Curfew lifted in Pattaya, Samui, Phuket

webfact

What about CM for <deleted> sake

CM a different situation... it is both an expat/tourist spot AND an area of interest regarding illegal weapons...

'cos there are too many Red songs!!! .... whilst the irony of "Red Roses to a Blue Lady" may be lost on many CM residents, they still sing "My Love is like a Red Red Rose"; "Red Rose in the Sunset"; "You know this love is like a red, red rose "; "I wish my love was a red, red rose growing in yon garden fair".... oh, it would be just too much for the censors!!!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about CM for <deleted> sake

CM a different situation... it is both an expat/tourist spot AND an area of interest regarding illegal weapons...

Remind me again just where were those recent arms caches found? Mmm. no wait, I remember, Songkhla and Chon Buri, wasn't it. There were some 15 year old weapons found in Chiang Rai, I recall but that's not Chiang Mai.

It's because they can.

• Like 1

How about Bangkok, please Mr General!

Is anyone in Bangkok paying any attention to it? The bars in Soi Cowboy have been rocking till well after 1am.

I heard that, I've been getting the last mrt train back to my apartment, I'll have to check out if Narz is open late this weekend.

Curfew Lifted in Phuket After Decimating Nightlife

By Khaosod English

PHUKET — The military-imposed curfew has been lifted in Phuket after decimating the island’s world-renowned nightlife for twelve days.

The curfew, initially set at 10pm and later moved back to midnight, was lifted in Phuket, Pattaya, and on Samui Island – all popular nightlife destinations – this afternoon. The curfew remains in place for the rest of the country.

"Our revenue has dropped by 70-80%" said Weerawit Kruesombat, chairman of the Patong Beach Entertainment Society. "The damage has caused a chain-reaction, all the way from owners of nightclubs to the nightclub staff, tuk-tuk driver, hotels, and vendors."

Last night, dozens of entertainment representatives rallied in front of a police station on Patong beach to voice their opposition to the curfew.

The demonstrators gave Phuket Governor Maitri Inthusut a letter addressed to the NCPO, asking for the curfew on Phuket to be repealed.

The curfew, imposed by the National Council of Peace and Order (NCPO) hours after it seized power from the previous government on 22 May, initially forbid citizens to leave their residence during the hours of 10 pm to 5 am, but was later eased to between midnight and 4 am.

Mr. Weerawit said that the easing of the curfew did not help improve the situation in Patong at all.

"Some nightlife venues adjusted their hours to open earlier to compensate for the early closing time,” Mr. Weerawit said. "But there were hardly any customers at all, because tourists who visit Patong usually go out to nightclubs around 10 pm or later."

Mr. Weerawit added that the situation was made even worse by the arrival of the rainy season, which is considered to be the annual "Low Season" of tourism in Thailand.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1401788424

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-06-03

Was up in Nong Khai last night, very quiet but might as well not be a curfew. The armed soldiers on a few intersections in Udon gone, along with the large 'checkpoint' (never checked anything anyway) on the highway to NK. A few very bored looking soldiers at the immigration and customs checkpoint that has been at entrance to NK forever. Haven't checked the nightlife in Udon since Sat. but it seems to be doing ok. Unless enforced, the curfew will go away on its own.

will they let us hear the English language radio stations again and watch the BBC, CNN etc news on tv?

The BBC news channel is working on my TV, same as Al Jazeera and RT. CNN isn't there but I'm not sure it ever was as I never watched it anyway.

Can hear the patter of the sex-pats feet already heading to the highway and the airport.

Not really. I prefer to listen to sounds other than that.

"Sometimes the deaf are the best listeners".

This is nuts. If I get in my car at 1.00am in Pattaya, how far can I drive until I'm breaking the midnight/4am curfew?. 1/10/50 miles?.

In my view they either have a curfew or they don't. This 'pleasing' of certain areas/people whist keeping other in check is very sad.

• Like 2

So it has been lifted in Samui but not nearby Phangan or Tao? It was never enforced in those two places anyway, except the inconvenience of not having 7/11 open all night. I'm sure everyone will be in bed by midnight for the Full Moon Party. Very tinpot.

Edited by edwardandtubs

slipperylobster, on 03 Jun 2014 - 17:45, said:

sex wins again

What a small minded comment. You obviously have not touted around these tourist spots much where there are many families, couples and business people.