Android TV box Phuket

Peterocket

Does anyone have experience of using an Android TV box  in Phuket to watch either US or UK TV?

Thai Expat TV seems to only have a few UK channels.

Is there a shop in Phuket that has a live demo?

I want to get something to watch TV but want a simple plug and play solution, I don't want to be installing loads of plugins and patches. Does anyone here have some experience on this?

I bought one 2 days ago. Bought from Lazada in Bangkok for 3,150 now 2,790 baht, with free delivery to my home. 

http://www.lazada.co.th/android-tv-box-vs918-remote-control-149320.html

So far I have been pleasantly surprised with the performance. I bought it to watch the international news channels that had been recently blocked, saves all the cables from my computer to the TV.

I use a LAN cable to the box, not yet tried the WiFi option. 13 Meg 3BB internet package works well without any freezing. The only problem is the stupid remote control which is almost useless. Really need to buy a bluetooth keyboard/mouse to navigate the screen Although I have become used to the remote and given I just want to watch a TV website then there is no need for many keystokes once it is set up.

There is a browser thatworks well, not tried the music/photo/file options.

So far I am well pleased. Plenty of UTube guides on this box, just google it. 

I bought one 2 days ago. Bought from Lazada in Bangkok for 3,150 now 2,790 baht, with free delivery to my home. 

http://www.lazada.co.th/android-tv-box-vs918-remote-control-149320.html

So far I have been pleasantly surprised with the performance. I bought it to watch the international news channels that had been recently blocked, saves all the cables from my computer to the TV.

I use a LAN cable to the box, not yet tried the WiFi option. 13 Meg 3BB internet package works well without any freezing. The only problem is the stupid remote control which is almost useless. Really need to buy a bluetooth keyboard/mouse to navigate the screen Although I have become used to the remote and given I just want to watch a TV website then there is no need for many keystokes once it is set up.

There is a browser thatworks well, not tried the music/photo/file options.

So far I am well pleased. Plenty of UTube guides on this box, just google it. 

Thanks for that I was just looking at this one this morning

Can you confirm which channels are available for free straight out of the box?

Is there any subscription required like some of the other boxes around?

I just want it for TV....do you need the mouse function to change channel or can you just press up/down on the remote?

I just want it for TV....do you need the mouse function to change channel or can you just press up/down on the remote?

I think you have the wrong idea. It's not like a TV decoder with channel up/down or subcriptions.

It's an internet interface. So you have to know the URLs for the TV stations that you want to watch. Then load them into bookmarks for easy selection later on.

I already have everything bookmarked on my desk top and with Google Chrome you can log in with your Google email account and all those bookmarks will be captured by the Android Box (once you sign in with that box) with your desk top bookmarks.

Then using the remote just move about with left/right up/down control to the bookmark and press OK.
  • Like 1

I think you have the wrong idea. It's not like a TV decoder with channel up/down or subcriptions.

It's an internet interface. So you have to know the URLs for the TV stations that you want to watch. Then load them into bookmarks for easy selection later on.

I already have everything bookmarked on my desk top and with Google Chrome you can log in with your Google email account and all those bookmarks will be captured by the Android Box (once you sign in with that box) with your desk top bookmarks.

Then using the remote just move about with left/right up/down control to the bookmark and press OK.

Ahhh.ok...I was confused beecause the  Thai Expat TV one came with "free access to UKTV and a 600THB subscription for premium channels"

So can you access any channel? History, Discovery, BBC1 etc?

Is there a big delay when changing channels?

Ahhh.ok...I was confused beecause the  Thai Expat TV one came with "free access to UKTV and a 600THB subscription for premium channels"

Only those TV channels freely and legally available on the internet. For BBC you would need a UK VPN - cheap enough to subscribe to (I pay about 10 US$/year), can even get free. History/Discovery - no idea, not interested in them. Might need a small fee. Google is your friend.

Delay - about the same time it takes you to change web sites. For sure not as easy or quick as pushing a remote control button on your regular TV remote control.

Only those TV channels freely and legally available on the internet. For BBC you would need a UK VPN - cheap enough to subscribe to (I pay about 10 US$/year), can even get free. History/Discovery - no idea, not interested in them. Might need a small fee. Google is your friend.

Delay - about the same time it takes you to change web sites. For sure not as easy or quick as pushing a remote control button on your regular TV remote control.

It's not clear on google

For example the Thai Expat TV box has direct access to UKTV channels with no VPN required.

I thought quite a lot of people in Phuket used them but evidently not users of this forum.

