Train derails in Mae Klong

webfact

Train derails in Mae Klong

6-9-2014-11-05-46-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A train derailed near Mae Klong railway station in Muang district of Samut Songkram province before dawn Monday but caused no injuries.

The train from Mahachai was arriving at Mae Klong station and was near Talad Romhoop railway market, when one of its bogies ran off the track and derailed.

The State Railways of Thailand said it took railway mechanics and wokers 4-5 hours before the derailed train could be put back on the tracks.

Old rail track and ground subsidence was blamed for the derailment.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/train-derails-mae-klong/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-06-09

Train derailment season is here!

I hope they don't forget to restore a painting and make some offerings like they did last year to stop the derailments....better to nip things in the bud.

Train derailment season is here!

I hope they don't forget to restore a painting and make some offerings like they did last year to stop the derailments....better to nip things in the bud.

Seems to me that we need 4 lines on one track, with inner wheels and outer wheels on engines and carriages.

attachicon.gifmk1.jpgattachicon.gifmk2.jpgattachicon.gifmk3.jpg

A wonderful little area of Thailand that the majority of tourists miss seeing. A world away from HST. Charming. Amazingly few reports of people being killed on the tracks, just a few squashed vegetables.

Well worth a day trip from Wong Wian Yai.

I used to live in Mahachai (Samut Sakhorn)... and the market on a Saturday was always very exciting. You wouldn't know there was a rail track running thru the centre of the market until a train comes. A sudden whistle, and boom... the tables pull back 10 feet.. everything opens a hole wide enough for the train to go thru, and once gone everything moves back and market back to normal. It's a wonderful experience, as you've seen. I'd recommend it to anybody, and it's not far at all out of BKK. ;)

• Like 2

Leaves on the track i suspect facepalm.gif Cannot wait until they get

the high speed trains,not that i would ever travel on one.

regards Worgeordie

Agreed! It seems that the concept of "maintenance" has been lost in Thailand. And I'm not just referring to train tracks either.

Although from Udon Thani TW and her family had two small restaurants in that market, on the tracks. Her daughter was born near by. Some family still there, fascinating to visit for sure.

A wonderful little area of Thailand that the majority of tourists miss seeing. A world away from HST. Charming. Amazingly few reports of people being killed on the tracks, just a few squashed vegetables.

Looks delicious! Is this what is being fed to Thai children?

I assume you are referring to the track-side vegetables and fruit. If so, I would think that the adults buying the produce are aware that they come with a liberal coating of brake dust, diesel exhaust residue, and high quality lube grease. nothing that a good wash & rinse in clean water won't remove.

I would be more concerned with Thai children consuming some of the fast foods that the west has introduced into Thailand over the last few decades; fried chicken, pizza, donuts, candies, chips and other quality junk food..

• Like 2

What happened to the promise made by the president of the State Railways that if another train derailed he would resign. A promise made the day before he was on the train that derailed on the new relaid line, that he was re-opening at the time

• Like 2

What's new. They recently shut down the rail coming into Chiang Mai in order to bring the rails up to standard.

A couple of months after they reopened it the train got derailed before it could even get out of the Chiang Mai station.

20 new locomotives coming and thinking about ordering 40 more. Maybe they ought to invest in the rail road bedding first. Then consider standard gauge for all the new rail roads that come in. Such as the talk recently of double tracking different routes. Keep an eye on the long run rather than the short run.

Defiantly not a quick fix or as is normal a band aid on a 30 centimeter long 5 centimeter wide gash in your arm.

Just my ideas.

This completely isolated 2 part system is a charming anachronism that has served commuters in the Samut Sakhon area for decades.

Just too bad that the SRT has never allocated sufficient funds for proper maintenance of trackage and diesel railcar units.

Having the break in the middle at Mahachai requiring a ferry ride is also an inconvenience.

edit to add

This is a perfect example of a system being 'run into the ground'. Shame really.

Edited by ratcatcher

regards Worgeordie

Like you, I can't wait for the high-speed trains. But I'll definitely be using them. Amazing how some farangs prefer Thailand to stay in the past rather then develop.

This completely isolated 2 part system is a charming anachronism that has served commuters in the Samut Sakhon area for decades.

Just too bad that the SRT has never allocated sufficient funds for proper maintenance of trackage and diesel railcar units.

Having the break in the middle at Mahachai requiring a ferry ride is also an inconvenience.

edit to add

This is a perfect example of a system being 'run into the ground'. Shame really.

I suspect there's just not enough demand to make it economically viable. It's a waste of public (taxpayer) funds to spend money on public transport in areas with limited demand.

I assume you are referring to the track-side vegetables and fruit. If so, I would think that the adults buying the produce are aware that they come with a liberal coating of brake dust, diesel exhaust residue, and high quality lube grease. nothing that a good wash & rinse in clean water won't remove.

I would be more concerned with Thai children consuming some of the fast foods that the west has introduced into Thailand over the last few decades; fried chicken, pizza, donuts, candies, chips and other quality junk food..

There are only a few trains a day, so the majority of the produce is probably sold with one train at most passing over them. Most produce is sold early morning, and maybe before any trains at all have passed. Also, most produce is off the ground and back from the tracks. I'd guess that less than 5% (maybe less than 1%) is actually near the track. Many uninformed comments appear to be by people that have never been to the market but think they still know what it's like. I'd be more worried about possible pesticides than anything that might come from the trains.

