Can someone quickly break down the Visa rules for an American?

I'm going to visit Thailand for a few weeks. I'm confused on what the rules are for visiting Thailand.

This what I know...

I'm a 44 year old American.

1) 30 day visa for visiting Thailand. You just need your passport and plane ticket.

2) Single entry visa that last 60 days. You can leave and reenter Thailand for another 60 days. You just need your passport and plane ticket.

3) A double entry visa is for 90 days. I can do a run and come back for another 90 days. This is a more complicated process.

I called the Thai embassy in Washington DC. The guy told me that if I wanted to do the double entry visa I have to send my passport with a letter stating why I am requesting a double entry visa.

I'm actually planning on living with my girlfriend in the apartment that she has picked out for us. The problem is I probably can't stay long term unless I can find a teaching position in Bangkok.

Am I correct on my 3 statements. If I am off can you please correct me.

Thank you.

Edited by benj005

1) correct.

2.) Singe entry is for 60 days and can be extended by another 30 days. As it is a single, you can only use it once to enter Thailand.

3.) A double entry is two entries into Thailand, each entry is for 60 days and each entry can be extended by 30 days).

1) correct.

2.) Singe entry is for 60 days and can be extended by another 30 days. As it is a single, you can only use it once to enter Thailand.

3.) A double entry is two entries into Thailand, each entry is for 60 days and each entry can be extended by 30 days).

For the double entry visa do I need to send a letter to the Thai embassy in Washington DC? How should I state the letter? Can I say that I am attempting to find a teaching position? I want my letter to be as professional as possible.

For the single entry visa do I need special paperwork?

Thanks for your help Mario. It's appreciated.

Edited by benj005

I have never heard of anybody having to write a letter to submit with their visa application to justify getting a 2 entry visa.

Just an application form marked for a tourist visa with 2 in the number of entries block.

You probably could get 3 entry visa if you applied at one of the honorary consulates listed here. http://www.thaiembdc.us/dcdp/Thai_Consulate_Directory2

I have never heard of anybody having to write a letter to submit with their visa application to justify getting a 2 entry visa.

Just an application form marked for a tourist visa with 2 in the number of entries block.

You probably could get 3 entry visa if you applied at one of the honorary consulates listed here. http://www.thaiembdc.us/dcdp/Thai_Consulate_Directory2

This is what the guy at the Thai embassy told me. He also gave me the link so I'm going to it soon.

It seems odd that they would require a letter from me stating why I'm requesting a double entry visa.

Edited by benj005

1) Am I allowed to look for work while I'm in Thailand.

2) Once I find work can I then get a work visa?

You can look for work on a tourist visa.

A work visa does not exist. Only a work permit allows you to work here. Then you apply for a non immigrant B visa after the work permit application is done.

Wayned,

I live in New Jersey. Does that matter?

It does not matter. But you would have to travel to Portland to apply because the honorary consulates have not been allowed to accept mail in applications for about a year now.

The nearest location for you is probably at the official consulate in New York. http://thaiconsulnewyork.com/

1) Am I allowed to look for work while I'm in Thailand.

2) Once I find work can I then get a work visa?

You can look for work on a tourist visa.

A work visa does not exist. Only a work permit allows you to work here. Then you apply for a non immigrant B visa after the work permit application is done.

I would apply for the immigrant B visa once I'm able to secure work. Great. I have a teaching position setup for me in South Korea, but if I can locate a teaching position in Thailand I might stay for a year.

Thanks.

Wayned,

I live in New Jersey. Does that matter?

It does not matter. But you would have to travel to Portland to apply because the honorary consulates have not been allowed to accept mail in applications for about a year now.

The nearest location for you is probably at the official consulate in New York. http://thaiconsulnewyork.com/

During my talk today with the Thai embassy in Washington DC I was told that I could send my passport to the Thai embassy in NY. I was going to send my passport and application via UPS, and with a return envelope. I did the same for when I went to South Korea.

