TV connected on computer

JohnnyJazz

I've currently a 26" TV connected to a computer through VGA/HDMI converter (Chinese brand "KER". THB 1,000 ). It's working quite fine and now I'm thinking of connecting a 40" TV (Sony KDL-40W600B).

I just bought the converter 2 days ago and so far it's working ok. But is it a suitable long term solution for a 40" TV ? For a number of reason I prefer to use a computer than a set up box.

Guess the reason is to watch movies, etc?

Why not buying a DVD player and using a memory stick to watch whatever you want to?

Had such a box for a short period of time and never liked it.

HDMI devices are not dependent on physical screen size but on resolution and frame rate. If the TV is compatible with the output of the VGA/HDMI Adapter then it will work fine, that is, until it doesn't (meaning, don't expect the device to last forever)

Many people choose to use their laptop or computer as the source for TV media.

But as SirChai points out, there are other options. Transferring media to a USB Memory stick and using a DVD/Media Player (or other USB TV device) would allow you to free-up use of your computer. Other options include using a TV Media Player to fetch media (wired or wireless) from your PC hard drive or some other 'Network Attached Media Storage Device'.

Another option, as KhunBENQ suggests... If this is a tower type PC, think about installing an HDMI Graphics Card. This would allow a direct cable connection (no adapter) at native HDMI resolutions (better picture) and sound. Some HDMI Graphics Cards will also allow dual-screen operation, so you could view the computer desktop on one screen while viewing Media on the connected TV.

Yes, the device will probably work fine.

Edited by RichCor

HDMI devices are not dependent on physical screen size but on resolution and frame rate. If the TV is compatible with the output of the VGA/HDMI Adapter then it will work fine, that is, until it doesn't (meaning, don't expect the device to last forever)

Many people choose to use their laptop or computer as the source for TV media.

But as SirChai points out, there are other options. Transferring media to a USB Memory stick and using a DVD/Media Player (or other USB TV device) would allow you to free-up use of your computer. Other options include using a TV Media Player to fetch media (wired or wireless) from your PC hard drive or some other 'Network Attached Media Storage Device'.

Another option, as KhunBENQ suggests... If this is a tower type PC, think about installing an HDMI Graphics Card. This would allow a direct cable connection (no adapter) at native HDMI resolutions (better picture) and sound. Some HDMI Graphics Cards will also allow dual-screen operation, so you could view the computer desktop on one screen while viewing Media on the connected TV.

Yes, the device will probably work fine.

I'd assume that an HDMI graphic card is more expensive and I had my old PC with a graphic card that had a yellow connection for TV. If it's not a high end computer, please look for such a card.

Please also see:

http://www.wikihow.com/Connect-PC-to-TV

Guess the reason is to watch movies, etc?

Why not buying a DVD player and using a memory stick to watch whatever you want to?

Had such a box for a short period of time and never liked it.

And a set up box to watch TV ...

A computer replaces everything and offers additional functions (see VPN problem in an other thread)

Do you have a desktop PC?

Is so, better get a new graphics card with HDMI output.

That's probably what I'm going to do.

What else should I add ? This computer will be only for watching movies, TV and torrents.

Edited by JohnnyJazz

I recently replaced the 40" LCD TV (about 10 years old?) with a 50" LED in the master bedroom. The 40" was moved to my study room.

No problem wth the 50" with the media player, the 3D, the internet, and the XBOX 24 (via either the HDMI or VGA ports). However, the only HDMI port on the older 40" (a JVC) doesn't work with the XBOX though the VGA port works. Any idea? Too lazy to try connecting a laptop to the 40" via the HDMI cos they are currently connected to larger monitors.

Could it be the specs on the HDMI on the older TV do not conform to those in the newer XBOX?

Do you have a second hdmi cable to try?

I have found these cables can fail.

First, thanks for replying.

I used the same HDMI cable on both TVs. The XBOX worked on the new TV, but didn't work with the old TV.