Edited by davejones23

regards Worgeordie

Like you, I can't wait for the high-speed trains. But I'll definitely be using them. Amazing how some farangs prefer Thailand to stay in the past rather then develop.

Oh, come on now. I don't think guavas who choose to live here don't want Thailand to progress. To the contrary! Progress includes understanding that things need maintenance to function safely and effectively, once Thailand grasps that concept more of us might ride the trains.

• Like 1

There are only a few trains a day, so the majority of the produce is probably sold with one train at most passing over them. Most produce is sold early morning, and maybe before any trains at all have passed. Also, most produce is off the ground and back from the tracks. I'd guess that less than 5% (maybe less than 1%) is actually near the track. Many uninformed comments appear to be by people that have never been to the market but think they still know what it's like. I'd be more worried about possible pesticides than anything that might come from the trains.

I haven't been, and I don't know what it is like, but my idea of fresh veggies (pesticide free) may not be the same as yours. Personally, I prefer that they aren't displayed near hot, cruddy, train tracks. Can you recall the last time the word fresh and rail road tracks was used in an adjectival phrase? I didn't think so. Usually, train tracks are connected with some sort of despair. In this case, of the agricultural sort.

Sorry, I don't like my produce to come from the wrong side of the tracks. Surely, there are better options.

edit to add

I suspect there's just not enough demand to make it economically viable. It's a waste of public (taxpayer) funds to spend money on public transport in areas with limited demand.

Remember, these are 2 separate lines.

The Mahachai line runs from BKK (Wong Wian Yai) to Samut Sakhon (Mahachai). It is a suburban SRT line with around 30 services a day. It will be rebuilt as the SRT Dark Red suburban line later on this decade. The first section is currently under construction from Bang Sue to Rangsit.The Dark Red line will eventually run from Thammasat Uni (north of Rangsit via Bang Sue and Hualamphong and Wong Wian Yai) to Mahachai. It will be around 80kms long.

The Mae klong line, is a completely separate line which commences from across the river at Mahachai and runs from Bang Laem (across the river from Mahachai station) to Samut Songkhram. This line opened in 1907 as a private line and was only taken over by the SRT in the early 50s.

It currently only has 3 services a day (from the previous 4). The station will be moved in a few years about 1.5km north and the last few kms of the line will be rerouted - no more market then though no doubt some enterprising person will creat a fake one just for tourists.

The line is well down the list of SRT line upgrades given all of the other more important priorities, hence the reason why the rolling stock is falling apart and the line is in poor condition and suffers from minor derailments. Trains run very slow on this line

What's new. They recently shut down the rail coming into Chiang Mai in order to bring the rails up to standard.

A couple of months after they reopened it the train got derailed before it could even get out of the Chiang Mai station.

20 new locomotives coming and thinking about ordering 40 more. Maybe they ought to invest in the rail road bedding first. Then consider standard gauge for all the new rail roads that come in. Such as the talk recently of double tracking different routes. Keep an eye on the long run rather than the short run.

Defiantly not a quick fix or as is normal a band aid on a 30 centimeter long 5 centimeter wide gash in your arm.

Just my ideas.

For what it is worth all can and will be done at the same time.

The long overdue upgrading and duplication of the network, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/732096-five-dual-track-railway-lines-proposed-for-quick-construction-thailand/page-4#entry7945295, can and will occur whilst new rolling stock is leased or purchased. The is an urgent need for new rolling stock as about 35-40% of it can be in the sheds at any given time due to old age (40yrs+) and a lack of spare parts.

BTW, those 20 new CSR locos are being leased, the first 2 are due in Sept, with the rest by the end of next year. New rolling stock and track & signaling upgrades can continue as planned, all are priorities. The money has been allocated by the previous Dem govt.

regards Worgeordie

Unfortunately, the NCPO is about to announce that they will not be proceeding with any of the HSR projects. They will have to wait until the next govt. They will happen in time given the bipartisan support for the projects (and obviously given money will be made).

The irony is that the HSR line projects were proposed by the previous Democratic government, had it been reelected in 2011 would have started on the Rayong HSR line (first proposed in 1996) by the end of 2011 (realistically early 2012). We'd now be talking about that line opening in 2016 and the ability to get down from inner BKK to the eastern seaboard in less than 1 hr. This line is financially the most sound.

PT wasted about 18 months reviewing the projects and changing their priorities to the two N & NE HSR lines. They then caused further delays by consolidating all transport projects into the 2.2 trillion baht bill. The "can do" PT Transport Minister really didn't do much at all apart from make the courageous yet necessary move to close down the northern section of the chiang mai line for much overdue and urgent repairs.

HSR will come to Thailand eventually but more like the early to mid 2020s rather than the mid this decade. It's similar to the expansion of the metro network in BKK, everything is running 5-10 yrs behind original timetables due to the dysfunctional political decision making environment. We all suffer because of it.

Oryx816, on 09 Jun 2014 - 12:10, said:
ratcatcher, on 09 Jun 2014 - 11:37, said:

Of course not. Have you ever been to Thailand? They eat stuff like this:

post-205945-0-30422200-1402305816_thumb.