73 taxi drivers arrested in Phuket anti-mafia drive

Lite Beer

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Army is truly kicking ass. Never seen anything like this, anywhere.

In Mexico they didn`t do any progress at all against the drug cartells until they started using the Army and Marines to hunt them down instead of the utter corrupt police force.

BradinAsia, I agree. Singapore is a good example of a benevolent dictatorship, even though they pretend to be a democracy.

When Lee Kwan Yew came to power, part of his philosophy was tbat peasants can't handle freedom, and it was largely made up of peasants.

Of course not everybody is equal in Singapore (not in any other country either, in spite of their governments' protestations that they are)

Egalitarianism is not good, and the only ones who demand it are those on the bottom of the socio/ economic/intellectual stack, those who want handouts instead of making an effort tbemselves.

The last thing tbose on top of tbe stack want is egalitarianism.

Edited by F4UCorsair

I've always said it would take the Thai Army, and many members ridiculed me.

Just shows how rotten the police are here that it takes the Thai Army to do their job for them.

If you read the article you will see that it was the mayor who was rotten, not the police who were transferred by the mayor if they tried to interfere. Mayors are very powerful in Thailand but this one should be getting a very long stretch.

The cops were rotten.....the head cop has been moved out...!

The mayor's rotten too.......the whole lot of administration in Phuket are rotten!

Now they are tearing down the taxi salas (Story on Phuketwan). I like the way things are done at the moment.

Around 0900 today, many of the salas in Kamala had been abandoned.

Now they are tearing down the taxi salas (Story on Phuketwan). I like the way things are done at the moment.

Looks like they haven't gotten to Rawai yet. Just drove along the beachfront and the sala across from Nikitas was going strong as was the sala in front of the family mart on the beach road where the taxis took all the car parking in the public parking spaces. Local boss has been known to accept a bob or two to look the other way, but allowing parking in public spaces, directly in front of family mart, is pushing it.

Looks like they haven't gotten to Rawai yet. Just drove along the beachfront and the sala across from Nikitas was going strong as was the sala in front of the family mart on the beach road where the taxis took all the car parking in the public parking spaces. Local boss has been known to accept a bob or two to look the other way, but allowing parking in public spaces, directly in front of family mart, is pushing it.

Please let me know when they get rid of that load of Scum.It was one of those aggressive ****s who punched me in the face when I sounded my horn to stop him hitting my car.

I will have a few beers when they get rid of all these pea brained morons

• Like 1

I see many people are happy now but this happiness won't be too long, cause tomorrow or after tomorros they will out and will continue well where they finished, the different will be only have to earn a bit more (bigger scam) about lost days in cell .....

Great news lets hope it continues throughout the country and show possible tourists that Thailand is acting to clear up its image.

Thailand is no worse than many other tourist destinations around the world including the UK and many western destinations when it comes to organised crime and scammers like the jet ski operators.

As for corrupt police goodness knows how many have been suspended and jailed in the UK for corruption etc

Whatever happens nothing will stop me staying in Thailand (legally) all you have to do is keep yourself out of trouble and dont stick your nose in others business

WHAT!!!! the Uk full of corrupt cops with many scams................pfffffffffft get real!

Just shows how rotten the police are here that it takes the Thai Army to do their job for them.

If you read the article you will see that it was the mayor who was rotten, not the police who were transferred by the mayor if they tried to interfere. Mayors are very powerful in Thailand but this one should be getting a very long stretch.

The mayor's rotten too.......the whole lot of administration in Phuket are rotten!

True, but the mayor was at the top, he got to get rid of the heads of the police until he had one who would work with him, that police chief is to blame too as really are any of the police who supported this criminal behavior. However I do put more blame on the high up people than the lower ranking officers as they can just find themselves in an impossible situation.

We are eh ......redshirt - ahem cough, it would appear that the power base they had has gone down the s/tter

Now do the same in Patttaya

How misinformed is this and all the 'likes' ?

Phuket is Yellow shirt through and through , get it right.

Fortunately the army doesnt see a colour barrier when it looks at corruption. Maybe you guys should try it.

Edited by zaZa9

We are eh ......redshirt - ahem cough, it would appear that the power base they had has gone down the s/tter

Now do the same in Patttaya

How misinformed is this and all the 'likes' ?

Phuket is Yellow shirt through and through , get it right.

Fortunately the army doesnt see a colour barrier when it looks at corruption. Maybe you guys should try it.

Just as simple as that ....right ?

