Curfew enforcement getting more repressive

WinnieTheKhwai

Has the curfew been lifted in Chiang Mai? Just saw 3 trucks of reinforcements arrive at Tapae Gate, maybe they are anticipating some action. Its all getting a little surreal. Maybe some should go for a jog around the moat, some of them could seriously do with the exercise, a little on the pudgy side.

Watch live at.

http://livecam.tourismthailand.org/chiang-mai2/

• Like 1

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has the curfew been lifted in Chiang Mai? Just saw 3 trucks of reinforcements arrive at Tapae Gate, maybe they are anticipating some action. Its all getting a little surreal.

Note that an end to the curfew doesn't mean that soldiers suddenly have to go back home. In fact it would even make sense from the junta's perspective to increase their presence around town at the same time that the curfew is lifted. Just so that nobody gets any ideas.

Anyway we'll know at 8pm. My money is still on it being lifted or suspended for the time being as long as peace and unity reigns.

Rice & Circuses, after all. It's not that difficult.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

Gen Prayuth hints at possible lifting of nationwide curfew

BANGKOKarrow-10x10.png, 13 June 2014 (NNT) – The chief of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) General Prayuth Chan-ocha hinted at the possibility that the nationwide curfew could be lifted as soon as tonight.

General Prayuth has briefly mentioned to press members earlier today that an announcement concerning the status of the curfew will be made later.

On Thursday, First Army Region Commander Teerachai Nakwanich sent a letter to General Prayuth urging him to lift the curfew as reports of political conflicts and violence in most areas have been dwindling and the situation has nearly returned to normal.

On Tuesday, the NCPO completely lifted the curfew in 17 provinces and partially in another three provinces. Some of these provinces include Kanchanaburi, Rayong, Chanthaburi, Roi Et, Loei, Tak, Sukhothai, and Mae Hong Son.

xnntlogo.jpg.pagespeed.ic.rqyBfPGGLw.web
-- NNT 2014-06-13

footer_n.gif.pagespeed.ce.1fzrZTJkPQ.gif

Has the curfew been lifted in Chiang Mai? Just saw 3 trucks of reinforcements arrive at Tapae Gate, maybe they are anticipating some action. Its all getting a little surreal. Maybe some should go for a jog around the moat, some of them could seriously do with the exercise, a little on the pudgy side.

I was walking around Thapae Gate this morning,around 11 am, and there were about 6 army personnel ,most very young. Yes they were armed but spending their time talking to a group of young Chinese girls with their tourist maps waving in the breeze. Reinforcements ? nah..... probably just a change of shift........ Surreal ? ...... hardly. I will get worried when I see tanks rumbling down the sois.

Meanwhile in Khon Kaen today 15 alleged loan sharks were being paraded for the cameras. Charged with extorting money , carrying guns and being in possession of drugs.

I've seen these guys on their motor bikes in CM making calls and terrorising people,not a pretty sight, and we might ask why haven't the police dealt with a situation that's common practice around Thailand. Am happy to be in the minority that happens to think the Army are doing a good job of cleaning out the low life.

Maybe that's why in the north we still have a curfew.

• Like 2

I know the loan sharks charge ridiculous rates, but I fail to see how they are extorting money when someone has borrowed from them in the first place. If you don't want to pay the rates then don't borrow. Are the banks also extorting property when they take it in lieu of money that should have been paid back according to contract and the money is not forthcoming?

^

Rewind -> Stop -> Playback:

Note: This post should serve as a bit of a heads-up and status update, to advise people that it remains unadvisable to be out near/past curfew times. Police can grab anyone and extort basically any fine they please.

So, that and nothing else.

(I think military rule is just great, too. But a status update / status confirmation serves a purpose IMHO.)

Thailand must be the only country then,

All other countries in the world where military rules, it isn't great at all.

Winnie is just stating the obvious, we all approve of what the military is doing. We love the coup, the curfew, the censorship and everything else. Keep up the great work guys!

BTW, on another thread somebody claimed that there was a military coup in Portugal in the '70's that did good things. So sometimes military coups have good results. Well once, anyway...maybe, I haven't really confirmed that Portugal thing.

I certainly have to concur.

I'd only add that I'm absolutely ecstatic about the whole thing.

Has the curfew been lifted in Chiang Mai? Just saw 3 trucks of reinforcements arrive at Tapae Gate, maybe they are anticipating some action. Its all getting a little surreal.

Note that an end to the curfew doesn't mean that soldiers suddenly have to go back home. In fact it would even make sense from the junta's perspective to increase their presence around town at the same time that the curfew is lifted. Just so that nobody gets any ideas.

Anyway we'll know at 8pm. My money is still on it being lifted or suspended for the time being as long as peace and unity reigns.

My guess is that when curfew is lifted there will be strict enforcement of opening hours.

I know the loan sharks charge ridiculous rates, but I fail to see how they are extorting money when someone has borrowed from them in the first place. If you don't want to pay the rates then don't borrow. Are the banks also extorting property when they take it in lieu of money that should have been paid back according to contract and the money is not forthcoming?

People use loan sharks because they are desperate and have no alternative. If you don't have the money to pay for your child's school uniform or your mother's operation then not borrowing is not an option. More importantly, loan sharks also break bones when they don't get paid. It appears that you have been fortunate in your life , but nonetheless you should be more aware of how desperate some peoples lives are and how they are open to exploitation by some very nasty people,

I'm well aware that people are desperate but what I'm saying is, they have agreed to the rates and therefore claiming payment is hardly extortion. I know it certainly seems like extortion, but technically it isn't. If there are no loan sharks then where do they get the money from - as you state they are desperate and need to get it from somewhere, so where should that be.

The situation at the moment is also obviously much worse in that a lot of people cannot make enough money due to loss of income. Where do they go to get extra money. In a perfect world they have no need to borrow or have access to very low interest loans. This obviously is not the case, so what do they do?

You can't just condemn the opportunists without providing an alternative.

In a country with no social safety net it doesn't take much to tip it, you might have arrested a few nasty guys but you have driven up demand for what they were supplying, so what happens now? A lot of people living on the baseline will need cash at the end of the month, politics is dodgy, economy has nosedived what are their options?

My guess is that when curfew is lifted there will be strict enforcement of opening hours.

My guess is with the World Cup on, the coppers will all be watching it in their favourite bars drinking for free, so I'd find out their locals if I were you.

Edited by Chicog