Visa for new parents..how do I?

Hi guys and gals,

Currently I am on a one year ED visa which is due to expire on July 1st. My daughter was born end of November 2013.

What is the visa that I need as someone that has family in Thailand and documents to process it and the how to´s during the process appreciated. How long does such visa last and what is it called (non O for example)?

Details.

Myself and my dughter´s mother are un married, she is from Thailand, I am UK national. I have been in Thailand from November 2011 initially on on a multi entry non immigrant O visa. followed by 6 months on a tourist visa and now, the ED visa that is about to end. The baby´s birth certificate has my name on it.

I was actually Thinking of doing a border run to get VOA 30 days before processing either this type of visa or indeed a tourist one (double entry)

Thank you kindly in advance.

You might be able to get a single non-O visa based on your child, if you are named on the birth certificate as the father of the child.

However, since yu are not married you are not considerd the legal father of the child until you petition the court to be recognised as such. If you do that, you can get extensions of stay from immirgation f you cna show an income of 40,000 baht a month OR cna show 400,000 baht in a Bank acocunt in Thailand.

See: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/381917-how-to-gain-parental-rights-as-a-father/

for more info on how to become the legal father.

• Like 1

You can apply for a 60 day extension to visit your child. You will need their birth certificate and house book plus copies of them. The mother and child will need to go with you to immigration when you apply.

• Like 1

You can apply for a 60 day extension to visit your child. You will need their birth certificate and house book plus copies of them. The mother and child will need to go with you to immigration when you apply.

Thanks Ubon Joe what about indefinately like when the 60 days are up?

I am not on the house book as an occupant of the house.

You might be able to get a single non-O visa based on your child, if you are named on the birth certificate as the father of the child.

However, since yu are not married you are not considerd the legal father of the child until you petition the court to be recognised as such. If you do that, you can get extensions of stay from immirgation f you cna show an income of 40,000 baht a month OR cna show 400,000 baht in a Bank acocunt in Thailand.

See: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/381917-how-to-gain-parental-rights-as-a-father/

Thanks Mario, proof of income greater than 40,000 Bahts is not a problem neither is Thai Bank account with 400,000 Bahts.

What about a multi entry non O visa?

Thank you kindly for the link.

You can only get the 60 day extension once per each entry.

It is the house house book the child is listed in.

You will not qualify for the one year extension until you become the legal father of your child by way of legitimization through the courts.

• Like 1

Thanks Mario, proof of income greater than 40,000 Bahts is not a problem neither is Thai Bank account with 400,000 Bahts.

Mutliple non-O's are difficult to get, especially in the neighbourhood. You can ask for on in Laos, but expect to get a single only.

• Like 1

You will not qualify for the one year extension until you become the legal father of your child by way of legitimization through the courts.

Thank you kindly Ubon Joe,

So I dont have to be listed in the house book?

"You can only get the 60 day extension once per each entry"

I don´t quite understand that. You mean one 60 day extention every time I come (enter) Thailand? example just now my ED visa is about to run out on July 1st meaning I can get

60 day extention by going to Immigration in Roi Et ? then, for example I do a VOA run across to Myanmar (or where ever) get 30 days on that visa on arrival then a further 60 days? and so forth for every entry I make to Thailand until the legalisation process is complete and upon which I can get yearly extentions?

BTW how much is the visa extentions for this?

Thanks in advance.

Mutliple non-O's are difficult to get, especially in the neighbourhood. You can ask for on in Laos, but expect to get a single only.

Thank you Kindly Mario, I found my multi non o easy to get..but I did apply for that far far far away from here, back in Europe.

Thank you kindly Ubon Joe,

So I dont have to be listed in the house book?

