Thai doctor warns betting on World Cup matches may lead to gambling addiction

webfact

Doctor warns betting on World Cup matches may lead to gambling addiction

BANGKOK, 6 June 2014 (NNT) – The Department of Mental Health warned on Thursday those who partake in gambling activities during the football World Cup period put themselves at risk of gambling addiction, which may lead to depression and suicide.

Dr. Phanphimon Wiluppakon, deputy director-general of the Department of Mental Health, spoke of Chulalongkorn University's findings relating to the behaviors of gamblers and effects gambling has on the individuals.

The university recently found that college students favored betting in football match results through dealers, and the online medium was the most widely used channel for exchange of football gambling information.

According to figures obtained from the Department of Mental Health's quit-gambling hotline service, 30 percent of all calls made to the hotline no. 1323 had to do with football gambling.

Almost half of these callers indicated gambling was having effects on their family. Debt burden was the second most-cited problem among inveterate football gamblers who called the hotline.

Dr. Phanphimon said the family and debt issues had detrimental effects on the mind, putting the person at risk of stress, depression and suicide.

The doctor asserted gambling addiction was a type of impulse-control disorder and persons who find themselves displaying this behavior should call the hotline 1323, which operates around the clock.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-06-06 footer_n.gif

B S J post # 7

I'd wager the good doctor has had lots of practise talking out of his <deleted>! biggrin.png.pagespeed.ce.XhpYJIv77v.png

A

S

S

Just imagine if the team he supported won it would give a whole new meaning to the toast ''Bottoms Up.'' or the expression ''We kicked their a**.'' whistling.gif

The health risk from gambling on football in Thailand really relates to the beatings handed out by "debt collectors" (not the legal kind). If you think this is exaggeration, I would suggest you are still suffering from Initial Thailand Illusion of Utopia Syndrome (ITIUS).

Wow! Once again I'm baffled about the sharpness and wisdom of yet another so-called "academic".

Betting may lead to gambling addiction.

Smoking may lead to nicotine addiction.

Shooting up may lead to heroin addiction.

Drinking may lead to alcohol addiction.

Swimming as a non-swimmer may lead to drowning.

Drunk driving may lead to accidents.

Thailand, the hub of pointing out the obvious.

• Like 1

Wow! Once again I'm baffled about the sharpness and wisdom of yet another so-called "academic".

Betting may lead to gambling addiction.

Smoking may lead to nicotine addiction.

Shooting up may lead to heroin addiction.

Drinking may lead to alcohol addiction.

Swimming as a non-swimmer may lead to drowning.

Drunk driving may lead to accidents.

Thailand, the hub of pointing out the obvious.

Same doctor just announced, placing a plastic bag over your head may cause suffocation.giggle.gif

wouldn't worry to much, how long will Thailand last in the world cup? It's a knock out comp isn't it, you loose and your out.

Yes because Thailand is the only country you can bet on in the world cup.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

how do you get an addict more addicted ?

Sell him an amulet guaranteed to make him a winner?

Funny, that reminds me, have you seen those programs on the equivalent of Thai shopping programs, where guy's sell amulets. It shows on camera how they suddenly become stronger or fitter whilst wearing an amulet with all the associated bad acting...........compulsive viewing, funny as hell.

I agree that the Dr in the OP is wrong, it is the addiction issue that will cause the forthcoming gambling frenzy, not the other way around.

Never mind gambling. If you're an England fan just watching a World Cup can lead to depression. sad.png

I heard its not much better for the Netherlands.. if i were a gambling man id gamble against them.

I don't like the game much so no worries for me. But for others....