The power is where the power is - you believe what you like I know better

all you have to do is take a look at who owned Phuket 6 months ago and I'm talking about Police Chief etc - come back when you have educated yourself

This country while PTP sat in the chair was red - only red - I am red

Thais change colour like a Cameleon

Try and keep up

Hard to believe they actually admit this in a press release. Perhaps there is hope.

One of the major advantages of a military coup which gives complete authority and dictatorial powers to the Army chief --

​he does not have to pussy-foot, placate, or pretend. He is able to make decisions, take decisive, ​corrective measures and

not be overly concerned with who may not like it. What other government leader is able to operate so effectively?

​Years ago, a very wise man once told me, "The best possible form of government is a benevolent dictatorship."

I very much agree, but with one caveat: If the dictator dies or stops being benevolent, what happens then?

How does Singapore do it? The people of Singapore seem to be content in general, every country has it ways to work things out.

Seems like Thailand is on the right track.

What a relieve and refreshment at this moment, if this follows through Thailand will regain its image it lost many years ago.

Way to go wai.gif

Singapore may be the best example of a benevolent dictatorship. Even the dictator acknowledges and

makes no apologies for being dictatorial. Rather he makes persuasive arguments to explain (some say

brainwash) why the people are better off under dictatorial rule.

Most Singaporeans I've met seem to agree with the governments explanations.

Thats because they are brainwashed into thinking that. When I lived in Singapore may years ago you couldnt even buy a foreign newspaper

You simply cannot arrest enough of these guys. They have long been a boil on the face of this country. Let us hope they are severely punished. It is so long overdue. They have been behaving as thugs and criminals for years with impunity. Both Abhisit and the Yingbat did not have the cajones to deal with them. Hopefully the mayor will be severely punished too. Perhaps we will have to account for the stolen millions? Accountability is a baby step for a society that wants to be taken seriously. Kudos to the army for cracking down. Now, will they be able to find a judge who is not a wimp, weak, softie unwilling to impose real punishment?

Carry on.

Where in Thailand isn't the admin rotten?

Corruption is a part of people's mindset here in Thailand and it is taught in schools from primary school to university.

Red shirt, Yellow shirt, Army.

It will make no difference.

Its endemic!

Carry on.

Where in Thailand isn't the admin rotten?

Corruption is a part of people's mindset here in Thailand and it is taught in schools from primary school to university.

Red shirt, Yellow shirt, Army.

It will make no difference.

Its endemic!

If everybody thought that way nothing will change, its like learning to walk,one small step at a time.

Actually, many of these boys started out as good local village boys. I've known a few of them, not as a customer, but in the village in one of the seaside communities. Then, they started driving these tuk-tuks & taxis, and became part of the mafia, and like all gangs, either comply with the norms of their peers, or do something else. Those who start out bad become the enforcers, and all the others emulate them. Combine that with collusion with the local administrations and cops and you have the recipe that has existed for many years now. I hope this move will be lasting.

Actually, many of these boys started out as good local village boys. I've known a few of them, not as a customer, but in the village in one of the seaside communities. Then, they started driving these tuk-tuks & taxis, and became part of the mafia, and like all gangs, either comply with the norms of their peers, or do something else. Those who start out bad become the enforcers, and all the others emulate them. Combine that with collusion with the local administrations and cops and you have the recipe that has existed for many years now. I hope this move will be lasting.

No chance!

Hoping and wishing?

Change the education system and in 3 generations maybe!

Until then its gonna be ground hog day for a long time to come.

• Like 1

Driving from Kata over to Patong I noticed a group of policemen clearing out one of those unsightly taxi Salas on Patak just past the Hilton Arcadia. Brought the traffic to a standstill with all the rubber neckers. Caused me to look at all the other taxi driver slums that I pass, all gone, and the covered seating areas taken over by drivers all empty. Much less tuk tuks and taxis waiting about, but plenty of green plate legal taxis driving about. Let's hope this continues, with no back sliding.

“From now on, the police will not let this happen. No police officer will be transferred and anyone who blocks roads will be prosecuted,” he said.

It's about freaking time.

“Our problem is the local authorities are not strong enough to enforce the law seriously.”

Hard to believe they actually admit this in a press release. Perhaps there is hope.

They really could resolve this problem- if they had the will to do so.

Look at how long the Mafia ruled New York and other major cities in the US. Pretty easy when you pay off select police, politicians and judges :)

Will be interesting to see if the Army uses a firmer hand...