buying new pick up

I bought the mitsubishi 4 door, manual, two wheel drive turbo diesel last year and i am very happy with performance and the servicing from Mitsubishi it has great acceleration with the turbo and I get 1000 kl per tank on highway driving, just renewed my tax and it was around 8000 Bt we did 30,000 ks in the first year without a hic-cup

I bought a Mitsubishi 4 door automatic 2 wheel drive diesel about 20 months ago - I am well pleased with it - no problems, just do routine servicing. I selected the Mitsubishi because I liked its styling, cab is not as boxy as most of the others.

Although dealers don't "haggle" over the stated price, they do throw in some "extras" for free - in my case it was a bed liner, tinted windows, window vents, and chrome accessories around lights, door handles, etc.

if you buy a pickup ,choose for the 3,2 lit 5 cylinder engine (only 100 000 more than the 2,2 lit 4 cylinder!)

2,2 lit is too small for a pickup (unless you drive it empty all the time )

By that score, all the Toyotas are underpowered.

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Tapatalk

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have lived around Ford trucks most of my life, and If someone gave me one for free, I'd sell it as fast as I could, then use the money to buy a Nissan.

Don't discount the Nissan Navara too quickly, it is a great truck, and you get a lot more truck and features for the money. I've been driving one for a couple of years and I love the 6 speed manual trans since it gives me nice power when on the farm, plus good over-drive when on the roadway. Do a comparison of the gear ratios on the different models, and you'll see how the Nissan gives you more power without a bigger engine to burn up the fuel.

if you buy a pickup ,choose for the 3,2 lit 5 cylinder engine (only 100 000 more than the 2,2 lit 4 cylinder!)

Speaking from experience: no, don't agree.

And I have yet to see a 3.2 carrying anything more than a few indolent Burmese workers or the shopping home from Makro.

I ask again why the thing about Ford Trucks or cars in Thailand for that matter people I know have them and no problems.blink.png

Seems to me, that people saying I have bought a Toyota, Isuzu, Nissan, and everthing else is poo, I just don't get it apart from you have spent your money and you will support your wheels you bought to the death. biggrin.png

And I have yet to see a 3.2 carrying anything more than a few indolent Burmese workers or the shopping home from Makro.

The 2.2 lt Ford has more than enough power on Thai roads. Amazing on mountain roads, great acceleration for overtaking. Driven Chiang Mai to Koh Chang twice. Very comfortable trip. No overnight stops needed.

• Like 2

The 2.2 lt Ford has more than enough power on Thai roads. Amazing on mountain roads, great acceleration for overtaking. Driven Chiang Mai to Koh Chang twice. Very comfortable trip. No overnight stops needed.

Nonsense! Everyone knows only pushrod V8 give enough power despite what the 1st world is doing...

2014 3.2 Ford Wildtrak here and it is one of the best cars I've ever owned. I'm glad I spent a little more to get the 3.2 package. The car is solid and drives so nice. I see a lot of 2.2 Wildtraks in my neck of the woods but not a lot of the 3.2. I know they are hard to get but they are available in Bangkok. I got mine in just a couple of days from the Bang Na Ford dealer. They typically carry a few in stock.

• Like 2

Nonsense! Everyone knows only pushrod V8 give enough power despite what the 1st world is doing...

As my 'murcan buddy extolls, "There's no replacement for displacement!"

Meanwhile...

I have been searching many sources and spending way too much time looking at thai language only company websites.

Any helpful input is much appreciated,,,

I live in Phuket and am interested in buying either a 4 door pick up or an suv.

Undecided about 4x2 or 4x4. Not sure if there are many places near phuket where I can enjoy using 4x4?

Diesel, I assume for the lower cost. Also curious about future availability to run bio diesel as it becomes available.

Used for mainly communing to work 5 days/week, weekend ocean sport gear, road trips and will not use for heavy hauling.

Would like the best handling AT available. I suspect a pick up loaded or unloaded will not handle as well as an suv?

mitsubishi pajero sport vs pickup up?

vs Toyota vs ?

under 1.2m Baht

Cheers,,,,

I have been searching many sources and spending way too much time looking at thai language only company websites.

Any helpful input is much appreciated,,,

I live in Phuket and am interested in buying either a 4 door pick up or an suv.

Undecided about 4x2 or 4x4. Not sure if there are many places near phuket where I can enjoy using 4x4?

Diesel, I assume for the lower cost. Also curious about future availability to run bio diesel as it becomes available.

Used for mainly communing to work 5 days/week, weekend ocean sport gear, road trips and will not use for heavy hauling.

Would like the best handling AT available. I suspect a pick up loaded or unloaded will not handle as well as an suv?

mitsubishi pajero sport vs pickup up?

vs Toyota vs ?

under 1.2m Baht

Cheers,,,,

I enjoy my 4x4 when the heavy rains hit in flat Bangkok. I imagine i could justify it even more if i lived in Phuket with its hills etc.

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I think most people buy the 4x4 just to have the badge on the back (or side), 90% will never make full use of it. Seems like a waste of cash to me !!

This is what a 2.5, 4x2 manual pick up can do... 1 tonne piece of rock driven 1000km and handled pretty good, touch light on the front end but driven with that in mind. Upside down but you get the gist ?

post-85853-0-52248300-1402228382_thumb.j

Go the Ford :)

I think most people buy the 4x4 just to have the badge on the back (or side), 90% will never make full use of it. Seems like a waste of cash to me !!

This is what a 2.5, 4x2 manual pick up can do... 1 tonne piece of rock driven 1000km and handled pretty good, touch light on the front end but driven with that in mind. Upside down but you get the gist ?

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Go the Ford smile.png

Sorry, don't get your gist........sad.png

Anyone can put 4x4 stickers on their basic ride................coffee1.gif

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Go the Ford smile.png

Possibly the strangest post I've ever read on TVF.

Keep them coming

• Like 1

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Go the Ford smile.png

How did you weigh the rock ?

• Like 1

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Go the Ford smile.png

How did you weigh the rock ?

Drove across our palm cutters weigh machine !

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Go the Ford smile.png

Why would you drive a huge rock for 1000km?

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Go the Ford smile.png

Why would you drive a huge rock for 1000km?

To post/boast about it on TV of course.

Lots of people having bad days by the looks of it... Poor guys :)

A few posters mentioned lack of power with the smaller engined pick ups, claiming 3.2 was the way to go.. I was just trying to point out that is not really true.. But as usual on here, grumpy people wanna get all upset and crying..

Have fun with your new Ranger OP..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

i wrote on here before that i had decided to buy a ranger wildtrak but for various reasons i did'nt go ahead with the purchase, ive now bought a mazda bt50 2.2 4 door 2 wheel drive its secondhand 2012 with 38000 klms on the clock, it was more than 300,000 baht cheaper than the new ranger but its in good nick and i think it will do me nicely as we say in yorkshire im fair suited, anyway thank you all for your interest and imput.

• Like 1