War weapons seized during series of raids

webfact

ARMS SMUGGLING
War weapons seized during series of raids

30235552-01_big.jpg
Photo : Weapons confiscated in Rayong province

BANGKOK: -- A large number of war weapons and ammunition was discovered yesterday in raids associated with the ongoing campaign initiated by the National Council for Peace and Order.

The grace period for people to give up weapons they possess ends next Tuesday, after which a sustained crackdown will begin.

In Chachoengsao province, a joint policemilitary team raid on the home of a former village head resulted in about 50 handguns and rifles being seized along with more than 500 munitions.

The suspect, Wanchai Theerarattanakhet, reportedly admitted he used guns for sports but said the war weapons found in his home were not his.

In Chiang Rai’s Mae Sai district, a drug raid on 15 targets turned up an AK47 assault rifle and munitions along with two hand grenades and some 158,000 amphetamine tablets.

A raid in Chiang Saen district on Wednesday resulted in the seizure of an M16 assault rifle and equipment plus a large number of explosives and detonators used in a milling business with an expired permit for the explosives.

Rayong police retrieved a large number of explosives and weapons found abandoned in Muang district. The items include 13 M79 rounds, three grenades and three homemade pistols.

In Pattaya, police found four hand grenades and one smoke grenade abandoned by Jomtien Beach Road III.

Police said the grenades were useable despite their weathered condition.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-06-05

• Like 1

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks like there may be more this afternoon.

Photos on facebook of large haul in Phetchabun.

attachicon.gifThe Gun.jpg

If the chart on the back wall is anything to go by they knew who they were looking for.

Not only the fat lady singing it would seem.

That is a serious gun collection, much more significant than some the ones in the recent press.

Looks like there may be more this afternoon.

Photos on facebook of large haul in Phetchabun.

attachicon.gifThe Gun.jpg

If the chart on the back wall is anything to go by they knew who they were looking for.

Not only the fat lady singing it would seem.

I saw this on a tv at a neighbour's house and his died in the wool red shirt wife from Phetchabun insisted they were 'made by the yellows in the South' rolleyes.gif

As there is no longer free press and we have to trust whatever the army sends out as news it would be wise to think before we applaud them onto greater discoveries. Dare I say a not to effective PR campaign from an outfit that has its thinking and ideologies entrenched from over a century ago. They find these weapons caches and yet when the C n C was asked many questions , by the foreign journalists, he muttered one word and walked away.

I have not doubt there are serious weapons out there, on both sides, whatever they find will not scrape the surface. Its a scary thought when you are trying to control the masses to accept your doctrine, that one might have your name on it.

Doubt we will see here as news is censored but just saw one of Thaksins aides on Australia Network discussing the setting up of a "network" of peaceful resistance to the current junta. All he would say was that it would not be in a ASEAN country but they would have a base in a country which has a democracy model they wish for Thailand and have free unfettered access to the press.

Has the fightback begun?

Hello "red" city,

If there is no free press anymore then why I have to read this nonsense?

Try to get the idea of what "no free press" exactly means first.

I remember in the dark Thaksin years, some journalists were fired and others ............

• Like 2

As there is no longer free press and we have to trust whatever the army sends out as news it would be wise to think before we applaud them onto greater discoveries. Dare I say a not to effective PR campaign from an outfit that has its thinking and ideologies entrenched from over a century ago. They find these weapons caches and yet when the C n C was asked many questions , by the foreign journalists, he muttered one word and walked away.

I have not doubt there are serious weapons out there, on both sides, whatever they find will not scrape the surface. Its a scary thought when you are trying to control the masses to accept your doctrine, that one might have your name on it.

Doubt we will see here as news is censored but just saw one of Thaksins aides on Australia Network discussing the setting up of a "network" of peaceful resistance to the current junta. All he would say was that it would not be in a ASEAN country but they would have a base in a country which has a democracy model they wish for Thailand and have free unfettered access to the press.

Has the fightback begun?

Since the majority of post is utter nonsense, I will simply respond to your last line .....

Yes, the fightback has begun ... it kicked off on 22 May, and will be complete when the Shin clan and their trusted henchmen are behind bars...!!

Irrespective of who's weapons they are it is yet more weapons that the PTP and CAPO were unwilling to uncover through either an agenda driven lethargy or through incompetence. Either way, one can conclude they are either affiliated with the militia or they are simply incompetent.

After seeing the rice scheme as well as Nattawut who is an accused terrorist UDD leader sharing that role along side being a PTP minister I suspect a mixture of both.

Well done again General and even less weapons on the street that can kill or maim my family.

Cannot deny the progress the democracy restoration team have made.

Neither lethargy nor incompetence were visible when the RTP investigated the attempted assasination of a red shirt leader, somewhere in Udon Thani (?), they had suspects and warrants within a day if i remember right?

leaves only "unwilling" as plausible explanation from what i can see.

RTP is one of the most urgent reforms that was and is needed, and first signs are encouraging.

Edit: added

Edited by fcbkk

I think this just shows that the Thai people is not ready to stop killing. Somebody should teach them a lesson. The saw it before in all neighbouring countries, do they want the same here ? Primitive people has to be dealt with in a primitive way.

