buying new pick up

im thinking of buying new pick up and i would like to get as much imput as possible, my new purchase is between a ford ranger 2.2 2wheel drive and a toyota 2.5 2 wheel drive both 4 doors with possible mazda 2.2 virtually the same as the ranger they are all around 800,000 baht. im open to all suggestions and advice. thank in advance for all replies.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought the mitsubishi 4 door, manual, two wheel drive turbo diesel last year and i am very happy with performance and the servicing from Mitsubishi it has great acceleration with the turbo and I get 1000 kl per tank on highway driving, just renewed my tax and it was around 8000 Bt we did 30,000 ks in the first year without a hic-cup

I am on my second isussu, fantastic motor, great service sold the 1st 1 over 6 years old and got 60%+ of original paid back.

Changed as I wanted to move to auto box

• Like 1

I bought the mitsubishi 4 door, manual, two wheel drive turbo diesel last year and i am very happy with performance and the servicing from Mitsubishi it has great acceleration with the turbo and I get 1000 kl per tank on highway driving, just renewed my tax and it was around 8000 Bt we did 30,000 ks in the first year without a hic-cup

I bought a Mitsubishi 4 door automatic 2 wheel drive diesel about 20 months ago - I am well pleased with it - no problems, just do routine servicing. I selected the Mitsubishi because I liked its styling, cab is not as boxy as most of the others.

Although dealers don't "haggle" over the stated price, they do throw in some "extras" for free - in my case it was a bed liner, tinted windows, window vents, and chrome accessories around lights, door handles, etc.

if you buy a pickup ,choose for the 3,2 lit 5 cylinder engine (only 100 000 more than the 2,2 lit 4 cylinder!)

2,2 lit is too small for a pickup (unless you drive it empty all the time )

Speaking from experience: no, don't agree.

The Ford/Mazda is the best truck available today.

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Tapatalk

I agree that these are the best trucks at the moment. The motor is a Ford with advanced design giving excellent fuel economy, a tank of diesel takes me 900-1,000km.

Opinions about Ford or Mazda are held strongly on both sides and it seems you either love or hate the Mazda design. I chose the Mazda because I liked the cabin design and the wife liked the look of the Mazda. In 2 years I have not found any down-side but you should be aware that they are large and I would recommend adding a reversing sensor of some kind.

• Like 1

I've had a manual 4 door Toyota Vigo PreRunner (3.0 L) from new for eight years. It has been incredibly reliable and drives like a saloon with plenty of 'poke' for overtaking. I know exactly what I can do with it and what I can't do, for example, without a load on the back it's quite easy to lose the rear end in the wet, but that's the same for all rear-wheel drive pickups (and why so many Thai drivers tend to leave the road in the wet!) and you drive accordingly.

I had a few Toyota saloons in the UK over the years and I can't go past them. Plus, it's built in Thailand (with Japanese Toyota Quality Control) so parts are easier and cheaper if you need them.

You can save tax though if you go for the 'Extra Cab' option, providing you don't have regular long-distance passengers in the back!

Toyota every time for me.

Although dealers don't "haggle" over the stated price, they do throw in some "extras" for free - in my case it was a bed liner, tinted windows, window vents, and chrome accessories around lights, door handles, etc.

I got a liner, full insurance, tinted film, chrome accessories, spare wheel lock, plastic things over the windows, floor mats and 20KBaht off list price.

You have to be merciless with the b*ggers, and don't hesitate to play several dealers off against each other.

Edited by KittenKong

I am thinking of purchasing a pick up in twelve months or so. I did read recently that some rules had been relaxed for foreigners purchasing on finance, I don't know if this was correct or not.

Assuming one paid 800,000Bt for a vehicle does anyone know what the current finance terms would be in respect of deposit, term of loan and interest rate. Also in this two tier country is it any different for a Thai person.

Many thanks in anticipation.

(currently own Honda Click for round town and Honda Silverwing for touring)

I've had a manual 4 door Toyota Vigo PreRunner (3.0 L) from new for eight years. It has been incredibly reliable and drives like a saloon with plenty of 'poke' for overtaking. I know exactly what I can do with it and what I can't do, for example, without a load on the back it's quite easy to lose the rear end in the wet, but that's the same for all rear-wheel drive pickups (and why so many Thai drivers tend to leave the road in the wet!) and you drive accordingly.

I had a few Toyota saloons in the UK over the years and I can't go past them. Plus, it's built in Thailand (with Japanese Toyota Quality Control) so parts are easier and cheaper if you need them.

