Have you assimilated into Fara-saan?

jkinbkk

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Basic issue footwear (flip flops) is a communal affair within the family.

You are expected to share yours while you use others .... kind of thing.

Due to fact that Farang feet are larger than your average Thai, you are left with the smallest pair to try and squeeze into (these sometimes turn out be furry Leopard skin ones and such like).

sounds like some of you people live among hicks and country bumpkins, eating animal guts on the floor. who would come all the way to an exotic place and live in the dust bowl of Thailand when you could be living by the beach or in the mountains?

... and yet you find the need to come into the Isaan forum and make comments.

I think you must be missing something.

• Like 2

Yes, planning permission stops at the Poo Yai. Want to knock up another house in the garden, no worries, go for it.

I am from the UK but call Korat home, in fact the few times I have returned to the UK in the last 19 years it appears to be more foreign to me upon each visit.

Not particularly in love with Korat city itself (although anything you could possibly want is available there) , its the area in the hills between Ampurs- Pak Chong, Pak Thong Chai and Soongnerg that has stolen my heart.

• Like 2

who on earth would move to Isaan??? is this for real?

...and who in heaven's name would want to live in Pattaya, Phuket or Bangkok? There are very few things that I have to go to Bangkok for, I have the dogs and fresh vegetables from the garden, can build an extension when and how I feel like it...drivers are much less aggressive, my money goes much further...

Ssshhhh, don't tell them this as they will all be coming up lock.gif.pagespeed.ce.HUpoQX69cx.gif

No Isaan is a really, really terrible place to live. No one is safe and scary things such as Phi Pops roam at night.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phi_Pop

Edited by soihok
  • Like 1

...and who in heaven's name would want to live in Pattaya, Phuket or Bangkok? There are very few things that I have to go to Bangkok for, I have the dogs and fresh vegetables from the garden, can build an extension when and how I feel like it...drivers are much less aggressive, my money goes much further...

Gotta agree with you. Because you mentioned VFM, I am waiting for the rich kids to start accusing you of not having two pennies to rub together. Yesterday I bought a plot of land right next to my house (sorry my TGF's house and land) to grow rice, veggies and maybe build a restaurant. Won't need tables and chairs though because all I need to do is throw the food on the ground and watch all the dirty hicks and bumpkins scoop the food up with their one clean hand! because all Isaan people are like that??? or so I am led to believe!!!

Yes, yes, its really like that.

Children can't go out in fear of being kidnapped and having their internal organs sold to Chinese people.

Please stay in BKK and elsewhere, its really awful out there.

sounds like some of you people live among hicks and country bumpkins, eating animal guts on the floor. who would come all the way to an exotic place and live in the dust bowl of Thailand when you could be living by the beach or in the mountains?

Dust bowl?post-108400-14021111559941_thumb.jpg

Who on earth would rent an over-priced, shoe box in Bangkok to call home?

Apparently millions!

and QUITE A FEW MORE HAPPIER PEOPLE LIVING IN ISAAN,. WHICH WE CALL 'HOME.'-thumbsup.gif

you couldn't pay me to live in Bangkok but living in some place like Isaan would be hell.

" If I had a farm in Bangkok and a home in the hell, I would sell my farm and go home."-thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Well,I have been in Issaan (Udon Thani) for 7yrs now.Bought a falang house and have a Thai wife.I am enjoying life immensely. We have nearly all Thai neighbors and my wife gets the shout to come over for King Khau nearly every morning.I am also made welcome,and I get on with them all and their kids.I have changed my taste buds to suit the menus and enjoy all thai food that is devoid of heavy spices. Yes I too sometimes ride a bike on the wrong side of the road instead of going the extra mile and coming back on the other side,but not with the car. I do drink Archa as I find its the same as all thai beers.That is why I have gone overboard with Sangsom and coke(Zero) with M150,what a great drink and thirst quencher,and I can drink that all night without getting drunk or bloated out !!! I have grown a pig-tail. This is because my wife wanted to see if it would cover the bits that were worrying me (bald spots) and if works and all the Thai women tell me it looks good.I am 78yrs old and would never dare do that back in the old country---NZ. All this makes me feel younger and the people in the shops are always helpful and have a laugh with me as I try to describe in English what I want,Most Issaan people are happy and helpful,and appreciate if you can just say hello and thank you. Even the Police wave me on when they realize its me ,before I have a chance to get my licence out. I rarely go round the bars now as most heve their own little band of falang regulars who are only their to have a winge as to what has been happening to them today. I have more fun when the family come to my place.Only costs me a couple of Archas and a bit of a rice meal,especially when I put the Karaoke on and get them singing. Well that's my story ,and both my wife,an ex rice farmer family girl and me are happy with our little lot------ Udon is No1------ Dougalwai2.gif

There is no man richer than the man who has found his actual happiness. Blessings on you sir and a long and happy life to you.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Think yourself lucky. In Singapore they just throw the ice cream between two slices of wonderbread. Hot Dog roll, thats classy!

These are just Android users stuck on an old version of the OS - Ice Cream Sandwich

Bye,

Derk

I live in Isaan and our garbage is collected daily, but we do live in the town of Nong Bua Lamphu. I've visited some of the villages around the town and some have garbage collection, others don't.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

All good points until you mentioned Archa beer. Nobody drinks Archa beer unless it is free. smile.png

If you are to be assimilated you must drink Leo..number one beer in the northeast..by far....for locals.

What i got used to during my latest visit was the all night gambling and drinking and eating raw buffalo meat.

This occurs occasionally in my village when someone returns from working abroad. The returnees celebrate their homecoming for two or three days in a row.

Wonder why they are eating raw meat for must be to pissed to cook it

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Drive like a Thai!! The frightening observation regarding so many who, when on a motorbike, come to a T junction at a main road and turn left without any sort of glance to the right, to see what traffic is incoming. Frightening...

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 5.7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Drinking Archa now, it's as good as any of the other muck they serve up as beer here. How about walking past members of the family and completely ignoring them? I finally trained them to say SDK and now find myself ignoring them. Don't get me into driving the car, I think I drive like a Thai, but I use the mirrors.

Drive like a Thai!! The frightening observation regarding so many who, when on a motorbike, come to a T junction at a main road and turn left without any sort of glance to the right, to see what traffic is incoming. Frightening...

(edited/re-posted due to my inability to <reply with quote> on my smartphone!)

Drinking Archa now, it's as good as any of the other muck they serve up as beer here. How about walking past members of the family and completely ignoring them? I finally trained them to say SDK and now find myself ignoring them. Don't get me into driving the car, I think I drive like a Thai, but I use the mirrors.

(edited/re-posted due to my inability to <reply with quote> on my smartphone!)

Yes, but you EXPECT them to do that. What I didn't expect the other day was a Farang driving pretty fast without helmet who cut off my path as I was turning right . 'This is the way you're supposed to do it, stupid Thais'. He won't last long, A Thai probably would have had him off his bike as he wasn't driving like a Thai.