Have the Russian tourists dissapeared?

Justanotherpassword

Chatting with a realtor and a developer the other week. They reckon in Q1/2, the Russians account for 60% of the Pattaya market.

They also commented on a 26% uptick on sales SINCE the (event the army doesn't want to called a) coup.

These are the Russians you hardly ever see. Quietly buying new properties in new developments well away from Pattaya and driving red-plated Mercs and Lexus's to shop at Makro. Not to be confused with the noisome ones that barge about the malls, shop at 7-eleven, keep the change to pay the EXACT songtaew fares for their Ambassador City commute or ride around in Pegas buses.

Are you are able to give a rough estimate of how many properties each red-plated Merc and Lexus owner has purchased in Pattaya?

Chatting with a realtor and a developer the other week. They reckon in Q1/2, the Russians account for 60% of the Pattaya market.

They also commented on a 26% uptick on sales SINCE the (event the army doesn't want to called a) coup.

These are the Russians you hardly ever see. Quietly buying new properties in new developments well away from Pattaya and driving red-plated Mercs and Lexus's to shop at Makro. Not to be confused with the noisome ones that barge about the malls, shop at 7-eleven, keep the change to pay the EXACT songtaew fares for their Ambassador City commute or ride around in Pegas buses.

Are you are able to give a rough estimate of how many properties each red-plated Merc and Lexus owner has purchased in Pattaya?

Sorry, I am not in any position to assess what you ask. However, the developer I was speaking with is a long-time Russian resident with a successful 4-star resort on the south end of Jomtien among his hospitality investments and two housing developments in Huaiyai. The first is only two years old and sold out and there's about 30% remaining on his latest development which is less than 10 months old with a planned expansion that will triple it's size. Although he makes an effort to make sure there's no Russian exclusivity in his developments, there are others in the area that are totally focused on the Russian demographic to the point of their web presence not even having a Thai or English language option.

There are plenty Russian tourists but the ones walking the malls nursing their beers or being bussed to cultural shows in and around Pattaya are not the ones I am talking about.

Sorry, I am not in any position to assess what you ask. However, the developer I was speaking with is a long-time Russian resident with a successful 4-star resort on the south end of Jomtien among his hospitality investments and two housing developments in Huaiyai. The first is only two years old and sold out and there's about 30% remaining on his latest development which is less than 10 months old with a planned expansion that will triple it's size. Although he makes an effort to make sure there's no Russian exclusivity in his developments, there are others in the area that are totally focused on the Russian demographic to the point of their web presence not even having a Thai or English language option.

There are plenty Russian tourists but the ones walking the malls nursing their beers or being bussed to cultural shows in and around Pattaya are not the ones I am talking about.

“The first is only two years old and sold out “

But doesn't every condominium development need to have a 51% Thai ownership component? Are you saying that the market is still that strong that Thai buyers are purchasing as equally frantically as the Russians?

No he was talking about houses, villages.

The house behind mine is Russian owned, it's a +10mill baht house with own swimming pool and they always have 2 live-in house maids. The kids that are there sometimes attend Regent school, see the school mini van picking them up sometimes. They don't bother anybody, don't talk to anybody, don't say hallo to anybody, the front of the house is gated by a 3 meter high wall including a huge stainless steel gate. A/C's running 24/7, LOL.

Exactly what I've discussed with a friend a few days ago..

My guess is, that many Russians will never come back because of unfulfilled expectations.

They come from cold Russia to Pattaya with their wife, children, etc., to enjoy "family holidays"

But the crappy, filthy beaches, the dirty sea, even in Jomtien, missing sidewalks for just strolling around, permanent haggling with the taxi mafia and many other small, but annoying things, are far away from any expected "Sun holidays".

I suspect, many of them will travel (if enough money), to far better maintained destinations like Turkey, South Europe like Spain, Italy etc...

I seriously doubt, that most of the Russians will recommend Pattaya to their friends...

I seriously hope so.

• Like 1

And a real estate agent always tells the gospel truth.......a right!

• Like 1

Off topic posts removed The topic title is"

Have the Russian tourists dissapeared?

It is not about land or house ownership which is already well discussed elsewhere in the forum

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The question was the matter of degree of tourism and the bulk numbers. Just returned from Tukcom today. An empty shopping mall.

I seen the same thing today at 10:30AM

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The question was the matter of degree of tourism and the bulk numbers. Just returned from Tukcom today. An empty shopping mall.