You can save tax though if you go for the 'Extra Cab' option, providing you don't have regular long-distance passengers in the back!

Toyota every time for me.

If I was writing about my truck, it would have read the same as yours, and everthing you say is spot on, although I don't understand the last paragraph.

Buy the ford really good ute

I've looked at them all I'm about to buy one myself I will buy the wild track

For get the Toyota they are heap of sh.. and out dated

Isuzu I like them but the ford is better

Why is the Toyo a H of S.............?............Of course in your opinion........thumbsup.gif

Now just my opinion......

Pickup of choice in Thailand was either Toyota or Isuzu for many years.

Now the new ford has hit the streets many are seen on the roads. All the thai's I stoke to love them.

I road tested all the makes and liked the interior of the Toyota, the accelation of the Isuzu, but they where pickups with pickup handling. Our business already had an old v.old Mitsubishi which runs fine and a year or so old Isuzu 2 door big bed. Which throws itself into dance routines when we are on bad roads.

I LOVED the Ford, it really drives like a car, if you have a few hundred kilos in the bed it becomes even more stable and it will carry 1.25 Tonnes and pull about 2-3 Tonnes.

The 2.2 seemed sluggish compared to the Toyota and Isuzu, but I was buying a big family car for safety, so teh car like ride won me over, with the ABS and Stability control complete with trailer control if needed.

We went for the 3.2 Wildtrak which is 300k over you budget - sorry....

The 3.2 is getting better and better fuel consumption as the engine breaks in and the interior with reversing sensors and camera is very very useful with such a big vehicle, although three mirrors, sensors and camera, 5 reversing aids can sometimes be over welming.... 55555.

If my budget was 800k, I would probably still go for the Ford, but check out the perfect English website for specs...

Hope this helps a bit.

All the best

And as I said only my opinion so don't give me <deleted> if you don't agree !!!

The Ford Ranger and Mazda BT-50 are probably the two best now, but there is a new Nissan Navara coming out if you can wait (there is another thread running on that one here, and we have a big Nissan fanboy member working that thread wink.png ).

The Chevy and Isuzu are great trucks, latest gen, but the Ford is better and quieter I believe. The Toyota Vigo, though an excellent truck, is very, very long in the tooth, and as mentioned, Toyota seems to want to milk all the suckers it can before rolling out the new one.

The Ford Ranger and Mazda BT-50 are probably the two best now, but there is a new Nissan Navara coming out if you can wait (there is another thread running on that one here, and we have a big Nissan fanboy member working that thread wink.png ).

The Chevy and Isuzu are great trucks, latest gen, but the Ford is better and quieter I believe. The Toyota Vigo, though an excellent truck, is very, very long in the tooth, and as mentioned, Toyota seems to want to milk all the suckers it can before rolling out the new one.

Tell me what is wrong, engineering wise, with the Toyota truck. What is wrong with it...?

I forgot to mention, the 3.2 Ford apparently has similar economy to the 2.2 but with lots more power - see Fords spec list.

And according the many road test I read the big Isuzu and big Ford have similar economy.

These are facts from the internet...

As I said in my last post, don't give me <deleted> if you have a different opinion...

Over to you! Let me know what you buy in the end....

If you can afford the extra for the 3.2 Wildtrack it is very worth it.. Thailand has a good price compared to UK or Oz, but Thailand spec doesn't have GPS - I use my Nokia phone with Here GPS maps and free updates....

Tell me what is wrong, engineering wise, with the Toyota truck. What is wrong with it...?

There is nothing wrong with it, the same way there is nothing wrong with my 10 year old S280. But, given the choice of spending good money on a truck why would you buy something obsolete?

Just purchased a Toyota Hilux 2.5 G. It and a few other models were on special offer due to the new models coming out soon. It came off the assembly line in December 2012 so was discounted by 20%. List price 780,000 bt. I got it for 624,000 bt. and if you wanted it over 4/5 years, there were options available where you would still not have paid the list price at the end of the term. My advice, look around the Toyota dealers before buying elsewhere.

Why was "don't give me syhte if you don't agree" deleted... It not abusive nor swearing... W'll not in Newcastle anyway.....

All the fives.....

I'll have 2 pints of what your drinking.......................thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

The 2.5L Triton with 178hp? - how the hell do you get 1000km per tank! I'm lucky if I can get about 700km :-(

• Like 1