Another arrogant imperialist. American or British I assume. There are 'primitive' people everywhere. I should know, as I'm teaching in a deprived area of the UK. Not for long though. Returning to the land of smiles where teachers are respected and students know their place!! I would class someone as primitive if they had a closed, arrogant mind like yours!!

yes, how dare a student ask a teacher a question or query their answers, especially when a year 12 student from Australia would have more knowledge than most of the thai teachers. If there is one thing I have seen first hand here it is the amount of thai teachers that are so far below a decent teaching standard along with their totally arrogant attitudes, after reading your comment you would fit in here very well. Although the original post may well be wrong your reply shows that much contempt its not funny, when people think that shooting/bombing/killing people that have different opinions to them is the answer then you do have to wonder at their intelligence or lack of it and that rests primarily with the education of the populace and the so called teachers that worry more about face than teaching the students.

I`m not American nor British, but why do my kids 5 year old girls need to teach their English teacher to teach the kids English ? Amazing. The people of Thailand should get down from the trees and out from the caves and deal with the rest of the world. I think they do not know som much about the world outside Thailand.

There is certainly an impression of a large number of weapons found, but adding the numbers up from all current reports does not

actually amount to all that much. Last time I attempted this it was still in the two digit range - which is nice to have off the streets or

out of unwanted hands, but not quite the underground super armory.

Some of these reports do not make much sense - finding weapons with wrong ammunition, or few handfuls of assorted ammunition

but no weapons, M79 ammo but no launchers etc. So yes, could be the caches they uncovered first aren't exactly the smart ones,

but still a bit odd.

Most of all it does not sounds even remotely organized. The weapons themselves are definitely not harmless, sure, but what they

found so far, and how it was kept does not really point to a well coordinated effort. So either they are yet to find the main stashes,

or perhaps there weren't any. While the weapons found are alarming, they are not enough to arm a side preparing for civil war or

anything of the sort.

Would be helpful if the generals would release some sort of chart or list details all weapons discovered and at which locations.

Media reports are sometimes inaccurate or mistaken about details.

• Like 1

Has the fightback begun?

they would have a base in a country which has a democracy model they wish for Thailand

So that narrows it down to Zimbabwe or Sudan then…Both being an elected govt that abuse democracy post elections.

Love your other quote too

As there is no longer free press and we have to trust whatever the army sends out as news it would be wise to think before we applaud them onto greater discoveries.

I have heard it all when it does not suit the PTP agenda. Fake farmers. Fake monks. Fake red shirts. Fake ID cards. Fake police. But never fake news reports that don't suit the PTP agenda.

That my friend is undoubtably, unequivocally, without question PTP logic right there. AND I LOVE IT!!!

PTP, red-shirts, and PDRC all used the "fake" card when things did not suit them. Nothing to be proud about, and

not endemic to one of the sides. Non of them are in charge, by the way.

The fact that the press is not free now is a fact, which the generals themselves openly concede. Could be a called

a temporary measure or a step back in order to step forward - doesn't matter the fact that this is a reality at present.

That is not to say that the news regarding those weapons (and others) are "fake", just that there is currently one

narrative, one version, one public view on things. It may be correct, but it cannot be disputed. So in this meaning,

no, the press is not free.

Whatever the situation of the press was under the PTP's rule, is one thing. The present is another.

Basically, another version of "but...but...PTP" (with the unnecessary tired slogan about PTP logic).

• Like 2

Irrespective of who's weapons they are it is yet more weapons that the PTP and CAPO were unwilling to uncover through either an agenda driven lethargy or through incompetence. Either way, one can conclude they are either affiliated with the militia or they are simply incompetent.

After seeing the rice scheme as well as Nattawut who is an accused terrorist UDD leader sharing that role along side being a PTP minister I suspect a mixture of both.

Well done again General and even less weapons on the street that can kill or maim my family.

Cannot deny the progress the democracy restoration team have made.

How much more proof do the terrorist sympathizers on here need to see before they will admit that what Gen. Prayuth has put into motion was totally necessary...?!

It is abundantly clear that the PTP, the UDD and the inactive police force were setting this country up for a full-blown civil war. All of them must now be ready to take responsibility for their actions.

Strange that the TVF UDD sympathizers have stopped even trying to put some spin on these discoveries; mind you, I suppose they fully accept Wanchai's explanation for these weapons.....

"The suspect, Wanchai Theerarattanakhet, reportedly admitted he used guns for sports but said the war weapons found in his home were not his"...!!

Do you think that the weapons found so far are sufficient to win a full-blown war? Or even to start one?

Are there any public allegations by the army that the weapons found proof such intentions on part of the

RTP, PTP and UDD leadership?

And before you call me something charming like "terrorist sympathizer" - I will say it again, it is good indeed

that the weapons are confiscated, and no, does not look like people had them as collector items. That said,

it is still a far cry from a massive organized effort to bring the country on its knees. If it was, though, and if

this was its full extent - than perhaps we can all take it down a notch, not very impressive as underground

movements go.

On the same note, the current reports are mostly centered on searches connected with red-shirts. Fair enough,

they probably earned that. Would be interesting to know if searches in PDRC strongholds will yield similar results.