I seen the same thing today at 10:30AM

I was there last night at about 7:00 PM and I have never seen it like that! sad.png

On the first floor where the mobile telephones are sold there were virtually no customers at any of the counters. As I walked past every counter people looked up from playing games on their mobiles to relieve their boredom and tried very hard to get my attention. Normally you have to wait !

Then I went to the top floor to the IT centre, just to see what was going on. On every upper floor they had absolutely no customers and in fact I notice some of the shops have even been closed down. The IT centre itself was like a morgue

Edited by Asiantravel
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

The main problem is that the Russian media has been scaring off tourists. They go out of their way to highlight the unrest, the curfew, and a "possible civil war" in Thailand. That has had a chilling effect on the Russian tourists here, and needless to say, the actual curfew didn't help matters.

I suspect that they will start trickling in a few months from now and they should be back in full force by October or so.

At the very least those that were planning or thinking of coming will be concerned by these new developments

Russian Tourists Stranded As Firm Collapses

More than 27,000 Russian tourists have been left stranded abroad after a tour operator became the fourth to collapse in three weeks.

http://news.sky.com/story/1312791/russian-tourists-stranded-as-firm-collapses

I must say ,just came back from Tesco and yet again no tourists buying trolly loads of clothes ,its been like that ever since i came back from my holiday in the UK 7 weeks ago ,there used to be loads of them ,now just one or two ,

I would imagine that July and August are the only times they get some nice weather in most of Russia / other surrounding countries, so they stay there.

Anyway - I like the russians and their neighbours - met a few, and they are good people (but of course). The usual complaint it "they look so grumpy" but they say "why do you all have to smile all the time at each other. We only smile to people we actually know". A cultural difference, no more, no less.

Exactly what I've discussed with a friend a few days ago..

My guess is, that many Russians will never come back because of unfulfilled expectations.

They come from cold Russia to Pattaya with their wife, children, etc., to enjoy "family holidays"

But the crappy, filthy beaches, the dirty sea, even in Jomtien, missing sidewalks for just strolling around, permanent haggling with the taxi mafia and many other small, but annoying things, are far away from any expected "Sun holidays".

I suspect, many of them will travel (if enough money), to far better maintained destinations like Turkey, South Europe like Spain, Italy etc...

I seriously doubt, that most of the Russians will recommend Pattaya to their friends...

I agree 100% with this. Thailand was good for the Russians because they could easily travel to here and use the simple 30 Dady Visa exemption at the airport. But as a family destination, once word gets around througout their country I can't see it being that fashionable any more. As for the large Russian population in Thailand, I think the recent immigration crackdown is having a big effect on the long stays, improper or no work permits etc. Last year when I took a long holiday of 54 days total, went to Phuket twice and was amazed at the total Russian Tourist package. large tour busses etc. all at Karon Beach. In Pattaya, the Russian ladies handing out fliers on Walking street. I am sure they don't have valid work permits. Then I get angry when I hear the stories of some english bar owner that gets fined because he picked up a broom or bussed one of his tables.

Very quiet in Jomtien. I must comment on the differences the Russians seem to have regarding working. It seems there are excursion sellers every few yards on Jomtien Beach Rd exclusively run by Russians for Russians. Rarely a Thai worker in sight.

The Irish Pub Harats (owned by Russians) has no Thai staff at all. The bar staff are male Russians. I asked them about this, since this is a restricted occupation, and they just laughed and told me that their customers were Russians and wanted to be served by Russians.

Good for them. I love the &lt;deleted&gt; attitude and the fact that they put their customers before the rules.We could learn a thing or two from them.

However if the backlash ever comes, you ain't seen me right?

Very quiet in Jomtien. I must comment on the differences the Russians seem to have regarding working. It seems there are excursion sellers every few yards on Jomtien Beach Rd exclusively run by Russians for Russians. Rarely a Thai worker in sight.

The Irish Pub Harats (owned by Russians) has no Thai staff at all. The bar staff are male Russians. I asked them about this, since this is a restricted occupation, and they just laughed and told me that their customers were Russians and wanted to be served by Russians.

Good for them. I love the <deleted> attitude and the fact that they put their customers before the rules.We could learn a thing or two from them.

However if the backlash ever comes, you ain't seen me right?

"The bar staff are male Russians. I asked them about this, since this is a restricted occupation, and they just laughed and told me that their customers were Russians and wanted to be served by Russians."

i am really admiring these russian people, they have more balls than any others nations! We should take example on them....

...... mmmmh oh no forget it, we are just a bunch of pussytongue.pngsad.png

• 4 weeks later...