Edited by benj005

Ask the DC consulate for a Non-Imm O based on visiting your girlfriend. You can use it for up to 15 months. You can also add a work permit later if that comes up. Have her send you a copy of her Thai ID card, house book and a short note explaining that you are coming to visit her. I prefer the multi-entry as you can come and go as necessary, just have to cross the border every 90 days.

BTW, where in Jersey are you from?

Edited by CMSteve

Ask the DC consulate for a Non-Imm O based on visiting your girlfriend. Have her send you a copy of her Thai ID card, house book and a short note explaining that you are coming to visit her. I prefer the multi-entry as you can come and go as necessary, just have to cross the border every 90 days.

South Jersey. North Wildwood.

Thanks for the help.

Edited by benj005

Ask the DC consulate for a Non-Imm O based on visiting your girlfriend. You can use it for up to 15 months. You can also add a work permit later if that comes up. Have her send you a copy of her Thai ID card, house book and a short note explaining that you are coming to visit her. I prefer the multi-entry as you can come and go as necessary, just have to cross the border every 90 days.

Can she write that in Thai or does it have to be in English? Aslo, can she email the letter to me? Correct?

Her English isn't that great.

Thanks.

Edited by benj005

Ya, DC is the best one for you, unless you go the mail route. i've never seen more than 5 ppl at the DC consulate. It's a quick process and they can mail back to you so you don't have to do another 4hr drive to pick up.

Ask the DC consulate for a Non-Imm O based on visiting your girlfriend. Have her send you a copy of her Thai ID card, house book and a short note explaining that you are coming to visit her. I prefer the multi-entry as you can come and go as necessary, just have to cross the border every 90 days.

Thanks for the help.

In Thai is fine. Its the Thai consulate reading it, so shouldn't be an issue. Another options is to write it in English and just have her sign and send.

Can she write that in Thai or does it have to be in English? Aslo, can she email the letter to me? Correct?

Her English isn't that great.

Thanks.

Ya, DC is the best one for you, unless you go the mail route. i've never seen more than 5 ppl at the DC consulate. It's a quick process and they can mail back to you so you don't have to do another 4hr drive to pick up.

Thanks for the help.

I'm going to have to do the mail route. I don't have a car. I will overnight it UPS w/tracking number so I can get it back in a quick manner.

Thanks.

Maybe the Bangladeshi janitor answered the phone.

I strongly advise you NOT to listen completely to anyone except the Thai Embassy personnel, hopefully an American working there. All this visa stuff is so idiosyncratic and changeable that the only sure way is to go to a Thai Embassy and discuss your need. There are ways with lesser surety, of course, but if this is really important to you, looks like a personal visit is in order.

No insult meant to any answerer on this venue, but we all can read various, alternate, and downright wrong advice here, so I say that "when the doctors disagree," go to the real source. Try not to delay too long after going to a Thai Embassy and making the application... not more than a month at most.

Maybe the Bangladeshi janitor answered the phone.

I strongly advise you NOT to listen completely to anyone except the Thai Embassy personnel, hopefully an American working there. All this visa stuff is so idiosyncratic and changeable that the only sure way is to go to a Thai Embassy and discuss your need. There are ways with lesser surety, of course, but if this is really important to you, looks like a personal visit is in order.

No insult meant to any answerer on this venue, but we all can read various, alternate, and downright wrong advice here, so I say that "when the doctors disagree," go to the real source. Try not to delay too long after going to a Thai Embassy and making the application... not more than a month at most.

I'm leaving in 2 weeks, so I want to get on this pronto. I will take your advice and think about driving to the embassy in nyc.

whistling.gif You have so many things to learn I find it haed to tell you all.

But I presume it will pass, and you will learn, so I'll be polite and say it to you politely.