No, I don't have a second hdmi cable. May get one later on. In the mean time, I'll try it on another 40" Toshiba LED (about 1.5 years old) to see how it goes.

I think you do have a point. But since it works with the VGA port I never get too serious about it until I see this thread and wonder if others have encountered the same problem. Thanks.

If you buy a new HDMI video you also might want to make sure it can carry audio.

I have a high end video (a year old) that has the HDMI output that allows me to listen to the audio through my entertainment system.

Gforce 660 TI is overkill for your application but if you dont want to spend a lot of time researching a card that will do what you want this card will.

Edited by ToYoungToRetire

I recently replaced the 40" LCD TV (about 10 years old?) with a 50" LED in the master bedroom. The 40" was moved to my study room.

No problem wth the 50" with the media player, the 3D, the internet, and the XBOX 24 (via either the HDMI or VGA ports). However, the only HDMI port on the older 40" (a JVC) doesn't work with the XBOX though the VGA port works. Any idea? Too lazy to try connecting a laptop to the 40" via the HDMI cos they are currently connected to larger monitors.

Could it be the specs on the HDMI on the older TV do not conform to those in the newer XBOX?

Does the TV have a DVI port? If so, can get a HDMI to DVI converter for 200 baht or so. XBOX a 360 I presume - HDMI cable is normal (replaced mine several times - had a puppy that liked to chew - just used a standard one from a TV shop). Might be the settings on the TV - might have to enable digital input in the menu, and set the input to HDMI (often needs to be receiving a signal before it will allow it to be switched to that input channel - so plug in first). Other than that, get someone to look at the TV port.

I've currently a 26" TV connected to a computer through VGA/HDMI converter (Chinese brand "KER". THB 1,000 ). It's working quite fine and now I'm thinking of connecting a 40" TV (Sony KDL-40W600B).

I just bought the converter 2 days ago and so far it's working ok. But is it a suitable long term solution for a 40" TV ? For a number of reason I prefer to use a computer than a set up box.

OK - the VGA RS232 is low resolution (analog), so will work OK for TV (other than HD) especially streaming with no real problems - though may get blocky.

Does you computer have a DVI output? If so, can get a converter for HDMI to DVI and then get full digital. A card with digital output will be cheaper than a card with HDMI output - so still might be better to go that way (DVI to HDMI is about 200 baht).

Does the TV have a DVI port? If so, can get a HDMI to DVI converter for 200 baht or so. XBOX a 360 I presume - HDMI cable is normal (replaced mine several times - had a puppy that liked to chew - just used a standard one from a TV shop). Might be the settings on the TV - might have to enable digital input in the menu, and set the input to HDMI (often needs to be receiving a signal before it will allow it to be switched to that input channel - so plug in first). Other than that, get someone to look at the TV port.

Thanks wolf5370.

Yes, it's XBOX 360!

Yes, it does have a DVI port, but since it works with the VGA so I won't bother with the DVI port.

'Might be the settings on the TV - might have to enable digital input in the menu..."

I have a hunch that that might be it. I actually did try to access the menu but some keys on the remote didn't work and I got frustrated and gave up. The remote now had presumably been repaired but still sitting in the car and I haven't tested it yet. Thanks again wolf5370.

The hdmi cable should automatically carry the video and audio signals.

The older VGA option was video only and required a separate audio cable.

Audio to a home entertainment system can be via an spdif, fibre optic cable from the TV

Personally I connect all my sources, satellite, video players etc

direct to my Yamaha AV amp and just use the TV as a monitor via an hdmi cable

There is even an hdmi on the front panel of the amp for easy, temporary access.

Users should note:

Some ThaiVisa members have reported issues when bringing HD (or HDMI) devices into Thailand and attempting to use them with other Thai-market devices.

A recent member brought over a high-end HD set but was unable to receive anything when they connected it to a HD DVB-S2 Satellite Receiver, until they purchased an adapter that was able to convert 50Hz -> 60Hz.