"You can only get the 60 day extension once per each entry"

I don´t quite understand that. You mean one 60 day extention every time I come (enter) Thailand? example just now my ED visa is about to run out on July 1st meaning I can get

60 day extention by going to Immigration in Roi Et ? then, for example I do a VOA run across to Myanmar (or where ever) get 30 days on that visa on arrival then a further 60 days? and so forth for every entry I make to Thailand until the legalisation process is complete and upon which I can get yearly extentions?

BTW how much is the visa extentions for this?

Thanks in advance.

You can't be listed in a house book unless it is your own yellow one. It is the blue one that your child is registered in which will more than likely will be the same one their mother is in.

You can get one 60 day extension at the end of your ED extension. Then you could do border crossing and get visa exempt entry and extend it.

I suggest though that you make a trip to Vientiane or Savannakhet and get a single entry non-o and then do the 60 day for that entry. That way when you finish the legitimization you could apply for the one year extension without having to out for the non-o then.

All extensions cost 1900 baht.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Actually been to the courts to legalise the parenthood of my daughter, been denied due to my daughter being under 7 years old.

My visa (ED) runs out in 10 days time. I can do a 60 day extention at immigration as mentioned above, however I am willing and have no problem to legalise myself as the father of my fiancee son who is 7 in July. Can I then, once the legal father of my fiancee son is complete get a one year extention of stay to the 60 day extention of stay visa or do I have to go out and get a non immigrant O visa? what do you suggest? How long does the legalisation process take?

What documents are required for the non immigrant type O visa?

Thanks in advance.

Actually been to the courts to legalise the parenthood of my daughter, been denied due to my daughter being under 7 years old.

My visa (ED) runs out in 10 days time. I can do a 60 day extention at immigration as mentioned above, however I am willing and have no problem to legalise myself as the father of my fiancee son who is 7 in July. Can I then, once the legal father of my fiancee son is complete get a one year extention of stay to the 60 day extention of stay visa or do I have to go out and get a non immigrant O visa? what do you suggest? How long does the legalisation process take?

What documents are required for the non immigrant type O visa?

Thanks in advance.

Normally their is no minimum age for the courts. Only Amphoes require the child do be 7 years old.

Once you child turns 7 it should not take more than a couple of days to get the legitimization done at the Amphoe.

If you get the legitimization done you should be able to apply for the extension based upon being the parent of a Thai child during the 30 days of the 60 day extension.

You should check with your local immigration office to find out what their requirements are to get the extension.

To get a single entry non-o you would just need your child's birth certificate and house book.

• Like 1

Ubon Joe, are you saying to legitimise myself as the father of my daughter all I have to do is go to the local courts (if so which one)?

is it obliged to do the written signed thingy by the child once the child is 7 years old?

At the moment all I want to do is satisfy the regulations and meet all the requirements for immigration to get yearly extensions (I meet the 400K and 40K Bahts financial requirements).

Thanks in advance.

Ubon Joe, are you saying to legitimise myself as the father of my daughter all I have to do is go to the local courts (if so which one)?

is it obliged to do the written signed thingy by the child once the child is 7 years old?

At the moment all I want to do is satisfy the regulations and meet all the requirements for immigration to get yearly extensions (I meet the 400K and 40K Bahts financial requirements).

Thanks in advance.

Once your child is 7 years old you can go to the Amphoe (district registrars office where ID cars are issued) not the court to do the legitimization. I think that is where you went when you went were told before they needed to be 7 years old.

The child will be asked if you are their father along with a few more questions possibly.

Legitimization is what is needed to get an extension of stay at immigration.

Thanks in advance.

Once your child is 7 years old you can go to the Amphoe (district registrars office where ID cars are issued) not the court to do the legitimization. I think that is where you went when you went were told before they needed to be 7 years old.

The child will be asked if you are their father along with a few more questions possibly.

Legitimization is what is needed to get an extension of stay at immigration.

She can´t speak yet only 7 months old. Is legitimization is all that is required. The Amphoe where ID cards are issued is where we went and told she has to be 7 years old (no likey!).

