More rosewood seizures in the far Northeast

Lite Beer

More rosewood seizures in the far Northeast
The Sunday Nation

BANGKOK: -- Bueng Kan police and troops arrested two young men yesterday who were transporting 67 pieces of protected Siamese rosewood, worth Bt5 million, to a pier in Muang district for export to Laos.

Following a tip-off, the officers found two "suspicious" vehicles heading toward the Sai Sathitchai Pier on the Mekong River in tambon Hokham.

A Toyota Fortuner sped away when officers were spotted, but a pickup was pulled over and the logs found. Two men in the truck claimed they were paid Bt10,000 by a woman, who drove the Fortuner, to deliver the logs to the pier.

In Nakhon Phanom, a Mekong River patrol unit yesterday announced the seizure of 223 rosewood pieces in two separate cases. Some 187 pieces were seized at 5am Tha Uthen district, while 36 pieces were seized on Friday night in Ban Phaeng district.

Meanwhile, Na Kae district chief Khaneung Meephrom said that following the seizure of 18 pieces of rosewood D.oliveri in a forest in tambon Kan Leung worth Bt300,000, illegal loggers had targeted another Siamese rosewood type - D.cochinchinensi, which had become rarer due to illegal logging and resulted in a crackdown on poachers.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-06-08

This is Thai news filler and diversion from real news.

??? Watch the TV broadcasts and catch up with the army's announcements, otherwise you will miss out as not all is in the press. English subtitles are shown at the foot of broadcasts.thumbsup.gif

This wood is found in the forests of Isaan, well it was. It goes to China via Laos. Every National Park has tons of confiscated logs that they have to keep as evidence for court cases. Of course they usually only catch the pawns often of Laos nationality who drive the gutted Fortuners and Cr-v's with tinted windows which are used to transport the logs.

Of course it couldn't go on without serious planning at a high level probably involving enforcement officials. But they never get caught.

• Like 2

It is beautiful timber and I understand why it is in such demand.

Corruption, bloodshed and death – the curse of rosewood

http://eia-international.org/corruption-bloodshed-and-death-the-curse-of-rosewood

I know it is used for guitars, and maybe other such things.... Just an idea? How about growing more trees? Oh, I'm sorry guess we all forget to plan ahead at times.... But in the fast paced world we live in? Who has the time to grow a tree? What is that popular word we hear today? sustainability?

kilosierra.... wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

Last year i planted 5 of these trees , my little effort for the future , but i feel like a grain of salt as i see they are cut down by the hundreds .

I hear it was going to a fellow with the last initial being T living in Laos. And we all know here on TV that one of the 657 relatives of this infamous T owns a Toyota. So again my conspiracy theory believes this was the work of.........................whistling.gif

I have a small rubber plantation near Bueng Karn which had 2 of these trees near the road entrance. About a month ago, the workers on the farm were approached and offered Bt.10,000 for the 2 trees - they refused of course. A few days later, in the dead of night, 7 guys turned up and felled the 2 trees and made off - our workers could not interfere as these guys were armed for sure. So, it is with some satisfaction that I now read reports, and see on TV news, that these criminals are being caught. However, I fear that the ones being caught are only the 'little guys' and have good reason to believe that the real criminals are in positions of (supposed) authority...and wear uniforms. A dreadful situation...... But my question is, what happens to the wood that the police capture? Does anyone know? Am I to assume it eventually gets to China through different channels and payment arrangements?

I have a small rubber plantation near Bueng Karn which had 2 of these trees near the road entrance. About a month ago, the workers on the farm were approached and offered Bt.10,000 for the 2 trees - they refused of course. A few days later, in the dead of night, 7 guys turned up and felled the 2 trees and made off - our workers could not interfere as these guys were armed for sure. So, it is with some satisfaction that I now read reports, and see on TV news, that these criminals are being caught. However, I fear that the ones being caught are only the 'little guys' and have good reason to believe that the real criminals are in positions of (supposed) authority...and wear uniforms. A dreadful situation...... But my question is, what happens to the wood that the police capture? Does anyone know? Am I to assume it eventually gets to China through different channels and payment arrangements?

Hi Chris, if you go to any NP unit or HQ in the upper North - East, you will find tons of this wood. It is all numbered with the amount and the number of the court case. It has to be kept as evidence. As far as I know, they cannot dispose of it or sell it. That is what I was told anyway.