Some issues can be alleviated with an available menu option or an active adapter/converter, other times an incompatibility between Device Resolutions, Frame Rates (24/50/60/etc), or Content Protection/Digital Rights Management will prevent video from being rendered.

Idiot's question here: interesting question but I don't understand any of the answers!

I seem to have decent Internet speed as I can watch TV on my computer without downloading apart from in peak times when I do download sometimes. . I don't see why I should need a USB stick for this. . Is it straight forward for me to take a cable from my (5years old) computer to the nice big screen in the sitting room and get rid of BL£$dy True visions?

Sorry if this is a bit badly formed as a question.

Idiot's question here: interesting question but I don't understand any of the answers!

I seem to have decent Internet speed as I can watch TV on my computer without downloading apart from in peak times when I do download sometimes. . I don't see why I should need a USB stick for this. . Is it straight forward for me to take a cable from my (5years old) computer to the nice big screen in the sitting room and get rid of BL£$dy True visions?

many of the more Modern TV's have a VGA or DVI connector. These do not require a special card to use, but you will not get audio through the TV.

cooked, on 13 Jun 2014 - 15:20, said:

If you have HDMI connectors on the computer and the Tv set, yes then it's easy.

well, why tinker with adapters and converters?

You will always have a signal loss with this cheap Chinese ones, they sell here.

As mentioned above, a cheap graphic card (mine was ~800 Baht), if possible, will do a better job.

And for those, who alwys recommend connecting USB Sticks/Cards/$whatever to a TV....

I highly doubt, that you will be able, to receive Internet-streams through them.wink.png

I have a google chromecast and had no issues using it in thailand.

Why should one have issues?

I have a CC too, but how do you play local content from your PC or Internet streams from "non CC sites" ?

(And yes I know about the Beta features in Chrome Browser)

EDIT: I've found this in the meantime

http://allaboutchromecast.com/how-to-use-plex-media-server-to-stream-local-media-to-chromecast-from-your-pc/

Somebody tried this?

Edited by Turkleton

The larger screen does not load the HDMI input nor draw any more power through that socket than a tiny tv being used as a monitor.

I use electronic devices that are basically cheap until they break and then get another and stop worrying about little things.

Users should note:

Some ThaiVisa members have reported issues when bringing HD (or HDMI) devices into Thailand and attempting to use them with other Thai-market devices.

A recent member brought over a high-end HD set but was unable to receive anything when they connected it to a HD DVB-S2 Satellite Receiver, until they purchased an adapter that was able to convert 50Hz -> 60Hz.

That should only be an issue if the devices are from the USA

Devices for the European/Middle East/Asia/Australia market are all 50 & 60Hz compatible

cooked, a lot of people use torrents or other souces to download movies onto their computers for later viewing.

When they want to view the movies on a bigger TV screen, they can either connect their pc via the various cables (hdmi, vga, dvi, etc), or they can copy the movies onto a USB and insert it into their tvs or into an external media player like a DVD etc.

well, why tinker with adapters and converters?

You will always have a signal loss with this cheap Chinese ones, they sell here.

As mentioned above, a cheap graphic card (mine was ~800 Baht), if possible, will do a better job.

And for those, who alwys recommend connecting USB Sticks/Cards/$whatever to a TV....

I highly doubt, that you will be able, to receive Internet-streams through them.wink.png

I have a google chromecast and had no issues using it in thailand.

Why should one have issues?

I have a CC too, but how do you play local content from your PC or Internet streams from "non CC sites" ?

(And yes I know about the Beta features in Chrome Browser)

EDIT: I've found this in the meantime

http://allaboutchromecast.com/how-to-use-plex-media-server-to-stream-local-media-to-chromecast-from-your-pc/

Somebody tried this?

Yes, Plex works well with chomecast. If you don't want to go the media server route, check out "Videostream for Google Chromecast" in the Chrome store. It's free, and lets you pick a file on your PC and stream it to the TV. It even supports picking a subtitle file to play with it. The associated android app just lets you pause and seek while it's playing.