Can we do ligitimisation at court in Roi Et city? no court in local town.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry I got the ages mixed up with your fiancees sons age.

You will not get an extension at immigration without legitimizing your parenthood . If you got married it would no be needed.

It would be done at the family court in Roi Et..Have you looked at this topic that was posted earlier for info: http://www.thaivisa....ts-as-a-father/

• 1 month later...

Link seen and understood.

How long does the 400,000 Baht have to be in my Thai Bank account?

Got the non O visa and petitioned the court (just waiting now until they call with something). The show of 400,000 in a bank account or earnings in excess of 40,000 per month are for a year long extension to visit family right?

• 1 month later...

What documents are required for a 60 day extension of stay as a father of Thai child?, sadly courts are taking their time and we wont get this fixed out with legal documentation before my visa expires on the 30th. Second day court hearing is on the 29th! so I doubt very much we will have documents from the courts to take with us the 30th (exact day my visa expires).

Do I need a translation to Thai of my passport? if so does it need to be done by a lawyer.

What documents are required for a 60 day extension of stay as a father of Thai child?, sadly courts are taking their time and we wont get this fixed out with legal documentation before my visa expires on the 30th. Second day court hearing is on the 29th! so I doubt very much we will have documents from the courts to take with us the 30th (exact day my visa expires).

Do I need a translation to Thai of my passport? if so does it need to be done by a lawyer.

You will need to have your child with you when your apply.

You will need their birth certificate (plus a copy) and copies of their house book.

Proof of residence may also be needed.

No need for your passport to be translated. Just copies of your passport photo page, visa, entry/permitted to stay stamp and TM6 departure card.

• Like 1

You will need to have your child with you when your apply.

You will need their birth certificate (plus a copy) and copies of their house book.

Proof of residence may also be needed.

No need for your passport to be translated. Just copies of your passport photo page, visa, entry/permitted to stay stamp and TM6 departure card.

Proof of residence? what is accepted?

A rental agreement will be accepted. Some offices will want copies of owners house book and ID card attached.

Some offices might accept just a receipt.

The child's mothers house if living where it is for would be accepted.

Thanks, we are living at the Fathers house (the house master)

will we need copies of all people registered as living there´s ID cards?

You will just need a copy of the address page of the house book and the page that shows him as a resident his ID card and a note saying you are staying in his house.

Is your girl friend registered in that house book? If yes then you will only need the address and the page she is on.

• 1 month later...

Finally, after such along wait I have got the legitimisation documents from the family court in Roi Et, I am on the 60 day extension of the non o visa.

I may apply for a years extension of stay but can anyone confirm how much money has to be shown and for how long it has to be in your bank account?

I do know it was 400k in a Thai Bank account for 60 days now I have been informed it is 500k for 90 days. The informer was indeed immigration of Amnat Charoen, is this 100% true? or did I misunderstand?

From clause 2.18 immigration order 327/2557.

"(5) In the case of parents, the father or mother must maintain an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month throughout the year or must have deposited funds of no less than Baht 400,000 to cover expenses for one year."

As you can see there is no amount of time needed for it to be in the bank but some offices want it to be there for 60 days.

The 500k baht number is from clause 2.11 for the parent of non Thai child attending school.

From clause 2.18 immigration order 327/2557.

"(5) In the case of parents, the father or mother must maintain an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month throughout the year or must have deposited funds of no less than Baht 400,000 to cover expenses for one year."

As you can see there is no amount of time needed for it to be in the bank but some offices want it to be there for 60 days.

The 500k baht number is from clause 2.11 for the parent of non Thai child attending school.

Thank you kindly Joe,

I have read immigration act my understanding that the immigration officer misunderstood for an extention of stay for an alien child (non Thai) 500k is required and must be in account for 3 months (30 days in first year, first time asking for extension)

where can I find a copy of such document "immigration order 327/2557." in both Thai and English?

Thank you kindly in advance.