I've been using a Thai Expat TV box and am delighted with it. It only needs (apparently) a 3MB connexion but I connect it via my wi-fi network to a 12 MB TOT service.

I get live or seven days on demand BBC1, 2,3, ITV1,2,3, CBBC, CBEEBIES, C4, E4, More 4, Film 4, C5, NHK (?), Australia ABC (??), BBC World news, Sky News and maybe a few others I have forgotten about. For me, Casualty, Holby and Dr Who when it's on. I don't even get Thai TV anymore, gave my true box back.

The smart box gives me all the stuff that Android has so the memsab can watch her Korean Lakorns etc.

Well worth it.

SDM

I know nothing about the Thai Expat TV box. Cannot make comment. You asked about the Android TV box which I have. Clearly this Android Box is not what you are seeking.

For information they are all Android TV boxes however all have different functions/abilities

It sounds like the Thai Expat TV box although of a lower spec is probably better...thanks SDM

I've been using a Thai Expat TV box and am delighted with it. It only needs (apparently) a 3MB connexion but I connect it via my wi-fi network to a 12 MB TOT service.

I get live or seven days on demand BBC1, 2,3, ITV1,2,3, CBBC, CBEEBIES, C4, E4, More 4, Film 4, C5, NHK (?), Australia ABC (??), BBC World news, Sky News and maybe a few others I have forgotten about. For me, Casualty, Holby and Dr Who when it's on. I don't even get Thai TV anymore, gave my true box back.

The smart box gives me all the stuff that Android has so the memsab can watch her Korean Lakorns etc.

Well worth it.

SDM

I have the Thai Expat TV box and quite happy with the service. Only problem was the controller but resolved that with a wireless mouse.

I have a pretty crap internet and previously used BBC Iplayer via a VPN but the streaming was very erratic, had to download before viewing, the Expat is certainly a lot better.

I know nothing about the Thai Expat TV box. Cannot make comment. You asked about the Android TV box which I have. Clearly this Android Box is not what you are seeking.

The Expat box is in fact a Leotech Android smartbox. Expat TV has only been added to the normal resident apps.

I use firebox 2, unlimited movies, tv shows on demand, and about 400 HD channels including all of the premium skytv service from the uk, (sky sports 1,2,3 and 4 and also streams astro in HD) well worth it and much more choice and cheaper than expat TV

Do share a link, badgebailey!smile.png

I can PM you a flyer that I have, that is all I have, if you live in Phuket you can have a look at mine, very fast little box with quad core processor and everything I need for my entertainement, expecially when I need to keep up with the latest game of thrones. 

You could use ilikeHD,no need to buy box(but will work on Android box) just

stream from PC to Tv if you have HDMI cables, only bht 400 pm, many HD 

channels, tons of sports,news,movies,docs,kids, etc.works even on not so

good internet connections.

regards worgeordie

• 1 month later...

I use firebox 2, unlimited movies, tv shows on demand, and about 400 HD channels including all of the premium skytv service from the uk, (sky sports 1,2,3 and 4 and also streams astro in HD) well worth it and much more choice and cheaper than expat TV

Sounds good I am missing out on watching the Tour de France this year.

Edited by Damaz6052

• 4 weeks later...

Hi you mentioned Firebox 2 which I have googled as I am interested, but I can not find any information on it.

Is this the Amazon Fire tv box or another prod

I have tried a few options but the internet in Thailand is not stable enough to support IPTV, lost of buffering. You see many expats on FB selling these boxes, prices vary from 4.000-- bath to 22.000-- bath.

If you decide to go for it make sure they have a server in BKK so it will reduce the buffering.

All in all I have decided not to go with it at the moment, just not working good enough and very expensive.

I have tried a few options but the internet in Thailand is not stable enough to support IPTV, lost of buffering. You see many expats on FB selling these boxes, prices vary from 4.000-- bath to 22.000-- bath.

If you decide to go for it make sure they have a server in BKK so it will reduce the buffering.

All in all I have decided not to go with it at the moment, just not working good enough and very expensive.

I went with Xpat TV which I've been happy with.

Can watch anything that's been on UK TV for the last 7 days at the touch of a button as well as live news etc. Each channel buffers in about 2-3 seconds.

For 600thb per month it suites my needs.

I am using thai expat too, it is very good, the best feature is the 7 days of stored programs so there is plenty to watch week on week, not had any streaming problems apart from a few 1 second pauses here and there. Would be nice to have more channels, but since getting it a month ago I haven't looked at true once, i think that will be getting cancelled very soon!