• No, as an american (I am one also) you will not get a 30 day VISA. What you will get is a 30 day visa exempt entry not stamp a visa..If you arrive like this you may be requested by the AIRLINE to either show a visaa or to buy a further onward (out of Thailand) to a nieghoring country after you arive in Thailand. You can NOT extend this non-visa (visa exempt entry stamp) excep Rgai immigration MAY give you an extra 7 days to leave country since you don't have a visa on that visa exempt entry sramp
  • Not all aprlineds may ask you for that out-of-country ticket, but it is possible they will.
  • To avoid being asked or to avoid it is best to avoid that onward ticket after 30 dayd, it is best to buy a Thai VISA vefore you leave the U.S.
  • Thai visas are normally sold (for a fee) in Thai consulates or possibly the Thai embessy in Washington D.C. There are number of Thai consulates in the U.S, Dallas, Texas and Portland Oregon are of two of those who were found to be very frirndly before. CALL them via phone ans ask about visa before you make a decision, some have different rules and requirements. You CAN get a visa by express or overnight mail from many of them. Or go to the closedt one and you can do it in person. (just make sure you have the fee)
  • I would recommend you get at least a single entry tourist visa or an double entry tourist visa.
  • A single entry is good for a 60 say entry on arrival and may be extended at your nearest immigration in Thailand for qnotehr 30 day for a fee of Thai 1900 Baht.
  • At the present time there is no linit on non visa entries good for 30 days, but that may always be subject to chamge. The Thais are tigentrning up on visa entries for foriegners, but so far there is no limit on non visa exempt entries.
  • A sinfle entry is good for that single entery smd exit, a double is two single entry and exits paired. A double entry tourist visa will require you to exit Thailand after that firt 90 days (60 entry plus 30 extension). Then you renter Thailland and do your 2nd pair of (60 pus 30 days). Therefore a double entry effectively gets you a 180 day stay.
  • It may be possible to get a longer term visa for sting with your THAI WIFE in thailand. Note that i said THAI WIFE in capital letter not thai girlfriend. It used to be possible to stay in Thailand for purose of staying with Thai friends .... but that is very difficult, if not i,possible to get now.
  • If you have legally a Thai CHILD living in Thailand that may be possible, but that would usually mean you arethe sole support of that child.
  • In order to not to make this two long I suggest you tslk to simeone in the Thai wmbassy or consulate you ant to apply such a visa for. They should know the requirements and almost ALWAYS in such a case they will want further doumrnts you and your Thai girlfriend will need to get such a visa approved.
  • Work permits are another thing. You will NOT be able to work in Thailand without a work per,it, at least not legally.
  • To work legally get a job FIRST before you accept work. Your em[loyer will the sponsor you for a work permit, for which you need to go to another Thai counsulate outside of Thailnd where where you will get a work visa. You then return to Thailand with that work visa and got to the Labor Ministry, where they you a work permit.

IMA,

1) So a single entry is 60 days plus another 30. Total 90 days.

2) A double entry visa will net me 180 days.

I still need to fill out the paperwork for the single entry visa. And I need to have it completed before I leave. Correct?

Telling the embassy that I am going to Thailand to visit my girlfriend isn't going to get me more time in Thailand. I guess I shouldn't tell the embassy this as I'm just going to waste my time?

Thanks.

Telling them that you have a Thai girl friend will not help in anyway.

If you look on the NY consulate website you will find that they don't ask for anything but your passport, the application form and the fee to get a tourist visa. I suggest you get a 2 entry visa.

Telling them that you have a Thai girl friend will not help in anyway.

If you look on the NY consulate website you will find that they don't ask for anything but your passport, the application form and the fee to get a tourist visa. I suggest you get a 2 entry visa.

Will do.

Thank you. :)

You should check with the embassy/consulate. I have friends here on a Non-Imm O. Just visiting friends. Issued in 2014.

You will not get a non-o visa for visiting friends anymore anywhere. That was stopped more than 2 years ago.

Ah. Got it.

Thanks.