Curfew lifted in Pattaya, Samui, Phuket

webfact

There may have officially been a curfew in Samui, but in practice, meh. Even the 7/11's and Family Marts started ignoring it after about four days. I have yet to see a soldier on the island... aside from a few Navy seamen over in Nathon.

I've been loving the mainstream media's coverage of this; from their headlines, you'd think the whole country has come unglued!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to walking street last weekend as I was curious about the curfew's effect. Haven't visited in a couple of years, the street was absolutely packed at around 9pm, a bit of surprise. I suppose it'll ease and the party mood go flat as there's no deadline any more tongue.png Was kind of a good thing.

Laughable game here in Pattaya though. In an effort to show the NCPO what an orderly house they (the local police) really run the street by us on Pattaya Klang was cleared of the motorbikes and hire cars that make it impossible to park on any other day. Curfew lifted, bikes flood back on to the street and we can all carry on as if nothing really happened.

This is nuts. If I get in my car at 1.00am in Pattaya, how far can I drive until I'm breaking the midnight/4am curfew?. 1/10/50 miles?.

In my view they either have a curfew or they don't. This 'pleasing' of certain areas/people whist keeping other in check is very sad.

The curfew has been lifted in Pattaya City as it said in the reports, so you can drive to the boundary of Pattaya City. If you don't know where that is I'm sure Pattaya City Hall will be able to tell you.

This will not save the tourist number of this year. The image of the country is damaged already. Who after all wants to spend his holidays in fascist military dictatorship?

Obviously not you. Off to sunny Venezuela then?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What about CM for <deleted> sake

Thai curfew lifted in three tourist hotspots...The Military decided that CM was not a hot spot...a hot bed of dissention...maybe...

This will not save the tourist number of this year. The image of the country is damaged already. Who after all wants to spend his holidays in fascist military dictatorship?

Gosh, i feel quite the opposite.. I think Tourism will flourish now. Anyone informed of the real situation, will be chompin at the bit to visit or live here. So many Countries in the World would benefit greatly, if they learned to do this, as the Thais do. When we have alleged corruption in the US Politics, it almost always goes completely unaddressed and is constantly swept under the rug. The corruption there is never-ending. The People in the US have no power and the Military and Police are brainwashed to be against the people.. Other Countries seem to have all out Civil wars in an order to try and end corruption.

Thank the Heavens that Thailand knows how to have a peaceful "reset" or "revolution" and restore order ... The world should learn from them. It has seemed like a huge comradery here to me since this started. Thais love and trust their Military and the military loves the People.. I'm very impressed with the way this has been handled. Suspected corruption in Politics does need addressing and this is one place it gets dealt with. :)

It's Totally unlike what my Western Friends say they hear from the MSM. Many have said, "how is the war that is going on over there" or "are you locked inside your house" after hearing CNN and others spin and exploit it. I sure wish the US military would assure "We the People" that they'd stand against corruption. In the US the Military takes an Oath, to defend the Constitution against Domestic enemies, but I've surely never seen the Military act or follow that part of their Oath. The US should stop creating so many foreign entanglements, mind its own business, stop criticizing and learn to handle its own problems. Believe me, they have enough problems that need working on.

• Like 1

Actually, quite a few of my friends from different countries around the world are coming here next month (plane tickets have been booked!)

Two of them are even bringing their eight month old daughter with them. They are all flying into BKK en route to USM but I'll go up to meet them when they arrive in the country and we'll spend a few days there shopping.

As for those who decide to rebook or cancel their vacations because of this, I say good riddance! If you are dumb enough to believe the crap the foreign press is shovelling, then you should stay home and lock your doors. I'd be more worried about travelling pretty much anywhere in Detroit or insert any American city here than I would anywhere in Thailand... Even in the deep South.

Oh and your reference to fascism... have you seen the militarization of the police in the States? The image of this country is only damaged by the corporately controlled media in the West; now there's your fascism.

I grew up in Detroit and I'd have to agree with you Alois about everything you stated.. Nice Post!! I also have several friends coming in, in the next month or so. They all seem to be the well informed type and have no fear of what is taking place here.

As long as Thailand continues to keep the sex tou...sorry holiday makers happy then all is well in the world.

I clap2.gif Junta xxx

Well there are a lot of Russian couples around and I am sure they do not like to play Cinderella every night on their holiday.

You obviously have no clue what ya talking about nothing going on in CM, and no reason for the Curfew

How droll. Do you REALLY think there is "nothing going on in Chiang Mai?" Really?

Actually, because there is quite a lot going on in Chiang Mai, they definitely need a curfew to enable the 3am knocks on the doors.

will they let us hear the English language radio stations again and watch the BBC, CNN etc news on tv?

If The Nation managed with the international news, thanks, it all came back on later after I posted the above yesterday, many thanks!

Can you work on the local English language radio stations for today?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Actually, quite a few of my friends from different countries around the world are coming here next month (plane tickets have been booked!)

Two of them are even bringing their eight month old daughter with them. They are all flying into BKK en route to USM but I'll go up to meet them when they arrive in the country and we'll spend a few days there shopping.

As for those who decide to rebook or cancel their vacations because of this, I say good riddance! If you are dumb enough to believe the crap the foreign press is shovelling, then you should stay home and lock your doors. I'd be more worried about travelling pretty much anywhere in Detroit or insert any American city here than I would anywhere in Thailand... Even in the deep South.

Oh and your reference to fascism... have you seen the militarization of the police in the States? The image of this country is only damaged by the corporately controlled media in the West; now there's your fascism.

I grew up in Detroit and I'd have to agree with you Chach, about everything you stated.. Nice Post!! I also have several friends coming in, in the next month or so. They all seem to be the well informed type and have no fear of what is taking place here.

This is nuts. If I get in my car at 1.00am in Pattaya, how far can I drive until I'm breaking the midnight/4am curfew?. 1/10/50 miles?.

In my view they either have a curfew or they don't. This 'pleasing' of certain areas/people whist keeping other in check is very sad.

I live life on life's terms. If it becomes too unbearable, I can move on.

No, all-or-nothing inflexibility would be nuts. And if that were the only choice, these relaxations wouldn't have occurred, so you're basically arguing for a continuation of the midnight curfew everywhere. If the places where the curfew was lifted posed no threat, then it makes perfect sense to lift the curfew in those places while retaining it in others. And there's simply no denying that differences in threat level exist in different places. Perhaps there'll be further relaxations with time in additional areas.

The only "sadness" to this is that any curfews were necessary in the first place.

This is nuts. If I get in my car at 1.00am in Pattaya, how far can I drive

until I'm breaking the midnight/4am curfew?. 1/10/50 miles?.

As long as you are and your way from a Pattaya touristic area to your home/hotel, you should be ok. I would give enough distance for main hotels used by farangs. Let's say 10 km maxi, North and South, enough to allow Russian to return to the Ambassador Hotel.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 1