://www.allsingaporestuff.com/article/day-singapore-scrambled-her-f16d-fighter-jets

I think in SE Asia it's a little harder to start scrambling jets. You have relatively small countries that are close together and those planes would invariably be violating the airspace of other countries.

A lot of flights from a lot of different countries criss-crossing the area and a lot of communication would be needed.

Oh come on people, the reason they didn't spot it is because it was night shift and they were sleeping.

You have hit the nail on its head precisely, I wrote the same thing somewhere else.Generals were sleeping or were unavailable. Edited by vanillalatte

Are there many mobile-phone signal-masts, in the midst of the Southern-oceans, do you think ?