Changing money: Baht to Euro

bluesofa

In the past when friends were visiting Thailand from abroad I used to advise them to change their foreign cash into Baht in Thailand, as it offered a better deal here than their home country.

My g/f and her brother are going to Finland to visit their sister.

What's the best option in this case when changing Baht into Euro? Should they be changing it in Thailand before they go, or (unlikely I'd guess), would they get get a better deal in Finland?

If TV members suggest changing it here in Thailand, then as Thai passport holders, I'm guessing they'll still need to show their passport and maybe flight ticket when changing money in the Thai bank before they go?

SCB debit card in an European atm? I'd be truly, but pleasantly, surprised if it's as easy as that. And was the rate ok? What was the foreign use penalty? Was there a limit imposed? Or was it working as a Visa transaction, which would be expensive for cash withdrawals abroad?

SCB debit card in an European atm? I'd be truly, but pleasantly, surprised if it's as easy as that. And was the rate ok? What was the foreign use penalty? Was there a limit imposed? Or was it working as a Visa transaction, which would be expensive for cash withdrawals abroad?

Worked in Norway, Sweden and Finland.

Could not use it as a visa transaction though. ( tried paying parking in machine )

They say it's a 100B fee and under 2.5% of the amount for the FX fee.

http://www.scb.co.th/en/personal-banking/deposit/debit-atm-card/debit-card

Exchange booths at airports are notorious for being a poor place to change money. My ATM card, luckily, is 1% for FX and no ATM fee. So I can land, find an ATM and not have to worry about what the exchange rate is at the airport....and have local currency in minutes.

They say it's a 100B fee and under 2.5% of the amount for the FX fee.

http://www.scb.co.th/en/personal-banking/deposit/debit-atm-card/debit-card

Exchange booths at airports are notorious for being a poor place to change money. My ATM card, luckily, is 1% for FX and no ATM fee. So I can land, find an ATM and not have to worry about what the exchange rate is at the airport....and have local currency in minutes.

obviously you can also dream too.

sorry mate been there done that done the sums across a number of different cards and base currencies in more places than i'd care to mention.

I only use one card, USAA. Have used this card in probably 50 countries in the past 15 years. The best is the Charles Schwab card, which I should probably try to get.

Agreed, but the fees aren't that much more. Anyway, IMHO, it's much safer and easier than dealing with money exchangers. On our last trip to Prague, pretty much every guide book has out major warnings for these outfits. I'd hate to think of how many times I've been scammed, and with 85 countries under my belt, I should know better! But they are good. Fake calculators, slight of hand, distractions, etc. They are good.

do what all Thai do: a Thai moneychanger, bring passprt or ID. SuperRich-there are 3, 1 of these has 3 orange branches in the sois left of BigC ratchprasong, or the brandnew blue/white it rright beside (Thai power or so-sometimes slightly better, and free drinks). They even dont surprise when someone wants 5000€ or more. AND they have big stocks right there-TH banks would need to preorder. DO check the MAX amounts of € cash you are allowed to bring in and DO know that 99% of local payments in FI are done by card-its far better to check what your TH bank charges for that. In fact many normal shops in Fi will not even handle cash anymore.

PS- the fees/rates that TH banks charge for it depend on the type of account you have-what someone has experiences does not mean that thats the same for all. Again a prime example of how limited the brains seem to be of many TV-users.

ATM cards attract a 2.5% charge on currency.

Finland doesn't really want THB, you will be penalized as a result.

A Thai based money changer such as Super Rich or indeed any Thai bank will be your best bet.

Yes, deal with cash for the best deal. Super Rich has been mentioned. You need to use their main branch to get the best rates. Their smaller branches don't have the same rates that are published on their website.

Personally, I prefer to use Vasu Exchange on Sukhumvit Soi 7/1. Their location is more convenient for me. Their rates are on par with Super Rich. Sometimes, they are better.

ATM cards attract a 2.5% charge on currency.

Finland doesn't really want THB, you will be penalized as a result.

A Thai based money changer such as Super Rich or indeed any Thai bank will be your best bet.

If you do buy Euros here, and I would, don't accept 500 Euro notes. Limit the size to 100 Euros and a spread of some smaller for convenience.

• Like 1

If you do buy Euros here, and I would, don't accept 500 Euro notes. Limit the size to 100 Euros and a spread of some smaller for convenience.

True for daily use in shops etc. 50 Euro note is most popular.

For moving larger amounts in cash the 500 Euro note is OK.

Banks will accept them without a problem.