73 taxi drivers arrested in Phuket anti-mafia drive

Lite Beer

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great news lets hope it continues throughout the country and show possible tourists that Thailand is acting to clear up its image.

Thailand is no worse than many other tourist destinations around the world including the UK and many western destinations when it comes to organised crime and scammers like the jet ski operators.

As for corrupt police goodness knows how many have been suspended and jailed in the UK for corruption etc

Whatever happens nothing will stop me staying in Thailand (legally) all you have to do is keep yourself out of trouble and dont stick your nose in others business

Now for the hard part, setting up a public transportation system on the island. The only way that was going to happen was if the Army was in charge. Now is the time.

Army should do that in every touristic areas: Phuket, Samui & Pattaya.

If the army setups and controls a genuine taxi meter system, all that mafia taxi will end in one day !

Can they see all the befenits ?

- improve the confidence of tourists (and investors)

- it will light the traffic

- road safer, fewer accidents caused by farangs on rented motorbike without proper driving licence

Edited by Spellforce
  • Like 2

Good start to get the ball rolling.

However, the cynic in me thinks that some of the kickbacks will be re-distributed, rather than totally eradicated.

Nevertheless, if the corruption were to be reduced by 50%, then that would be wonderful.

Hope it ends well, but i fear that it is just a change in the puppet masters and who will be collecting the tea money.

Your negativity (and that of others) is certainly understandable, but don't overlook one factor

-- we've never before seen a government with Gen. Prayuth in charge. He gives us reason to

suspect that everyone is not the same. Let's wait -- within a year we'll know if he's real or not.

Even in a bushel of rotten apples occasionally you can find a good one.

• Like 1

Hard to believe they actually admit this in a press release. Perhaps there is hope.

One of the major advantages of a military coup which gives complete authority and dictatorial powers to the Army chief --

​he does not have to pussy-foot, placate, or pretend. He is able to make decisions, take decisive, ​corrective measures and

not be overly concerned with who may not like it. What other government leader is able to operate so effectively?

​Years ago, a very wise man once told me, "The best possible form of government is a benevolent dictatorship."

I very much agree, but with one caveat: If the dictator dies or stops being benevolent, what happens then?

How does Singapore do it? The people of Singapore seem to be content in general, every country has it ways to work things out.

Seems like Thailand is on the right track.

What a relieve and refreshment at this moment, if this follows through Thailand will regain its image it lost many years ago.

Way to go wai.gif

Singapore may be the best example of a benevolent dictatorship. Even the dictator acknowledges and

makes no apologies for being dictatorial. Rather he makes persuasive arguments to explain (some say

brainwash) why the people are better off under dictatorial rule.

Most Singaporeans I've met seem to agree with the governments explanations.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

“More than a thousand police officers, soldiers and local authority officials have been working on this.

“The plan was launched on January 30 this year; we have spent about three months now working on this problem.”

So credit is not just to be associated with the Thai Military Junta.

It appears the credit towards the military is due because they were needed to kick-start the action. It was stated that the police alone didn't have resources to follow through on the planning.

However, it could also be that prior blocks in the system were in place to ensure it wouldn't proceed any further than the planning stage.............whistling.gif

Quietly hopeful, but, not yet 100% convinced.

Yes arresting 73 taxi drivers for wrong doing sounds wonderful, but then what?

Arresting them is one thing, fine them 1000 baht each and tell them, you are not to do this again….

Will they be banned from running illegal taxi's? will they have to serve jail time? will they be sent back to wherever they come from in other parts of the country?

Or will they 'only' get a warning and a fine?

This is fantastic news and long overdue.

Taxi and Tuk Tuk owners have held the tourists to ransome for too long.

In the case of the little red vans they are lethal,death traps and too small for

access and comfort.

What is needed now are controlled metered taxis and vetted drivers.

Jet skis and car/motorbike rental companies also need to be regulated.

Perhaps while the army and police are in clean up mode they can tackle the Russians who

now appear to have a major foothold in Karon.

I praise the military for this intervention, however as most local expats know this action will eventually be met with some sought of reaction knowing the behavior of this arrogant culture.

Typically they usually resort to blocking the road until their demands are met. Let’s see the result when the military eventually cleans up Patong. Obviously, they’re saving the best for last in anticipation of possible resistance somewhere down the track.

Edited by MK1

funny how some army boys can suddenly inforce the laws, what local police just are unwilling to do their job... why not investigate all cops, clean them up, check if they have ties with local businesses in a way the should not

why not take it a step further, impound the illegal cars / taxi's ...

put the convicts in jail, in stead of a light fine (500 b?)

Edited by belg
  • Like 1

What about all the boiler rooms and scam shops run here and their money laundering bars and nightclubs....get rid of that scum too, ripping off people all over the world of their life savings and walking about like they are untouchable in pattaya, bangkok , phuket and koh samui...their names should be reported

• Like 2

Well if this continues maybe even I will visit Phuket and take a break from the life in Pattaya. Phuket has been on the bottom of my list for a long time.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Gov Maitri said, “The mafia taxi issue is an old one. Strong power must be applied to eradicate it. There must be a new administration to do this. There must be suppression, education and strengthening of local authorities to get rid of the problem."

​There must also be mandatory, large (at least 10,000 baht per offense) fines, starting with the first offense, mandatory jail time (at least 3 months) for the 2nd offense and mandatory loss of taxi license for the third offence. If/when this happens, the problem will go away.

• Like 2

Yes, about time but will it make any difference?

One of the many reasons why I have not been in Phuket since Jan 2005.

I have no desire to go back any time soon as I am skeptical that It will make any real difference.

With due respect for the task force, sorry, watching from a distance.

Lets see what the outcome is on these parasites, hopefully justice is actually served (I hope so and it is not just some PR exercise making the right noises, then same old same...) Obviously we are all eager to watch the Fun & Games when they get round to sorting Patong's friendly people movers out...

Fingers crossed then thumbsup.gif

Go the army, they are achieving what paid government could not. Fight amoungst yourselves for democracy but I would have This army in charge anytime. I cannot believe the arrogance of Suthep and Yingluk not compromising and uniting Thailand, instead driving the economy down especially when ASEAN commences next year and Thailand should be BOOMING! Be nice to get rid of all the Tuk Tuks put the meters in and get some nice Thai ladies just like on the Gold Coast in Australia, make tourists welcome not ripped and pissed off!

• Like 2

Go the army, they are achieving what paid government could not. Fight amoungst yourselves for democracy but I would have This army in charge anytime. I cannot believe the arrogance of Suthep and Yingluk not compromising and uniting Thailand, instead driving the economy down especially when ASEAN commences next year and Thailand should be BOOMING! Be nice to get rid of all the Tuk Tuks put the meters in and get some nice Thai ladies just like on the Gold Coast in Australia, make tourists welcome not ripped and pissed off!

Oh dear. The Thai army has been in charge many times before and corruption never declined. In fact it increased sharply after the last coup. This 'anti-mafia drive' is clearly just godfathers taking the opportunity to settle old scores. Things will be back to normal in no time.

• Like 1